Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Hey everyone. I just got home from being in Scotland on night shoots so haven’t been keeping up. Have had a quick flick through last few pages.
I missed the crew showing in London , have had a few of the crew say how much they enjoyed the movie , one or two say it was OK , but in my 30 years of making films TV and live shows , I have rarely found “professional Critics “ to give anything useful so , I stopped looking at what they call a trained critical report as pointless. I watch a film and I either like it, love it, thinks it’s ok or can’t sit through to the end. We all have our views , why rely on someone that you don’t know ,to tell you what you can do yourself

I expect you will all mostly enjoy Frozen empire . I’m sure I will too.
I am mainly an aliens Fan and not all the movies were great but I still enjoyed watching them .

I will be seeing Frozen Empire on Sunday

Ectopher wrote: March 21st, 2024, 7:35 am

Hmm, yeah. I booked up for the Chimes in Uxbridge last minute so I could take my sister and nephew on Saturday, and also visit the Ecto-1 and London Ghostbusters, and the seats were wide open as well. :walterpeck:

I'm seeing it in Basingstoke tomorrow, can't wait!
Im not far from you if you are near Uxbridge
Alphagaia, mrmichaelt, doney84 and 9 others liked this
PukieDoug wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 2:18 am Im not far from you if you are near Uxbridge
Nice one! Yeah, I'm in Basingstoke now, but from Slough originally. I'll be taking my sister and nephew to the Uxbridge showing.

Doug, I saw the film today for the first time and absolutely adored it. Thanks to you and the production crew for all of your hard work!
PukieDoug liked this
MovieFacts wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 10:41 am I'm going to contradict myself, and say I have this strange feeling that this film may get over the line from a box office perspective.

There just seems like there is so much goodwill for this movie, and I'm not talking just about Ghostbuster fans.

I hope I'm right.
Everyone genuinely had fun at the Imax screening we were at, everyone laughed and people actually clapped when the credits rolled. It reminded me a lot of Brendan Fraser's "The Mummy" where it was just a fun popcorn flick. Critics bashed that one too but has high audience scores I do believe.
Kingpin, groschopf, PukieDoug and 1 others liked this
My spoiler-free summary from the Talkback Thread:

I loved it. :)
Funny, menacing, spooky and outlandish, Frozen Empire felt unquestionably like Ghostbusters, and at its height it was like an extended, live-action instalment of THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS.

It has some flaws, but they didn't take away from how much damn fun this film was. If the box office doesn't allow for another film to happen, then this isn't a bad one for the cinematic franchise to end on... But I hope it performs well enough that in the next few years, we'll be seeing the third film of the revived Ghostbusters franchise.
SpaceBallz, RedSpecial, Alphagaia and 8 others liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:16 am About to head in for my screening.

Absolutely no idea what to expect or how I’m going to feel about it based on all the reactions. Will be watching from the brace position.

See you in the Talkback thread.
It's a helluva a lot fun. They were a lot of audible audience reactions in the 4pm screening I caught on Thursday, including out loud laughter. I rank this film as second only to the original.
RedSpecial, robbritton, Alphagaia and 3 others liked this
Compared to Afterlife during the tail end of the pandemic the theatre was packed. for a while there I thought I would have the place to myself. As I sat near the stairs I saw a lot of people walking in with Slimer buckets and cups so if that's a good sign the merch will make some money.

