Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:29 am I even pointed them out last time!

Now I feel neglected...
Sorry! I must have missed it in the fast turnover of posts. Good eye!
Bison256 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:03 pm Did sony use product placement to help finance the film?
Ofcourse! Why do you ask? I mean it's common to spread costs like this?
robbritton wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:36 pm
Alphagaia wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:29 am I even pointed them out last time!

Now I feel neglected...
Sorry! I must have missed it in the fast turnover of posts. Good eye!
No prob! Just having fun.
Last edited by Alphagaia on April 11th, 2021, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robbritton liked this
timeware wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:04 pm To give us net nerds something to bitch about. I really think that this could have worked just as well with puppetry , although I wouldn't change a thing.
I think you really underestimate how hard and expensive it is to shoot with a bunch of puppets that have to do very specific things.

I have no doubt they will use puppetry for bigger ghosts, but free roaming mini pufts on a rampage that set themselves on fire while having a medium to low budget? Yeah, those need to be done with CGI.
deadderek, Kingpin, pizzarat liked this
timeware wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:04 pmI really think that this could have worked just as well with puppetry , although I wouldn't change a thing.
They could've achieved them with physical puppets, but I think it would've been a more restrictive and difficult-to-achieve effort, not to mention probably more expensive. There would've been a lot of green-screening required, and multiple sessions of filming to build up a crowd of Mini-Puft puppets (there's a reason crowd shots in the Gremlins movies are used sparingly).
deadderek liked this
deadderek wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:05 am For those who want to see the Mini-Pufts scene UNCROPPED:

https://youtu.be/VjQ_bRKf0XM

What a difference that makes. The clip no longer has the weird commercial feel. The shot compositions seem less haphazard & more deliberate. That makes a HUGE difference for me. How did they manage to get this?
deadderek, Sav C liked this
The uncropped scene is much better, and I was already a fan on the scene. I hope we get a new trailer soon though.

Having had time to process ... I am on the fence about Mini Pufts as a concept. They tread a fine line for me, so it will depend on how prominent and well executed they are in the movie itself. I'm hoping it has more new ghost designs like Muncher, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker either way so long as the film is good.
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
Admittedly, i was disappointed by how small the mini-pufts were when I first saw them as I had been hoping for something like the Marshmallow Minis from the video game. But I've become excited by the concept when the comparison to Gremlins came up. It got me thinking about real gremlins (well, gremlins of folklore) that sabotage machinery. These pufts are small and soft enough to crawl into walls and be passed off as nothing more than mice. But they're also dexterous enough to do some serious damage. They could crawl up into a pack (maybe), the containment unit or the Ecto and do some serious damage.
Alphagaia liked this
Coover5 wrote:Admittedly, i was disappointed by how small the mini-pufts were when I first saw them as I had been hoping for something like the Marshmallow Minis from the video game. But I've become excited by the concept when the comparison to Gremlins came up. It got me thinking about real gremlins (well, gremlins of folklore) that sabotage machinery. These pufts are small and soft enough to crawl into walls and be passed off as nothing more than mice. But they're also dexterous enough to do some serious damage. They could crawl up into a pack (maybe), the containment unit or the Ecto and do some serious damage.
It depends how they're handled, but there was nothing about the original Stay Puft or Gozer, which demonstrated the characteristics of Gremlins (or Minions). That's overthinking it maybe - the context will add a lot.

Still... gunner seat and Muncher are 10/10 so regardless of how Mini Pufts turn out, I'm still very hyped.
Alphagaia liked this
RichardLess wrote: April 12th, 2021, 1:38 amThat makes a HUGE difference for me. How did they manage to get this?
Cuz we've got friends in Sony places. :D
Coover5, Alphagaia, groschopf and 2 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:21 am So. How's the movie?

Also, regarding Puft sizes, I wouldn't be surprised if they vary in size, especially later in the movie.
I can see it now: our heroes are fighting the Mini Pufts and due to their size they think "we've got this." Then some where behind them, the camera shows the Mini pufts combining together, getting larger. At some point oozing over a human skeleton for structural support.
Bison256 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:24 am
Alphagaia wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:21 am So. How's the movie?

Also, regarding Puft sizes, I wouldn't be surprised if they vary in size, especially later in the movie.
I can see it now: our heroes are fighting the Mini Pufts and due to their size they think "we've got this." Then some where behind them, the camera shows the Mini pufts combining together, getting larger. At some point oozing over a human skeleton for structural support.
Wasn't that kind of the way they originally envisioned Puft materializing in NY harbor back during the original film production?

That would be awesome to finally see that realized. I'd be surprised if they passed up that chance, actually.
Honestly I’m kind of hoping they’re just a gag in the store scenes - the whole ‘combining to form a giant Stay Puft’ is a bit Critters 2, innit? As much as I love Critters 2, it’s not really what I want from Ghostbusters, y’know? I’d like some shock of the new in there!
pizzarat, mrmichaelt liked this
So it's been 30 years we've seen Peter & Dana. You think they're still a couple? Happily married? Separated? Divorced?

I think they're divorced but on good terms with each other.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]