Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Regarding the filming thing with the original actors…

A TV production schedule and a film production schedule are very different things. Which is why TV shows don’t have the same quality as movies. So it’s really hard to compare the two & guess how much or little the guys will appear.

As we all probably know, every film is different, every director is different, every set is different. We know that the OGB’s filmed for at least a week so it’s impossible to know how much or little they’ll be in the film. For some movies it takes 7 days just to shoot a single scene, depending on the technical requirements and the overall complexity.

Jason Reitman has a reputation for an being an extremity fast shooter. I think I read somewhere he can do somewhere around 15 set ups per day. But this is also his first BIG film. Visual effects, and especially practical effects take a looong time to set up. This film also seems to be more visual than his others. That all takes alot of time to set up.

Ghostbusters 1 & 2 have a very dry style, not a lot of fancy camera moves & I think Jason will stick to that. Since he’s not an action director they probably shot a lot of the action scenes on 2Nd unit. All that lends itself to the notion that he can probably film quite a bit in 7 days.

The movie shot for just over 60 days, right? 65? Something like that. A week might also mean a business week so we could be looking at between 5-7 days on a 60ish day shoot. It’s a small enough number that it still concerns me greatly that the OGB’s are being shoehorned into this movie just so we can see them suit up again. I’d die happy seeing them in GB gear again, but I don’t want it to come at the expense of the movie itself.
Found on REDDIT. Back of the Plasma series showing what the old crew is up to:
RedSpecial, RichRyan1507, Corey91 and 4 others liked this
deadderek wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:41 am Found on REDDIT. Back of the Plasma series showing what the old crew is up to:
It's cool to get a few little details on the guys. Also, I'd be ok with Slimer not being in this film. I know he's sort of the mascot, but I just don't want him shoehorned into the story just for the sake of having him in it. ATC did that and MAN was it awful. Of course I have a lot more faith in Jason and Gil as writers. We shall see.
deadderek, Corey91 liked this
Looking at those OGB action figures...

-Venkman's hairline looks actually better than it did in GBII
-Ray's hairstyle looks almost identical to GBII, those grayed temples are a nice touch
-Winston's look? I think it's my favorite. It looks like his GBII hair with the mustache from the first film.
deadderek liked this
groschopf wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:12 am Since I'm convinced that scene of someone scanning with a PKE is Egon in the farmhouse... what if it's like they said in IDW's Ghostbusters International? What if that is him after he died?
If I'm correct about Phoebe adding the taser function to the PKE meter than that's the only way it could be him. If you look on the wing tip you can see an electrode. My theory is that is what she is doing when she is working on it.
deadderek liked this
So Venkman is a teacher and Winston is working at the firehouse? We already know that Ray still works at his bookstore, thanks to the latest trailer.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:13 am and perhaps Ray keeps him in the book store. :D
I doubt it but I will have the biggest grin on my face if Ray's been chilling at the book store with Slimer for 30 years.
*NormalGamer* wrote:So Venkman is a teacher
Assuming it's true I wonder if he'll get a quick Indiana Jones-esque classroom scene as his intro - seems like the easiest way to catch everyone up? (Like a shorter version of his World of the Psychic scene)
Wafflerobot, mrmichaelt liked this
Bison256 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:47 am I know the movie is focused on the kids but I want a blues brothers like scene where ray has to get "the band back together."

Well it is roughly 1,450 miles from New York to Oklahoma. It’s going to take a bit of time for the guys to get there in time for the finale. We could see a getting the band back together scene. Since the new toy boxes reveal what they’ve been doing it seems they will spend some time in the film talking about it. I seriously doubt any of this will come up in conversation while they’re trying to save the world. ;):):):)
groschopf liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:05 am Since the new toy boxes reveal what they’ve been doing it seems they will spend some time in the film talking about it. I seriously doubt any of this will come up in conversation while they’re trying to save the world. ;):):):)
I'd put even money on Phoebe watching a "where are they now" video on YouTube to handle that bit of exposition.
starang11, deadderek liked this
Coover5 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:19 am The entire thing can be done by Janine and Callie in 3 lines.

"Egon moved here after the Ghostbusters disbanded."

"What happened?"

