Discuss storylines and progress on fan fiction and other works in progress and post links to your Fan Fiction here on Ghostbusters Fans.
By GB Ty
Well, my newest story is this GB one. It has taken me the better part of two months to write, and I’m pretty happy about it. It’s based on my small team (sad to say it’s just my Dad and I), and a villain I made up for a possible fan-film (something else I’d like to do someday). And after awhile trying to come up with a big flashy title I decided to title it, ‘Ghostbusters of Kern County’. Hope you guys give it a chance, enjoy.

Ghostbusters of Kern County

The skies over Taft, California grow dark as it turns to night. But something was amiss as in it wasn’t your typical darkness. Far off in the distance way over the dozens of hills surrounding the small town, a large portal appears. A car races towards the occurrence, as bright red strobe lights on top flash. The driver slams on the brakes, and gets out as he runs to the back to get his Proton Pack. He wraps a brown bag around his shoulder as he takes out a PKE device, soon makes his way over to the portal. “A rift portal, here, in California…?” He asks himself. “Not impossible, but very unlikely. Most of the paranormal occurrences are in New York. This is huge.” He takes some readings with his PKE device. Afterwards a large energy beam bursts out of the rift. He jumps out of the way and runs towards his car. “Wow, this is awesome. But it probably means the end of our world…”

He drives away as a person steps out of the energy beam. This thing was amour clad; gray skinned, and had a menacing scull cane. He had long grey hair, two stubbing horns, and black eyes. “My attempts to enter this world was successful, unfortunately it has cost me sever power loss. But there is an artifact to help with that. Soon this world will be mine,” said Fearus. He just disappears, along with the rift portal.

-----

Prologue -

Ghosts are not very common where Ty Keys, a freelance paranormal investigator, lives. Ghosts tend to haunt the older parts of our world, like for example the eastern part of the United States. So for Ty, witnessing something as incredible as a full blown rift portal was very unnerving for him. More dark and evil entities usually use a rift portal to get into our world. But the destruction that this ‘Fearus’ wishes to bring, is for more than anyone can imagine.

-----

The individual scanning the rift portal earlier returns home, and parks the Ecto in the garage. His garage is pretty much his headquarters. A Containment Unit in the far corner, Traps lining the work bench, and a place to hang up his Proton Pack. Next to his pack is a prototype pack, based off a series two ‘extreme model’. He goes inside the house over to a desk computer, and connects his PKE into it. “Wow, some of the largest PKE readings I’ve ever got. According to Tobin’s, these reading are close to Deity class. This is troubling. I’ll have to call in a professional team.” Ty thought as he examines the data.

A Rift Portal appears over some kind of ancient ruins; soon Fearus walks out of the beam that emitted from the portal. “I believe the humans called this civilization ‘Samaria’, that accursed book should be near,” exclaimed Fearus. He slowly makes his way to a decrepit old temple. Once he’s inside he notices a pedestal. “The Dark Ones might have put a spell over the book, stubborn infidels,” said Fearus. He takes his cane and taps it on the ground three times. A clear bubble around the pedestal glows red then disappears. He walks over and picks up the skin bound book, then he says – “The Necronomicon Ex Mortis is mine!”

The Ghostbuster is still going at it on his computer, his Father walks up behind him. “Ty, I thought we’ve been over this. No more night time jobs. Personally, I don’t want you doing any of this. You keep putting your self in danger, soon I’m going to put down my foot and stop you from doing this!” exclaimed Nathan Keys.

“Dad, I told you I don’t have the permission from GB international to actually bust ghosts, which is the most dangerous part. All I do is research, to keep an eye on paranormal goings here in our town.”

“Ty Keys, you told me that last night that you saw something dangerous, something that you thought you’d never see here in Taft. I have to finally, once and for all say no.”

“Dad, I can’t just stop what I’m doing. People rely on this research. As small as it is, it’s to protect man kind.”

“Don’t give me that damn speech, I don’t care. I’m not going to let you get killed by ghosts on my watch.”

“Fine, fine, can I at least contact GBI and tell them about what happened last night?”

“Yes, of course. That’s ok, but after that I want you to dismantle your equipment in the garage.”

“What…! The Packs, the traps, and the Containment Unit, I can’t! I’ve spent months on designing and creating that stuff.”

“Again, I don’t care. I am sorry, but I’m a father. I worry. Just get that stuff dismantled.”

