Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
It gives you plenty to think about: the thought that in this timeline we're getting what looks to be a good third Ghostbusters movie, but a large part of it has come about due to the loss of Harold... But if fate had worked out differently, we could've gotten a poor third movie in the 1990s or early 2000s, but it would've had the whole cast together whilst they were still alive.

I think ultimately, we are getting the better film... But as others have said before, it's bittersweet for those who are no longer with us (Harold and fellow-fans alike).
Dr.D, RedSpecial, Sav C and 5 others liked this
To quote Venkman, everything happens for a reason it appears. While a mediocre film sometime in the late 90's would have been fun for us diehards, it might not have done the franchise any good long term. Even the 2016 backlash might have been an important part of WHY Afterlife is even happening. As is the passing of Harold Ramis, unfortunately.

I've been wondering lately of when the genesis of Afterlife began in Jason's mind. I know he said in fairly recent interviews that "5 years ago I wouldn't have made a Ghostbusters movie" or something to that effect.

My point is, it almost feels like Jason Reitman has gone through these ups and downs with a GB3 as much (or perhaps more so) than we have. Its almost like he felt a sense of obligation to step in and help out. At least that's the feeling I'm starting to get.
Dr.D, Kingpin, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
As with all future GB content, I think it all hinges on Afterlife. If Afterlife is successful, it will most likely be "starting point" for all future content. Basically anything new can't contradict Afterlife (which is respecting the originals). I think that will include any RGB reboot cartoon or anything post Afterlife timeline.

At least I feel that's the smartest thing to do for the brand right now. While the historical GB timelines can be confusing to new people (film timeline, RGB/EGB timeline, 2016 timeline), Afterlife is starting fresh for new fans, while respecting the originals. So THAT'S the universe that Ghostcorps should be concentrating on imo. As such, all future content has to make sense within the Afterlife world. At least films and animated content should imo.
robbritton liked this
I also feel that Jason, Ivan and Dan need to sit down within the next few months and REALLY start planning out the future of the franchise. Does Jason want to do more GB films? I think the idea of Cobrai Kai type series is smart, but that's just my opinion.

The bottom line is, if Afterlife is successful (and I feel strongly it will be), Sony is GOING to want more. As such, does Jason Reitman want to go full on Kevin Fegie on GB? These are questions that need to be asked imo.
This recent discussion reminds me of my days in the Superman fandom. The question often brought up was: Is it better to have "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" as bad as it is just to have one more Christopher Reeve movie or does it sully the other films?

And honestly, if we're being realistic about this we have account for the GB3 taking the place of one or more projects had it been done in the 90s or early 2000s and I'm not sure I would sacrifice Evolution, The Man Who Knew Too Little, Analyze This, or Congo, for a less than stellar GB sequel.
Coover5 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:41 pm This recent discussion reminds me of my days in the Superman fandom. The question often brought up was: Is it better to have "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" as bad as it is just to have one more Christopher Reeve movie or does it sully the other films?

And honestly, if we're being realistic about this we have account for the GB3 taking the place of one or more projects had it been done in the 90s or early 2000s and I'm not sure I would sacrifice Evolution, The Man Who Knew Too Little, Analyze This, or Congo, for a less than stellar GB sequel.
I would also add that Superman 4 is the kind of movie that MAKES you reboot (or ignore completely). Which if a late 90's GB3 was bad, I mean bad, than the franchise would be in rough shape. For example I would point to countless horror franchises. They inevitably "jump the shark" and are left with this convoluted story line, that it's a long way from the original premise. Jason Takes Manhatten, Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Halloween 5, Halloween 6, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, A nightmare on Elm Street 5, Freddy's Dead... Just to name a few. Those are all franchise killers, at least Jason goes to Hell and Freddy's Dead intended to be franchise killers.

