Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Davideverona wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:44 am I don't think this will be the final chapter for the original Ghostbusters. They'll get to resolve their unfinished business with Gozer, but I strongly believe this will be a new beginning.
The issue for me with bringing back the Gozer/Shandor stuff (and obviously we'll have to see how it plays out in the movie) is that it sorta puts a ceiling on the threats out there - in other words in the past 35 or so years there's been Gozer, Vigo, and that's it. Twice now, the GBs have dissolved because there was seemingly no activity - it's like each time they do their job, they also put themselves out of business. So we'll have to see how this one ends - if they save the day and everything is once again tied up in a bow, then that puts a lot of pressure on whatever comes next to come up with a new threat.
Hopefully something happens that lets a bunch of ghosts out and then they continue on bustin like RGB. i always thought it was weird that all those ghosts were loose after GB1 and that they went out of business in between movies. They should never have done that for the films. Its kind of like batman 89 killing joker and returns killing penguin ETC - never understood why!!!
GhostFaceX wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:37 am Gonna try to avoid spoilers in this thread so please quote me if you reply.

Do all the other kids who get proton packs have normal proton packs or do theirs have extra wires, taped grip, shotgun grip etc?
This Post Contains Spoilers
starang11 wrote: November 17th, 2021, 8:03 am The issue for me with bringing back the Gozer/Shandor stuff (and obviously we'll have to see how it plays out in the movie) is that it sorta puts a ceiling on the threats out there - in other words in the past 35 or so years there's been Gozer, Vigo, and that's it.
That's been my biggest concern as well. I keep seeing comparisons to the Force Awakens, which I'm not terribly keen on. After a while, the Star Wars films turned into a blur for me, where there's a big laser that the bad guys are going to use to blow things up, but a plucky band of rebels know this one simple trick to take it down. I don't want Ghostbusters to be that, but with moldy Sumerian gods. I really would have preferred if the references to Gozer were merely a stepping stone to a new Big Bad within Afterlife, but it doesn't sound like that's the case at all.

That said... the IDW ongoing series kicked off by tying the franchise back to the Gozer lore. IDW knew that it's readership would be primarily fans, and even they thought they had to return to the well. They even brought Gozer back for Mass Hysteria, and managed to find new and interesting ways to use the Goze.

If using Gozer as a reference point to reconnect the the general public to the universe is the play to produce more movies where we see new villains and branch out, have at it. The 2016 film has probably confused some people about what continuity this is, so I get the need to make clear that this is a continuation of the original.

I don't mind a trip down Memory Lane so long as I'm not expected to stay there for the rest of my life.
We have to keep in mind that in 1984 they simply closed the door on Gozer nose.

They didn't cast him out, they didn't destroyed him. Gozer was simply put on the doorstep of our dimension. Egon knew that there was at least another (maybe more large) door to be sealed. Now Gozer has found a way to cross this larger door that will maybe be sealed forever.

As for future baddies, who knows? Maybe an army of spirits? Maybe Luke Siffler?
deadderek, EddieSpenser liked this
The one thing I was expecting with the new setting and the history of Oklahoma were civil war ghosts. More then a few battles were fought in the state so maybe i'll be surprised and that still happens?

Anywhow history comes hand in hand with Ghostbusting I just think that was a missed opportunity if Jason didn't look into it. It would have been a fun scene seeing the librarian ghost chatting away with a Union or Confederate soldier. It would have also been a non direct video game nod to see a civil war ghost included.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:17 am
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:01 am Lots of kids in the 4DX showing. Ten more minutes before it starts! Bring on the motion sickness for the Muncher Car Chase!
Good to hear. Would love for this to be a huge success in spite of sniffy response from some quarters. I mean, if Venom can do it, anything is possible.
As expected, the Mini Pufts got the biggest laugh from them. They got really spooked a few times as well!