“I…I, fine…” Ty said as he slowly makes his way to the garage. While Ty begins to dismantle his ghostbusting equipment he talks to himself about how ‘ridiculous’ this was and how ‘guilty’ this makes him not being able to monitor the possible paranormal activities. But now he knows that there is something terrible here in Taft, and he has to make that call to GBI. He starts to put on a radioactive protective suit for he can begin to dismantle the Cyclotron Generator on the pack, but while he’s doing this the PKE meter starts going off like crazy. He dashes over to it, to see that the readings where the same. “What? So close to here?” pondered Ty. “You know what? If I get grounded, so be it.” Ty quickly puts his pack back together, grabs a trap and a PKE, and just walks out the front door to see where the PKE readings are located.

On the edge of this small town in an abandon warehouse, Fearus sets up a pedestal to begin translating the Necronomicon. Long black torches provide the only light in the warehouse. A huge pentagram was drawn on the floor by Fearus to amplify the dark power of the book. “First I have to open several Rift Portals to my world to regain enough of my power, and to resurrect my Ghost Legion army. Then can I begin dominating this worthless planet,” Fearus exclaimed as he recites the first incantation in the book. Soon a rift opens far above the warehouse, and Fearus could sense a small fraction of his true power returning…

Ty’s Ecto parks at the abandoned warehouse, “Wow I never thought this much psychokinetic energy could be so concentrated,” exclaimed Ty. As he makes his way into the warehouse, Fearus senses him and hides. Ty takes his PKE meter in hand to take PKE surveillances. Fearus watches from a dark corner, “Why is that human here, who the hell is he? I can’t have my presence known yet.” He begins to recite another spell from the Necronomicon and a sprit appears behind Ty. Ty suddenly turned and sets his sights on the ghost. “Oh, crap. I really hate that fact I haven’t used this pack yet!” shouted Ty. He goes to grab his neutrona wand, and activates it. “Here goes nothing. Let’s hit it!” exclaimed Ty. He shoots off a confinement stream to capture the ghost, but the ugly red apparition doges the stream and keeps coming. Ty tries to shoot off a Proton Stream to weaken the ghost, but to no avail. Ty powers down his Proton Pack, and performs a ‘strategic retreat’.

As he returns home late that night, he notices the light to the living room was on. “Damn, Dad’s probably worried sick. I am in deep shit…,” exclaimed Ty. After he parks the Ecto in the garage he takes his pack off, and makes his way into the living room. Nathan catches sight of Ty, “Ty…what are you doing in your uniform?” He asked

“I know you’re not going to be happy about this, but I was out doing some PKE surveillances.”

“You’re too young to be jeopardizing your life like this. I told you no!”

“Dad please, spare me the ‘to young’ thing. I’m 17 I should be able to start making my own choices!”

“I understand that, Ty. And I do want you too start taking the reigns of your own life, but not to the point of ending it.”

“I know but…” Ty began to say. But his Father was getting teary eyed as the conversation went on. Ty knew he couldn’t bring up that he tried to bust a ghost, but now he knew more then ever that there’s something dark lingering in waiting. He walks up to his Dad, and hugs him. “I really do appreciate what your doing,” Ty backs up a little “But this is something that I want to do, the only reason GBI doesn’t give me the ability to bust ghosts is the same reason you have, I’m too young. But every bit of help to rid our world of ghosts is the best help I can offer right now.” Then Nathan hugs Ty.

“Ty, I am sorry for being so over bearing. Ok, I will let you do research. But promise me, never do any actual ghostbusting.”

Ty pauses from making a response, he knew if he said something it would be a lie. He’s already attempted to bust a ghost, and he was sure he would have to do it again. “Dad, I can’t promise anything,” Ty backs away from his father. “I’m sorry, the PKE readings lead me to a warehouse and a spirit was there. I was forced to use my pack. I’m sorry, I did runaway when I knew I couldn’t take him on my self,” Ty exclaimed. His Father was obviously pissed, but then his expression changed quickly as he sees the red entity behind Ty. “Dad, I know I placed my self in danger, and I am sorry. But I was doing the right thing,” explained Ty. Then Nathan points at the ghost, Ty instinctively turns. The ghost screeches and sprays slime all over Nathan and Ty. “Wow, so awesome I can’t wait to analyze this stuff!” shouted Ty. Nathan grabs Ty and races to the garage. After Nathan slams the door shut, he asked where the ghost came from. Ty replies saying “I think it might have followed me home.” Ty gears up quickly and activates his pack. “Ty what do you think your doing?” asked Nathan.

