Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
SonofSamhain wrote:Two songs that allude to the state of circumstances in the film & one ("Flesh n' Blood") that--in it's title alone--is so ambiguous it could be featured on any rock, hip hop, or pop album. I don't think that's what this new film is giving us.
It is an obvious joke though, flesh as opposed to ghost, blah blah blah.

Anyway, nothing wrong with disliking a soundtrack, obviously. I personally think there's a lot of piddling going on, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.
By SonofSamhain
Kingpin wrote:
SonofSamhain wrote:They genuinely take their audience for idiots in addition to releasing "music" that has no real emotional investment into what's happening in the film
I'm going to go out on the limb and guess you, like me, haven't seen an advance copy of the film yet, so you don't actually know that those songs don't have an emotional investment in what's happening in the film, you're just guessing.

Well, if the tracklisting is any indication of what's happening in the film, then I don't need to see the movie because I've already seen formulaic bullcrap like this a million times before...
in the discount bin at Wal-Mart.
Last edited by SonofSamhain on June 24th, 2016, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
Bullcrap is too nice a word for Wal-Mart. I agree, stop going there.
By Sav C
WhoaFoogles wrote:The original soundtrack had:

Air Supply - I Can Wait Forever
Laura Branigan - Hot Night
The Trammps - Disco Inferno

Air Supply, guys. C'mon.
Prepare to give me flak for this, but even though I really like the soundtrack to both Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II, the odds are that if the songs were on some different album I’m positive that I wouldn’t like them much more than I like new music. But they go with the visuals and are one of the exceptions to my dislike towards most 80s pop.

Hopefully the new soundtrack fits the reboot well, so that I can make an exception for it too.
JurorNo.2, WhoaFoogles liked this
By WhoaFoogles
SonofSamhain wrote:So it had a few songs that were album filler. As we all know, The Trammps' "Disco Inferno" was actually used in the movie for Louis' party scene.
All of the songs on both the GB and GB2 soundtracks are actually used in the film! That's what most soundtracks usually are and why the song selection often seems rather eclectic. I'm sure more than a fair few of the ones on the GB16 album are background songs in addition to the ones that play over the credits and montages.
Sav C wrote:Prepare to give me flak for this, but even though I really like the soundtrack to both Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II, the odds are that if the songs were on some different album I’m positive that I wouldn’t like them much more than I like new music. But they go with the visuals and are one of the exceptions to my dislike towards most 80s pop.

Hopefully the new soundtrack fits the reboot well, so that I can make an exception for it too.
100% with you on that. I wouldn't find half the songs on those albums even remotely appealing if they didn't trigger memories of Ghostbusters.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By SonofSamhain
All of the songs on both the GB and GB2 soundtracks are actually used in the film!
Uh, actually New Edition's "Supernatural" was not used in GB2. Neither was "The Promised Land" by James Taylor or "Love Is A Cannibal" by Elton John.
Sav C, pferreira1983 liked this
By Sav C
Didn't realize James Taylor was on the soundtrack, I'll have to check that out. Was it a cover of the Bruce Springsteen song, or was it a different "The Promised Land"?
By SonofSamhain
There are a few newer artists that I think would've been great at capturing the energy that's reminiscent of the previous GB films, but still make it contemporary.
They have an obvious 80's-inspired Pop-Funk & New Wave influence, but still give it enough magic that make it all their own.

One is a group named EKKAH. Here are two of their latest singles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWOqDifYTnk
Space Between Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ffZOZkq-7w
What's Up

The other is a former drummer for British R&B singer Jesse Ware who's now an artist in his own right, Dornik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMDZ9M5WKg
Strong

The last is a Canadian duo by the name of Nouvel Age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHhi4uvAp4
What Have You Done For Me

Again, this is just my personal taste in music that I feel sort of reflects that perfect blend of old & new.
A few songs like this sprinkled throughout the soundtrack would've given the music aspect of GB16 a good look.
By SonofSamhain
Sav C wrote:Just looked him up, different James Taylor...
Yeah, I believe he's referred to as James "J.T." Taylor.
Sav C liked this
By WhoaFoogles
SonofSamhain wrote:Uh, actually New Edition's "Supernatural" was not used in GB2. Neither was "The Promised Land" by James Taylor or "Love Is A Cannibal" by Elton John.
Haha, you're totally right. I could swear I heard a few of those in the movie itself, but that's probably a heavy cloud of nostalgia fogging up my memory. Searching around in disbelief though, led me to this neat article with some bits about putting together the GB2 soundtrack:
Music supervisor Peter Afterman and director Ivan Reitman decided that most of the soundtrack music didn't fit, but by then the record company had made promises to the artists. "Looking back, we probably shouldn't have had a soundtrack," says Afterman, "but the producer and record company wanted the added promotion of what they thought would be the summer's megahits."
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
SonofSamhain wrote:Well, if the tracklisting is any indication of what's happening in the film
They aren't always an accurate yardstick, what sort of "insight" could we gleam from Deadpool having Angel of the Morning, Carless Whisper, and You're the Inspiration?