I now get why there was a Marshmellow
Just wished they showed that in the movie to explain
I'll say this one thing about the movie. After multiple viewings, it's definitely obvious they cut some story points out. There is some stuff missing from the trailers as well. Nothing major, bar one thing, but I'll talk about that this Friday.

Must be saving that for the extended edition.

Next showing!
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 17th, 2021, 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chicken, He Clucked, Wafflerobot and -1 others liked this
I dislike how a lot of movie studios do this. Batman V Superman full version was 10x better then the theatrical. Even the lady ghostbusters full version was better. When will they learn to give us the complete version in the theaters? I hope the movie is not as jacked up as those without the scenes though - makes me worried : /
ogswiss wrote: November 17th, 2021, 10:50 am I dislike how a lot of movie studios do this. Batman V Superman full version was 10x better then the theatrical. Even the lady ghostbusters full version was better. When will they learn to give us the complete version in the theaters? I hope the movie is not as jacked up as those without the scenes though - makes me worried : /
Don't worry, it's all small stuff bar one thing, and that's hardly hinted at in the movie.
ogswiss liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:01 am Lots of kids in the 4DX showing. Ten more minutes before it starts! Bring on the motion sickness for the Muncher Car Chase!
4DX?! Jelly...
Alphagaia liked this
Well I have probably said this a million times. I think that If Afterlife is successful. Which even with the reviews I have seen both positive and negative I think there is a good chance that we will see those projects that Ghost Corps had shelved for awhile. I think Afterlife will be the new start up point ATC was intended to be, to give people more of an appetite for Ghostbusters, It will be exactly what Jason Reitman wants to see. Other directors taking on Ghostbusters stories. Like the animated Ghostbusters film or the Ecto Force tv series, and of course it would be terrific if IDW could continue there run of comics and maybe even put out spin off titles inspired by what ever future projects come from Ghost Corps.

I am so looking forward to seeing the movie tomorrow. :);):)

From what I have seen from the trailer and tv spots, Afterlife does deliver this.

I look forward to discussing the film and potential future of the franchise when the new thread goes live. :):):)
RichardLess wrote: November 17th, 2021, 6:30 amWithout trying to be difficult, can I ask why wait until Friday vs creating the thread now?
We chose Friday for a few reasons: because that's the general release in North America, and opening it on Friday reduces the chances of enthusiastic fans in the UK and other regions where the film comes out tomorrow from getting too much of a jump on the conversation. We're trying to give as much people a fair chance of getting in on the discussion at the same time - though we know this is small consolation for the fans based out in Australia and New Zealand.
timeware wrote: November 17th, 2021, 10:10 am The one thing I was expecting with the new setting and the history of Oklahoma were civil war ghosts. More then a few battles were fought in the state so maybe i'll be surprised and that still happens?
Given the restless metaphorical and ideological spirits surrounding the American Civil War I think it was a wise choice not to involve them. Jason may've given them some consideration, but ultimately not to... If they had been featured, I fear they would've provoked a response and a messy distraction the movie wouldn't need.
Sav C liked this
ogswiss wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:44 am Alphagaia, how was it in 4dx? did you smell marshmallows???
No, but I actually thought it was going to be 3D and sat through the prologue realizing these glasses did nothing.

Did get 'slimed' a few times though!

To be honest, Dune was better, but perhaps that's because it was my first experience with 4DX.
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2021, 12:14 pm
ogswiss wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:44 am Alphagaia, how was it in 4dx? did you smell marshmallows???
No, but I actually thought it was going to be 3D and sat through the prologue realizing these glasses did nothing.

Did get 'slimed' a few times though!

