For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
Hey guys, I was up to the spider-witch level of the game last week. Today, I went to boot up the game and I'm getting an error box that reads as follows:

Msg: Runtime exception code c0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0019F072
File: intel_stack_trace.cpp
Line: 511

Following this is the time of the error, some of my PC info, and the source code revision.

Never seen this issue before until today and I have NO idea what's causing it. I even reinstalled the game with no luck.
I've ran into similar issues playing older games on Windows 7 and did some digging into the problem after some of my games would play fine but then crash at a certain point. Based on your computer's specs, I'd look into setting the core affinity in the game's properties. Some older games really struggle processing on multi core CPU's and by setting the affinity, you're basically telling your processor to run off of either one or two.
Also, are you running directly off the disk or something like Daemontools?
TK5759 wrote:I've ran into similar issues playing older games on Windows 7 and did some digging into the problem after some of my games would play fine but then crash at a certain point. Based on your computer's specs, I'd look into setting the core affinity in the game's properties. Some older games really struggle processing on multi core CPU's and by setting the affinity, you're basically telling your processor to run off of either one or two.
Also, are you running directly off the disk or something like Daemontools?
Yeah, but bear in mind that GB:TVG on PC was the first game to truly take advantage of CPU cores with more than 2 processors.

See the Hardocp article:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/07/ ... eSEnvmqpBc

Even today, running on a GTX680 or 780 the fps are pretty consistent no matter the OC on your video card.

But OC your CPU cores and watch fps jump up! This game eats cpu cores.

On my quad core intel (Q9650@4.1 ghz) it always ran fine without needing to shut down cores. If the op has a 4+ core system, then I don't know, but it sounds like a hd or bad memory issue. Try uninstall, -> defrag -> error check -> wipe free space (using ccleaner)-> reinstall.
Nope. I stopped playing before hand because... series arachnophobia and I legit can't handle that level at night >_<

I restarted the PC (first thing I did), reinstalled the game... and I can't figure it out. It was running fine a week ago and my PC is NO slouch either. Could it be a video card issue? It's the ONLY thing that's changed in that time.
zeta otaku wrote:Did that too.

As for as I can tell, the access error is the game looking for a file or something that isn't actually there or something along those lines.
I don't know if that'd be the case since you reinstalled. Depending on your level of expertise, I'd recommend running a chkdsk and if that doesn't produce any results, download Ultimate Boot CD, put it on a flash drive, and run Vivard on your next boot. That way you can do a more in-depth disk check with automatic remapping of any bad sectors. If that doesn't solve your problem, then you've at least mitigated some possible future ones! :)
Well, holy crap...
SO, while booting up steam I accidentally click on Ghostbusters instead of Arkham Knight... thought nothing of it until the game booted.

It WORKS!

What did I do differently? Neither my flight stick or 360 Game pad were plugged in.

Off to bust some ghosts!
hrm... yeah, absolutely won't boot with the game controller. Loading the game, THEN plugging in the controller and trying to select it in the options will crash the game back to the desktop.

Wonder if I can manually adjust the settings
I still think its bad Hd sectors. If it were me I would do the following but its up to you.

-> HD error check including bad sectors

-> uninstall Gbtvg and your xbox 360 controller drivers

-> run ccleaner (download it its free and has served me for 15 years) to clean out all useless and temp junk from your pc (clean temp files and clean registry, so first and second options)

-> run defrag

-> run wipe free space from within ccleaner (when a file is deleted just the master boot record value of that Hd sector is changed to say that sector is overwriteable with new data, the record still contains the old data (it's the reason experts can recover deleted data from your pc in a laboratory), so when using your pc the Hd head actually has to scan a whole lot of deleted but still present information, thats why pc's feel slower over time.. This fixes that.

->then reinstall Gbtvg and your xbox360 controller drivers.

Sorry for the long post but thats what I would do. Good luck whatever you decide to try.
TK5759 liked this
gold333 wrote:I still think its bad Hd sectors. If it were me I would do the following but its up to you.

