Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Davideverona wrote: April 12th, 2020, 6:30 am Happy Easter everyone. This year is a very strange Easter but I'm sure Jesus' one was far worse
Jesus had it great compared to my Easter. Jesus at least had a great view. I can’t get “Return of the Jedi” to stream in 4K on Disney+. They expect me to watch it in regular old 1080p? Jesus was at least getting a 4K picture of Jerusalem up on that cross.
Davideverona liked this
RichardLess wrote: April 12th, 2020, 12:12 pm
Davideverona wrote: April 12th, 2020, 6:30 am Happy Easter everyone. This year is a very strange Easter but I'm sure Jesus' one was far worse
Jesus had it great compared to my Easter. Jesus at least had a great view. I can’t get “Return of the Jedi” to stream in 4K on Disney+. They expect me to watch it in regular old 1080p? Jesus was at least getting a 4K picture of Jerusalem up on that cross.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My understanding is that Disney throttles the streaming bitrate to the point that 4K movies on Disney+ are not really giving you the full experience (the Star Wars 4K material I sampled on VUDU looked better than it did on Disney+), not to mention the transfers that are straight-up upscaled (no way 10 Things I Hate About You is a genuine, brand-new 4K remaster).

In potentially bad news for Ghostbusters: Afterlife's box office potential, Disney has positioned one of their shifted animation projects, Raya and the Last Dragon, the week after Afterlife's new release date. An animated family blockbuster spelled doom for Ghostbusters (2016), and I think Afterlife looks like it's specifically targeting families more than the reboot.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... bb8e22637c
droidguy1119 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My understanding is that Disney throttles the streaming bitrate to the point that 4K movies on Disney+ are not really giving you the full experience (the Star Wars 4K material I sampled on VUDU looked better than it did on Disney+), not to mention the transfers that are straight-up upscaled (no way 10 Things I Hate About You is a genuine, brand-new 4K remaster).

In potentially bad news for Ghostbusters: Afterlife's box office potential, Disney has positioned one of their shifted animation projects, Raya and the Last Dragon, the week after Afterlife's new release date. An animated family blockbuster spelled doom for Ghostbusters (2016), and I think Afterlife looks like it's specifically targeting families more than the reboot.

"That's bad, isn't it?"

Well, I guess no matter what, Afterlife will be facing off against other displaced movies. I wonder what the original marketing plan was going to look like at this point, because it did seem a little soft to me. Will Sony now go full-force so it doesn't get swallowed up into the Covid-19 vortex?
droidguy1119 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Damn. That date was perfect. It’s almost impossible for movies to release without a massive big budget tent pole right around the corner in the following week or week after. Movies are so front loaded now. Rare is the non holiday season movie with box-office legs. It use to be the odd big movie could sneak into March & have a big chunk of time to themselves before the summer season started. Not anymore. Now you start seeing more and more big movies heading to February(Valentines Day) after the big continued business of Deadpool & Black Panther or the 50 Shade movies & the recent Bad Boys 3. Unless a movie hits the zeitgeist in just the right way you don’t see those small drop offs week to week. Again, unless it’s Christmas time you rarely see a movie make more in its 2nd week anymore. It’s sad. Majority of movies lose 50 % or more in the 2nd week. And now with Disney owning all the big IP they just litter the market with content. The bottoms going to give eventually. Studios can’t go on spending like they do only to have Disney cannibalize the market.

Honestly? I know January has a reputation as a dumping ground but if I were Sony I’d consider January. Less competition. You’ve got great marketing opportunity in the holiday season & NFL playoffs. It could give the movie some real space to maximize its potential. It would be the only “big” movie coming out for weeks. The only issue is that January reputation.
Yeah, I'm not sold on the January idea in case covid's seasonal. I still believe there's a slim chance dates could change when things get better.

Have they made an announcement on face the music yet? It's to bad RoboCop Returns hasn't started fiing yet.

It would have been nice to see all three of these iconic eighty reboots back to back.

I just pray to all that's holy if Thundercats is thrown in it's not that Roar bullshit.
Kingpin liked this
I haven't been checking on robo's progress. Last I heard I think they were trying to get a director but the script was finished?

As to Weller coming back I'm not sure.

if he's to old for the role they can really fit anyone in the old robo suit. It's supposed to take place before RoboCop 3.

They did do that weird ass KFC RoboCop commercial. They could always pull a Darth Vader and use Peter as a voice actor and have someone new in the suit.
Plus Afterlife now has to deal with Marvel's Eternals, albeit in its 3rd week in the box office and Sony is releasing another movie 2 weeks later with Morbius. The only months not really plugged up with other movies is August which only has DC's The Suicide Squad on the 6th and September which only has DreamWorks latest animated movie The Bad Guys on the 17th. And who knows at this point if other 2020 movies will be pushed to next year or if movies already delayed to 2021 might continue with date moves. It's... a predicament. :sigh: Can they just beam the movie into our brains?
I don't think we're going to look forward to the changes that theatres are going to have to make post covid.

