For users in Canada. Eh?
By Quendor
My Avatar says it all!

(not anymore...but I'm a big hockey fan)
Last edited by Quendor on June 25th, 2009, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dan AKA
I'm a Devil's and Hurricanes fan myself. Despite the fact the Canes have had consecutively awful seasons since they won the cup.

Though I envy my mom, she was at game seven of the cup when the Canes won. How f****g exciting!
By Chace
I don't know anyone personally that DOES like hockey!

I take that back...there's a guy that works here at the station that's from Philly....he likes hockey. But that's the only one I can think of.
By ohnoble1
Who dosent like a game that is 2x faster then on your feet with no out of bounds to escape 2.
By enchanted unicorn
Dan AKA wrote:Hahaha, never had a problem following the puck.
Yeah -it's like I'm watching tv and it looks like the players are just swiping at air...I really can't see the puck! Let's discuss the feasibility of a cyclotron sized puck, so the it's easier to see. or heck, just use an old tire maybe. meh, I still wouldn't watch hockey. It's a miserable game that makes your nose red.
By Quendor
"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of sports."
By Marsupial
Quendor wrote:"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of sports."
erm...

If Detroit is that good, how come do they have only 11 stanley cups? they've been playing hockey for 84 years...
Montreal has 11 Stanley cups just between 52 & 73... for a total of 24, as many as the Leafs and Wings together.

BTW, the Stanley Cup went to Montréal 40 times - 24 times to the Canadiens, but also to the Montreal Moroons, the Montreal Wanderers, the Montreal Victorias, the Montreal Shamrocks and the Montreal Hockey Club (affiliated to the Montreal Amateur Athletics Association) who actually won the very first cup.

Do I like Hockey? I guess so. The fact I was born in the city who invented it and that host the oldest and best team might have something to do with it. You do realize that nobody works overtime in montreal on game nights?

Now... you will sit in silence thinking why the Red Wings are NOT the best franchise of sports history... :P

BTW, the habs sucks big time this season. :( its a shame.
By Quendor
You must not watch Scrubs, because I was quoting Dr. Cox. And being originally from Detroit myself, it's one of the few things about Detroit I can be proud of. They are an excellent team, and beyond that it's all opinion (you could say they suck, because you might not like them, but they don't suck if we look at it objectively).

Oh, and hockey wasn't invented in Montreal. It evovled from Eurpean sports, and modern day hockey comes to us from Windsor, Nova Scotia. Just so we're clear on that point.
By Marsupial
Hockey is a derivation of La Crosse, a Native sport that was deformed by europeans in Canada, and of irish hurling adapted to the local climate.
Of course, if anything that vaguely ressemble hockey that was played before the sport was invented is of interest to you, yeah, it comes from whatever european places, modified by locals and natives, and was played somewhere in the maritimes... but that was simply not hockey.
The rules for modern hockey were elaborated in McGill university here in Montreal. even the original trial games that led to those rules in 1875 in the montreal's victoria's skating rink wasn't exactly what we call hockey, but it was definately the base for the sport. At least, you had a puck, not a ball...
Before that, well think of it: rugby and football have common roots. Are they the same sport? Soccer and hurling are similar in some way, are they the same sport? maybe Pesäpallo and cricket are the same as Baseball? Roots for a sport doesn't make a sport. official rules and organized games does it. And that, for hockey, came with the rules in 1877.
Before that, it was simply playing another sport, on an icy surface. Like field hockey is a derivation of hockey and not soccer or LaCrosse, hurling on ice isn't the same as hockey. Just so we're clear on that point.

BTW I don't say the wings sucks, 'cause they don't. They are the team with the 3rd biggest number of Stanleys, and are part of the Original 6. I enjoy watching a Detroit-Montreal game. Recently they did better then we did, kudos for Detroit.

And no, I don't watch Scrubs. Should I?
(and I was just playing smart, trying to put some history behind the sport on a post saying... yes, I like hockey.)

