This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By 910dohead
Welcome back everyone! This will be a short update since most of what we have to show you are multiple coats of primer and sealer on the faux wall. Last we left you all, we were just about about to start that process. The next 6 images will be sort of a visual ASMR or whatever you want to call it?

Here it is all primed and ready for paint. We had a small issue with one of the bricks which took a day to fix, but other than that we are thrilled with the results. It does the job of pretending to be a cinder block wall.

Next step is that we went back to the barn lamps and compared them to the reference. We discovered a few things that were not right. First we had to smooth some of the casting lines out to match the smoothness of the lights in the reference.

Next, we noticed two other issues. First was the conduit box that's to the left of the lamps, but we'll get into that in a future post. The other was the mounting bolts to the lamp cages were different to what was on ours.

We discovered that they are known as slotted fillister bolts. However, these aren't normal fillister bolts. These are actually a stupid rare variation called a "cone" or "pointed". Let's just say that we couldn't find them in the time frame that we wanted to. I am sure there's some dusty old warehouse somewhere that have these, but we've gone down that path so many times in this build. We're not doing that here or again for that matter.

What we ended up doing was mounting these screws in a bit router, spinning them and using an air compressor with a cutting disc to grind them down to the desired level. We then had to put them through a tapping die to re-thread them

To the left are the original screws that are counter sunk into the lamp cage. It goes in a groove that holds them onto the base. The middle bolt is what we ordered and the right one is a completed example.

Here we are with the final result. They match perfectly and fit the cages the way they should.

This is sort of where we are. We found a suitable conduit box that is very similar to what is seen in the reference. We bought one already that we were going to modify before we found the better match. The old one was returned and the new one was ordered. That is coming but what is next are the barn lamps. They will get primed/painted and mounted to the backdrop wall. We have the colors of paint picked out for the wall as well as the red for the rest of the unit. However, that won't come until we have the conduit box that mounts above the barn lamps. That's all coming very shortly. We are working on this daily now that we have the time. We'll probably be tackling the internal door stuff before we finish the wall.

Soooooooon!
MasterOod, Kingpin liked this
By TheKevinShow
I saw that someone posted a smaller-scale containment unit made of EVA foam on Facebook. What you’ve done here is beyond my capabilities but I’m definitely going to use it for references when I build my own. A small-scale foam build seems like it’d be the ideal option for me.
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. We are currently in the process of painting up the barn lamps. I will have another update coming real soon, but I need to let the progress build up a little before that can happen. We are getting very close to paint. Sadly, we're waiting for an order of the small conduit box to arrive and you can probably already tell its held up due to the pandemic. We need that box before we can do final paint though. Anyways, here is a spoiler.

I might post another picture later today if all goes well.
Last edited by 910dohead on April 16th, 2020, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin liked this
By 910dohead
I saw that someone posted a smaller-scale containment unit made of EVA foam on Facebook. What you’ve done here is beyond my capabilities but I’m definitely going to use it for references when I build my own. A small-scale foam build seems like it’d be the ideal option for me.
Awesome! We will be releasing a big free pdf of this build when its completed. That'll include all of our measurements as well as identification of parts and labels. Doing it out of foam would be no problem and i'm sure someone will start casting parts in resin, foam, etc.
By NotSabbat
Awesome! We will be releasing a big free pdf of this build when its completed. That'll include all of our measurements as well as identification of parts and labels. Doing it out of foam would be no problem and i'm sure someone will start casting parts in resin, foam, etc.
That would be amazing!

So happy to see updates for this project!
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
It's been a few weeks since the last update so I thought it would be cool to give you all a small update. We've taken a small break because we were waiting for another part to arrive in the mail. In the last update we painted the barn lamps. We showed you that. However, we haven't shown them fully cured and reassembled.

We decided to give them a dry mount to the faux wall to get an idea of the final product.

This is when we all got really excited. We put a lot of hard work into this wall. To see the results we were striving for is one of the best feelings.

This is one of those things that while it looks great in pictures, it does it no justice in person.

Now, onto the part which we were waiting for. This is a small conduit junction box that is hiding to the left of the barn lamps. The black electrical and conduit cables mount into this small box.

To give you some reference, here is this shot again:

We can get started on this project again now that this part is in hand. Recently, I inherited some really amazing tools that will be immensely helpful with this build. I wish we had access to them in the very beginning, but it is what it is. Hopefully that will be a big help in making things run more smoothly and save us time? Anyways, today we will be measuring where this mounts to the wall, as well as figuring out where to drill all of the necessary holes for the conduit parts.

Look forward to our next posts in the upcoming week or so. In the meantime, I hope everyone is staying safe and continues to do so now that it looks like businesses are reopening prematurely. Be careful out there and wash those hands.

P.S. - Does anyone else see a spider in the reference shot from the film?
Kingpin liked this
By Kingpin
Having the lights there in-situ is really bringing that wall to life. I'm envious you have the correct models, I'd love to have a bunch of those just for general decor. :)

The trap is the only new Ghostbusters item I have […]

Free visits from the NJ Ecto 1

Hi this is Mike from south jersey, are you still d[…]

Gaspers Meter

Awesome mods - I’m assuming these are very d[…]

Hey [mention]KoCo [/mention], what is the plate th[…]