Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
These negative reviews are disgusting. Its all toxic politics.

I havent seen the film yet. But i keep seeing “fan service” and “nostalgia” thrown around as insults..then going on a wordy rant about how 2016 was so “progressive” yet overlooking that the main character of this film IS a female? But i digress me lads.

Fair criticism is welcome but it loses any substance once you bring politics in it..and then insult the film for essentially doing its job

Direct quote from a review: “shamelessly catering to the fans of the original” so…the film succeeds in being a sequel? I dont get it.

Yet..Disney pretty much flourishes on using both fan service and nostalgia to sell Star Wars and Avengers tickets…and its blasphemous to give any bad review to the almighty nazi mouse.

Is big brother watching these critics?
deadderek, moviemaker29 liked this
There has been abit of negativity over Star Wars Nostalgia in recent years. i think it started to kick in slowly after TFA when people realized how nostalgia was being used.

I think in general people are starting to notice the gimmicky and manipulative way nostalgia works. Because the audience loves nostalgia, It comes across as cheap and easy to depend on it.

50% of the audience often want to see something new. and 50% often want to see more of what they love.
Last edited by K_Centric0001 on November 17th, 2021, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cristovalc liked this
Yeah, get better dang it!

My only real problem with Nostalgia is when it's used to take the place of what should be a new original story in the franchise. It's why the last SW trilogy felt like such a waste when 2/3 of it was basically, "remember THIS story beat, but worse?!". I want to see a continuation in the universe and not just spinning tires with what we know.

Which is always weird because it's not like these are long forgotten films, hell most people probably mainline the originals before seeing the new ones, so it makes it extra aggravating to see the deathstar (or Gozer), again, but also again! 5 lazers this time!

Like apparently this movie quotes the original a bunch of "Easter eggs" for "true fans" as if to say "hee hee, remember that line of dialogue?". Yes! I do! There have only been two of these movies available to us for the last 30 years and we've watched them into the dag ol dirt!

Edit: Huff puff, I'm coming off as kinda bitter but this is more my frustration with weaponized nostalgia as a whole but I'm still looking forward to seeing Afterlife.
deadderek, ZLevee, Kingpin liked this
The movie just ended for me.

Honestly, don't buy the harsh reviews.

It was a fun movie. Very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the movie where most of the story telling is told and, in my opinion, Jason Reitman really shines.

And this long time Ghostbusters fan barely noticed the little Easter eggs.

For the general public, they'll have fun. There's nothing offensive about it that these uppity critics are all butthurt about.
cristovalc, Sav C, deadderek and 1 others liked this
BatDan wrote: November 17th, 2021, 6:12 pm But where does “continuity/style” start and “fan service/nostalgia” end?

Its like complaining when a Freddy movie, has him wearing a hat, sweater, and a knife glove while haunting childrens dreams.
When you see the movie you'll get it. There is even a whole scene shot exactly like the first one. I liked it, but can understand people think it's too much pandering.

But I'll sit on my opinion untill Friday. Found some great little foreshadowing and easter eggs after watching it so many times!
jonogunn wrote: November 17th, 2021, 8:58 pm What is the % of Easter eggs/nostalgia about gb1 vs gb2?
Ow I really don't know yet. You really need to pauze the screen. I know the toaster is in there, but couldn't find it yet.

[removed by moderator]

But most of it is from the original.
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 17th, 2021, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2021, 9:04 pm
jonogunn wrote: November 17th, 2021, 8:58 pm What is the % of Easter eggs/nostalgia about gb1 vs gb2?
Ow I really don't know yet. You really need to pauze the screen. I know the toaster is in there, but couldn't find it yet. Definitely saw some props from the original.

But most of it is from the original.
I should add without spoiling anything :p
supremeadmiral wrote: November 17th, 2021, 8:41 pmhttps://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... d-1257874/
Good grief... talk about a critic with a bitter taste in their mouth. I think a lot of these critics are just piggybacking off of each other.
There's going to be a ton of articles like this popping up in the next few days. Some "critics" will even have claimed to see the movie but just want to complain. I will almost gurantee that a lot of these reviews were pre-written and having been sat on for the last year. I'm having a strong sense of Déjà vu.

I'm not saying all critics will be like that, but there's going to be enough.

I can't believe we get to see this movie tomorrow. I admit i'll be bummed if I cant get the popcorn buckets but it's finally frakking here.
deadderek liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: There area a few places where I would have liked some more exposition, but overall I really, really liked it.
I feel the same way. There were definitely parts where I was biting my lip thinking "ahhh, they could have done this or that", but alas, those things didn't happen.

Still enjoyed it.

Oh and we should be giving props to McKenna Grace, she was excellent.
Sav C, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
I just got out. I wanted to leave a bunch of heart, smiles and cry emojis as my response, but it's not in the cards, lol. Either way, I left the theater in such a great mood, we all know how I feel about the film just by me saying that. :D Now to go back a month and catch up discussions I missed! :p
Sav C liked this
Kalonthar wrote: November 17th, 2021, 10:32 pm I just got out. I wanted to leave a bunch of heart, smiles and cry emojis as my response, but it's not in the cards, lol. Either way, I left the theater in such a great mood, we all know how I feel about the film just by me saying that. :D Now to go back a month and catch up discussions I missed! :p
Same here.

It was so thought out, the whole movie. I can't imagine any GB1 fan leaving this a bad review. And by fan I mean someone who knows GB1 inside out.

I don't know what we can discuss in this thread and what not.

For anyone who didn't see it in 4DX,... you didn't miss anything. It's just a bunch of seat moving and sort of obnoxious lights inside the theater room (away from the screen), nothing else.

But I really wished the movie was in 3D.
Sav C liked this
The rule of thumb is use your common sense and don't go too deep into discussing the movie in this thread. If you must mention some minor to moderate spoilers, use the spoiler tags. A good example of what will get a post deleted on this thread is talking about the end tags. This is only a news thread, not a thread to discuss the movie after watching it.

Again, it is advised those that have seen the movie to just wait until 12 am Eastern Friday when I post the talkback thread. That's only another 24 hours to wait, well less now.

And with that, Kingpin, you owe me 5 bucks. :P
Made the premiere. I got off work and immediately hopped on a plane to LA. Got there with plenty of time. Met and got some stuff signed by Jason (no dice on Ivan). And of course, I saw the movie! The short review is that I thought 75% of it was outstanding (95% of that 75% was the Phoebe character), and 25% of it I did not think was nearly as good. In the balance, though, better than Ghostbusters II, so, a win in my book.

Saw Adam Savage in the crowd. Also, glancing at Facebook, apparently legendary online comedy erotica author Chuck Tingle was there.
Movie was okay but the scene where Muncher spoon feeds [removed by moderator] an entire bottle of ranch dressing was weird. And what was with Grooberson's obsession with MC Hammer's [removed by moderator]? Stay for the post credit scene where [removed by moderator] and [removed by moderator] mud wrestle but it's not mud it's some sort of Ikea brand [removed by moderator].

EDIT: Wow, some folks are feeling a little trigger happy with the edit button on my post. Well they can just [removed by moderator].
Kingpin liked this
An interview with Carrie Coon.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235048524/

And one with Mckenna Grace.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/mcke ... 235114298/
Sav C wrote:Is it just me, or does Carrie Coon (at least in interviews) have a very similar voice to Sigourney?
Perhaps because they both started out in theater. :P
deadderek, Sav C liked this

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]