“I’m the only person right now who can bust that ghost!”

“I’m sorry, but no. We will call an actual ghostbuster franchise; they will take care of it.”

“No.” Ty bluntly says as he pushes Nathan aside and dashes into the house. He catches the attention of the ghost; it begins to fly towards Ty. Ty shoots off a confinement stream, and catches the ghost. He supports the neutrona wand with one hand, and uses the other to roll out the trap. He steps on the pedal, during that Nathan comes barging in and catches the grand faunally. Lights burst out of the trap, Ty and Nathan look away from it, and the ghost gets sucked into the trap. Ty lets out a mighty “boo-yeah.” Nathan walks over to the trap, and then looks over at Ty. “Um, good job,” Nathan said with a soft voice. Nathan wipes a tear from his eye, and walks over to Ty. “Dad, I’m,” Ty was interrupted. “No, I’m the one who should be sorry. I am proud that your so brilliant, that you where able to create these devices in the first place. Defeating that ghost took real courage, I’m proud that your my son,” Nathan said as he hugs his son.

Far on the other end of Taft, Fearus begins to open his rift portals. Inside, Fearus paces back and forth trying to think of the next phase in his plan. “The book can sense the defeat of its creation, that human had weapons I’ve never seen. It doesn’t matter, my ghost legion will destroy him in due time,” exclaimed Fearus. He recites an incantation from the book, the pentagram under him glows black. A thick shadowy mist engulfs him, “May the doors to the underworld open by my command. May it not be seen by man kind until the times right,” chanted Fearus. Several more rift portals open over the Kern County area, covering the sky in darkness, but everyone begins to think it’s just an eclipse. “Soon, my army, soon you can have your carnage…” whispered Fearus.

Back at Ty’s home, in their garage, Nathan stands watching while Ty paces back and forth. “It can’t be that bad Ty,” said Nathan.

“This is bad. An actual class three has never been seen around here. And not to mention, the deity class readings I got off of the rift portal. What ever is happening I think it’s going to be big, huge, a world ender.”

“So? Ghostbusters International will send a team that can take care of this.”

“I know, but again this is big. It’s up there with the whole Vigo problem, which happened 20 years ago.”

“You better contact them then,” said Nathan. Ty dashes to the phone to make the call. Nathan watches from a distance, as Ty tries to describe what’s going to GBI. After Ty finished up, Nathan noticed a shocked expression on his face. “Ty what is it?” asked Nathan. Ty slowly walks over, he stutters as he tries to explain what GBI had to say. “They said all the of available teams are helping the Ghostbusters over seas taking on a deity class ghost bent on destroying our world, you know the normal stuff,” said Ty.

“So what, we’re screwed? This thing is going to kill us all?”

“No, they ordered me to put together a temporary team, which can use my equipment to defeat this threat.”

“Ah, great we’re going to have to start holding auditions for team members?!”

“No they suggested you and me.”

“Hell. No. I’m not letting you do this, and I’m not going to risk my life.”

“Dad, if this is as big as I think it will be… millions are at stake. I believe we’re only going to have a small window of opportunity to defeat this thing,” explained Ty. His dad just starts to ponder, “I understand Ty, but I can’t stand the thought of seeing you get killed by one of those things.” Ty strikes a table that was near him, it attracted his dad’s attention. “Just get over it, please. Just think about it, we have the equipment to defeat ghosts, and to defend our selves. We’re the only ones capable of defeating this thing, now. Whatever it might be, we can defeat it.” Ty walks over to the prototype pack, “you can use this, to help me defeat whatever may be out there,” exclaimed Ty. Without Ty even noticing, Nathan had already put on a spare rookie uniform. He walks over to the pack and puts it on. “Dad…” Ty wondered what Nathan was up to. “I agree with you, fully. I will help, only this one time,” said Nathan. “Thanks. I guess the only thing left is to kick some ghost,” replied Ty

Back at the warehouse, Fearus prepares for the finalization of his plan, the full resurrection of his army. As he tries to find the proper spell in the Necronomicon, he gets interrupted from the Ghostbusters barging in, in complete gear. Ty grabs a pair of ecto goggles from his shoulder bag, puts them on, and starts searching the place. “Wow this place is sure creepy. Ty, you see anything?” asked Nathan.

