By AZspidey
Im trying to think of a way to be able to have the microphones move back and forth, but I can seem to come up with a way to make it happen. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? I was trying to think of a toy that might have a mechanism in it that could be used for it. I just cant seem to think of anything.
By Kingpin
The motion is roughly within a arc of 90 degrees, isn't it?

Hmm, depending on things it may have to be a custom setup, like the wings of the PKE Meter.

Even Cyland's Giga didn't have moving ears. I don't think they lit up either but I may be mistaken on that.
By AZspidey
I like the second option, but unfortunately I dont live in the UK and they make you buy about $39 worth of stuff to deliver to the US. So I would need another option unless I can get someone to buy it and ship it to me.
-Todd

edit: I actually figured out how to make it move without using one of those.
By Cyland Props
Kingpin wrote:The motion is roughly within a arc of 90 degrees, isn't it?

Hmm, depending on things it may have to be a custom setup, like the wings of the PKE Meter.

Even Cyland's Giga didn't have moving ears. I don't think they lit up either but I may be mistaken on that.
Mine lights up, with four lights sequencing just like in the movie. They are also geared together so one moves and the other moves I just havn't had the time to finish the gear train and install the motor and displays for the main read out. For now it remains this functional until such time I can get to the rest of it. I'm looking at building another first then going back in and gutting the first and replacing the electronics.
By GhostGuy
Hm. Might be a bit more complicated than that. Moving the picton back and forth changes the distance between the pivot and the piston for the ears. The piston would be unable to move freely. That would have to be a sliding joint instead of a pivot, and that would cause the ears to move in and out slightly.
By Cyland Props
Somewhat correct but all you need is one piston, gear the two mics together add a link to a drive wheel like a old steam powered train. As the drive wheel goes around the link pulls one gear which engages the other gear both gears move but they move in opposite directions:

The trick is to make the link hole in the drive where the link can follow the gear though full rotation and pull the mics to both positions. I used a lollipop spinner's gear train but you can also use the gear train out of one of those .99 cent store "remote control" cars that come in a twin pack. The two gears that drive the mics need to be somewhere around 3/4" the ones I use came from a local surplus yard that have the same gear teeth as the lollipop spinner.
By hawaiiangb
hmmmm...im thinking of making one myself...and i always thought to keep it simple was the best approach...i thought that by shaving down the wheel so that it is oval would move the extended ends of a microphone apart...the rubber band would make it rebound when it is not extended...im using paint...so imagine the microphones not vertical, but slightly at an angle from each other...but the basic principle is there....

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]