This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
My main inspiration for tackling this one? Jackdoud!
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=20169
http://www.bloody-plastic.com/costumes/keymaster.html

So, last week the GBFans Shop got a bunch of resistors back in stock, and I figured it was time to take the plunge on this one. I ordered one or two for my pack, one for my trap, and several for the 'Keymaster helmet' collander build.

I looked around eBay and found a collander that looked like a close match to the details in the movie.

At first, I saw this one collander and very nearly bought it, but compared it to some of Jackdoud's screencaps (http://s136.photobucket.com/user/jackdo ... t=4&page=1) and saw some of the details were not quite right.

I saw another and rejected it because it had a recurring pattern of two holes being larger than the rest. I realized that the same 'punch' was used for all seven stars on the bowl, and the larger holes were for the feet to be riveted in. Even the stars without feet still have the big holes.

The next time I cued up the movie to check the patterns, I realized the movie prop DID have the larger holes in the same spots of the pattern.

I forced myself to be patient. I located some other examples, including one with no handles, which had this same star pattern and put them in my Watch folder for a couple of days. I studied the movie scene on the 4K Blu-Ray over and over.

Then I spotted this detail:

I knew I could delete the no-handle collander, and that brought the list down to just one or two strong candidates. I compared them and saw that the manufacturer put the handles in at random intervals-- not surprising from a design where they can put the three legs in any of the six stars-- so I selected the auction which I felt had its handles in the closest approximation of where the movie prop's removed handles might have been.

It also had the benefit of being the least expensive one, and was easily $10 less than the non-accurate star pattern collander I'd nearly bought a few days before. Very glad I made myself do a little more homework.

I posted some of the above research pics to my FB page. I normally keep things off my wall until I am ready to break a story, but that day I inadvertently posted them to my main page. Before I could delete them just three minutes later, Harry Bardwell had already commented to ask if that was my next build. We began discussing the project and before I knew it, he had bought one of the other collanders off the 'Bay and we're going to be doing parallel builds!

~~~

Today, the kids are back in school, and I got TWO packages in the mail!

One was from AJ, containing all those resistors for my pack, trap, and collander.

The other was this beauty...

I wasn't prepared for the opening of the box to include a whiff of long-ago Italian food.

So the journey has begun!

The aroma of marinara notwithstanding, I took no time in plopping the collander onto my head to see how it fit.

I even shot some video:

And, I just this moment noticed, the random URL given to the video by YouTube just so happens to end in the letters 'Wok'. Nice pun, universe, nice pun.

~~~

Now then, back to my ongoing search for the elusive Sage m50w resistor. I was mystified by this one for a while, since Jackdoud referred to "one of each type of the large Dale 50ohm resistors" but then I realized my error, even though it hasn't helped me much to locate one.

And I've got a couple of leads on the no-logo Dale RH-50.

Stay tuned!

Alex
rays_occult, Skully, Sutton621 and 1 others liked this
I do believe my handles are in the same place on my colander as well, so that's all well and good :). I wasn't even thinking about tackling this project for a while but when me and Alex started talking about it, on a lark I hit up ebay and found what looked like a perfect colander...it was a sign (just hopefully not going out of business :P ) but like I was telling him, he'll probably beat me to the punch on the build because I have about a month's worth of projects ahead of this one to get ready for various events. I can say this though, that with the quality of his past builds and what he has been talking about on this one, it should be the most screen accurate one to date. :D
Alex Newborn liked this
Nice start! I've had a more accurately sized colander sitting around for over a year now, just haven't had the time to do a version 2 build. If you can find the accurate ceramic/porcelain standoffs you're a better net detective then me, I've been looking off and on for 2 years now.
Alex Newborn liked this
Nope, I knew you said they were hard to find, and did only a perfunctory search before giving it up.

So Harry and I were discussing some of the alternate solutions that have been used, and possibly wrapping the 'ribbed' ones with some white 1/4" loom tubing.

Alex
Alan Hawkins wrote:I keep buying these colanders after I did my build. I have two extra ones now. I should probably put them up for sale. Looking forward to you build man!
I'd def buy one from you .wink. .wink.

Btw I can't wait to watch this build happen
Alex Newborn liked this
Here's a quick video showing the collander from all angles. If anyone wants still photos of it from each side, let me know.

Then I test-fit my drill bits in the larger holes identical to the ones the legs rivet into, and found that a 10/32 bit was perfect.

They all drilled out pretty as you please until the sixth and final one, which I had to attack from both inside and out. I got all the rest out from the outside.

Handy tip: When the rivet begins to spin in place, you're almost through!

You can see the one tricky one still attached to the third leg, and its mangled rivet nearby.

Underneath the legs were some crusties. I scrubbed them off with Joy dishwashing detergent and an old toothbrush.

Video:

When dremeling the handle-bolts off, I should've worked only from the inside. Duh.

I then hammered out some of the rippled and 'dented' areas where the handles had been, and sanded off some of the worst burrs and dremel accidents.

Video:

And now it looks like this:

Sweaty, aren't I?

Alex
belldandy4087 liked this
i cant wait to see this completed!
Oh I'm excited.
Dang. I've hit a snag.

If you turn the helmet so that there's an uninterrupted stretch of solid aluminum over your eyes, like the movie prop, that handle hole doesn't line up the way I thought it would.

I think the one in the movie frame is the LEFT handle hole, and I assumed it was the right. So a proper handle doesn't straddle a star, it goes between two stars.

Really debating starting over with another collander now.

Sigh, in the meantime, I went ahead and got temporary positions matched up to the movie for the three gold resistors and two of the black resistors. Jackdoud's 'bloodyplastic' build thread says there was only a possibility of a third black one in the back, but I can't spot it in the 4K movie.

