A questions if you please:

The ion arm end caps. I never realized this before, but they are painted black with minimal weathering for GB1 and the rod out the bottom is painted black too correct?

I noticed this today reading Julz's build and though maybe this was just on the Omni pack. It looks like in GB2, they weathered them more and removed the black paint from the rod.

Have I understood this correctly?
halliwax liked this
Yes. That is correct.

However, this particular part is probably the one thing that people are most flexible on, as far as compromising screen accuracy.

Most popular choice seems to be to leave the rod completely Unpainted and the block either completely unpainted, or heavily weathered.
PssdffJay liked this
35FT_TWINKIE wrote:

Most popular choice seems to be to leave the rod completely Unpainted and the block either completely unpainted, or heavily weathered.
+1
PssdffJay liked this
I'm thinking of keeping it clean, it really seems to be up to the builder's preference....
just wanted to say thanks jay, your threads really help me out. allot of my questions are answered without me asking and you have the pictures to help clear it up.

thanks for all your help in your PMs too.

N-filter down, looks super good!

i like your "ugly" weld as well!
PssdffJay liked this
I ended up having to stay at my office late so I lost a lot of the afternoon. I got home at about 7:30 and did lots of sanding. LOTS of sanding! I feel like Quagmire after he discovered the internet. I just finished now.

I finished sanding my bumper and then I started in on the shell. This so far has been my least favourite part of the build. I had lots of air bubbles under the gel coal break along the sharp corners of the fins and the plating and a doozie on the corner of the piece that you mount the PPD to. Can't think of the name. I'll post some photos shortly, it's currently drying after I washed it. It's a good thing this happened now and not later. At least I can fill them tonight, quick sand tomorrow morning and then on to paint.

Sunday and Monday to paint. Tuesday to assemble. Wednesday is the screening. Is this doable? I don't know. I've never painted anything like this before. I don't know how long it will take to dry.

Stay tuned. We'll find out!

Oh and I finally cut out the mouse hole for the thrower loom. It was actually pretty easy. I'll post photos in a bit.
Some photos for you.

The loom hole.

The chipping I had to fix on the shell.

There was a lot more but I won't kill you with photos. There were a few I noticed today after priming so we'll see how it looks after the paint is all dry.
Today I started on the paint. I had to sand all the Apoxie sculpt off from fixing up the chips last night. I borrowed my friends garage for this.

The n filter is taped off for now.

Many coats of grey primer.

Now I did take a chance and and went right to the painting after this. I have it 1 hour after the last coat of primer and then I taped off the parts I wanted untextured.

Somewhere in there I started to prime the bumper and booster frame.

And I started using this paint on the aluminum parts.

I hate those nozzles.

After the advice from Noodlemaps about the texture on his pack, I returned the spray texture and picked up some rustoleum hammered black paint. It had that same nozzle on it and it leaked everywhere. I ha to watch the drips.

From the few coats of that that I did, it doesn't look like it did jack squat. I'll be able to tell more tomorrow when I see it all dry, but I'm pretty sure it did absolutely nothing. I'm not sure why Mr. Noodle's texture didn't work but I wish there was something in between.

Some shots after I took off the tape.

alphabeta001 liked this
I finished the aluminum parts, bumper, and booster frame and mobo.

I'm really impressed with how well the bumper came out. I spent a long time sanding it smooth before hand and the primer did a great job filling in where I missed.

I know I'll have to paint this side again when I drill speaker holes and install the electronics brackets.

I'm going to give everything a good wipe with a microfiber cloth tomorrow. I think I've seen people say that helps with the satin black finish.
And finally, I gave the shell and attached N Filter a bunch of coats of the satin black.

It's still wet in the photos. I'll see how it is tomorrow and stick it out in the sun. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be able to either assemble tomorrow night or push it to Tuesday. The screening is fast approaching.
I can see the texture, it's very subtle... I kinda like it, but it doesn't necessarily pop out either... really depends on how you want it to look, I guess...
You're doing do great work under pressure! Wanna paint mine? :wink:
Looks great, bud. Now get all those fancy pieces attached! This pack will look great!
bishopdonmiguel wrote:You're doing do great work under pressure! Wanna paint mine? :wink:
I ain't painting nothin'! My finger still hurts! Seriously, I think it's swollen. Here is my can total:

2 cans of primer, 1/2 can hammered, and 6 black. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! ;)

Thanks for all the feed back today. Nothing crackled or orange peeled so that's a plus! It's sitting out in the sun right now, it's going to be 30 degrees today. I picked a lucky 2 days to paint because our weather had been crappy and rainy for 2 weeks.

I'll post some more close ups later in better light, but I think the texture you're seeing is from the original texture to the shell. I honestly can't tell the difference from where I masked off parts. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't have that nice texture I've seen before.

It does look pretty shiny right now. I tried looking last night but I couldn't find the threads on wiping it with a micro fiber cloth and or 0000 steel wool. Anyone remember or have any tips? I don't quite have time to start experimenting and then repaint if I'm assembling for Wednesday.
NoodleMaps wrote:Looks GREAT!! Makes me wish I went with the Hammered look now.
I wonder if the aluminum paint or metal paint you used is having anything to do with it. Just a guess, I have no idea. It could be a lot of reasons.

You could strip it down and repaint! ;) I hope you have some updates on your thrower because I haven't started mine yet. I need something to follow!
While I sit here and watch paint dry...

... I figured I would come up with a way to attach my Matty thrower. Whoa! Stop yelling!! It's only for 1 day!

A trip to the depo and I got some parts.

A 1 1/2" x 2" piece of PVC coupling or something, a screw in piece, and tenge dowel I already had from earlier in the build. The vaccine line is what gave me the idea. The PVC doesn't have threads on the inside, that's ok, I have a plan!

I cut about 1/2" off the PVC because it thought it was too long.

Then I drilled and tapped (crookedly of course) a 1/4-20 screw into the dowel and a hole through the piece with the threads.

The piece with the threads had a solid bottom and was hollow on the inside so the dowel fits right it perfectly.

The I put the threaded piece in the PVC piece and figured I would use 2 6-32 screws and tap those. I wanted it to look like it fits the ghostbuster theme.

And attached to the thrower. It all holds really tight with compression.

And I lied about painting. I'm painting it right now.
PssdffJay wrote:
NoodleMaps wrote:Looks GREAT!! Makes me wish I went with the Hammered look now.
I wonder if the aluminum paint or metal paint you used is having anything to do with it. Just a guess, I have no idea. It could be a lot of reasons.

You could strip it down and repaint! ;) I hope you have some updates on your thrower because I haven't started mine yet. I need something to follow!
This could of been a factor for sure. When I went up to the Lego store sale for the Ecto-1 I took notice of the different techs' used in everyone's packs. Each one was very different when you took a close look at them and I found this to be very comforting. I didn't want to discourage you from following that method, really wanted to show what happened to me after a month. It isn't horrible just needed you to be aware of what could happen.

As for the thrower, I am so excited about this. Bought a bunch of stuff. Waiting for that to arrive. Lots of little doodles and drawings were made figuring out how to create the extending tip using a solenoid. Should be much fun!

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]