“Not as of yet, it’s weird, there’s almost no reading…”

“Almost?”

‘Yeah, I’ve heard when a ghost is finally taken out from the place it was haunting, there’s still residual psychokinetic energy. And it seems like that’s the case. ”

“That makes some sense, I guess.”

“I was getting huge readings here last night. Actually it seems like there’s another concentration of psychokinetic energy,” Ty exclaimed as he walks over to the warehouse entrance. He pulls out a small device and places it on the threshold of the doorway. He then takes out a small remote from his bag, and taps the buttons on it in silence. Nathan walks over to see what his son’s up to. “So, what are you doing?” as Nathan tries to look over Ty’s shoulder.

“It a remote activated PKE detector, one of my own devices.”

“That’s cool, what does it do?”

“Scans the area every ten minutes, so while we’ll taking care of the other disturbance, we’ll know what’s been going on here.”

“So where is this other ghost?”

“Actually, you should know, it’s at your place of work.”

“The High School?” asked Nathan as he follows Ty to the Ecto. Before he knew it they were at the High School, the only one in Taft. Ty follows the PKE readings to the auditorium, he tells Nathan to grab his neutrona wand as they see another red ghouly floating around the stage. Ty goes to grab his neutrona wand as they approach it. “Ok Dad, give me a stream on right,” exclaimed Ty as his Father shoots off a proton stream. Soon the ghost floats away, “Shit,” exclaimed Ty.

“Ty, watch your language.”

“Seriously, now? Of all places and situations?”

“Yes, No one appreciates that sort of talk.”

“No shit.”

“Ty!” shouted Nathan. Soon out of the blue the ghost returns and they both shoot out confinement streams, but again they fail. Ty runs out to the Ecto and returns quickly with a piece of equipment. It looked like a gun with all sorts of doodads, and a clear vial on the bottom. Ty took the clear vial and filled it with psycho magnatheric slime, and attaches the vial back onto the gun-like device. He aims it in front of him to test the sight, and then test fires it. A blue energy orb bursts out of the gun barrel, and disperses when it hit the curtain of the stage. Ty says, “Sweet,” and then Nathan walks over to ask what it is, Ty answered, “It’s called the Spirit Disrupter.” The ghost appears in time to get hit with the Disrupter; afterwards he lets out a mighty screech. “Wow what does that thing do?” asked Nathan.

“In physics it’s possible for two energies to cancel each other. The energy from the disrupter is programmed to the ionization rate of ghosts, just enough to weaken them severely.”

“That’s handy,” replied Nathan as Ty inches closer to the ghost. Soon Ty shoots off a confinement stream at the weakened sprit and holds it in place for Nathan to roll out the trap. The lights burst out from the trap and the ghost gets sucked into it. Ty walks over to it and exclaims, “We came, we saw, we KICKED YOUR ASS!” Without hesitation they return to the abandon warehouse, once there they gear back up and head inside. Ty goes to check the PKE detector, and the expression on his face was of fear. “What is it, what’s wrong?” asked Nathan. Ty ignores him and walks further into the warehouse. “Hey, I know you’re in here. I have proof of a demon! Come and show your self!” Ty shouted into the darkness. Nathan races towards Ty, Hey what do you think your doing?!” Nathan asked.

“You humans have impressed me, a very hard feat to accomplish,” Fearus said as he appears in front of the Ghostbusters. Ty walks closer to Fearus, and draws his neutrino wand. Nathan follows along.

“I had a feeling it was a demon,” stated Ty.

“Really, was that so hard to figure out?” sarcastically asked Fearus. He taps his cane on the ground and several more red spirits appear around him. “You have been a nuisance for long enough human.” Then Ty grabs a small round device from his belt and throws it at the demon. It explodes and sprays psycho magnatheric slime all over Fearus. He drops his cane, and falls to his knees. “Who the hell are you, I didn’t expect any resistance,” exclaimed Fearus

“We’re the Ghostbusters,” proudly stated Ty.

“Um, I think I should handle talking to this guy,” said Nathan.

“He’s a class thirteen deity demon, who has the power to summon class three vaporous apparitions. So now do you think you should take the lead?”

“Probably not…” replied Nathan as he pulls his neutrona wand getting ready for the main attack. Then the both of them shoot off proton streams, it hit Fearus.

“You think this can stop me?” asked Fearus as the Ghostbusters stop their attack. They back away from Fearus a little, and huddle to plan another attack. Fearus just waits from a distance to see what the Ghostbusters will do.