-> run ccleaner (download it its free and has served me for 15 years) to clean out all useless and temp junk from your pc (clean temp files and clean registry, so first and second options)

-> run defrag

-> run wipe free space from within ccleaner (when a file is deleted just the master boot record value of that Hd sector is changed to say that sector is overwriteable with new data, the record still contains the old data (it's the reason experts can recover deleted data from your pc in a laboratory), so when using your pc the Hd head actually has to scan a whole lot of deleted but still present information, thats why pc's feel slower over time.. This fixes that.

Sorry for the long post but thats what I would do. Good luck whatever you decide to try.
I run a computer shop in my spare time and can vouch that gold333 is offering some good advice here. :)
gold333 liked this
BTW, I'm downloading this through Steam right now. Going to try it on the rig I just built over the weekend and see what happens.
Here's what I'm running:
AMD A10-7850K (3.7 Ghz Quad Core OC'ed to 4 Ghz)
8 Gb DDR3 2400 Mhz
EVGA GTX480 (this is the next upgrade)
835 watt RaidMax PSU
240 GB PNY SSD w/ 1TB WD Black 7200 RPM

I'll report back after it's installed.
TK5759 wrote:
gold333 wrote:I still think its bad Hd sectors. If it were me I would do the following but its up to you.

-> run defrag

I run a computer shop in my spare time and can vouch that gold333 is offering some good advice here. :)
Thx TK. The first pc I troubleshooted was a 386 running DOS in '93, so you could say I know my way around them.

But still, a game crashing when plugging in a USB game controller is not something I've heard before.

If the above doesn't work I'd try another controller (maybe a hardware error on the controller?) else try sfc /scannow from a command prompt, if that doesn't solve it try reinstalling USB drivers and DirectX drivers and if that fails aswell, a good old fashioned format :)
gold333 wrote:
Thx TK. The first pc I troubleshooted was a 386 running DOS in '93, so you could say I know my way around them.

But still, a game crashing when plugging in a USB game controller is not something I've heard before.

If the above doesn't work I'd try another controller (maybe a hardware error on the controller?) else try sfc /scannow from a command prompt, if that doesn't solve it try reinstalling USB drivers and DirectX drivers and if that fails aswell, a good old fashioned format :)
I've heard of similar problems with gaming keyboards not allowing PCs to POST. Unplug the keyboard, and shiboopy, we have liftoff!

Just thought of something else...maybe try installing the Windows 7 version of the 360 gamepad drivers? 10 should offer legacy support so it's worth a shot.
I found these with a quick google search: How-to fix controller issues on Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50029 ... ezes-games

Xbox 360 controller drivers: https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-u ... or-windows

Let us know how this works for ya!
okay. Just ran an experiment.... plugged in my flightstick for fun, game loads. As soon as I try to change the controller, game freezes and kicks me to the desktop.

If I go into options WITHOUT the joystick plugged in and try to change the control type, it freezes and kicks me to desk top.

Currently going to follow all your advice and try again, but this is the ONLY game I have this issue with. Everything else runs fine. Hell, Arkham Knight works perfectly fine on my PC... and it doesn't work for ANYONE (exaggeration, but... kinda true). I have games that EAT resources (see Arkham Knight... also Star Citizen alpha) and no issues. BUT, I'll try all the above advice.

Also, Windows 10 is on it's own dedicated SSD while Ghostbusters and the rest of my games and data are on a separate 2 TB HD.
This is a long shot and probably won't do anything, but have you tried scanning for viruses? Sometimes a virus can cause hardware and software not to run properly.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is possibly a hardware conflict going on.
I hate pc problems that don't get fixed. Maybe try:

-Another controller (maybe hardware failure?) Unlikely since your other games work fine.
So I'm thinking it a Windows 10 issue?

Maybe try
-Compatibility mode for Windows 7 while running GBtvg

Let us know what happens :)

On one screw when I was drilling out the plug I we[…]

Only downside is they’ll likely be so expens[…]

I know you didn’t ask me, but here’s[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Some new details on the Buffalo Ghostbusters' cele[…]