By david_germany
hi Guys

I want to show you my build of my new Gigameter...

Here we go:

ok first i´ve isolated and remixed the accurate gigameter sound from the GB2 blueray.

done.

now, let´s start printing.

YEAH, ive founded some really nice parts in ebay. :-D

ok, here is the domeframe. designed in 3d.

this is the motor to rotate the inner dome.

now i designed a holder for the motor and the domes.

here is the first rotationtest.
[Youtube]https://youtu.be/aAxsT9PE9vw[/Youtube]

some electronic parts arrived today :-)

reading, reading, reading :-D

and the servotest.
there is still a small delay in the animation. ill check the code...

and here comes the seconed rotationtest.
looks much better :-)

the printed inner dome with the acrylic rod, to make some lenses.

a long time later.

the microphone has arrived...
time to take a screwdriver ;-)

and the next steps. looks good...

moving microphones...

ok, time to program the soundchip... i used a WT588D 16p chip for this.

its gluing-time

i missed this small plates on the handle.
so i printed some, heaten it in the oven and bend it over the glued handle :-)

YEAH... love it

its time to finished the handle with some real details ;-)

its soldertime. my first selfmade soundboard to hold the soundchip :-) AAAAND it works ;-)

and painted.

yesterday i have added a motor extension for the inner dome.

and the finished soundchip. i have produced a custom startup sound for the gigameter. its a mix of the protonpack-startup and a few sounds from my soundlibrary :-)

thats all.
ill keep you up to date in the next days...
Croker liked this
By david_germany
ok guys.

here are a few updates about my gigameter...
i got a LM386 amp to boost the gigametersoundchip.
tomorrow ill try it...

i begun to solder the domelightning... i used 4 very very bright leds (140.000mcd) they are sooo bright :-O

and im soldered a small SMD button to play the sound and start the animations...
By david_germany
holy crap. :-O
by pure chance i found the FIRST pictures of the screen used giga meter display in my "ultimate visual history" book...
i never thought that they used a "SCAN" lightning...
to cut a long story short i begun to remodeling the 3d display...
now it should be more accurate...

lets print it :-)
I'm curious about it...
Tyrael liked this
By david_germany
Here is a new update of my gigameter.
I got this idea of the lightanimation (stripes during the rotation) tonight
Its so crazy...

I covered a few lenses with black tape inside the dome and programmed the arduino to make a strobe effect

This gives you an illusion of stripes and slowly rotation...

I still need to coloring somes lenses to red and green...
Tyrael liked this
By wishbone
Incredible work, it constantly amazes me what these 3d printers can do. I definitely need to pick one up, I just keep waiting for that "next generation" one to come out.
By d_osborn
It warms my GB2-defending heart that the Giga is getting so much love from prop builders! Keep up the awesome work, man! This really makes me jazzed to build my Throwing Chicken kit!
By david_germany
here is a new video about the electronics.
the earlights and domelights are working. but still merge together to one arduinocode.
this will be the hardest part.

the powerswitch turns on the soundchip (start up sound), the microphonemovement and the dome...
the button on the handle will lighten up the lights in the dome and change the animation of the earlights.
he will also play the accurate scanningsound, the 7 segment display and the scanlight will blinking...

Kingpin liked this
By Tyrael
Do you still have the pieces that insert into the top of the Realistic Microphone parts? I managed to lose one so I modeled a quick plug in SolidWorks that can be printed very easily, should you need one or two.
By halliwax
this has come together amazingly! thank you for sharing that visual dictionary picture. i am going to go grab that book this weekend! i didnt know there was new imagines of the gigameter in it, are there anymore?

i was also curious if the knob on the handle has been determined the correct one? I've been out of the loop and stumbled upon your thread, i remember you working on the 3d drawings a long time ago. I'm glad you stuck with it!

the electronics your designer are awesome! i didnt know about the actual "scan" button! this is the first i have ever heard about it and very excited over it

your build is going to go down in history
By d_osborn
halliwax wrote:this has come together amazingly! thank you for sharing that visual dictionary picture. i am going to go grab that book this weekend! i didnt know there was new imagines of the gigameter in it, are there anymore?

i was also curious if the knob on the handle has been determined the correct one? I've been out of the loop and stumbled upon your thread, i remember you working on the 3d drawings a long time ago. I'm glad you stuck with it!

the electronics your designer are awesome! i didnt know about the actual "scan" button! this is the first i have ever heard about it and very excited over it

your build is going to go down in history
Aside from a concept drawing or two, that's pretty much it for new imagery of the Giga in the Visual History book. It's WELL worth buying, though!

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]