Have you picked up your AMT Ecto-1a model yet? Start a topic in this forum and share your build along with hundreds of others!
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#394906
Before you build yours Click Here



Here we go:
Image


First, I opened the model and washed everything but the chrome pieces.
Ajax
Toothbrush
Image

Then I wet sanded the body, washed it w/ toothpaste, & glued the fins on.
Colgate/Crest
Sandpaper (in the 1000's)
Image

After they were glued on, I added a filler (bondo, white putty from milliput) and sanded it down.
Image


All for now.....
Last edited by slaysghosts on August 29th, 2012, 11:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#396889
Update June 23 2012

After I washed all the parts I took the tubes off the parts tree and glued them together. After they were glued I filed and sanded the seems. Then I painted them:
Image

Image

Red one is not done yet, but I love doing updates!

For the Light Bar I just used Tamiya Clear Red, Clear Green, Clear Blue, & Clear Yellow. Be careful when gluing the clear domes on. Remember Beverly Hills Cop 2 and the finger prints in the fish tank w/ super glue?????? Basically, if you touch the inside of the clear domes AT ALL, when you glue them on w/ super glue your finger prints will show up.
Image

I dry brushed, to the best of my ability, the tires:
Image
Prolly touch them up later....

All for now!
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#397523
windycitywarrior71 wrote:Looks great thus far!
John Stevens 87 wrote:God damn look at that accuracy looking smooth mate ;) i'll deffo follow your paint work for the Light bars ;)
Thanks guys!
CaptCyan wrote:Very sporting of you to share Model Car Tips with everyone else. Good start to what looks like a very detailed build. Gotta love the "Bondo".
Yeah, I figure why not have some fun & share tips along the way! I've only built a couple model cars ever.
Thanks, the Bondo idea just came to me randomly

Now on with the update!

June 27 2012:

The first guy is painted w/ Tamiya Clear Red at the top, Yellow on the edges, & a special cocktail of Clear Orange & Clear Yellow in the center. Red tube is painted w/ Red & Black. Dome has a custom decal from the set I made. Black tube is painted w/ Semi Flat Black. Chrome Freon tank has a custom decal from my set as well. Last little guy is Gloss Black & Red.
Image

Filled the hole where AMT wants you to put the spotlight/rear view mirror. It doesn't go on the door, it goes in front of the door in between the Windshield & Hood.
Image

Primed the body, ready to paint
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#397982
darthbuster wrote:nice detail on the roof rack!
Thanks Darth!
nick-a-tron wrote:Looking great! Guna be an awesome build.
Thanks nick, your stuff is amazing!
elsoldao7 wrote:Awsome work so far!
Thanks a million for sharing that tips page!
Thanks to you as well man, that page I shared is the best right? I dunno how I found it, but I hope everyone else utilizes it & sees it's value like you!

All right, thanks again guys, here's the update:

June 30 Update:

Here's the White Tank from the back under the light bar
I used Matte Aluminum Bare Metal Foil for the ring, Custom decal from my set, Tamiya TS-26 Pure White, and Semi Flat Black
Image
Image

This little guy is the box behind the Green Box & above the Red Tube
I used Matte Aluminum Bare Metal Foil & Tamiya Flat Black
Image

Ok, this next picture is too close and does NOT give a good example of how this piece (the Dash) looks in real life.
I have an AWESOME TIP that I just stumbled upon while painting the black lines on the White Tank. So I taped off the White Tank and sprayed the Black parts Semi Flat Black.....Well after the paint dried and I started pulling off the Blue Painter's Tape I noticed it looked EXACTLY like leather/vinyl.
What I have done here is cover the whole Dash in Blue Painter's Tape and then misted a couple coats of Semi Flat Black!
Image

Thanks for stopping by!
But mainly stay classy.
Tyrael liked this
User avatar
By darthbuster
#398412
slaysghosts wrote:
darthbuster wrote:nice detail on the roof rack!
Thanks Darth!
nick-a-tron wrote:Looking great! Guna be an awesome build.
Thanks nick, your stuff is amazing!
elsoldao7 wrote:Awsome work so far!
Thanks a million for sharing that tips page!
Thanks to you as well man, that page I shared is the best right? I dunno how I found it, but I hope everyone else utilizes it & sees it's value like you!

