Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
JonXCTrack wrote:I hate to say it, but if Sony is hellbent (pun intended) on having this movie out in theaters, they may do better if they hang onto it and release it in Summer 2021.

Sadly, I think you're right and I also think this is more likely than going streaming. The only consideration which gives me pause is that those Summer slots will be getting filled with other holdovers like the MCU etc.

I don't think March is set in stone ultimately. By pausing everything they can sit back and wait.

And wait.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on August 17th, 2020, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's so many movies that I want to see between now and March, that I honestly wouldn't care if Sony decides to make the decision to postpone it until Summer 2021. Whatever it takes to maximize the box office potential, and further GB projects, I'm all for it. And say, I believe those Spengler Afterlife wands should be shipping soon. That's enough to keep me entertained for awhile.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:27 am
JonXCTrack wrote:I hate to say it, but if Sony is hellbent (pun intended) on having this movie out in theaters, they may do better if they hang onto it and release it in Summer 2021.

Sadly, I think you're right and I also think this is more likely than going streaming. The only consideration which gives me pause is that those Summer slots will be getting filled with other holdovers like the MCU etc.

I don't think March is set in stone ultimately. By pausing everything they can sit back and wait.

And wait.
COVID aside, March is the PERFECT time for a movie like GBA. Perfect. Maybe even February. The summer slot worried me. There’s just too much competition, too much noise. Movies open big and then drop like stones. March gives GBA some room to establish some legs. If it sucks it won’t matter but if reviews are as strong as I feel like they might be...having those extra weekends without a 200 million Disney behemoth can make all the difference.

I think we should all want Ghostbusters Afterlife to open theatrically. I’m surprised some of you are pushing for streaming. I get you want it ASAP. But this is the chance to see the franchise we all love become a big hit and phenomenon again. GB2016 could’ve been that but instead gave the franchise a black eye. Ghostbusters 2 was also seen as a major let down. If you all love Ghostbusters and want sequels and animated series and spin offs, video games or TV shows, that isn’t going to happen with streaming. Sony won’t be making a Greyhound 2 anytime soon(nor were they ever going to. Which is part of why they let it go).

I’ve always maintained that had Sony made a GB3 instead of remake/reboot, it would’ve been huge, box office wise. People wanted it in the same way they wanted to see Indiana Jones 4 or their old friends in the original Star Wars. People wanted to see Harrison Ford play Han Solo, not another actor. So in a selfish way...I really want to see how people respond to GBA since it’s a true sequel. Now of course it’s not really a sequel in the way those other versions of GB3 were.

You know what I really wanted a GB3 to be? No passing the torch, no setting the franchise up for sequels. Just Peter, Ray, Egon and Winston on a case like old times. Remember when Bill Murray accepted that award about 10 years ago? He showed up in costume with a proton pack and he looked AWESOME. I just wanted those characters on a case, busting ghosts. I never understood the need for a new team. They could even have a built in reason why there CANT be a new team. You could say over the course of X amount of years they’ve learned there’s an inherent danger in using the equipment. Or insurance won’t cover new recruits. Or that the guys just refuse to give up the job because they love it. Infact that’s what the movie could’ve been about. They can’t let go.

Ah Harold. You left us too soon. What could’ve been...
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote:
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:27 am

And wait.
COVID aside, March is the PERFECT time for a movie like GBA. Perfect. Maybe even February. The summer slot worried me. There’s just too much competition, too much noise. Movies open big and then drop like stones. March gives GBA some room to establish some legs. If it sucks it won’t matter but if reviews are as strong as I feel like they might be...having those extra weekends without a 200 million Disney behemoth can make all the difference.

I think we should all want Ghostbusters Afterlife to open theatrically. I’m surprised some of you are pushing for streaming. I get you want it ASAP. But this is the chance to see the franchise we all love become a big hit and phenomenon again. GB2016 could’ve been that but instead gave the franchise a black eye. Ghostbusters 2 was also seen as a major let down. If you all love Ghostbusters and want sequels and animated series and spin offs, video games or TV shows, that isn’t going to happen with streaming. Sony won’t be making a Greyhound 2 anytime soon(nor were they ever going to. Which is part of why they let it go).

I’ve always maintained that had Sony made a GB3 instead of remake/reboot, it would’ve been huge, box office wise. People wanted it in the same way they wanted to see Indiana Jones 4 or their old friends in the original Star Wars. People wanted to see Harrison Ford play Han Solo, not another actor. So in a selfish way...I really want to see how people respond to GBA since it’s a true sequel. Now of course it’s not really a sequel in the way those other versions of GB3 were.