Many of us were worried about GB2, being canon. Plenty others are worried about TVG being canon, imagine having to work a Karate Kid part 3 or The Next Karate Kid level of bad films into canon. Which I'm still surprised Kobra Kai is doing that, lol.
Analyze This..hell naw. Thats harolds last great film. (However he could push it another year if gb3 were obligated)

The others?..meh. Though i loove Ernie in Congo, hes awesome in that

Evolution was just a (desperate?) attempt to recreating GB..its almost like it was GB3 just filtered out all the IP. That movie wouldve been better had Harold doctored up a draft for Ivan.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:52 pm
Coover5 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:41 pm This recent discussion reminds me of my days in the Superman fandom. The question often brought up was: Is it better to have "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" as bad as it is just to have one more Christopher Reeve movie or does it sully the other films?

I would also add that Superman 4 is the kind of movie that MAKES you reboot (or ignore completely). Which if a late 90's GB3 was bad, I mean bad, than the franchise would be in rough shape. For example I would point to countless horror franchises. They inevitably "jump the shark" and are left with this convoluted story line, that it's a long way from the original premise. Jason Takes Manhatten, Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Halloween 5, Halloween 6, Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, A nightmare on Elm Street 5, Freddy's Dead... Just to name a few. Those are all franchise killers, at least Jason goes to Hell and Freddy's Dead intended to be franchise killers.

Many of us were worried about GB2, being canon. Plenty others are worried about TVG being canon, imagine having to work a Karate Kid part 3 or The Next Karate Kid level of bad films into canon. Which I'm still surprised Kobra Kai is doing that, lol.
Wait. What? Who was worried about GB2 being canon? Lol. That’s inane. It’s the second movie in the franchise directed by the son of the man who directed and produced GB2. It was always going to be canon. The video game is different. But GB2? People, like real actual people, thought GB2 might not be canon? Keep in mind Ivan Reitman is actually quite fond of the second film. I just don’t understand that thought process. At all. It’s like…this franchise only has 2 movies (oh and the reboot) they aren’t going to pretend like the 2nd film never happened.
Sav C, moviemaker29 liked this
I think that one's on me. I always thought that the two Ectos were the same car, so when I saw the Ecto-1 in the poster I made this off the cuff remark, not taking the time to think things through, and I think that's what sparked the rumors (as far as I remember, I was the first to suggest that GBII might not be canon). I blame a bad schema!
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8bbf2a99-6 ... SpC62.copy
Corey91 liked this
i mean...i don't blame people for being suspicious that Ghostbusters 2 would be dec-anonized or glossed over...

the new Halloween films create a whole new timeline that recons pretty much the entire filmography back to just the first one..and i think the new Candyman is ignoring the sequels as well...so..I don't blame people for thinking that Afterlife might be 'GB 1.5 : legacy rebooquel edition'

..which from the Rays Occult scene alone we can lay that all to rest.
Sav C, Corey91, Coover5 liked this
BatDan wrote: August 4th, 2021, 7:40 pm i mean...i don't blame people for being suspicious that Ghostbusters 2 would be dec-anonized or glossed over...

the new Halloween films create a whole new timeline that recons pretty much the entire filmography back to just the first one..and i think the new Candyman is ignoring the sequels as well...so..I don't blame people for thinking that Afterlife might be 'GB 1.5 : legacy rebooquel edition'

The thing is that a lot of other people aren't following this movie as obsessively as we are. They don't see Ecto-1A and assume that this movie is only following the original because of II's inaccurately bad reputation. I don't blame them. The focus is much more on the original, but anything at all related to II is just another layer of awesomeness for people who have been waiting for more than three decades for this.
MikeyJ122, starang11 liked this
pizzarat wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:03 pm
BatDan wrote: August 4th, 2021, 7:40 pm i mean...i don't blame people for being suspicious that Ghostbusters 2 would be dec-anonized or glossed over...

