Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote:The timeline of Egon having grandkids this old seems kinda hard to reconcile though doesn't it? Or is it just me? I mean since GB2 technically ends in 1990 it would mean that it would be almost 1991 before Egon could even mathematically have a child. Then that would make said child 29 going on 30 and I'm not sure how old Trevor and Phoebe are supposed to be. I mean it's certainly possible that he could have grandkids but it just seems like his child would have had to move pretty quickly in life to have his own kids this old at this point. I mean how many 29 or 30 year olds have kids that seem as old as these kids? Am I the only one that thinks this ( or overthinks this)? LOL!
This was my timeline I posted on Reddit where I tried to tie up the ages of the main characters (also speculating Oliver Cooper being Egon's estranged son)...Image
JonXCTrack wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:17 am I saw a post either on Facebook or Reddit where someone said that the scene with Muncher in that warehouse contains vats filled with the leftover marshmallow from the 1984 crossrip. The mini Stay Pufts emerge from these vats. That would certainly indicate that the cult of Gozer is still active in Summerville.
I think I posted this theory here and on Reddit, basing this on the leak of the toys which said mini puffs. I'm very excited now, but it was just a guess.

On that note, this guy from WETA let's slip he works on a new build, and I don't think he was allowed to share this yet.

Warning! Little spoiler for GB:A!

https://youtu.be/A79UR2JQfj4

Edit: whoops there was already a different link posted about this.
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 27th, 2020, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Coover5
Part of my post from March about the new family's connection to GB1
Coover5 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 8:32 am I'm not saying the connection needs to be strong...but there are several unanswered questions and one many fans like to ask: What happened to all the marshmallow at the end of GB? It's possible that GB20 is about that very matter. Often times material like that is sent to a land fill or buried. The family's connection to the original film could be they owned the land where the marshmallow was buried and the film is about the consequences of burying it...
Go figure, it might happen after all. In my original post though I say it's unlikely.
Alphagaia liked this
Coover5 wrote:Part of my post from March about the new family's connection to GB1
Coover5 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 8:32 am I'm not saying the connection needs to be strong...but there are several unanswered questions and one many fans like to ask: What happened to all the marshmallow at the end of GB? It's possible that GB20 is about that very matter. Often times material like that is sent to a land fill or buried. The family's connection to the original film could be they owned the land where the marshmallow was buried and the film is about the consequences of burying it...
Go figure, it might happen after all. In my original post though I say it's unlikely.
Maybe Egon didn't go to Oklahoma because that's where the Shandor Mining Company was located, but because he followed the folks hauling away the marshmallow to see what they were doing with it. Once he got to Summerville, he set up a lab down there because he knew something was going on with that town.
Dr.D wrote: February 27th, 2020, 2:19 pm Maybe Shador's cult is responsible for what happened to Egon. Maybe they've had a long-con plan to make sure the Ghostbusters went outta business.

MAYBE? I dunno. Speculation is fun.
If that’s the case, there’s going to be a lot of pissed townsfolk when they see a certain old car tearing through the streets.
Dr.D, Corey91, groschopf liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: February 27th, 2020, 1:51 pm Maybe Egon didn't go to Oklahoma because that's where the Shandor Mining Company was located, but because he followed the folks hauling away the marshmallow to see what they were doing with it. Once he got to Summerville, he set up a lab down there because he knew something was going on with that town.
I prefer the idea that the mine's the reason behind Egon's relocating to Oklahoma, rather than the marshmallow goop. The mine being all the way out in O.K. makes sense as the metals needed for Shandor's spiritual antenna could've been a rare material found in big quantities in that part of the country.

The marshmallow on the other hand, that could've really been carted to anyway.

I'm not disputing the possible presence of mini Pufts, and the mural may or may not indicate some sorta connection to the Stay Puft Marshmallow Corporation, though I'd find it a bit lame and lazy if we ended up with a retcon establishing some sort of Shandor connection with Stay Puft before 1984.

I guess I'm gonna go with the theory it's either some ghosts from the mine possess some Stay Puft marshmallows, or maybe after Muncher has eaten them, they're imbued with enough ectoplasm to give them life.

