Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Hello guys!

As a huge fan of the franchise, I decided to translate this movie to my language.
Actually, I have already translated over 95% of the movie.
However, some parts are really incomprehensible.
So, I need someone who is -preferably- native English speaker, to give me a hand.

If anyone owns a copy of the film and can help, I would be very grateful.

Just 40 or so sentences.

E.g. At 16:08 minute, Erin and Abby talk about "APX shift" or "MAPX shift".
I can't tell.
Which is it? And what does the acronym stands for?
It is definitely tricky. Yes.
Copies through piracy aren't that good to be honest.
I've been translating movies for years.
For this one a proper english subtitle has not yet been released.
So. I have been trying to translate by listening to dialogues. Pretty hard and time consuming thing.
However, I have completed almost 95% of the movie.
It would be a shame if I don't give it a try anyway for the remaining dialogues.
Just need some assistance for a few sentences.
Actually, I've been missing 50 sentences and not 40 as I said earlier.
So, I'm pretty close.

I'm open to suggestions about the first sentence i posted.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to assist me.
Last edited by Lensman on August 9th, 2016, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tough one.

How would you say it in your own words?

Sentence #2
At 22:09 the girls were stealing the equipment when the annoying Dean shouted at them, what?
"Hey that [blank] [blank] garbage belongs to this school".
Perhaps there's one or two words in the blanks.

Sentence #3
At 30:22 Abby says...
"[blank] lawsuit waiting to happen"

Sentence #3
At 32:42 Patty says...
"...as the first chinese [blank] in New York. Did you know that?"

Sentence #4
At 35:10 Erin says...
"it looks like a fishing scorch"
Ok, that "scorch" is a tool for fishing or is it just a cut or burn caused by a fish hook?

Sentence #5
At 35:38 Erin says...
"Alright, Holtzmann, now is not the time you messing with me".
and Abby shouts something totally incomprehensible.
Something like "karim..." :lol:

Sentence #6
At 36:43 Holtzmann says...
" ok, Erin [blank] [blank]"
and Abby responds probably with a phrase...
"[blank], Aladdin".

Sentence #7
At 38:21 Abby says... "...anytime"
to the annoying internet comment
and Erin responds to Abby...
"no, no, no, [blank]"

Sentence #8
At 38:57 Holtzmann says...
"...and he used chromium aloe for the whole"
Is chromium aloe a real thing? I didn't find any info about it online.

Sentence #9
At 39:40 Erin says...
"Contactors of the Metaphysical Examination".
Is a "Contactor" a real thing?

Sentence #10
At 41:33 Holtzmann says...
"...the one where you [blank] almost [blank], remember?"
This is what I can recall from memory:
Lensman wrote:Sentence #2
At 22:09 the girls were stealing the equipment when the annoying Dean shouted at them, what?
"Hey that useless garbage belongs to this school".

Sentence #3
"You're a lawsuit waiting to happen"

Sentence #3
"...as the first chinese gambling den in New York. Did you know that?"

Sentence #4
"it looks like fission scorching"

Sentence #5
"Alright, Holtzmann, now is not the time to mess around".

Sentence #8
"...and he used a chromium alloy for the whole"

Sentence #9
"Conductors of the Metaphysical Examination".

Sentence #10
"...the one where you were almost killed, remember?"
mrmichaelt wrote:AP-xH shift. I don't think an acronym was ever spelled out, but it's a sign you're in the presence of a ghost -- your ears pop.
AP must stand for "air pressure" not sure about the XH.
Kingpin wrote: At 39:40 Erin says...
"Conductors of the Metaphysical Examination".
My shirt arrived a few days ago!

Kingpin liked this
Thanks, Kingpin.
I'll strike out the ones you got right.

Sentence #2
"Hey that [blank] [blank] garbage belongs to this school".

Sentence #3
"[blank] lawsuit waiting to happen"
Code: Select all
Sentence #3
"...as the first chinese [b]gambling den[/b] in New York. Did you know that?"
Done

Sentence #4
"it looks like a [b]fission[/b] scorch]"
Done

Sentence #5
"Alright, Holtzmann, now is not the time you messing with me".

Sentence #6
At 36:43 Holtzmann says...
" ok, Erin [blank] [blank]"
and Abby responds probably with a phrase...
"[blank], Aladdin".

Sentence #7
At 38:21 Abby says... "...anytime"
to the annoying internet comment
and Erin responds to Abby...
"no, no, no, [blank]"
Sentence #8
"...and he used [u]chromium alloy[/u] for the  whole"
Done
Sentence #9
"[b]Conductors[/b] of the Metaphysical Examination".
Done
Sentence #10
"...the one where you[b] were almost killed[/b], remember?"[/quote]
Done
Regarding the AP-xH shift, to be honest I don't hear any "H" sound.
All I hear is "...an APX shift". Something like that.
The APX acronym does not ring any bells to me. I mean, googled it and found nothing.
Anyway.

I'll post some more sentences in a sec.

