Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hairy Biker wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 6:24 pm So does the spin up cyclotron remind anyone else of Real Ghostbusters?
TOTALLY

That's why I wanted to do it back in the day. It just felt like the animators drilled down to how the cyclotron was supposed to work in a way that the physical prop built in 1984 just couldn't without weighing even more.

Hairy Biker liked this
metallijosh wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:44 pm I think Adams pack is the prop used in the in-universe YouTube video about how the pack works. I think what we're seeing is a partially dissembled in-universe pack
Exactly my thoughts too, came here to say this after seeing it in the trailer:

Here's a mockup (because I have no life :D):
Note that the thumbnail used in the trailer is from Adam's original video about his costume, rather than a screenshot from the film. I'm personally still hoping TESTED releases an in-universe video about how the proton pack works, it could be fun! Also note that I didn't have time to find the exact frame they used, but it's close enough...
Cincithon1109 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:53 amAs long as they don't date the movie and the release is this November.
Alas, even in the first teaser, there is visual evidence within the footage that the film takes place in 2020. That's not to say these things couldn't be easily altered with computer effects, but when the movie was made, they were setting it in the year it was supposed to come out.

While I'm more inclined to agree that it's just a side effect of both packs being based on the same pseudo-science, I would also obviously love it if the pack interior is an intentional homage to the 2016 movie. A nice nod that doesn't intrude on anyone's separate canons.
mrmichaelt wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:32 am Noticed in a Shang-Chi article, Sony has a 3 hour panel earmarked for CinemaCon near the end of this month. Perhaps Afterlife will come up, eh?
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/shang ... con-panel/
You can guarantee it’ll come up. They’ll be pushing Venom 2, Morbius, Ghostbusters Afterlife & a certain wall crawler.

Everyone remembers that Sony bought out Danny, Ivan, the Ramis Estate & Bill Murray as the GB rights holders, right? They no longer have Veto power or share in whatever the old profit participation deal was. And with that buyout came Ghostcorp.

Does anyone know or have they maybe heard how much Sony bought them out for? As much as I hated Bill having the Veto power, it does kinda bum me out Dan or Ivan no longer has it. Depending on the deal Ivan & Dan signed,Sony can theoretically do whatever they want to their franchise now. From what I gathered from the Sony leaks, Ivan is extremely protective of Ghostbusters. The bargaining power the guys had with that veto power is immense. I wonder what the Veto applied to as well. Was it just movies? Or animated series too? Toys? Merchandise? Why would they give it up? (Well I guess the answer is obvious. And green), yet under the old deal they still got a piece of the pie when a new movie gets made. Sony had to have offered them a lot.
timeware wrote: August 4th, 2021, 7:48 am Why would they give up their rights? My guess is as they're getting up there in age, maybe they wanted to pass the franchise onto someone who could properly handle it. Maybe they felt with Jason in charge they could retire without regret's?
They sold it off years ago. Ghost Corp. was founded in 2015 and ATC was the first movie they were involved with. Ivan and Dan probably lost their fire for the franchise after Raimis' passing. Murray probably saw the paycheck and ran with it. Again, all speculation on the WHY and honestly that's none of our business.

Let's face it though, a LOT of Dan's ideas are insane without Raimis around to kinda reel them in and would never be made any way. Personally, I feel this is for the best.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, robbritton and 1 others liked this
If I'm Dan, and I look at how that entanglement of each person's rights prevented more movies being made, eschewing the deal was the smart thing to do. It ensures his legacy if others can actually work on the franchise instead of having a stakeholder jam up the works.
Last edited by groschopf on August 4th, 2021, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeta otaku wrote:
timeware wrote: August 4th, 2021, 7:48 am Why would they give up their rights? My guess is as they're getting up there in age, maybe they wanted to pass the franchise onto someone who could properly handle it. Maybe they felt with Jason in charge they could retire without regret's?
They sold it off years ago. Ghost Corp. was founded in 2015 and ATC was the first movie they were involved with. Ivan and Dan probably lost their fire for the franchise after Raimis' passing. Murray probably saw the paycheck and ran with it. Again, all speculation on the WHY and honestly that's none of our business.

