By Donkey8012
To answer the question about the Giga Meter, the body of the prop was a modified Scrub-'N'-Buff shoe polisher.
Has that ever actually been confirmed, or is it assumption?
By trendkiller
Kids say the darndest things!

Anyway back to my frankenstein, ON the subject matter. I might be useful to some to know that the use of radiation/gamma/ or voltage detection that is use din paranormal investigation is quite the norm. <-----look that is what we call slang...it is when we use words and shorten them or spell them wrong on purpose because we know those of higher intelligence understand the shorthand or humor in it.

And when researching the net to find the geiger-counters, they might want to look for "radiation detectors" instead of geiger-counters. In my research back in the day..I found myself with cheap units, but later found out these were only good for all things fallout. They measured radiation in excess of 100 rads on up to 500. This is enough to kill a human being quite swiftly. So, it is basically useless in said application. But more I am finding that the standard is changing. Atleast half of the geiger-counters found currently read from .5 to 2.0 , which are small amounts that would be useful in an array of settings. If it is paranomal detection or home safety. But just a little something to keep in mind when looking for a geiger-counter to use. O and if anyone has this Buffer, they want to lend out for molding and casting...let a brother know!
I'd like to get a kit back out there now that eric is retired.

I'll still take ya up on that drink, caste ;)
By castewar
Kingpin wrote:It was confirmed at Proptopia, here's some pics of a Redman Scrub 'N' Buffer:
That's the one - and they finally figured out the name too. Handy for ebay searches.

The next question I have is where the little sensor knob things came from - are they from a real device (like a real meter of... something) or a mic head or what? I guess I should follow King's link.
By AJ Quick
castewar wrote:The next question I have is where the little sensor knob things came from - are they from a real device (like a real meter of... something) or a mic head or what? I guess I should follow King's link.
You talking about these things Chris?

http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/23/
By Donkey8012
Kingpin, when you say "confirmed" do you mean someone figured it out, or that someone that knows for sure revealed what the Giga meter actually was? I'm only curious because if it hasn't been exposed by someone that knows for sure, and this is just my own personal 'pet peeve', I'm still going to file it under "coincidental/fantastic base for a prop." I'd check myself, but I'm not a member over at Proptopia.
By Kingpin
Well, someone had to have figured it out for them to know it was the Redman Buffer... Whilst we won't ever know completely 100% that it was a Redman without taking to the guy who made the original prop, given how incredibly similar the body is I don't think it's really in question that the Redman wasn't the basis for the Giga Meter body. There used to be a topic about the discovery on a old version of Proptopia, but sadly that was lost when the hosting site which held the topic records 'got hacked'.
By Donkey8012
Woah! My bad, my bad! :-)
By gbrob
I wonder if GIGA stands for something like G(?) I(?) Ghost Activity meter. I can't come up with anything for the first 2 letters.
By jhsanny
gbrob wrote:I wonder if GIGA stands for something like G(?) I(?) Ghost Activity meter. I can't come up with anything for the first 2 letters.
That's actually a good question. I find myself curious, as well.
By Zack
Giga- (symbol: G) is a prefix in the SI system of units denoting 109, or 1,000,000,000 (1 thousand million)

measures Giga electron volts, like Dan AKA said I think on page 1. GeV's. Giga Electron Volts :D

"I think we hit the honey pot!"
By GB_Wales
Hehe, when I was a kid my dad made me a fake gieger counter, coz that's what we all thought the giga meter was!!
Well I find myself enlightend but dissapointed...

Oh and PeteVenkman_Jedi, we learned about them in high school, even actually used one on some radioactive samples!!

Some alternative names:
Geiger Counter
Geiger-Muller Counter
the Geiger-Muller Tube is the thing on the end of the cord

This IS NOT a geiger counter, but an Ion Chamber, and it looks more like the GIGA Meter don't it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Geig ... 4hler2.jpg

When I remember to, I'll put up some pics of my childhood PKE and Geiger Meter!

~gbinuk
By FeinDTacticS
phantom50 wrote:Image

I like to play.

Brock
phantom50

LOL i smelled that coming a mile away..

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!