Right now they're just held onto the collander with mounting tape and one 4-40 screw each. I need some longer 4-40s and more hex nuts. I was surprised to discover that the movie propmakers drilled EXTRA holes in the collander to attach the resistors. You'd think there were plenty of holes to begin with. I won't do any drilling until I decide whether or not I'm replacing this collander.

{My camera battery is dead, sorry for the lack of pics. }

It was neat, though, holding the collander up in front of the TV and rotating it to match the frames. I would close one eye and move the collander closer or further until it was the exact same size, in the exact position/orientation, and then move the resistors around until I was really happy with the placements.

The three gold ones are pretty exact. The right-side black one is good, but the left-side black one is just a best guess. The only time we see that side is when he's drinking the boiling pot of water, and it's not a closeup.

In other news, Harry Bardwell has been researching the standoffs a bit more, and has some very cool ideas about chin straps. I'm still focussing on sourcing the two large resistors. MMM has them in stock now, so if I can't find them from somewhere close by, I will just buy them from Canada, eh!

I think Rick Moranis would approve.

Alex
irricanian liked this
I haven't worked with lumiweld before, actually haven't done ANY welding before. But it's a skill I will probably need for making my instrument bar/trigger box for my aluminum proton thrower, so I might as well look into this stuff.

Is lumiweld available in the US? I see mostly UK distributors as I'm researching it.

Alex
Great, thanks for the tip! When the rest of my metal parts for the thrower arrive, I'll look into that.

Back to the collander, here's my resistor placement as of the other day:

They're all held in place with a piece of mounting tape, and one 4-40 screw and nut each.

But the length on the 4-40 screws that I had on hand wasn't right, so I bought some that were one inch long.

Looking to his right (black resistor is an approximation), looking straight forward, and looking to his left.

Swapping out the longer screws was really easy thanks to the mounting tape.

But all of this work is about to be undone...

Stay tuned.

Alex
rays_occult, ProtonCharger, Sutton621 and 2 others liked this
When I removed the legs from the handle-less collander/steamer today, you could see an ellipse of untarnished metal where each had been (left). After trying several different unsuccessful methods to restore the rest of the aluminum to its former lustre-- including an online suggestion of tomato-acid-y ketchup-- I finally heeded my parents' advice, and used a generic 'Brillo'-type scouring pad. Looks amazingly better now (right).

Alex
Kingpin liked this
I've got all the resistors removed from the first collander and transferred to the new one, which for clarity I will try to refer to as a strainer.

(I also just realized that it's colander with one L, not collander with two, but I can't go back and edit my previous posts, so will continue with the typo for consistency, LOL.)

So here for the first time are all five of the GBFans resistors, as well as the two MMM resistors, affixed to the strainer.

This is the front view. On the movie prop, the two stars in the front intersect in a particular way, with the left point of one slightly below the right point of another. My strainer had two such instances, so I chose the one that looked best as the spot to affix the middle gold CAL-R resistor.

You can see in the film that the upper 4-40 screw of the CAL-R goes in the third hole down from that left point. Its other screw will need to be drilled into the strainer.

If we turn the strainer to the wearer's left, the arrow shows where he would be looking.

You can see that the Sage M50W resistor does not line up with ANY existing holes on the strainer. It is currently held in place with mounting tape, until I drill the holes.

Above it can be seen another gold CAL-R, with a small Sage Silicohm M25W behind it. These are roughly in the correct positions but may need to be slightly adjusted as I continue to analyze the 4K Blu-Ray footage.

Turning the strainer to the wearer's right...

The Dale RH50 is also held on solely with mounting tape, awaiting holes to be drilled. I originally tried to line up one of its loops with an existing hole, but it wouldn't quite replicate the position from all the various angles seen in the movie.

Above it is the third CAL-R, in a close approximation of the movie position. It looks good when compared to several movie frames, but the closest hole to attach it is in the point of a star, and all the other resistors seem to avoid doing that, so I am not 100% sure of its placement.

Behind that is the second Sage M25W, which is the hardest one to see in the movie. It's only glimpsed when Moranis drinks from the boiling pot of water, so I have just done a best guess at this point.

And here's an overhead view.

Alex
jackdoud liked this
Some were from here on the GBFans Shop, some were from MultiMediaMayhem.

But I'm glancing through what they currently have in stock, and it looks like you'll only be able to purchase some of what you need at the moment.

Anyone else have other suggestions of where he can find all of these?

Alex
Well dang.

Remember how I removed the legs and handles from a perfectly good colander, then later decided to start over with a handle-less strainer?

I noticed recently that the colander was movie-accurate just the way it was, before I ruined it.

Alex
I hesitate to bump this thread, since so many of the photo links are broken.

(All the pics are still live on my Facebook album, but I can't edit my old posts... so unless some nice moderator wants to help me go through and fix them all...)

But anyway... time for an update. The project has been stalled at this level for quite some time:

But the other day I found an auction for some vintage BMX parts.

Clearly, the Pro-Tech chinstrap is so (otherwise) pristine because of the bad paint bleed around the letter P.

Some reference pics:

Hopefully I'll be able to touch it up.

Alex
jackdoud liked this
Ah, the eternal debate... whether to necro-bump an old thread full of broken links after several years' silence, or clutter the forums with multiple threads on the same topic. I usually go with the necro-post. It's somehow fitting here to resurrect the dead.

Big thanks to countspatula for the new pieces. Be sure to check out his completed Keymaster helmet thread! http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46009

Alex
NotSabbat liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]