To be honest, Dune was better, but perhaps that's because it was my first experience with 4DX.

that sucks. when 4dx first came out (BvS, Suicide squad, Lady ghostbusters) i remember smelling all sorts of things and having smoke in the room. I went to see my hero academia a few weeks ago (also in 2d 4dx) and it was just movement and water - no smells or anything else. Imax for me tonight and i guess il check out the 4dx over the weekend anyway for the fun of the seat movement even though its not true 4dx without the smells or the 3d :(
Last edited by ogswiss on November 17th, 2021, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fear is that I don’t have much faith with Sony. They haven’t handled major franchises well. The attempted Spiderman Universe…Venom…Morbius doesn’t look promising…

Also who could they get as a lead producer? Wouldn’t Dan Aykroyd make sense given his vast imagination and knowledge of the spiritual?

I love what Dave Filoni has done over at Star Wars. That is a man who is both a fan and has the creative eye to create new engaging stories that is sort from the Skywalker Saga yet still very much within the Star Wars Universe.

Sony needs someone who can take the Ghostbusters in a direction away from the original movie and into new creative territories. No more trying to connect everything to the main 4 cast. No more one off world ending events with blue skies and just have smaller but engaging threats. Travel to the spiritual dimension. Do what the comics did and expand the team, have rival businesses, multiverse, whatever! As long as the product still has the same aesthetic look as the original with less CGI and more practical effects and keeping the equipment the same. The GB lore has so much damn potential that it doesn’t always have to be about a business of 4 guys in a comedic settings. If they could find the right person who shares this vision…
I agree the series needs a central creative lead for future films. Maybe a collaboration with Ghost Corp and a team with comedic credentials. Lord and Miller would be the dream.

In terms of future movies there is a ton of directions that would bring a fresh spin on the concept.

1. Following Phoebe to College / University - Extreme Ghostbusters style. Opens up all kinds of storylines for character growth.
2. A more personal and low key threat - like Mrs. Faversham’s attic from the Real GB series.
3. If they do a big return to NYC story I honestly think they could do worse than Knock, Knock’s Dooms Day door and maybe merging it with a part of Aykroyd and Ramis’ Hellhattan script.
4. If the original movie was a starting-a-business flick, then it stands to reason they have a competitor as an antagonist in a future movie. The show and comics did it. They even update and add some social commentary by featuring a major corp trying to put the Ghostbusters out of business but undercutting and offering better tech but ultimately messing everything up… IDW did this brilliantly.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on November 17th, 2021, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've long wondered the reason why average people generally don't care for anything in the franchise past the 1st movie. I think maybe most people didn't care about GB for its premise--only for its comedy. Successive iterations will be comedic, sure, but the 1st film really is more about Venkman, Stantz and Spengler's eccentricities and chemistry--to the point that, I think, Gozer is much more secondary. The concept was more in service to the comedy on GB1.

That exact novelty of "hey, aren't these guys funny?" became secondary to the actual lore and Ghostbusting from RGB on. I think it explains why us super fans, who are actually interested in the concept too, will have much more love for RGB, GB2, EGB (and apparently GB:A) than the average joe.

Just a thought.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 17th, 2021, 3:46 pm ^^^ yeah that’s the reason but Real Ghostbusters was huge in it’s own right so begs the question why is there a pop culture mental block around it’s existence and nerd culture types call RGB fans weirdos (saw this in one of the reviews today!).
The reviews are miniscule in comparison to how many people who have already watched it and/or are going to watch it. It's unfortunate negativity is louder than positivity.
Just saw GB:AF in 4DX. No spoilers.

What an amazing movie. I'm nearly speechless. It is everything GB1 was, but 21st century. Jason Reitman is really a better director than Ivan was (or 30 years more advanced).

Lets admit, GB2 was just a tag along experience. It was great and awesome, but it was Ghostbusters B.
Same but not as good as 1984 Ghostbusters.

GB:AF is even better than GB1. Jason really is a modern director as opposed to Ivan.

What do I mean? GB1 was mysterious, comedic, scary, interesting, etc.

GB:AF is more comedic, more mysterious, scarier, even more interesting while playing in the same 1984 universe.

What a production,... so many easter eggs.

Jason is a genius. This is MORE than what us fans have waited 37 actual years for.

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]