Let's face it though, a LOT of Dan's ideas are insane without Raimis around to kinda reel them in and would never be made any way. Personally, I feel this is for the best.
I agree with you in part. It's "for the best" when you consider we have Ghost Corp. now, but there is something to be said for safeguarding an IP from studio executives that don't understand or care about the IP, and just view it as a means to make money. Back to the Future is safeguarded in this way, and I'm grateful for it. Murray may have been the reason Ghostbusters 3 wasn't made years ago, but maybe he wasn't being a jerk, and really thought the scripts were terrible.
groschopf liked this
I have always believed that Bill Murray's reluctance to do a third film was because he, by his own admission, views the first Ghostbusters as some of his best on-screen work in his whole career. Hearing stories about his "freight train" remarks making the first one I think Bill understood Ghostbusters was something special and having felt burned by GB2 he didn't want anything else to tarnish the legacy of the first movie.

I think Bill loves Ghostbusters as much as we do, and I think his reluctance has laid the path that we're all on now with the franchise. Maybe all of this happened for a reason. Call it fate...
Well, he was right.
I don't know what Stupnitsky and Eisenberg cooked up in 2008-2011...but the Hellbent script and the Alive Again info leaked with the Sony mails were sign of troubles storywise.

Ivan joked that selling the IP to Sony enriched the franchise creators and their families for maaaaaaany years and added that while Murray was always dragging his feet to sign on a Gb3, he was a real Barry Allen in signing to sell off his share.
Dr.D, tylergfoster liked this
As much as I always wanted a Ghostbusters 3, none of the information we've ever gotten (including leaks) lead me to believe the film would have been very good.
Davideverona, starang11, Dr.D and 3 others liked this
deadderek wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:03 am As much as I always wanted a Ghostbusters 3, none of the information we've ever gotten (including leaks) lead me to believe the film would have been very good.
Couldn't agree more, and this is coming from someone who lapped up every fragment of a rumor that came out over the past 25 years or so. I think it's a blessing in disguise they never happened given what we know about them. For example I shudder to think what 'Hellbent' could've been like with a truckload of early 2000's CGI.
groschopf, SpaceBallz, Corey91 and 2 others liked this
starang11 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:39 am
deadderek wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:03 am As much as I always wanted a Ghostbusters 3, none of the information we've ever gotten (including leaks) lead me to believe the film would have been very good.
Couldn't agree more, and this is coming from someone who lapped up every fragment of a rumor that came out over the past 25 years or so. I think it's a blessing in disguise they never happened given what we know about them. For example I shudder to think what 'Hellbent' could've been like with a truckload of early 2000's CGI.
I go back and forth on this. Personally? I love the Hellbent idea. And yes, Aykroyd and Ramis complemented each other wonderfully. Kinda like John & Paul. BUT, and I’ve said this fairly recently, you cannot judge what GB3 would’ve been by the pages we’ve seen. If you read the scripts for GB1 & GB2…you’ll understand why.

I’ve always resisted the idea that they needed new GBs in the mid-late 1990s to pass the torch to. And I’m sure early 2000’s CGI would’ve aged just about the same as the optical effects in the first film. Keep in mind early 2000s gave us some terrific movie magic. LOTR, The Matrix, Spider-Man. Men in Black has a similar sort of style to Ghostbusters and that first film holds up wonderfully. Have you seen the movie Constantine with Keanu Reeves? It’s kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. Anyways we see a very similar idea of “Manhellton” from the Hellbent idea. Everytime I see that movie I imagine that’s what the hell in GB3 might’ve looked like.

Just typing the words “Hellbent” brings me back. Man. I use to scour the internet for any and all news on GB3 and I wish some of those old sites I visited would’ve been archived. There were so many that posted BS news, and as a kid, I just took it as fact. One site had a GB3 and GB4 script that I believed to be legit at the time. The GB3 script opened with the GB’s busting the ghost of Babe Ruth at Yankee stadium and the GB4 script opened with some kids going Trick R Treating and Samhain slits one the kids throat before the logo and music appear lol.

Another website had an image of Will Smith’s head photoshopped onto I think Winstons body and had a report that a GB3 teaser trailer was playing in theatres. Oh man lol. That brings me back. I would read all these rumours about GB3 and a live action Spider-Man & X-Men movie and now look where we are. Crazy how time flies.

One thing that kind of excites me with us finally getting a 3rd film is hopefully us getting a documentary on the eventual DVD/Blu Ray about the crazy long journey this movie has been thru. Just imagine all the concept art, and test footage, animatics, storyboards etc from all the various versions of GB3. I do believe I read a budget breakdown of what was going to be “GB alive again” in the Sony leaks and it had all the costs laid out for for pre production.