BTW do you play, or just watch?
I'm generally goaltender.
By Busterchris
Oh lord look what I started! I seriously should move up north, I love hockey! I love my Capitals through the ups and all the downs lol.

As far as seeing the puck, i used to follow it all the time, then i watched behind the puck, get to see more of the hits that way! Never had a problem following it though.

Remember back in the 90's when they tried highlighting the puck blue or red and ecverytime it was passed or shot there was a streak behind it? Man that was HORRIBLE
By Quendor
I didn't mean "must not watch scrubs" in the harsh way. And it's an awesome show, so I'd recommend it. As for Detroit...I wasn't implying you think they suck, but I am very used to being defensive of them, since my best friend and countless others I know do nothing but trash Detroit (both the city and the red wings).
By Marsupial
There used to be a huge rivalry between the Habs and the Nordiques (before they moved to colorado and won the cup) so I fully understand how friends can go about saying a club suck... Also, a friend of mine is all for the Bruins... almost every time we go in finals Habs VS Bruins, we beat them, which makes for good conversations LOL.

As for Detroit... been there only once. On my way to Chicago. Stopped, put some gas, leave. Seemed like a nice place.

and... In all seriousness, I don't know scrubs at all. thus me asking if I should watch... I watch little to no TV.
I guess I need to google it a bit.

Busterchris; talking about the 90s and the like... do you remember when there used to be no sponsors anywhere on the rink? now there's publicity everywhere, but it was nice in the old days with no markings of any kind. Also, the players used to not have helmets, you would recognize the player from their head, not their numbers.
A while ago, Koivu lost his helmet during play, got the puck, and scored. People compared that with the time when Guy Lafleur (nicknamed "le demon blond" - The Blond Devil) used to play.

Yeah, you should definately move up north. We definately have more hockey.
In the small suburb town I live, there's like a dozen rink built up during winter. There's one just aside the street from where I live!

Oh, and I really should post that picture of a fellow montreal ghosthead!

Image[/quote]
By Busterchris
oh yeah 90's hockey was awesome, it always seems like it was on the verge of becoming popular then dies out, i dunno it's wierd and people don't like to give it a chance, they are all loke, "no one watches hockey whats so great about it they chase a puck" my replay is always something like, well why do you like basketball, they throw a ball in the hoop and can't hit eachother.

I can't move up north lol I hate the cold!

have you seen the boards now? they have an interchangeable LCD billboard on there now! seriously that cost some bank. I was dying when we were playing the kings and Mike Green layed a GREAT hit on someone and the screen went blank. was funny as shit, it was messed up for the rest of the game. I totally agree with you on the helmets. it is harder to see and reconise the players now
By Quendor
Hockey has acceptible fighting...it's part of the game. It flows well, the score doesn't (usually) get outrageous, and it's just plain violent. I even watched a game where a player threw a punch at a referee (before being kicked out of the game, of course). What's not to love about that?
By giantsloar
I love hockey, my favorite sport. The NHL Entry Draft is tomorrow, Can't wait! It's supposed to be a deep class.

Anyways I'm into it all, NHL, AHL & NCAA. I wish they covered/televised the CHL here in the States a little more, because I'd love to start following that as well. Same thing with a couple of the European Leagues even if it's replays on the NHL network or something.

Now the long lull of summer is here - I enjoy playing baseball too, so summer isn't a complete loss - but I really can't wait till mid September when camps open up!
By Thurboldwrongway
I live in a town where the hockey fandom rivalry between Toronto and Montreal fans is almost a civil war. But I don't really care about it myself.

This may anger some of the fans, but I've often wondered why athletes get paid millions of dollars to play... basically, just games. Sure, there's the risk of injury, but there are far more dangerous jobs out there that don't pay millions. :whatever:
By The Stiff
WowThisIsGreat wrote:I love hockey, but not too much lately. I've been given the curse of being a Leafs fan. :sigh:
The Leafs do suck pretty bad. You could always cheer for the Calgary Flames!

Yes, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey was awesome. Gotta steal my N64 back from my brother.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]