A Vaccine will be ideal but there's going to have to be more then just tempeture checks for these massive crowds.

I think eventually they'll have to offer movies to an in home service and make half their revenue back this way.

It's going to be air port security on steroids.
Ghostbusters Afterlife won’t be going to VOD. It will get a theatrical release. At least in North America. It won’t get a theatrical/VOD release combo. Why? NATO. No, not that NATO. The other one. NATO won’t allow some sort of hybrid release strategy to stay the norm much longer. Movies studios that release movies theatrically adhere to the 3 month theatrical window. Universal skipped the theatrical rollout of Trolls 2 & the head of NATO straight up threatened them in the press. So when movie theatres re-open it will be just like it was before. There’s the theatre and then later on there’s the home video release.

I don’t think people will be as reticent to gather in theatres/auditoriums as some are predicting. People are going stir crazy at home. They’ll go to sporting events and see movies just like they did before. Just like certain people said no one will want to fly or work in a tall building after 9/11. Well guess what? Planes are still a thing and Skyscrapers are being built taller & faster than ever. The world has seen Pandemics before. Toronto had SARS in 2003 and threw a huge concert to get over it. It worked.

GBA won’t be doing a hybrid release. It’s going to theatres. I give that my Richardless guarantee!
deadderek, moviemaker29 liked this
That assumes that longterm movie-going habits won't forever be altered by so many people streaming films now, and that people will still have theaters to go to.

From Variety: "AMC Theatres looks to be on the brink of filing for bankruptcy, a grim but impending reality that was only exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic causing the entire movie business to shut down.

The likelihood of a bankruptcy reorganization doesn’t mean that AMC’s 634 locations in the U.S. and Canada — and more than 1,000 venues worldwide — will be closing their doors for good. In fact, there are real questions about whether or not AMC can, in effect, afford to go bankrupt in this climate."

Just because they say they won't be closing locations for good doesn't mean that won't happen under restructuring. Just try to find a Toys R Us today.
Netflix took over video stores, shopping malls are dying off, it's going to happen at some point.

Dollar theatres are really going to be hurt by this virus.

You give it your gurantee Richardless but nothing's certain right now. This could last another month or two for all we know.

Shit I'm going stir crazy and my Govener just ordered another fifteen day extension on the stay at home order.
Wafflerobot, SpaceBallz liked this
groschopf wrote: April 16th, 2020, 10:20 am That assumes that longterm movie-going habits won't forever be altered by so many people streaming films now, and that people will still have theaters to go to.

From Variety: "AMC Theatres looks to be on the brink of filing for bankruptcy, a grim but impending reality that was only exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic causing the entire movie business to shut down.

The likelihood of a bankruptcy reorganization doesn’t mean that AMC’s 634 locations in the U.S. and Canada — and more than 1,000 venues worldwide — will be closing their doors for good. In fact, there are real questions about whether or not AMC can, in effect, afford to go bankrupt in this climate."

Just because they say they won't be closing locations for good doesn't mean that won't happen under restructuring. Just try to find a Toys R Us today.
Theatres will always be a thing. Always. Movies are making record amounts. Netflix isn’t a danger to movie theatres so much as it’s a danger to cable TV. Toys R Us died because is was a niche store. Walmart is still going fine.

People like going to the movies. A lot of people who claim doom and gloom just don’t seem to get that. People like going out. Like seeing a movie in a crowded theatre. It’s still one of the cheaper ways to spend a night on the town. Will AMC close? Maybe. But those buildings can’t be turned into some random grocery store overnight like most retail outlets. They are purpose built. So someone will just take over AMC and it’s infrastructure.

Corona Virus was in the news and people were still going to the movies until the government forced closure or the theatres voluntarily closed.

I can’t say everything will go back to the way it was before Covid-19 but when the world re opens movies will be there and people will go like they did before.
deadderek liked this
Here in Italy is starting to loose its strength.

Spreading is decreasing, healing is rising, every day more people leave the Intensive Care Unit.

Our government is studying a reopening plan, with anti Covid measures being loosened a little, first of all we'll be able to go back to work (with gloves and masks).

Things are looking a little better here in Italy after almost two months of lockdown.
Sav C, Glenn Frederick, deadderek and 4 others liked this
Spotted by Corey W. in the back room at Walmart! Says not to be put out before April 26th!

ccv66, SpaceBallz liked this
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]