“We have nothing else to fight him with, and I doubt that disrupter will hurt him.” Exclaimed Nathan

“Your right, I’m not sure what to do.”

“I told you this was dangerous, I told you to get another team to do this. I told you.”

Ty looks away for a moment and stares at Fearus, and sees him reading from a book. He walks away from Nathan and closer to Fearus. “Hey dude, how about you tell us what you’re planning on doing. You’re just going to kill us anyway!” Ty said to Fearus hoping he would find out what the book was.

“I guess there’s no harm it telling you, human. I am Fearus; I seek control of this planet for I can launch an even greater attack on several other worlds. A greater being than I stripped me of my powers for I couldn’t confront him. So I escaped into this world to use this,” he holds up the book. “The Necronomicon, it has spells to help me regain my power, and to resurrect my ghost legion army. You see, I’m going to wipe out your entire race, and I’m going to enjoy it so much,” explained Fearus.

Ty huddles back with Nathan, and tries to explain his plan. “That book I’ve heard of it before. The Necronomicon is a cursed artifact; sought by Ghostbusters International for they can keep it out of the wrong hands. The book contains a dark magic, similar to Necromancy. It can resurrect any form of being, and kill what ever the user wants dead.”

“So we can use it against him?”

“Yeah, probably, but we’re gonna have to get it from him,” said Ty. They split up and Ty walks over to Fearus and uses the Sprit Disrupter against him, Nathan throws several slime bombs at him. Fearus tries to resist the pain, but it was too great. He tries to use his cane to summon on more sprits, but Nathan kicks it out of his hands. Fearus goes after it, but in the process he accidentally drops the book and Ty snatches it. Ty and Nathan run a great distance from Fearus and they open the book. “Can you read this language?” asked Nathan.

“Yeah, it’s sumerian.”

“You can read sumerian?”

“Yeah, I know 6 languages, and several dead languages.”

“Dead languages, really?”

“Yeah, a lot of these ghosts are from ancient times. And see one came in handy,” Ty explained. Fearus gets back up onto his feet, and uses an incantation he remembered from the book. The ground began to shake. Soon every last rift portal unleashes hell onto earth, the entire ghost legion army. They begin to flood all of California, from north to south. Chaos ensues through out Taft, as part of the army make their way to the warehouse. All of the black demons engulfs the entire area, “I…I…can’t see a thing” Nathan said in cause of the darkness. Nathan tries to fend off the ghosts, “it no use, dad!” Ty told him.

“You all will die!” shouts Fearus.

“Not if I have anything to do about it!” shouted Ty. He follows his statement by a spell from the book. Afterwards a rift portal appears over Fearus. It begins to suck him in; he rams his cane into the ground and grasps it with all of his might. Little by little his armies of ghosts begin to get sucked into the rift. Still Fearus tries to hold on, but to his dismay he looses his grip and disappears into the portal. The rest of the army follows-suit with Fearus, soon all of the other rift portals vanish. Ty was just dumbfounded, “that was epic…” he stated.

“You can say that again, Ty.”

“Can you believe we just did that?”

“No and that reminds me, I’m gonna keep that book far away from you. No one should have power like that.”

“Dad, I’m gonna send this into GBI. Don’t worry.”

“Whatever, lets get out of here,” said Nathan as they started to leave. On the way out, Ty picks up their gear that’s scattered across the battleground. He pauses for a moment and stops Nathan. “What is it?” Asked Nathan

“We’re the beautiful, we’re the best, and we’re the only Kern County Ghostbusters.”

The End.
By Dan Shannon
Good Story, Ty, but I just went to your franchise site and something caught my attention: Where did you find the Pack and Trap animations?
By GB Ty
Yeah, I know. I shouldn’t have used those animations, it’s one of the things I’m going to take down when I update the site. I apologize if you are the creator of them at the time I wasn’t aware of their creator, still not. I know I should’ve asked to use them, I’ve been planning to update the site soon, so there’ll be gone. And thanks for the complement.
By Dan Shannon
I am the creator of those images, but that's okay. You can use 'em. I'm just surprised anyone had a copy of those anywhere! I lost those 6 or 7 years ago in a debilitating HDD crash and whatever I had left of them were on my old site from way back in 2000. That webserver since got wiped out and I never got everything backed up.

Question, do you have any more images like that?

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]