Hey guys,
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they use on their packs. I'm redoing the hose section and I have an original split-loom hose but was thinking of doing a split loom with clear tubing so that it's not as flimsy. I was curious if the Split-less loom is rigid or if it's flimsy like normal split loom? What does everyone use on their packs?
TwointheBox312 wrote: March 21st, 2020, 9:31 am Hey guys,
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they use on their packs. I'm redoing the hose section and I have an original split-loom hose but was thinking of doing a split loom with clear tubing so that it's not as flimsy. I was curious if the Split-less loom is rigid or if it's flimsy like normal split loom? What does everyone use on their packs?

At first i was a bit doubtful with the more screen accurate split-loom, for using on my pack at first (so i had some splitless ready as well) too, but after actually testing around with it, i'm pretty happy with that - the splitless loom turned out to be a bit too stiff for my taste.

I feared that the split-loom might be like too wobbly or so, but since there are some wires to go through from the wand to the pack (which i strongly suggest to do, even if you don't have any fancy electronics yet) in order to make the magic work, it has just the right amount of flexibility imho. Plus...(in case you'd want to go for the"super accuracy"), there should be black electrical tape strips every few inches all around the loom, to prevent it from gaping open and popping too much (a bit of crackling when handling the wand will still be there)

SO - my advice is: go for the split-loom! :!:

Oh and btw, please.... DON'T make it too long - take a close look at the originals; they're barely any longer than absolutely necassary, just to be able to hang the wand on the vhook, without giving any stress to the loom or the connecting points on pack&wand.
TwointheBox312 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 7:02 pm Yeah, I was kind of leaning toward the accurate one too! Thanks for the input! I think the recommended length is 5ft for the hose, right?

Well that depends on your actual construction of course, some eyeballing is required i guess. The rule of thumb is: make it as SHORT as possible, but as long as necassary. ;)

The movie original packs had their looms pretty short and hardly stickting much into the end of the wand-grips, so thery were kind of zip-tied (or steel-wired) at the very end of the handle in order to prevent them from coming apart or pulling out too much.

BUT aside from that: i personally think 5 ft is a good shopping-length; so you still have some loom to hide inside the grip and the pack itself for safe attachement.

I'd consider as a "common mistake", to have the actual length between the pack and wand the full 5ft.

On my pack, i've stuffed the loom almost all the way into the wandgrip and the inbetween length is about 110cm (equals to about 3,6ft i quess), and even 1 or 2 inches less would still be spot-on i think.

Have a look at this screen-used original "spengler-pack" right here (the tape-wrapping can be seen here as well.):

More images: https://www.gbfans.com/wiki/Harold_Rami ... _Reference
I switched from split to splitless because the split loom made too much crackling noise when moving around from the edges of the loom moving against each other. I taped it with electric tape (maybe too far apart?) and it didn't really help. The splitless loom is a little too stiff and hangs awkwardly, I'm considering placing something like coax cable in it, to give it some weight. For my next pack build, I'm probably going to try split loom again and try to make it less noisy.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]