Crossing the streams that Nadeem get's more of a role in the next installment. Kind of a shame for him to be a one off character. I'm sure calling shotgun with the Ecto One is a much safer choice then driving Deadpool around New York. Although, Wade and Gary both drive like old ladies.
Sav C, Wafflerobot liked this
timeware wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:49 pmCrossing the streams that Nadeem get's more of a role in the next installment.
If Jason, Gil, Sony etc. think there's a need to bring Nadeem back for "Ghostbusters 5"...
I greatly enjoyed his character and arc, but I have to concede that by and large, Nadeem's story has probably been told to the extent it needs to be.
timeware wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:49 pmI'm sure calling shotgun with the Ecto One is a much safer choice then driving Deadpool around New York. Although, Wade and Gary both drive like old ladies.
Kumail Nanjiani wasn't in Deadpool/Deadpool 2, that was Karan Soni (who played Bennie in Answer the Call).
OBSIDIAN, deadderek liked this
https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office ... 235865730/

Biggest current question is: If Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire cost more at $100m vs. $75m, will Sony be okay with the movie doing the same kind of business? They greenlit this one on that kind of business, but if it cost another $25m, it's hard to say if they were banking on current grosses being less affected by the pandemic and hoping this one got a boost off of audience goodwill from the last one.
That's what review bombs are unfortunately people a personal bias against the original storyline cuz everyone prefers that just ignore these other reviews the blown hot air and I know that the Ghostbusters video game could have been tied in the afterlife if they even tried the many ways that would have worked there was so many ways it would have been even better I lost opportunity I suppose the video game give me my dream let me pretend to be something I always want to be since I was kids since I first saw the movie Ghostbusters so that's why I love the game so much the game getting aged too well but it has all the original voice actors and the banter between them is really nice it's too bad it couldn't be used in afterlife that would have been nice :sigh:
I'm heading back today to see it again.

I saw Afterlife 10 times in cinemas and I think Frozen Empire is a much better film.

I didn't find it slow at all. I enjoyed spending time with the characters, it drew me into the world more.
It really is Real Ghostbusters come to life and I actually felt that in this films interpretations of Ray, Winston, Peter and Janine.

I honestly never noticed any flaws, but that just means they're minor.
Last edited by Hairy Biker on March 23rd, 2024, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PukieDoug, RedSpecial, OBSIDIAN and 5 others liked this
Leon2127 wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 4:29 pm Look forward to seeing Ghostbusters Frozen empire I heard it's loosely based on slimer and real Ghostbusters episode that never premiered
It's drawn inspiration from The Real Ghostbusters. There's currently no basis for the belief it's based on an unproduced episode of Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters.
deadderek, groschopf liked this
We've just got home after seeing it, first impression - Loved it.

It's all the nostalgia of Afterlife with none of its flaws and with so, so many more laugh-out-loud moments. Even my gf turned to me afterwards and said it felt like an episode of the animated series, and I totally agree, definite RGB vibes throughout.

100% booking tickets again for tomorrow.
I thought Nadeem was funnier than expected but disappointed Sigourney Weaver wasn’t in it. Also disappointed that the
This Post Contains Spoilers
. Other than that, it was a really good movie. I liked this one and Afterlife better than GB2.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 23rd, 2024, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added spoiler tags
Wafflerobot liked this
A fun thought experiment.If you are a Sony exec what do you make of this?
1.Bring back the 2016 cast for a crossover since that movie opened a bit higher?
2.End the OGs cameos since the older cast(especially Bill Murray) must have a hefty salary cost?
3.Reboot again?
4.Continue with the new cast only,with a lower budget and new writers/directors?
5.Shelve everything and try an animated movie(hey Spiderverse,Mario and that Cat in the Boots flick.worked)
DaveLister liked this
I’m open to a lot, just don’t shelve it or reboot it again. This film is the only one where we didn’t have to watch them start or start up the business again. The first time we check in they’re busting a ghost and we see them taking calls throughout. Loved it. Even those small simple moments in the firehouse like cooking and doing laundry.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
No Sony exec will ever under any circumstances consider ATC to move forward. Let it go.
OBSIDIAN liked this
Although coming in just under the gross of the previous one has to sting a bit, I don't think this is a death knell or anything for the current iteration of Ghostbusters, yet. For one, with the somewhat limited amount of family-friendly movie content out there, maybe this one will be able to leg it out a bit and end up grossing more than Afterlife. I would be more hopeful for this if WOM was better, but I have to say it seems like the wildly mixed reactions aren't limited to the critics.

