By CaptCyan
This next section was inspired by Spengler 28's remakes of the Kenner Ecto

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =13&t=4013

The wheels. I loved how he filled them in and painted the white walls and hub caps. But I also hate having to use filler and the endless sanding to get it smooth to where I'm happy with it. I also wanted to do something a little different.

In my spare parts box I had 2 chrome truck tank ends that were about the right diameter to double as "moon" hubs. I pulled both wheel sets off and filled in 2 wheels with filler.

I glued the "moons' to the center of them and then made a mold of the 2 wheels.

I took the untouched wheels and drilled weep hole near the outer edges of where the white walls would be. I mixed up a small amount of black resin and poured it into the molds so it came up to the white wall level. i took the untouched wheels and slid them into the molds, pushing them slowly up and down to expell any trapped air. When I popped them out, they were filled in and capped, ready to go.

This time 'round I wanted shiney chrome for the Wrecto-2. I used Kraft Foil to this end. It comes in a few different colors, including silver. It goes on by first brushing the intended area with a tack glue. The glue stays sticky for a while after it has dried. The foil is then pressed onto the glue while it is still tacky.

No matter how hard you press on it, there will still be some minor spots where the foil won't stick. Knowing this, I left the hubcap section black to give it a pitted chrome look.

Mmmmm, shiney!

You can get this at most arts and craft stores like A.C. Moore or Michaels.

I think it looks pretty awsome on the grill, too.

By CaptCyan
I made a step plate for the rear bumper and then laid on the chrome twice to fill in any black spots missed the first time 'round. The licence plate tops it off.

By CaptCyan
Some random bits and pieces came along with a few of the Ectos I purchased. One piece happened to be a RGB purple proton pack minus the thrower. in another group I received a thrower/gun cast in orange plastic. I plugged the holes in the pack, trimmed down the thrower and added a handle grip and hose. I made a mold from these and made a casting.

I painted up the casting close to what a "real" pack would look like.

I cast and painted up 3 more. Then I rigged a platform to set them in so they would lean as in the movie.

The platform was sized to fit inside the back of the Ecto. As there is not much room between the door and the seat, the packs had to be close together.

The test fit looks good. I have to reshape the platform to resemble a gurney and work out a rail system that it can slide on and not fall off the back of the Ecto.

By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:awesome work! though Im surprised you didnt make a mold and casting of the Mattel pack, as judging by your photos, your refurbished Ectos are for posing with the Mattel figures
Thanks!

Good question.

I didn't use the Mattel packs because the "thrower" sticks out on the Mattel pack, making it thicker over all. There are 2 wires and the rainbow ribbon with connectors that are separate pieces and would have to come off to get a good mold. Squiggly wires and ribbons with connectors are a PITA to mold and cast.

As to why I used the RGB pack? The over all shape and size are close to the packs on the Mattel figures. The smaller bottom on the RGB pack works like a peg to hold them in place on the "gurney" and it was more fun to kit bash this just to see how close I could get the RGB pack to resemble the Mattel pack.

As the figures are all wearing their packs, the gurney should really be empty, but what gives it the wow factor is pulling out the gurney full of packs.
By CaptCyan
Thanks for the thumbs up and Crunch!

The next addition are the doors. As I have more Ecto Wrecto bodies, than sets of doors to go around, I found the need to make molds. Rather than cast the parts as is, I did some modifications. I filled in the "ghost holes" on the outside of all 3 doors. I then looked in the reference section and molded door interiors with handles.

I am by no means a sculptor of any kind, but they didn't come out half bad. After some sanding I gave them a quick paint up to see how they would look. You may notice that I shortened the depth of the back outer door handle.

I'll be giving them a better paint job, chrome handles and a decal (with chins this time). Here's a shot with the back door down.

By mikegb1984x
Captn im enjoying ur work. A lot of great ideas ur doing. couple questions... why did u leave a stripe in the black on the back windows? Also would u consider selling a set of 4 of those packs molded and done up?

also I think u should paint the top lights blue gives it a good look. check out my ecto conversion to see. but its just a suggestion.
By CaptCyan
mikegb1984x wrote:Captn im enjoying ur work. A lot of great ideas ur doing. couple questions... why did u leave a stripe in the black on the back windows? Also would u consider selling a set of 4 of those packs molded and done up?

also I think u should paint the top lights blue gives it a good look. check out my ecto conversion to see. but its just a suggestion.
Check out the pictures in the reference section. This one for example.

http://www.gbfans.com/image.php?url=/im ... /31/13.jpg

I'll let you know about the packs. As far as the light bars go, I have some blinking blue LEDs I'm going to put in them.
By scouttrooper
your work is great man.
I like the look of your paintet firehouse. Awesome work! ( I had to paint my firehouse...)
Where you find the labels for the roof parts ?
By ProtonCharger
would you be considering, making the door on a hinge so it opens to the side, like the real one?
By CaptCyan
scouttrooper wrote:your work is great man.
I like the look of your paintet firehouse. Awesome work! ( I had to paint my firehouse...)
The labels are from the photos of the restoration project right here on this site.

http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/31/0/

I wound up remaking them in a paint program because the lettering was either too thin and dissapeared when reduced or they were at an angle on a curved surface.
By CaptCyan
ProtonCharger wrote:would you be considering, making the door on a hinge so it opens to the side, like the real one?
Hah! Good call, I didn't even think of that.
By CaptCyan
scouttrooper wrote:your work is great man.
Here is an example of some new decals that I'm adding to the Wrectos. This is for the sides of the light bars. It only needs to be close at that scale, not perfect.

By CaptCyan
Kingpin wrote:What type of tape is that?
It's blue.

Blue painters tape that you can buy at Home Depot, Lowes, KMart and the like.

The trick is to have a self sealing cutting mat (that green thing with the grid on it) an exacto knife and a steel ruler. I lay out a strip of tape and slice it lengthwise into about 1/8" wide strips. At this width, it can make it around most curves.
By mikegb1984x
one tiny thing i think were ur painting the silver along the bottom of the door, on the frame of the car i wouldn't make that entire piece silver, id cut it in half with the tape. Thats just a opion though. lovin the wrectos
By mikegb1984x
Also does anyone have a pic of the front end emblem of the caddy? Id like to find one and print it out to stick it on my ecto. would give it a good effect. Thought I had seen a sticker sheet of a model ecto once that had it.
By pOOpTarT
I always thought it was lame when I was a kid that I had to buy RGB stuff that was made cheap, painted wrong from the movie, and inferior in quality and appearance... then pretend it was from the movie. You did it right! Great work!
By pOOpTarT
joeghostbuster wrote:I think Kenner did a fine job of replicating the characters and vehicles from the cartoon series.
Word... and I was a fan of RGB... but as a kid, I always wanted toys from the movie... not the cartoon. That's why these re-paint/mod threads make me so happy.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]