You know what I really wanted a GB3 to be? No passing the torch, no setting the franchise up for sequels. Just Peter, Ray, Egon and Winston on a case like old times. Remember when Bill Murray accepted that award about 10 years ago? He showed up in costume with a proton pack and he looked AWESOME. I just wanted those characters on a case, busting ghosts. I never understood the need for a new team. They could even have a built in reason why there CANT be a new team. You could say over the course of X amount of years they’ve learned there’s an inherent danger in using the equipment. Or insurance won’t cover new recruits. Or that the guys just refuse to give up the job because they love it. Infact that’s what the movie could’ve been about. They can’t let go.

The website Box Office Mojo, which publishes reports on film grosses, divides the movie year into five seasons. It defines the winter season as lasting from the first day after New Year's week or weekend ends through the Thursday before the first Friday in March. The site's data go back to 1982, and in every year the winter season has had the lowest box office grosses. March 5, 2021 is the very first day after this "winter season." It just doesn't give me much hope.
Afterlife has a lot of movies to compete with in the beginning , and during the course of 2021. It's not going to be able to compete with whatever Disney decides to crank out the rest of the year.

I think Winter/ early spring would be the best bet for Afterlife. I'd love to see a mass Boo it forward campaign and a coming soon with the no ghost logo stamped on Candy bags for people who will still buy Halloween candy even if they don't get to trick or treat because of Covid.

The ideal situation would be to push out merchandise past Halloween to gain maximum exposure. Not waiting until Halloween 2021. Halloween would be the perfect time for Ghostbuster products to be advertised on tv, Carls JR, etc...

Of course all bets are off if we have to endure another shutdown. Then Afterlife is guaranteed to go to digital streaming without a theatrical release.
Jason made an appearance yesterday at a screening of the original and it seems to me he's really going for a big screen experience over streaming.

https://www.facebook.com/37209249625395 ... 721912568/
Davideverona, Alphagaia liked this
deadderek wrote:Jason made an appearance yesterday at a screening of the original and it seems to me he's really going for a big screen experience over streaming.

https://www.facebook.com/37209249625395 ... 721912568/
Heeeey, I think he's wearing the Last Exit to Nowhere Ray's Occult T-shirt. :D I always meant to order one.

Appreciate that he mentioned they're almost done with post on Afterlife.
deadderek liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: August 17th, 2020, 3:02 pm
RichardLess wrote:

The website Box Office Mojo, which publishes reports on film grosses, divides the movie year into five seasons. It defines the winter season as lasting from the first day after New Year's week or weekend ends through the Thursday before the first Friday in March. The site's data go back to 1982, and in every year the winter season has had the lowest box office grosses. March 5, 2021 is the very first day after this "winter season." It just doesn't give me much hope.
Wait. Shouldn’t you be more hopeful that’s it’s NOT in that winter season? Also keep in mind that for a long time, January-March was considered the “studio dumping ground” season. Especially January. The thinking went if the studio had any faith in the film they would’ve released it during the Christmas season or wait until summer. But that thinking is outdated. Sure the first couple weeks of January are still considered dumping grounds. But now that budgets have sky rocketed and the summer season is jam packed with massive blockbusters, real estate is important. Feb-March has seen movies like The Matrix, Batman V Superman, 300, Alice in Wonderland, Captain Marvel, Black Panther etc. Each of those movies either opened huge or had legs. March is now prime real estate.

Plus the marketing opportunities are huge. During non COVID times The holiday season is the season where most non regular movie goers attend theatres. They’ll see trailers for movies they might not have otherwise. Plus there’s the football season, the playoffs and Super Bowl. The oscars and golden globes. If things are back to normal by then? Anything could happen.
deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: August 17th, 2020, 3:02 pm The website Box Office Mojo, which publishes reports on film grosses, divides the movie year into five seasons. It defines the winter season as lasting from the first day after New Year's week or weekend ends through the Thursday before the first Friday in March. The site's data go back to 1982, and in every year the winter season has had the lowest box office grosses. March 5, 2021 is the very first day after this "winter season." It just doesn't give me much hope.
Wait. Shouldn’t you be more hopeful that’s it’s NOT in that winter season? Also keep in mind that for a long time, January-March was considered the “studio dumping ground” season. Especially January. The thinking went if the studio had any faith in the film they would’ve released it during the Christmas season or wait until summer. But that thinking is outdated. Sure the first couple weeks of January are still considered dumping grounds. But now that budgets have sky rocketed and the summer season is jam packed with massive blockbusters, real estate is important. Feb-March has seen movies like The Matrix, Batman V Superman, 300, Alice in Wonderland, Captain Marvel, Black Panther etc. Each of those movies either opened huge or had legs. March is now prime real estate.