Again, guys, thanks for the assistance. :cool:
Kingpin wrote:The glowy text is often how the Ghostbusters logo was depicted on merchandise, Ivo was simply reflecting that with his T-shirt.
I do wish new Ghostbusters merchandise had that, it would make it look less bland. Yes 2009 video game, I'm looking at you! :-D
Glows are trickier to render because you basically have to depict them as a halftone dot pattern, even after all my years of photoshop and illustrator mucking about I still find it difficult to create a halftone pattern I'm happy with, meanwhile just typing the text in white, or black against a coloured background is easy for something that the designers probably can't spent too much time on.
Kingpin wrote:Glows are trickier to render because you basically have to depict them as a halftone dot pattern, even after all my years of photoshop and illustrator mucking about I still find it difficult to create a halftone pattern I'm happy with, meanwhile just typing the text in white, or black against a coloured background is easy for something that the designers probably can't spent too much time on.
With today's technology I thought it would be easier.
pferreira1983 wrote:With today's technology I thought it would be easier.
As we've established with a few members of this forum in recent years, it isn't always easy as some people assume it is (although I wish it was easier to make halftone patterns in Photoshop/Illustrator, if it were I'd use them more often for my T-shirt design work).
Mostly, but not exclusively, it can be used in general printing as well, and often shows up in manga publications. You can make glow effects without halftones on things like business cards and posters, but sometimes the effects can vary. It's very useful for making glow effects on graphics you want to scale to any size, if you can save the pattern as a vector file.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:As we've established with a few members of this forum in recent years, it isn't always easy as some people assume it is (although I wish it was easier to make halftone patterns in Photoshop/Illustrator, if it were I'd use them more often for my T-shirt design work).
I don't understand Kingpin. Back in the 80s they managed to do the glow on the titling absolutely fine. Why in this day and age with advancements in graphical technology can they find it harder to add a glow, maybe you can explain? :-?
pferreira1983 wrote:Back in the 80s they managed to do the glow on the titling absolutely fine.
It's not glows in general, just using halftone patterns to render glows on some printed packaging, and on T-shirts.

My prevailing memory of T-shirts bearing the Ghostbusters title logo is of black text on a light background, and at most, with a stroke added to it to suggest the glow. Pretty basic to what can be achieved now.

If you can locate a 1980s Ghostbusters T-shirt with a glow like the "Conductors of the Metaphysical Examination" one, then I'd be interested to see it, but I'm willing to bet you the majority of Ghostbusters T-shirts in the 1980s didn't feature any glow effect on the text.

I believe that glows of the quality of the one seen on the "Conductors of the Metaphysical Examination" shirt are a more recent phenomenon, thanks to the advance of T-shirt printing methods. Let's remember that T-shirt designs were much more simple in the 1980s than they are now.

It was easier to print the glow effect on flat cardboard packaging, compared to on fabric, which is why it was present on the old Ghostbusters VHS boxes and Kenner toys, even so, I imagine you'd still find it's probably achieved with a halftone pattern, like so:

Link
pferreira1983 wrote:Why in this day and age with advancements in graphical technology can they find it harder to add a glow, maybe you can explain? :-?
I don't find it harder to add glows in general with Photoshop, I find it harder to create half-tone glows because the part of the software that makes them (by converting a colour gradient, or a pattern) doesn't result in the dots being true circles. Because of those imperfections, and my perfectionism, I usually make the patterns by scratch.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:I don't find it harder to add glows in general with Photoshop, I find it harder to create half-tone glows because the part of the software that makes them (by converting a colour gradient, or a pattern) doesn't result in the dots being true circles. Because of those imperfections, and my perfectionism, I usually make the patterns by scratch.
That absolutely doesn't answer my question but thanks for trying anyway. :)
I'm not sure I understand the question then, as I thought I did answer it.

Glows on flat, cardboard-based packaging made with non-computer methods are no more difficult to do now than they were in the 1980s, if anything they're probably easier. Glows on fabrics are trickier because you have to work with the flex in the fabric, and whatever limitations you have with screen printing, which I believe is why while we see detailed glows on shirts now, you didn't get them that much, if at all in the 1980s.

Non halftone-style glows are easy to do on computers and on packaging, sometimes they may not look as good as a halftone glow, but they'll still look good enough. Halftone-style glows are trickier, especially if made as a vector file (which is usually the ideal in printing as it can be scaled to any size), because some computer software don't convert the patterns properly into halftone dots.
Kingpin wrote:Non halftone-style glows are easy to do on computers and on packaging, sometimes they may not look as good as a halftone glow, but they'll still look good enough. Halftone-style glows are trickier, especially if made as a vector file (which is usually the ideal in printing as it can be scaled to any size), because some computer software don't convert the patterns properly into halftone dots.
So you're saying it depends on where the title is printed on?
It also depends if it's printed or pressed.
Pressed is more expensive, but gives a better quality, longlivety and sharpness.
Printing however, is cheaper but is capable of halftones a la Photoshop, but works like a picture (if blown up you can see the pixels).
Kingpin liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]