All right, thanks again guys, here's the update:

June 30 Update:

Here's the White Tank from the back under the light bar
I used Matte Aluminum Bare Metal Foil for the ring, Custom decal from my set, Tamiya TS-26 Pure White, and Semi Flat Black
Image
Image

This little guy is the box behind the Green Box & above the Red Tube
I used Matte Aluminum Bare Metal Foil & Tamiya Flat Black
Image

Ok, this next picture is too close and does NOT give a good example of how this piece (the Dash) looks in real life.
I have an AWESOME TIP that I just stumbled upon while painting the black lines on the White Tank. So I taped off the White Tank and sprayed the Black parts Semi Flat Black.....Well after the paint dried and I started pulling off the Blue Painter's Tape I noticed it looked EXACTLY like leather/vinyl.
What I have done here is cover the whole Dash in Blue Painter's Tape and then misted a couple coats of Semi Flat Black!
Image

Thanks for stopping by!
But mainly stay classy.
I really like the chrome ring. It is so small but looks so incredibly good. The custom dash is really good. Nice technique. really nice work!!!
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#398662
Boomerjinks wrote:This is AWESOME.
Thanks man, I know you're a huge Ecto fan as well!
John Stevens 87 wrote:Slay AKA "Leonardo da Vinci" :boogieman: you really do put all your hard work into each peace i wish i had your accuracy.this is coming along great :)
Haha I appreciate the kind words my man!
darthbuster wrote: I really like the chrome ring. It is so small but looks so incredibly good. The custom dash is really good. Nice technique. really nice work!!!
Yeah, I got lucky on that trick, just kinda stumbled upon it. Here's some better pics, that one I posted before made it look like alligator leather or something crazy


Update July 3, 2012:
Rough start to roof rack
Green box is a little too dark green....
Chrome Bare Metal foil on rotating light
Image

Again, with more gadgets
Matte Aluminum Bare Metal foil on top of Green Box & on the whole box behind it.
White Tamiya on the white parts
Green Testors for Green Box
Image
Image
Image

Way better representation of Dash.
The steering wheel does NOT have that second ring. So I cut it out.
Chrome Bare Metal foil on steering wheel & Semi Flat Black
Image
Image

Blue Tube
Custom cocktail of White Testors & Blue Testors
Mattel Aluminum Bare Metal foil
Image
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#399570
July 9 Update:

So you:
Mist Prime
Mist Prime again
Prime
Wait 24 hrs
Wet Sand
Toothpaste Bath
Image

Mist Paint
Mist Paint again
Paint Wetcoat
Wait 24hrs
Paint Wetcoat again
Wait 4 days
-Here's where most people should be able to stop but mine didn't have a good 2nd Wetcoat
Wet Sand
Toothpaste Bath
Painted 3rd Wetcoat
Image

Dust Cover w/ microwave cover!
Image
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#399979
CaptCyan wrote:Hey Slay,

Beautiful updates! Can't wait to see what you do with the interior.
Thanks Capt!
elsoldao7 wrote:That thing is gonna be fit for a car show!
Hope so!
jbm2004 wrote:Are the light bars you painted movie accurate? Thanks
100%
By Paulbo
#401939
Oops - I forgot to mention that I'm ticked AMT (now Polar LIghts, but keeping the kit's branding as AMT) didn't include the stretcher and proton packs. RRRrrr.

There's a guy on Starship Modeler re-building his original issue who has scratchbuilt them, plus traps and a few other goodies: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... p?t=101575
User avatar
By Fritz
#401972
Paulbo wrote:Oops - I forgot to mention that I'm ticked AMT (now Polar LIghts, but keeping the kit's branding as AMT) didn't include the stretcher and proton packs. RRRrrr.
I had the original kit--those things were never in it. Or at least they weren't in the one I bought in 1990 (or the PL kit in 2002)
There's a guy on Starship Modeler re-building his original issue who has scratchbuilt them, plus traps and a few other goodies: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... p?t=101575
I'm pretty sure that's Darth Buster's build. If it isn't, it's somebody using the same photobucket account :lol: :

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 07&t=30443
User avatar
By slaysghosts
#402725
Paulbo wrote:This is coming along great. I can't wait to see updates.
Thanks man!

Update July 24:

Taped off fins w/ Tamiya Tape, painted w/ Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red
Image

Image

Image

Remember how to spray paint!
1 light MIST coat
Wait 20mins
2nd light MIST coat
Wait 20mins
1st WET coat
Wait 24hrs.
And thats how you get clean crisp tape lines!

I'm not convinced by the Grooberson-Shandor theor[…]

https://images2.imagebam.com/f9/78/10/539f1613673[…]

Dry Transfer Decals (84% and Spirit) is now availa[…]

Yup, it was showing through just a bit. I tried th[…]