Plus the marketing opportunities are huge. During non COVID times The holiday season is the season where most non regular movie goers attend theatres. They’ll see trailers for movies they might not have otherwise. Plus there’s the football season, the playoffs and Super Bowl. The oscars and golden globes. If things are back to normal by then? Anything could happen.
Though technically not in the "winter" season, GB:A is released literally the day after the winter season ends. Some may take comfort in that, but for me it's cutting it a little bit close.
deadderek liked this
Pfffft where I live March 5th is still VERY much Winter weather. That nasty snow all over the ground and it's just too damn cold to go out in general.
groschopf liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:23 am
RichardLess wrote:

Though technically not in the "winter" season, GB:A is released literally the day after the winter season ends. Some may take comfort in that, but for me it's cutting it a little bit close.
A little bit close to what though? Some almanac uses data from before a paradigm shift? Black Panther made 700 million dollars domestically. When did that come out? February. That doesn’t happen if it comes out in May or June. Deadpool made over 300 million Domestic. Look what happened between Deadpool 1 and Deadpool 2. Deadpool 2 had a summer release and made less domestically. Deadpool 1 had a February release date and had room to have some legs. Some people will tell you that these were “sure things” but they were anything but.
RichardLess wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:23 am Though technically not in the "winter" season, GB:A is released literally the day after the winter season ends. Some may take comfort in that, but for me it's cutting it a little bit close.
A little bit close to what though? Some almanac uses data from before a paradigm shift? Black Panther made 700 million dollars domestically. When did that come out? February. That doesn’t happen if it comes out in May or June. Deadpool made over 300 million Domestic. Look what happened between Deadpool 1 and Deadpool 2. Deadpool 2 had a summer release and made less domestically. Deadpool 1 had a February release date and had room to have some legs. Some people will tell you that these were “sure things” but they were anything but.
I'll go with 38 years worth of data over your citing to anecdotal evidence of a MCU movie and Deadpool, a highly anticipated movie that was stuck in development hell for 15 years. Both of these were first entries, whereas GB:A is a sequel to a 35 year old movie. It's apples and oranges, frankly.
JonXCTrack wrote: August 18th, 2020, 12:40 pm
RichardLess wrote:
I'll go with 38 years worth of data over your citing to anecdotal evidence of a MCU movie and Deadpool, a highly anticipated movie that was stuck in development hell for 15 years. Both of these were first entries, whereas GB:A is a sequel to a 35 year old movie. It's apples and oranges, frankly.
You’re only looking at one side of the coin. It’s no accident those movies end up with those release dates. Studios aren’t arbitrarily picking those dates. When Warner Bros set Batman V Superman to open in March, a 250 million dollar behemoth, you think they said “oh we better not because we are really close to the winter where for the past 38 years it’s been the lowest grossing time of year?” Heck no. It was the best strategic option for them. And it worked(well for the opening weekend. Word of mouth killed the legs on that movie).

Looking at the data is fine, but you need a context. You think if Sony opens “Bad Boys For Life” in May or July it hits over 200 million domestic? Hell no. Nothing indicated Deadpool was going to open where it was or end up with a gross that it ended up with. Again, the sequel opens in June and doesn’t do as well. Great reviews, great cinema score. What changed? The competition.

There’s no guarantees in anything. But March is the best place for a mid budget, legacy sequel for a franchise that is on it’s heels. This isn’t 38 years ago. Summer movies rarely, rarely have legs anymore. So if Ghostbuster Afterlife opens to 60-70 million in July, expect it to drop 50 percent or more the next weekend. Now the same thing might happen in March. It might. But the chances are better that *if* GBA is going to have any legs, opening outside of the traditional summer season is the best bet.

Would you rather open your movie in a crowded marketplace where competition is the highest for the entire year, or would you rather open in a less crowded marketplace where the competition is a little less? That’s what March offers.

Let us not forget that we saw a Ghostbusters movie open up in July only 4 short years ago. I think if they open up that movie in February/March they could’ve easily added 30-40 million to its domestic haul. The reviews weren’t terrible, it was certified fresh on rottentomatoes. The opening weekend might’ve been the same, but it maybe doesn’t drop as quickly. Maybe.
robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote: August 19th, 2020, 7:38 am Some new filming footage of one of the Wrectos, and a few new photos I hadn't seen before:

Ghostbusters.net - Wrecto-1 walkaround

I’m telling you right now. If this movie *doesnt* end with a new cleaned up, nice and shiny Ecto 1, barreling out of that Firehouse in the almost exact same way as when the GB’s went to catch Slimer...someone made a HUGE mistake.