"No ghosts, no business. Pete went back to teaching, Ray had his book store, and Winston got his Bachelor's degree."
I'm kind of relieved that Janine is most-likely not the mother/grandmother. I think it's much more romantic that she cared for him in the nurturing way from the first film and was there when he died (that aspect is solved now, it seems). This also allowed him more cover in studying/researching unnoticed in the town.
philmorgan81, *NormalGamer*, Coover5 and 3 others liked this
pizzarat wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:28 pm
Coover5 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:19 am The entire thing can be done by Janine and Callie in 3 lines.

"Egon moved here after the Ghostbusters disbanded."

"What happened?"

"No ghosts, no business. Pete went back to teaching, Ray had his book store, and Winston got his Bachelor's degree."
I'm kind of relieved that Janine is most-likely not the mother/grandmother. I think it's much more romantic that she cared for him in the nurturing way from the first film and was there when he died (that aspect is solved now, it seems). This also allowed him more cover in studying/researching unnoticed in the town.
Oh I am with you there. Even if it turns out they never hooked up romantically, it is touching that Janine and Egon stayed close over the years. It really takes me back to the ending credits of the first movie where she runs up and hugs him saying, ‘Egon! Your Safe!” Again very touching, her appearance was just perfect. What a fantastic reveal that was. :):):)
pizzarat, *NormalGamer*, deadderek and 1 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:21 am Isn't 1918 the date when 550 Central Park West was completed?
I don't believe the completion date has been established. Egon notes the building's art deco aesthetic, which originated in the 1920s until the 1930s, which would place 550 Central Park West's completion as later than 1918.

55 Central Park West conversely was build in 1929 and opened the following year.
*NormalGamer* wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:10 amSo Venkman is a teacher and Winston is working at the firehouse? We already know that Ray still works at his bookstore, thanks to the latest trailer.
The blurb seems to suggest the opposite for Winston, that he's working away from the Firehouse, but not so far that he's unreachable/disconnected from things. Thanks to groschopf for the reminder about the business card.
Kingpin wrote: July 29th, 2021, 3:02 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:21 am Isn't 1918 the date when 550 Central Park West was completed?
I don't believe the completion date has been established. Egon notes the building's art deco aesthetic, which originated in the 1920s until the 1930s, which would place 550 Central Park West's completion as later than 1918.

55 Central Park West conversely was build in 1929 and opened the following year.
World War II ended in 1918. That has to be what it represents given what Egon said in the jail cell in GB1.
Kingpin wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:38 pmThere's a portion who are definitely worth considering, but we've seen plenty of examples of fans or potential viewers who have rejected going to see it for some very petty reasons or trivial reasons (such as giving up the film entirely solely for being delayed because of the pandemic) I don't think the fans who are avoiding it for petty reasons are necessarily ones to spend a lot of time considering in the grand scheme of things.
Sure -- I'm not saying that we have to legitimize people's reasons for rejecting the movie. We both think it's ridiculous when people complain that they've "waited long enough, and Sony should just dump the movie on streaming." All I mean is, there is a risk, especially with anecdotal data, to differentiate between types of reactions as more or less meaningful in the big picture, which is a mistake. For better or worse, all of the data you can get is necessary to paint a picture of how the movie is going over.
Dr.D wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:56 am Just for some added perspective on how long a week of filming is, remember that most hour-long TV series film entire episodes over not much longer than a week. Plenty of time for substantial scenes for the OGBs.

As for Slimer? I hope we see him...
As RichardLess says, TV is not a great measuring stick, because TV is explicitly "shoot fast, get as much material in the can as is possible." That said, schedule length is less about "what do you need to make the movie" and more about other logistical concerns: how long can you afford certain actors or how long are they willing to make themselves available, what can the production afford, how long are locations available, and so on and so forth.

While we really have no idea what will happen in the movie, I can say that we can expect something like the Ecto-1 chase sequence being a type of special effects sequence that takes much longer to shoot than, say, everyone pointing their neutrona wands at a ghost to bust it, and things like that, so if the guys are mostly dialogue scenes and then some participation in the final battle, those are probably not going to take as long to shoot as some other kinds of setups.
pizzarat wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:28 amIf the Afterlife Clue game is indeed a "clue", it looks like Slimer may just be in the new film. The Muncher toy packaging has artwork where Slimer is part of Muncher's upchuck along with a stop sign and Ecto-1's license plate.
One thought: maybe Muncher munches a hole through a containment unit Egon left behind, letting a bunch of ghosts out?
groschopf wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:48 amIt's the been the last two days now. Still Isn't working. Maybe I need to clear Chrome's cache.
Happening to me now using Chrome on a Microsoft Surface.
pizzarat liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Oh I am with you there. Even if it turns out they never hooked up romantically, it is touching that Janine and Egon stayed close over the years. It really takes me back to the ending credits of the first movie where she runs up and hugs him saying, ‘Egon! Your Safe!” Again very touching, her appearance was just perfect. What a fantastic reveal that was. :):):)
Yeah, it's like I said earlier, them being a couple or being related would be so cliche and would go against Egon's character as a whole. I would be very satisfied if this is how their dynamic will evolve in the film ending with a bittersweet taste; especially with the late Harold Ramis' passing.

