Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Ghostbusters the Board Game by Cryptozoic Entertainment - almost all of you know what it is. A lot of you purchased it and a few even played it... but have you done anything else with it?

I'm painting the figures from the Game and will be putting them up on this thread as I go along. If you have already done this or plan to, I welcome you to share some pictures of your handiwork.

My first Paint-Up is the Taxi Cab Driver. Being a half Corporeal and half Ethereal Figure had me thinking whether to paint the entire figure, part of it or try to keep it as transparent as possible. I started with transparent, so I dipped it in Clear Acrylic which gives it a glass like look.

I tried some Transparent Acrylic Paint colors , but the results were not that great...so on to Solid colors. I chose to paint his top half only and left the bottom clear.

I'm unsure if I'll leave the Base as is or paint it Black... anyway, only 7 more to go. After these, I'll do some Busters.

below_radar_00, robandliv, SlimeGuy and 1 others liked this
Excellent! I need some good inspiration, I'm just about to attempt to paint mine. Awesome idea for the taxi drivers, I wouldn't have thought of that.
CaptCyan liked this
Hey Jay,
Upload some pics when you get going.

I did up the other 4 Blue Cab Drivers. 2nd one done up the same as the first...only difference is I painted the Base on the First one. Think that's the way I'll go with the rest of them.

Ghost Twins are nice, but I figured that I'd change it up a bit on the next three.

A bit of touch up needed here and there, the Eyes and Teeth on some are buggin' me, plus painting their bases Black and I'm done with them. I'll leave the Red Drivers for later.

SlimeGuy liked this
I purchased the 2nd set of Grey Busters with the idea of painting one set in "Movie Colors" and the other in "Comic Book Colors". Once I got hold of the Figures, I was disappointed to see how soft the details are. As far as Game Pawns go, they are above and beyond expectation, but as Painting Miniatures they leave much to be desired.

First Buster to be painted is Kylie. Not only is she my favorite Character from the Comics, but the worst Figure that Crypto has made. They omitted casting the Hose connecting her Thrower to her Pack, so I had to add one onto the figure.

Instead of working from dark color to light, as you would on most Gaming Minis, I painted the Median Color first and then added the Shadows and skipped the Highlights for now. Having the Stat Card and Comics helped me to paint in some details like the Straps. As you can see, I have a lot more to paint before she's done.

For those not familiar with Gaming Minis, here is a shot of Paranormal Investigator Janine standing next to Kylie. The details on their sculpts are usually deeper and make painting them much easier.

If you haven't seen these figure before, you can find them here.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37734
SlimeGuy liked this
Done with this rendition of Kylie. In real life, the Figure looks pretty good but not so much when magnified in the pics. Finished up her Uniform, gave her eye shadow, blue highlights in her Hair and on her Cat.

Dry brushed her Meter and Proton Pack w/ Silver, Painted in a few Labels and made the "Lights" fluorescent.

This is a bad time to start reading the instruction manual.

Think I'll try Ray next.
SlimeGuy liked this
Having worked out some of the painting 'kinks" with the Cab Drivers and Kylie, I'm ready to do up the other figures. Here is a step by step using Ray.

Put on some Neoprene Gloves, grab an old Toothbrush and give the Figures a good scrubbing to get all the Oil off them from being handled/played with. I use Bleche-Wite to clean mine. You can also use a good Dish Detergent that cuts grease.

After they dry, I stick them to a piece of cardboard and spray them with Primer. I use Citadel as it tacks well and lets what little detail there is show through.

These are the Brushes I'm using, the smallest is a five- ought.

As far as Skin Color goes, I don't like any that come straight from the bottle so, I'm using a mixture of "Ryan" and "Khardic" Flesh made by P3 . The Citadel "Karak Stone" will be for his Uniform.

I start with a brushfull of the lighter Flesh tone and add some dark until I get the blend I like. Yes, I wear the Gloves when I paint. They keep any oil from my fingers off the Figure and I don't have to scrub up as much when I'm done painting.

I paint Ray's Face and Neck, trying not to over paint anything else. Normally I would not care, but the Detail lines on these figures are so shallow that they are easy to fill in with a coat of paint. You have to treat these like a "paint by number" picture.

I put some Putty on Ray's Face to protect it from over painting while I do his Uniform with the "Karak Stone".

I paint up to but not over his Gloves, Boots, Pack, Pads and any other detail lines I want to be other colors. Not the easiest thing to do, as I see that I painted over one Pad Band, otherwise not too bad. I take off the Putty and have a nice separation between Ray and his Uniform. I see that I've missed his Belly Bulge so I'll have to touch that up.

Next week I'll add some shadow and color in some details. Any questions or comments?
Last edited by CaptCyan on September 19th, 2016, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wah wah. Lol, there seems to be not enough cartoon news print faces in your putty!

Just checking, didn't know if there was a special kind. Looks like a trip to the dollar store is in order! Looking forward to more tips!
CaptCyan liked this
Back again with painting up Ray.
Todays tip is to mount the Figure onto something to make it easier to hold. Here I've taken a glob of Museum Putty and mashed it on the bottom of the Figure's Stand. I then pressed this on top of a Paint Pot that I'm not using.