I can see it in my head so clearly.
The new crew(whoever that ends up being) sits in the New York firehouse, anxiously waiting that first call. The phone rings. The music builds. A look of excitement on the new GB’s faces. “Here we go”. Janine or a new secretary picks up the phone “Ghostbusters...” and we CUT. Pure blackness. Those familiar doors slide open and we are almost blinded by the lights and sounds. The Ecto 1 all clean and fixed and gorgeous...in all her glory. She peels out at top speed, turns that corner and heads off into the night to unseen adventures. The camera HOLDS. A gelatinous green blob comes FLYING out of the firehouse and takes off after the Ecto 1.

Fade Out.

The End.
Nice, though... If I had to make one alteration, let's borrow something from Backdraft:

The camera holds on Ecto-1 as it starts speeding uptown as the city slides into dusk, we continue to watch the flashes of blue as the camera begins to raise upwards from street level, ending on a skyline shot of 21st Century Manhattan as the 21st Century Ghostbusters get to work.
Dr.D, robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote:Nice, though... If I had to make one alteration, let's borrow something from Backdraft:

The camera holds on Ecto-1 as it starts speeding uptown as the city slides into dusk, we continue to watch the flashes of blue as the camera begins to raise upwards from street level, ending on a skyline shot of 21st Century Manhattan as the 21st Century Ghostbusters get to work.
Then we have an End Credits Scene.

Int. Firehouse - Night

Callie, Grooberson, and Zeddemore are sitting at a table. Talking to a silhouetted figured.

Zeddemore

Thanks for agreeing to meet with us. I know it's been a while.

Callie

Yeah, we really appreciate it. We had to sell my grandfather's Summerville Farmhouse to get this business up and running again. We want to make sure that we take advantage of every tax break we can so that the sale of it is not in vain.

The camera cuts to:

LOUIS TULLY

My pleasure guys! This is so exciting! So, instead of deducting $5,000 in your first year, you may amortize all startup costs over 15 years, taking the same deduction each year. For example, if your startup costs are $45,000, you could deduct $3,000 a year for 15 years. You can also wait to recover your startup costs until you sell your business or close the business, but most business owners don't want to wait that long to get the tax benefit from these startup costs. And ideally you won't close Ghostbusters down again.

In addition to the $5,000 startup deduction, you can deduct up to $5,000 for your business organizational expenses, up to $50,000. Organizational costs are those costs involved in forming the limited liability company and they would include legal fees and other expenses for registering your business legal type and creating agreements with co-owners.

Louis pauses, and looks at Callie and Grooberson sheepishly.

TULLY

Any chance you guys are planning on hiring anybody?

Cut to black.
Ectojeff88 wrote: August 19th, 2020, 12:14 pm OR what if there’s a new office location in Summerville? Same ending, different city.
I can't really see a ghostbusting business thrive in a small town out in the boonies.
RichardLess wrote: August 19th, 2020, 11:22 am I’m telling you right now. If this movie *doesnt* end with a new cleaned up, nice and shiny Ecto 1, barreling out of that Firehouse in the almost exact same way as when the GB’s went to catch Slimer...someone made a HUGE mistake.

The new crew(whoever that ends up being) sits in the New York firehouse, anxiously waiting that first call. The phone rings. The music builds. A look of excitement on the new GB’s faces. “Here we go”. Janine or a new secretary picks up the phone “Ghostbusters...” and we CUT. Pure blackness. Those familiar doors slide open and we are almost blinded by the lights and sounds. The Ecto 1 all clean and fixed and gorgeous...in all her glory. She peels out at top speed, turns that corner and heads off into the night to unseen adventures. The camera HOLDS. A gelatinous green blob comes FLYING out of the firehouse and takes off after the Ecto 1.

Fade Out.

The End.
I think the fact that they are going with Wreckto and there being some spoilers regarding it and the toys they are going to retire the Cadillac since they are becoming so hard and expensive to find.

If this is a passing of the torch then expect the NY HQ, Ecto and original Ghostbusters to be phased out with this movie. A clean cut, fresh start.
TheLegendOfMart wrote:
RichardLess wrote: August 19th, 2020, 11:22 am I’m telling you right now. If this movie *doesnt* end with a new cleaned up, nice and shiny Ecto 1, barreling out of that Firehouse in the almost exact same way as when the GB’s went to catch Slimer...someone made a HUGE mistake.

Fade Out.

The End.
I think the fact that they are going with Wreckto and there being some spoilers regarding it and the toys they are going to retire the Cadillac since they are becoming so hard and expensive to find.

If this is a passing of the torch then expect the NY HQ, Ecto and original Ghostbusters to be phased out with this movie. A clean cut, fresh start.
I agree. This is the transition film and the next one, if there is one, will be a new team, in a new location, with upgraded gear. There may be a Ray Stantz cameo or something, but that's it.
I think Reitman, Reitman, and Aykroyd know that Ghostbusters still needs the influence of the originals. Even if the next film doesn't center on them, no way they are absent.

But we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Still have to see Afterlife.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]