Honestly, my guess is that Murray is not actually that expensive given he's not in it that much, but Murray is also not an actor where I've heard much discussion of how high his price tag actually is. Maybe the filmmakers will be agreeable to returning to an Afterlife budget for a third and final chapter with the Spengler crew, and then maybe a TV show or something.

I don't think it's that unreasonable to believe that Sony might think there's something to be done with the 2016 timeline, but I definitely think it's long odds. Whatever it is, I as a long-time 2016 defender still do not want it to intersect, crossover, or connect with the 1984 timeline at all. I still think that just undermines the new characters, and I'm tired of multiverse stuff. But I'd be thrilled if they did an animated movie with those characters or something (not that I'm holding my breath).
Ectopher, groschopf liked this
tylergfoster wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:02 am Although coming in just under the gross of the previous one has to sting a bit, I don't think this is a death knell or anything for the current iteration of Ghostbusters, yet. For one, with the somewhat limited amount of family-friendly movie content out there, maybe this one will be able to leg it out a bit and end up grossing more than Afterlife. I would be more hopeful for this if WOM was better, but I have to say it seems like the wildly mixed reactions aren't limited to the critics.

Honestly, my guess is that Murray is not actually that expensive given he's not in it that much, but Murray is also not an actor where I've heard much discussion of how high his price tag actually is. Maybe the filmmakers will be agreeable to returning to an Afterlife budget for a third and final chapter with the Spengler crew, and then maybe a TV show or something.

I don't think it's that unreasonable to believe that Sony might think there's something to be done with the 2016 timeline, but I definitely think it's long odds. Whatever it is, I as a long-time 2016 defender still do not want it to intersect, crossover, or connect with the 1984 timeline at all. I still think that just undermines the new characters, and I'm tired of multiverse stuff. But I'd be thrilled if they did an animated movie with those characters or something (not that I'm holding my breath).
I still think the right path for ghostbusters is leaning more into the horror tropes while increasing the comedy aspects.And October feels like the right place for a GB movie,it avoids battling with summer blockbusters and in the case of 2024 a busy season with Dune and Godzilla.I think march was the wrong date for this movie
even before Dune got delayed to march and that's Sony's fault
groschopf liked this
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:32 am Not sure if this is the right place for this but, the AMC ghost traps went live a few minutes ago and sold out immediately. Shame the scalpers got to this, I really wanted one. The ones on Regal were up all day with no issues, so AMC clearly has zero clue on how to manage their merch knowing full well it'll sell out.
Are you not able to go into an AMC? I don't think they're flying off the shelves at the theater. That said, I also personally think the Regal trap is better. It's a little smaller but having seen the AMC one in person, that one has more "blank" plastic on it than I'd like which makes it feel sort of cheap in a way, and yet it costs almost twice as much.
Psycho Werekitsune liked this
tylergfoster wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:52 am
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:32 am Not sure if this is the right place for this but, the AMC ghost traps went live a few minutes ago and sold out immediately. Shame the scalpers got to this, I really wanted one. The ones on Regal were up all day with no issues, so AMC clearly has zero clue on how to manage their merch knowing full well it'll sell out.
Are you not able to go into an AMC? I don't think they're flying off the shelves at the theater. That said, I also personally think the Regal trap is better. It's a little smaller but having seen the AMC one in person, that one has more "blank" plastic on it than I'd like which makes it feel sort of cheap in a way, and yet it costs almost twice as much.
I live in the UK, so no, I'm not able to go into an AMC. :P

After a bit, they did go back in stock, but apparently, AMC doesn't accept foreign credit cards, so I can't order it anyway. Banking on a friend scoring one for me.

Overall, good to know Mondo is still chugging alon[…]

I know you didn’t ask me, but here’s[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Some new details on the Buffalo Ghostbusters' cele[…]

I'd love a photo of how you wired up the charging […]