I’m just thankful we never got the “Venkman is a ghost” or “Ray and Egon are ghosts” ideas. I HATED that concept. It was too shark jumpy for me
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
Yea dude. GB3 and me go way back. I think its how i found Gbcentral..which eventually led me here.

But yea, upon further inspection on what we currently have and what we were teased with all these years...Hellbent woulda been decent..all the recent 00s drafts and beyond woulda basically been a GB variant of “RIPD” or “MIB international” ..it would be bad.

So far the draft timeline goes (correct if im mixed up):
Hellbent -1997-2000
Ghostbusters Inc -2009-???
Alive Again - 2012-2014

Its been a long time..

I wouldnt mind giving “Inc” a read..We never really heard any details on it…all we know it was passed to Etan Coen to rewrite into “alive again”

I always hated the “ghostbusters are ghosts now!” Idea as well, too gimmicky, forced, and self aware..and just an excuse to write them out so the studio can put hip new stars in it.. At least with afterlife, the Egon ghost (i assume) plot thread is used tastefully, organic, and grounded

The whole thing just seemed like a big clash of the creatives wanting to continue the same feel of the originals while the studio was bleeding to modernize it to something hip and “transformers-ish” and eventually fell apart.

Im happy (so far) we ended up with TVG and GBAF

In all fairness..this is “still” GB3 to me.

Time will tell if the film delivers the goods.
Sav C liked this
I'm wondering what will happen with Ecto-Force should Ghostbusters: Afterlife be successful. Personally, I'd be all for a crew in the future catching ghosts. It allows you to do so much. One thing I'd like to see is the use of a car similar to how Aykroyd originally envisioned it - capable for flying and traveling to different dimensions. Another idea that I think could work would be the Ecto-Force team needing to go back in time to collaborate with the Real Ghostbusters.

They could also reboot or continue on with the Real Ghostbusters. I know JMS floated this on Twitter about a year ago. However, in the Real Ghostbusters timeline, does Egon still have to pass away? The movies are supposed to be based upon the adventures of the Real Ghostbusters, so I kinda wonder what would have to occur in the Real Ghostbusters universe to warrant Ghostbusters: Afterlife.
I feel like the real/extreme Ghostbusters timeline diverged too much for afterlife's events to take place. Peter went out Los Angeles instead of becoming a professor, Ray is more incompetent and child like than his live action counter part and got fired from a university job and had to make money selling used cars and attending paranormal conventions. And Egon managed a new team of 20 somethings in the late 90s. Even if the paranormal activity stopped again in say 2000 he'd still be able to call upon those guys if he needed help.
Last edited by Bison256 on August 4th, 2021, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bison256 wrote:I feel like the real/extreme Ghostbusters timeline diverged too much for afterlife's events to take place. Peter went out Los Angeles instead of becoming a professor, Ray is more incompetent and child like than his live action counter part and got fired from a university job and had to make money selling used cars and attending paranormal conventions. And Egon managed a new team of 20 somethings in the late 90s. Even if the paranormal activity stop again in say 2000 he'd still be able to call upon those guys if he needed help.
True. I suppose in the RGB universe, the studio made Afterlife taking inspiration from the time Egon "died" and became a ghost, albeit temporarily.
BatDan wrote: August 4th, 2021, 12:32 pm
I wouldnt mind giving “Inc” a read..We never really heard any details on it…all we know it was passed to Etan Coen to rewrite into “alive again”
I think "Ghostbusters, Inc" was just a fan script that went viral because he (the writer) was trying to get Sony interested. That's the one where all the ghostbusters died and Janine saw all all their ghosts playing cards in the firehouse at the end, right?
SpaceBallz wrote:
BatDan wrote: August 4th, 2021, 12:32 pm
I think "Ghostbusters, Inc" was just a fan script that went viral because he (the writer) was trying to get Sony interested. That's the one where all the ghostbusters died and Janine saw all all their ghosts playing cards in the firehouse at the end, right?
I believe that was Max Landis' treatment.
BatDan liked this
Found it. Looks like it was by "Lee and Gene" but it was in fact a fanmade script that tried to pass off as their treatment and debunked by Gene himself.
BatDan, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
Ahh okay.

Did the Gene Stupinkski /Lee draft have a “working title?” Or no?

Is that draft a mystery and thrown under the rug once Year One bombed?

EDIT: okay..i knew i wasnt crazy I thought i saw there names attached to that title somewhere.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]