I'm also not sold on Shandor's cult still being active, at least not in any sort of capacity that involves still having a pulse.
Kingpin wrote: February 27th, 2020, 2:32 pm I'm also not sold on Shandor's cult still being active, at least not in any sort of capacity that involves still having a pulse.
It might not necessarily be Shandor's cult in its original form. Egon said Shandor had close to 1000 followers when he died. Even if 998 all quit and reformed, all it would take is 1 to carry on the cult but splinter off with his/her own interpretations and happen to be the one who ran day to day operations of the mining company who then pass the teachings on to children or a mentee and they would pass it on, etc then starting a blog and being the nut on the Internet spouting end of the world stuff. Eh, or not. That's a lot of exposition to explain.
Last edited by mrmichaelt on February 27th, 2020, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think the town was founded by Shandor's cult. That they caused the mine accident in the 40s. As some one here already said months ago Summerville = Sumerville. As in the ancient Mesopotamian civilization that worshipped Gozer among with RL ancient Gods.
Last edited by Bison256 on February 27th, 2020, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey91 liked this
I hadn't forgotten all the Gozerian symbology in the town signage. I'm just... Not hugely keen on the cult still being alive. I prefer it to be like they and Shandor were in the first film, dead, but the clockwork of their evil legacy still turning and left unmaintained.
mrmichaelt, deadderek, robbritton and 1 others liked this
The box art for the Muncher toy might confirm the theory he gets bigger the more he eats, as Slimer is shown coming out of his mouth:

Given he is quite small during the car chase clip from the trailer - I wonder if he will grow as large as OG Stay Puft by the end of the movie...

The box art for this toy line is crazy good btw.
Wafflerobot liked this
At this point it wouldn't surprise me, there's stuff I've been reading this last week that kinda blew my mind considering I thought this was going to be a low-key drama judging from the first trailer.
Kingpin wrote: February 28th, 2020, 1:21 am I hadn't forgotten all the Gozerian symbology in the town signage. I'm just... Not hugely keen on the cult still being alive. I prefer it to be like they and Shandor were in the first film, dead, but the clockwork of their evil legacy still turning and left unmaintained.
The mine was still active in the 40s, that's only 30 some years before ghostbusters. Some members of the cult were bound to still be alive in 1984.

I just realized that muncher slime playset is a ghost trap.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
I personally am all in favor of the cult still being active, and having been active in the run-up to the Crossrip. I mean, there had to be a catalyst to the events of '84, right?

And even though I think they won't go this route (especially because it would negate some outstanding character development on Erik Burnham's part), it's still fun to think Walter Peck could have been a Shandor Cult proxy. It also ensures a character at the end of the the first film walks away with a piece of the deity the cult worships, given the marshmallow dump at the end. And hell... wouldn't the EPA be involved in a clean-up of potentially toxic materials like nuked marshmallow sludge? Couldn't those same shadowy cult forces be what resulted in the Ghostbusters getting sued out of existence by the second film?

I think the cult is and has been underground for some time. Something hiding under the surface could be a theme of this film, given the mining metaphors -- outwardly-upright people engaging in nefarious behavior just out of sight.

Even Egon might have been undercover, in a fashion. Wouldn't do to advertise the presence of organization that took their deity down. Having Oliver Cooper sporting a beard and farmer's apparel would be a good way to show Egon in a flashback investigating the town.