The thing is that a lot of other people aren't following this movie as obsessively as we are. They don't see Ecto-1A and assume that this movie is only following the original because of II's inaccurately bad reputation. I don't blame them. The focus is much more on the original, but anything at all related to II is just another layer of awesomeness for people who have been waiting for more than three decades for this.
These are my thoughts as well. Hence why Gozer is a GREAT choice for a villain. How often do we see the same villain return in a franchise (outside of horror)? When it does happen, it's usually pretty epic. Having said that, bringing Gozer back adds familiarity, through Keymaster, Gatekeeper, etc. People that BARELY know the story of the first film (but have seen it enough), will recognize what's going on. The new viewers will be introduced to the villain that was a BIG part of the first film, they will be experiencing it for the first time.

Finally you have us diehards, and it looks like they are putting NICE touches on everything for us (Rays Occult). Honestly everyone, it's up to US to lead the fandom. If we are excited about Gozers return, than casuals will follow, and then newbies. It's worked for the MCU.
I'm a Ghostbusters II fan and as long as I can remember. It was the punching bag to everyone I knew.
After seeing the two trailers we have for GB:AF, it does feel like it's a fan film for 1984.
And with how erase happy movie series are lately with their entries, it wouldn't suprise me if II is hardly remembered while attention goes to the 1984 aspects.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:39 pm I also feel that Jason, Ivan and Dan need to sit down within the next few months and REALLY start planning out the future of the franchise.
So you...you really think this hasn't already been done? Seriously?
BatDan wrote:i mean...i don't blame people for being suspicious that Ghostbusters 2 would be dec-anonized or glossed over...
That never made ANY sense at all. There was not a single reason to think otherwise. Just a very tiny handful of people who couldn't grasp a simple concept of "tHeRe WaSnT a DiReCt ReFeReNcE tO gB2 sO iT mUsT nOt Be CaNoN."

Not Sony, Jason, or anyone else did or said a SINGLE thing for any reasonable person to think the 2nd movie wasn't canon.

This fandom loses their shit over the dumbest things. (The ladder anyone?)
Found this from a quick search on Ecto one a:
What happened to the Ecto-1A?
Ecto-1, as lore goes, actually died on the Brooklyn Bridge during filming for the sequel. ... The restored Ecto-1 wasn't used for filming the new movie, Quick said, and all the parts from the Ecto-1A "are still around and in good hands." "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" is scheduled to be released in July 2020
So if wrecto get's destroyed does anyone think that the possbility of a CGI edited Ecto 1-A will be left at the farm or police station for the kids as a knd of passing the torch scene? It would be the perfect ending that the OG's leave it in their custody after they prove themselves as full fledged busters.

The kids open the garage, we see Grooberson under the vehicle and the were back sign starts to power on. Then we see Slimer in the drivers seat with a mini puft dangling it's feet over an open glove box. The kids and grooberson run after the car as it swerves down the street.
deadderek wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:29 pm
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:39 pm I also feel that Jason, Ivan and Dan need to sit down within the next few months and REALLY start planning out the future of the franchise.
Do I think some "what ifs" or "wouldn't that be fun" kinda ideas have been thrown around? Yes absolutely. But given the state of the franchise after 2016, it's been a one project at a time, wait and see, type of thing. Had the 2016 film hit, Afterlife wouldn't be happening. If Afterlife fails... Well I thinks it's a wrap folks. So do I honestly think Jason, Dan and Ivan have sat down and discussed the next film, or where the franchise is going next? No, not in any series capacity. Sony isn't going to green light anything, not unless it's working. Ghostbusters isn't "working" until this movie makes money.
Cincithon1109 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:17 pm I'm a Ghostbusters II fan and as long as I can remember. It was the punching bag to everyone I knew.
After seeing the two trailers we have for GB:AF, it does feel like it's a fan film for 1984.
And with how erase happy movie series are lately with their entries, it wouldn't suprise me if II is hardly remembered while attention goes to the 1984 aspects.
I don't expect to see/hear many callbacks to 1989. We might see a slime blower, or maybe the redone Viggo painting from GB2. But outside of seeing Ray's Occult, what more do we need? The 1-A is the big question on everyone's mind. If that question gets answered, I don't care if we don't hear about Viggo, mood slime, etc.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:07 am
deadderek wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Do I think some "what ifs" or "wouldn't that be fun" kinda ideas have been thrown around? Yes absolutely. But given the state of the franchise after 2016, it's been a one project at a time, wait and see, type of thing. Had the 2016 film hit, Afterlife wouldn't be happening. If Afterlife fails... Well I thinks it's a wrap folks. So do I honestly think Jason, Dan and Ivan have sat down and discussed the next film, or where the franchise is going next? No, not in any series capacity. Sony isn't going to green light anything, not unless it's working. Ghostbusters isn't "working" until this movie makes money.
There is almost 0 percent chance they're just entirely waiting for Afterlife to come out. They didn't just wrap up shooting and turn off the lights at Ghost Corps.