You're probably not going to see the film anyway, so there's no need to use the soundtrack like it's some sort of rosetta stone to unlocking a deeper understanding of the film's plot.
Sav C liked this
By Raystantz Italy
Also because we already had Stantz1984 from reddit who told us the entire detailed plot.
By JurorNo.2
Some guy on the Internet (who would rather anonymously bash his employer than just find another job) saying "It's not funny" isn't a spoiler. Nor is a written description of a video and auditory medium a spoiler.
By JurorNo.2
Raystantz Italy wrote:So writing that the movie ends with Patty hearing the name Zuul is not a spoiler?
An extremely incomplete one.
By Raystantz Italy
Aaaand, the trailers spoiled the movie too. I.e. Kevin being possessed by Rowan and releasing the ghosts.
By JurorNo.2
Trailers have existed since 1913, as spoilers they are fairly harmless. Plus, they are what the marketing department wants you to see. I blame Comic Con for trailers getting far more attention than they deserve lately.
By Kingpin
JurorNo.2 wrote:Plus, they are what the marketing department wants you to see.
Although that can at times be at odds and opposition to what the filmmakers' want us to see before seeing the actual film.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Kingpin wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Plus, they are what the marketing department wants you to see.
Although that can at times be at odds and opposition to what the filmmakers' want us to see before seeing the actual film.
As far as trailers go, Star Trek Beyond has really exposed the man behind the curtain. Look at its two trailers back to back, do they even remotely seem like the same movie?
By SonofSamhain
Kingpin wrote:
SonofSamhain wrote:Well, if the tracklisting is any indication of what's happening in the film
They aren't always an accurate yardstick, what sort of "insight" could we gleam from Deadpool having Angel of the Morning, Carless Whisper, and You're the Inspiration?

You're probably not going to see the film anyway, so there's no need to use the soundtrack like it's some sort of rosetta stone to unlocking a deeper understanding of the film's plot.

Of course it isn't always an accurate yardstick. If it was, you'd likely put a spoiler tag across it.

Every movie is different. The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is a perfect example of what you just mentioned & in the context of past Ghostbusters films, that is what my position is based on. GB 1 & 2's soundtracks aren't in any way road maps that divulge every single plot point from beginning to end, but they do provide atmosphere & there are some indicators sprinkled throughout--hence the Bus Boys' "Cleanin' Up the Town" or Bobby Brown's "On Our Own"--as to the characters' journey or the mood at certain moments in the film.
GB16's tracklisting (other than the theme & pointing out the fact the the film's heroes are "girls" or "women") offers none of that.

We're debating soundtracks here, so whether or not I choose to see the movie isn't the issue here. Again, you're turning this into some personal vendetta against the film, but when something is bad, I just call it like I see it. Other than the updated Ray Parker, Jr. theme, they've given me nothing else to celebrate about this movie. It's my opinion. Big whoop. :whatever:
By Kingpin
SonofSamhain wrote:Again, you're turning this into some personal vendetta against the film
I'm stating an assumption based on prior remarks. The only person making this topic personal is you, with potshots like this:
SonofSamhain wrote:Of course it isn't always an accurate yardstick. If it was, you'd likely put a spoiler tag across it.
By SonofSamhain
Kingpin wrote:
SonofSamhain wrote:Again, you're turning this into some personal vendetta against the film
I'm stating an assumption based on prior remarks. The only person making this topic personal is you, with potshots like this:
SonofSamhain wrote:Of course it isn't always an accurate yardstick. If it was, you'd likely put a spoiler tag across it.

That's based on prior experience. Which is true by the way, not an assumption.
By PeteVenkman_Jedi
This soundtrack is horrible, as a musician with schooling in classical music this is my opinion. Yes, I studied classical guitar in school and played as a rock and roll guitarist and singer in bands for decades. I believe I have the experience and knowledge to call a spade a spade, and this soundtrack is garbage. I also like many forms of EDM and other electronic music before anyone accuses me as being an old fart. Pure pop drivel. The music, like the movie, is aiming extremely low.

The only redeeming track may be the one by Elle King, I like her style, but this isn't one of her best tracks.
Sav C liked this
By Travis Burrell
Raystantz Italy wrote:So writing that the movie ends with Patty hearing the name Zuul is not a spoiler?
thanks a lot. :( I think im just going to stay off the internet for another week until the world premier.
By SonofSamhain
Travis Burrell wrote:Ive updated to whats available so far on youtube:

Now I can get behind that Walk the Moon cover. Nicely done! The lead singer almost sounds like John Smith on the RGB theme.
Travis Burrell liked this
By Scum
EddieSpenser wrote:The score is out on iTunes & Spotify and it's quite good. Far from Elmer Bernstein's but it's good.
I listened to the score while watching The Ultimate Fighter finale last night, gotta say it complimented people punching other people in the face pretty good!

I do have to say though, it's a very epic score, very John Williams esque. The first song "The Aldridge Mansion" reminded me of something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. "Ley Lines" and "The Fourth Cataclysm" were the only two that pulled in some of the iconic GB theme.

All in all it was pretty good, very spooky, but I could have done without every other song sounding like a "duel of fates" cover.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]