By Sam G
It is accuatly a real thing, although you guys spell it wrong.

It is more commonly know as a Geiger muller tube but can be called a Geiger meter or counter.
They are used to detect levels in radiation (which is what egons doing in the street) and make an annoying bleep every time a radioactive particle passes through its sensor (what the sensor is, i have no idea).

They usually look some thing like this, with the sensor in a tube, hence the name Geiger muller tube.

But receintly i belive some are being made like this funkey little thing (which looks suspisiously PKEish)

I apoligise if this has been posted about before but im new here and dont know much about the post history, and i couldent find anything about it.
By Kingpin
Sam G wrote: It is accuatly a real thing, although you guys spell it wrong.

It is more commonly know as a Geiger muller tube but can be called a Geiger meter or counter.
They are used to detect levels in radiation (which is what egons doing in the street) and make an annoying bleep every time a radioactive particle passes through its sensor (what the sensor is, i have no idea).

They usually look some thing like this, with the sensor in a tube, hence the name Geiger muller tube.

But receintly i belive some are being made like this funkey little thing (which looks suspisiously PKEish)

I apoligise if this has been posted about before but im new here and dont know much about the post history, and i couldent find anything about it.

Not really, as listed in the script and all other material... the device Egon has in Ghostbusters II is the GIGA Meter, designed to measure Giga Electron Volts (and no, no such device actually exists). The Geiger Meter (or Counter) is designed to detect/register radiation levels as you mentioned. They're not meant to be the same device.
By ectoneon
and im pretty sure that the geiger counter was named after the guy who invented it. still though it woulb be a sweet addition to your ghostbusting gear
By Sam G
fifth_beatle wrote: Is that a handle on top?

Yes it is a handle on the first one, at least, im pretty sure it is!
fifth_beatle wrote: Definitely a GB looking device for sure.

ectoneon wrote: still though it woulb be a sweet addition to your ghostbusting gear

Yea, you've both got the same opinion as me, thats why i was sure they where the same thing, i'd love to get a real one, though i think their expensive, i'll have to look around...

The one in the second one looks so much like a PKE...
By jhsanny
Interestingly enough, some paranormal investigators use Geiger counters for ghost hunting. It really just depends on which paranormal theories you believe to be correct or possibilities. So, although the Giga meter and Geiger counter are not the same device, in the real world of paranormal investigation and research the Geiger counter makes a logical choice for a real version Giga meter.. More or less.. Just my two cents! :lol:
By jhsanny
AJ Quick wrote: In real world paranormal investigation... people are nuts!

Uh huh.. Strangely enough, most people think I'm more "nuts" for building props for a movie that came out 23 years ago rather than for my interest in the paranormal. So - Whatev! - to you good sir! :lol:
By PeteVenkman_Jedi
Kids today don't know nothin'. I cannot believe people didn't know what a Geiger meter is. It hasn't been that long since the cold war and living in fear of the bomb. grumblegrumble... largest nuclear arsenal in the world and they don't even know what a Geiger meter is...shakes head in disbelief.
By jhsanny
Quite frankly, it's not even really worth the effort to explain myself. After the last thread that ended in such a debacle, I'm not even going to bother with my point.
By castewar
jhsanny wrote:Quite frankly, it's not even really worth the effort to explain myself. After the last thread that ended in such a debacle, I'm not even going to bother with my point.
But... in the same amount of time... typing.... you could have.... pfwaaah, nevermind.

I agree, let's everyone just loosen up a bit.

Wasn't it figured out (might have been on Proptopia) that the Giga-meter used some mystery salad-spinner or something? I remember someone found one, loose, at a flea market, but couldn't figure out what it was or who made it, but you could clearly see it was the basis for the g-meter.
By Dan AKA
trendkiller wrote:ROFL

The last reply was september 11th of last year and all you have to say is "ROFL"? That's amazing...

An aside from Ghostbusters International Handbook about the Giga Meter.
"Giga-meter: One of Spengler and Stantz's latest inventions, the Giga-meter measures psychomagnetheric energy in GeVs - giga electron volts. Works really well at detecting mood-slime."

There is also a seperate entry for the Geiger Counter. :)
By trendkiller
Dan AKA wrote:
trendkiller wrote:ROFL

The last reply was september 11th of last year and all you have to say is "ROFL"? That's amazing...

An aside from Ghostbusters International Handbook about the Giga Meter.
"Giga-meter: One of Spengler and Stantz's latest inventions, the Giga-meter measures psychomagnetheric energy in GeVs - giga electron volts. Works really well at detecting mood-slime."

There is also a seperate entry for the Geiger Counter. :)

YA Dan, the forum natzi....."ROFL" was due to the nature of comedy in the previous posts.
Comedy, look it up...you could use some.
Like caste says..lighten up.
I will admit there was some ressurection on myhalf, my bad.
But what you DIDNT know what that I by accident submitted the post before I filled in relevant and helpful material on the thread subject.
But shortly after this post is made I will have it locked, and will just post my finding in a new, current thread.

have a great day!

And learn that sarcasim on these boards is not appreciated, or supported.
By Dan AKA
You sure are right mister!

They grow em good in Texas! I don't know what not I was thinking commentating on your clearly insidiously stupid post. I totally forgot that ROFLwaffle is indeed a in depth responce filled to the brim with tons of insightful information!

You're so right that I didn't know you somehow slipped to the send button before you could finish typing your post. In fact, I do that often and sometimes my dumb ol' self can only get out half a post or so. I sure od look foward ot your in depth response sure to follow soon.

And gosh, mister, you called me a Nazi! Never mind you dun didn't spell it right, but that's okay! Clearly I need to "chill out," after all I'm a Nazi. God forbid someone point out the stupidity in your dense responce. Woohoo!

And hey, I'm sure Chris will like the fact that you put words into his mouth, seeing as he never told me to chill out. But that's all right, I forgive you good sir. As you have opened my eyes to how the online Ghostbusters community, to which I've been a member of since 1997, and how it works. Those years as a GBN and GBHQ moderator must have just been done all kinds of wrong, yessir! Yessir.

Sarcasm is the root of all evil and you sir have opened my eyes! Amen!

THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

Ass hole.
By castewar
Trend, reviving a long-dead thread with a ROFL is kind of weak sauce - it often, as you've discovered, creates confusion (me) or a huh from the crowd (Dan) - and when efforts are made to at the very least to continue the thread topic, lazy swipe from Dan or no, please don't come back to the party swinging. Or at least come back swinging AND have something about the topic to add. And yes please, don't put words in my mouth, especially when my words were unknowingly aimed at a group of people who aren't even reading this thread anymore - they couldn't be more calm about it if they tried, assuming they remember.

I know it stings like I'm jumping on you a lot, but you brought back the dead, dude - you have a responsibility to any dead thread you bring back to life. This is your Frankenstein monster now - IT LIVES!

And Dan, to quote Eddie Izzard - Peace, peace, peace... peace is organized!

Let's either talk Giga or bury this stiff and go get a drink.
By GBFreek83
I wonder if Dan Aykroyd polished his shoes alot and had every kind out there on the market and every time he was thinking of new props or gadgets to make he was shining 'dem shoes o' his.

...makes you wonder...maybe someday he'll invent the cure to cancer...and it'll be made from a shoe polisher...

Hey guys I've been doing some updating and adding […]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]

To repost what I said in the other thread: I don'[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

Hey everybody, this is my first post so let me kno[…]