They've definitely had serious talks about the future of the franchise even if Afterlife somehow bombed as bad as Answer the Call.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:12 am I don't expect to see/hear many callbacks to 1989. We might see a slime blower, or maybe the redone Viggo painting from GB2. But outside of seeing Ray's Occult, what more do we need? The 1-A is the big question on everyone's mind. If that question gets answered, I don't care if we don't hear about Viggo, mood slime, etc.
Come to think of it, would be neat to see the Giga Meter on a table somewhere.
RedSpecial, Sav C, Corey91 liked this
timeware wrote:Found this from a quick search on Ecto one a:
What happened to the Ecto-1A?
Ecto-1, as lore goes, actually died on the Brooklyn Bridge during filming for the sequel. ... The restored Ecto-1 wasn't used for filming the new movie, Quick said, and all the parts from the Ecto-1A "are still around and in good hands." "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" is scheduled to be released in July 2020
So if wrecto get's destroyed does anyone think that the possbility of a CGI edited Ecto 1-A will be left at the farm or police station for the kids as a knd of passing the torch scene? It would be the perfect ending that the OG's leave it in their custody after they prove themselves as full fledged busters.

The kids open the garage, we see Grooberson under the vehicle and the were back sign starts to power on. Then we see Slimer in the drivers seat with a mini puft dangling it's feet over an open glove box. The kids and grooberson run after the car as it swerves down the street.
I think that would be a bit corny. I think it's more likely that if Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are different cars, then there will be some kind of story explaining what happened to Ecto-1A. "It was our last big bust. Truly epic! Egon used the Brooklyn Bridge to make an interdimensional gateway to seal away Cycnus. But when the portal closed, it took the Ecto-1A and half of the bridge with it!"
mrmichaelt wrote: August 5th, 2021, 2:48 am
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:12 am I don't expect to see/hear many callbacks to 1989. We might see a slime blower, or maybe the redone Viggo painting from GB2. But outside of seeing Ray's Occult, what more do we need? The 1-A is the big question on everyone's mind. If that question gets answered, I don't care if we don't hear about Viggo, mood slime, etc.
Come to think of it, would be neat to see the Giga Meter on a table somewhere.
There was an ebay poster months back who was selling Gigameter kits. The description claimed his kit was used to re-make the gigameter for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. He had a screengrab from an e-mail that more or less thanked him for the sale, and he replied that he couldn't wait to see his kit appear in the new movie. I realize that it's probably someone just wanting attention to they can sell their prop, but it does make me wonder.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:15 am Ray's Occult is the only GB2 nod we need.

There might be a mention of Vigo or slime I guess, but the film doesn't need to acknowledge GB2 for it to be canon. We certainly don't need to see or hear anything about Ecto 1A. If they do, fine but happy to leave some stones unturned.
I agree. However, I do want to know what happened to the containment unit.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]