As people have pointed out, the symbolism isn't just present in the old building architecture, it's front and center in modern imagery used by the town. I think they're at least dormant, if not still up and running. Oklahoma should have been as far as they could get from the prying eyes of the only professional paranormal investigators and eliminators in existence, but obviously wasn't far enough.
I few days ago I was reading up on real world sumerian and Babylonian mythology. The old mine in afterlife seems to be a giant ghost funnel to store spirts to power another cross rip. Then I read this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient ... underworld
It makes sense that if gozer was worshipped in that region the cult may have taken some influence from Mesopotamian mythology. Perhaps the mine is their attempt to create that afterlife?
Last edited by Bison256 on February 28th, 2020, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, groschopf, Sav C and 2 others liked this
I personally think, (and Im probably wrong), that the catalyst to 84 were the Ghostbusters. I think perhaps after a lot of research Egon could of come to the conclusion that the coming of Gozer was the unintentional result and fault of the Ghostbusters.
Egon said that the Shandor cult would do rituals on the roof to bring Gozer. Gozer never came. Perhaps the building wasn't quite enough to force the gate open.
Vinz mentioned that the "release of all prisoners" was a "sign". Perhaps the containment of all the spiritual energy in the containment, and its sudden release, was the missing element the bring Gozer into the world.
Maybe someone who lived in the building, or was involved in its managment was a part of the cult? I know Dana had her vision in the fridge before the guys started traping ghosts, but perhaps what they were about to do was felt by the spiritual entities? I dont know.
Maybe if Egon realized it might of been their fault, this is where the "forgiveness" aspect comes in that Jason talked about.
acherongraves wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:02 am I personally think, (and Im probably wrong), that the catalyst to 84 were the Ghostbusters. I think perhaps after a lot of research Egon could of come to the conclusion that the coming of Gozer was the unintentional result and fault of the Ghostbusters.
Egon said that the Shandor cult would do rituals on the roof to bring Gozer. Gozer never came. Perhaps the building wasn't quite enough to force the gate open.
Vinz mentioned that the "release of all prisoners" was a "sign". Perhaps the containment of all the spiritual energy in the containment, and its sudden release, was the missing element the bring Gozer into the world.
Maybe someone who lived in the building, or was involved in its managment was a part of the cult? I know Dana had her vision in the fridge before the guys started traping ghosts, but perhaps what they were about to do was felt by the spiritual entities? I dont know.
Maybe if Egon realized it might of been their fault, this is where the "forgiveness" aspect comes in that Jason talked about.
I don't think so, the only reason the crew was able to get enough readings is because The apartment building had slowly been raising the pke energy in the city to the point that Ghosts were able to physically manifest. Without "spook central" there would not have been many active ghosts in the city. Some of the marketing suggests that the game is still soft canon if so the cults constructs throughout the city kept amplifying ghosts in the city, until 91 when they were shut down.
Last edited by Bison256 on February 28th, 2020, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, groschopf liked this
Bison256 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:15 am
acherongraves wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:02 am I personally think, (and Im probably wrong), that the catalyst to 84 were the Ghostbusters. I think perhaps after a lot of research Egon could of come to the conclusion that the coming of Gozer was the unintentional result and fault of the Ghostbusters.
I don't think so, the only reason the crew was able to get enough reading is because The apartment building had slowly been raising the pke energy in the city to the point that Ghosts were able to physically manifest. Without "spook central" there would not have been many active ghosts in the city. Some of the marketing suggests that the game is still soft canon if so the cults constructs throughout the city kept amplifying ghosts in the city, until 91 when they were shut down.
Honestly I never got to finish playing the game years ago, so Im not familiar with all the story points. If those points in the game turn out to be cannon, then obviously I am incorrect.
Good point.
acherongraves wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:20 am
Bison256 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:15 am
I don't think so, the only reason the crew was able to get enough reading is because The apartment building had slowly been raising the pke energy in the city to the point that Ghosts were able to physically manifest. Without "spook central" there would not have been many active ghosts in the city. Some of the marketing suggests that the game is still soft canon if so the cults constructs throughout the city kept amplifying ghosts in the city, until 91 when they were shut down.
Honestly I never got to finish playing the game years ago, so Im not familiar with all the story points. If those points in the game turn out to be cannon, then obviously I am incorrect.
Good point.
The marketing blurb for "spengler's neutrona wand" (replica of the one attached to the gunner seat pack) references the firing modes from the game "Prepare for any supernatural situation and cycle through four modes with the press of a button, including classic Proton Stream, Slime Blower, Stasis Stream, and Meson Collider modes"
https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostb ... trona-wand
I honestly think they only included those sound fx in this product for extra funsies. If the video game were canon we'd see mood slime attachments.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]