Originally, I just got one of these terminal adapter boards that extended the Nano with screw terminals. This made it easy to wire up the 7-segment display and swap out the Nano board for maintenance if needed.
However, with the Nano and Heavy Props boards in there, it was a pretty tight fit.
I also found out that I couldn't run both boards off one battery. There simply was not enough juice. It was clear that I would need two batteries, one for each board.
Since it was pretty cramped in there already, I decided to ditch the terminal adapter board. I first considered soldering the wires from the 7-segment dispay directly to the Nano board, but while that would have provided optimal space, I still wanted the option to easily take out the board if needed. That's when I had an idea to make use of some extra test wires that came with a previous Arduino kit...
Clipping off the male end, I had a nice little lead with a connector that would easily connect to the pins on my Arduino Nano board. So I got to work re-soldering.
And wrapped it all up with colorful heat shrink tubing...
...and tagged each wire with the appropriate pin number for reference.
While having to re-do something is always a pain, it almost always turns out better the second time.
[Gush's Humbly Endeavoring Proton Pack Build Thread]
[Gush's Uniform Thread]
[Gush's Giga Meter Build Thread]
The GhØstbusters of Salt Lake