This allows me to twist and turn the Figure without touching any parts that I have just painted. I like the Putty because it holds well but can be cleanly removed when done.

The Straps get painted Catachan Green.

The Name Tag is done in Thamar Black and the Elbow Pads first in Eshin Grey and The Fang.

Still usin' that Silly Putty to mask off sections.

I like Ulthuan Grey for his Belt.

Being a way old Pot of Paint, I'm using Dark Flesh for Ray's hair.

Masked off the already painted areas.

Last bit for this time, Ray's Goggles. Catachan Green for the Body and Strap. Mithril Silver, Skull White and Thermal Green for the Lenses.

The "Glass" portion of the Lenses get a coat of white first.

Then they get a coat of the Thermal Green. Giving them the undercoat of White makes the Fluorescent Color pop.

Next week we delve into the shadows... no, really. Meanwhile, please leave some comments or questions.
SlimeGuy liked this
Let's get Ray done. I'll use these paints to do the Shadowing and make the figure a bit more Dynamic

Normally, I would have done Ray's uniform in Graveyard Earth first and then Dry Brushed the Highlights with Karak Stone. Being his Figure has faint Details, I'm painting in the Shadows.

The Reikland Fleshshade is a pre-made Wash that I would use over the entire Face area. It puddles in the creases to form it's own shadowing. Being that there are not a lot of creases, it would color his whole face area. I'm using it like a regular paint this time. Here I've shadowed his Face and to pick out some Detail of his Uniform, I'll go over the shadows on the Uniform with Graveyard Earth to darken them.

Blood Red is used to pick out a representation of the No Ghost part of his patch.

Tip of the Day is: Keep hydrated while working, but don't over do the Caffeine and Sugar as your hands will shake and the paint won't dry fast enough.

Next is one of my favorite colors and a hold over from my Model Railroad days, Oily Black.

I use this for the Boots, Gloves and Hoses on my GB Figures. It doesn't have a High Gloss but more of a Sheen, just like Oil, go figure.

Again with the Silly Putty. I use my Knife to tuck it between the Hose and the finished Uniform.

Glove and Hose on Left Side of the pic are done in Oily Black to show the difference.

All done with the Oily Black. His Pack and Thrower are last on the list.

Silly Putty for the Mask. This should be 2nd nature by now.

Dry Brushing of Mithril Silver to pick out the details and Edges of the Pack.

Pack Labels are done with Mephiston Red and Calador Sky while any "Lights" get a spot of Skull White.

The "lights" then get lit with Neon Blue an' Fiery Red Fluorescent Paint.

The Thrower get the same treatment and Ray is done. Here he is joined by Kylie and her Cat.

Group shot of all Characters done thus far.

Any questions or comments? More Ghosties next time.
ccv66, alphabeta001 liked this
CaptCyan wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Just dropped by this thread and my god these are awesome. You must have a steady hand and an even steadier patience Cap
Hey VS!
Only the patience part. [emoji38]

This time round, Ol' Blue gets a new Friend.

Hahaha I disagree! Immense job
These are amazing. I've been buying up kickstarter extras to go with my board game and I'm taking in your thread as an excellent source for painting tips!
CaptCyan liked this
Looks amazing. Subbed, so I get to see it all come together as one, great minies collection
Last edited by Morfeusoneiros on September 28th, 2016, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptCyan liked this
Thanks, guys!

Hey Morfeus! I don't think I've ever been "subbed" before, or at least nobody's been willing to admit to it. :lol:

The Library Ghost is up next. I was excited to paint her up as I had found some new Fluorescent Colors to try out. After giving Her "Bookstack" the rainbow treatment, I gave Her Highlights a Dry Brush Base Coat...

...Warlock Purple for Her Dress and Skull White for the rest of Her, leaving some of the Black Primer show through.

Top Coats of Knockout Blue for Hands and Face, Pink Explosion for Hair and Purple for the Dress.

The paints are fairly transparent, so covering the whole Figure still lets the Highlights show up.

I gave the Dress a Dry Brushing of Pink Explosion to exaggerate the Highlights even more.

Last bit of painting was to give Her Tongue a bit of Fiery Red mixed with Pink Explosion and She's done.

Being Fluorescent Colors, they really show up under Black Light.

"Go get her, Ray!"

SlimeGuy liked this
Awesome! Must make the game even more fun to play. I might try to paint the 100mm Stay Puft, but anything smaller is not my cup of tea as of now. I would totally mess it up, haha
CaptCyan liked this
Thanks Guys! A little encouragement goes a long way and a lot goes even further. :-D

Time for Egon's nemesis, the Boogieman. A quick coat of Skull White on His Skin...

...followed by a Top Coat of Knockout Blue, which is the closest to White when under Blacklight. I then picked out His Coat Lining, Bow Tie and Tongue in Mephiston Red.

His Hair is next, so I wrap Him up in Silly Putty to keep any excess Blue Paint off what I have already done.

First, a base coat of Macragge Blue...

...then hit the highlights with Caledor Sky...

...and top it all off with Neon Blue.

Last bit for today is a topcoat of Hot Pink for His Tongue and Scorching Yellow for the Eyes.

"Where's Egon?"

SlimeGuy liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]