Even if Ernie's cryptic quote about Ricky M. turns out to be nothing, it'll be fun to speculate what happened to Tully since 1990 based on the other characters.
pizzarat wrote: July 29th, 2021, 3:19 pm

Even if Ernie's cryptic quote about Ricky M. turns out to be nothing, it'll be fun to speculate what happened to Tully since 1990 based on the other characters.
Well I am pretty sure even if he doesn’t show up there will be a name drop for Louis. :)
deadderek, Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:38 pm
robbritton wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:08 amit’s interesting that Jason talks about differences happening to Ecto-1 between “1984 and now” in the featurette. When he talks about things specific to GB2, like Ray’s Occult, he’s careful to say 1989. Which is a long-winded way to say that I’m starting to suspect I’ve been wrong forever, and that Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A might well actually be two separate cars in canon.
Ecto24601 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 11:20 am We may safely assume that Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are separate cars, as per movie canon. No GB2 redlines, thankfully!
Jason's exact words are:
Jason Reitman wrote:...We wanted to think about, y'know, what kind of technology was added to Ecto-1 in between 1984 and 2021...
That is by-far the biggest indicator that as far as Jason's concerned, Ecto-1, Ecto-1A, and Wrecto-1 are all the same car. It's something that may come up in Afterlife itself, but barring a contradicting thing he may say at a later point, I think we can now close the book on this lingering question.
I find your perspective interesting. To me, irrespective of whether or not the 1 and 1A are physically the same car, I don't think anyone here would argue the 1A's gadgetry is NOT an upgrade from the 1. So, operating on the premise the 1A is upgraded, then Jason's statement (if we take literally) holds water that the 1 and 1A are separate cars because he's referencing the 1's (and only the 1's) gadgets. No mention of the 1A. Ipso facto, they are still two cars. I hope that makes sense, it does in my head.
pizzarat liked this
The August 5, 1983 draft mentions it was completed in 1923. On page 109, Egon Spengler said, "It was completed in 1923. Shandor lived in the penthouse."

The Ghostbusters Storybook mentions it built not long after the First World War on page 14-15.

If that's still canon is moot but that's the only dates I can think of that were mentioned.
Kingpin liked this
Sav C wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:51 pm Wait, going off the reaction videos, have Celeste and McKenna not seen the movie yet?
I doubt they haven't seen it by now, but reaction videos are very popular these days.
Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:20 pm
Sav C wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:51 pm Wait, going off the reaction videos, have Celeste and McKenna not seen the movie yet?
I doubt they haven't seen it by now, but reaction videos are very popular these days.
I mean, you never know. The only people we know for certain who have seen the movie are Jason, Ivan, Ernie, and Dan (and presumably Dana E. Glauberman and Nathan Orloff). It's possible all of the other cast has just been busy working, or they were waiting for the premiere.
I remember thinking “why would anyone watch reaction videos!?! People are so stupid!” Cut to me watching reaction videos of Star Wars fans freaking out & losing their minds when
This Post Contains Spoilers
RichardLess wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:33 pm

I remember thinking “why would anyone watch reaction videos!?! People are so stupid!” Cut to me watching reaction videos of Star Wars fans freaking out & losing their minds when Luke Skywalker appears in the S2 finale of The Mandalorian.
I did not watch reaction videos until -- this will be shocking, I'm sure -- Proton Charging posted this one last October, from Ashleigh Burton.

Since then, I've become a Patron of her and multiple other reaction channels, two of which have also gone on to do Ghostbusters:

Ultimately, I enjoy reaction channels like these (movies, specifically) because, as a longtime film nerd, it is easy to become cynical about movies, and I think seeing things I love again through another person's eyes helps break down some of that cynicism. Plus, while they mostly do the classics, there are also some times when they watch something I've been meaning to get around to or revisit for years, and that's an easy excuse to finally do it.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]