Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Where did this idea come from that simply showing something happening is “promoting it”. These parents let their children watch super hero movies where people die constantly and are murdered but god forbid they see someone smoking a cigarette! Like…Tony Stark straight up murders people as Iron Man. Is that promoting murder? Heck no it’s just a silly movie. So how is showing someone get high or smoke a cigarette “promoting it”?

There’s nothing more annoying than “will someone please think of the children!”. They can go watch fluffy bunnies skip down rainbows in the latest Pixar movie. This movie is rated PG-13. That’s plenty old enough to see some drugs getting used. Personally if this movie had the balls to show someone Finn Wolfhards age hanging out with friends & smoking a joint, ya know, like actual teenagers do, I’d applaud that. I really would. It would be a real genuine moment. Somehow this notion came along that Ghostbusters should be family friendly to the point of being neutered. Those first two movies are intense! The first one has a lot of swear words, sexual innuendo and everyone smokes like a chimney. And it’s friggin awesome! The first movie feels gritty and real & borderline rated R. Who doesn’t love that cigarette hanging on to Ray’s lip for dear life when Ray first sees Slimer? That’s a great moment. It’s human.

One of my favourite moments in anything is in the movie Poltergeist. It doesn’t involve ghosts or special effects. It’s just the two parents laying in bed at night, talking, while Steve tries to roll a joint & fails so Diane takes over and they start smoking. They aren’t pot heads. It’s not used as a joke. It’s just a real moment between two adults doing what adults do. I love stuff like that. Anything that adds a verisimilitude to a movie is a good thing.
I get the rating. I get your point. I would just like to be able to enjoy something I grew up with and be able to share that experience with my little niece and nephew now instead of waiting years for them to be able to watch this movie. I have also been setting merchandise aside for them when I know they'll get into the franchise. They are already hooked on The Real Ghostbusters being shown on youtube.

Look, I'll watch Grandma's Boy and Jay and Silent Bob all day long. That doesn't mean I'll let my niece and nephew do the same. So be annoyed if you want. Yeah, everyone smoked in the 80's but that's considered almost taboo now.
Alphagaia liked this
By Hairy Biker
When you think about it Ghostbusters was never intended to be a kids film so smoking, ghost sex, Venkman being a pervert, drinking beer, Dana/ Louis sex....its all teen/ adult type stuff.
The only reason that was all cut back by Ghostbusters II was because of the Real Ghostbusters becoming a hit.
And of course with young teens in Ghostbusters Afterlife I highly doubt there will be underage drinking/ smoking/ drug use.

I was simply making a joke that Dan Aykroyd would try and squeeze in a promotion of his buddies product, sort of how Jim Belushi had a bottle of Crystal Skull on his desk in the Defendants.
timeware, seekandannoy, deadderek and 2 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:38 pmIt's 2021. Unless you stay 100% offline, spoilers (intentional or not) are going to happen. It's shitty but it's reality.
The legal atmosphere has changed in the past 5 years in entertainment. You've seen it in this thread and on social media with take down notices being more pervasive. While members here may not suffer any consequences individually with posting big leaks/spoilers, it runs the risk of reflecting badly against AJ and the site with Sony and Ghost Corps. Whether it is something minimal as a stern email or something more debilitating like blacklisting, it's not worth the risk. That's the big issue we're grappling with behind the scenes. And just because the rest of the Internet may not be able to keep its trap shut in the next month and a half doesn't mean we should jump off the cliff with the other lemmings.

AJ has the final say and let's just wait for his decision, please.
starang11 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:06 pm I think it will be hilarious if they show up in the 1A, which acknowledges GB2 in the biggest way possible.
That would be pretty splendid. Eric making a cryptic tease was cool to see. Alternatively, maybe there's a pile of 1A parts stacked up in the barn where Ecto-1 is parked.
Hairy Biker wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:54 pm I was simply making a joke that Dan Aykroyd would try and squeeze in a promotion of his buddies product, sort of how Jim Belushi had a bottle of Crystal Skull on his desk in the Defendants.
Ha ha, in that trailer shot, I was scrutinizing what was in those jars on the counter. It's all medicinal! j/k :P
pizzarat wrote: September 26th, 2021, 3:50 pm Off the top of my head, the references/connections to GBII that we know about so far... the toaster, Ray's Occult, Cannibal Girls poster at the local theater, and now what happened to 1A... am I missing any? The mood slime was such a memorable part of that film that I bet we'll see it in the background of Afterlife... or even the second logo patch or slime blower pieces. In my opinion anything at all from II just adds another layer of coolness to the GB mythology for the teens to learn about.
During principal photography, someone did find a flier posted up around one of the towns used about Chloe Webb's Elaine character. I don't recall if that was confirmed by anyone on the staff or posted up by someone who got on the set.
Sav C, deadderek, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By tylergfoster
Alphagaia wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 8:15 amImage
I'm not a big fan of the "seen from the back" poster. This one is much better...but why the hell isn't Carrie Coon on this one too?
BatDan wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 11:29 amThey still feel “teasery” to me.

Essential the same as the lone-wrecto one weve had just with people in it now. Was expecting something a little “different”
I agree that the similar color schemes are a little monotonous.
Kingpin wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 4:18 pmGiven Jason went to the effort to find it in the archives for the teaser, it's strange it was set aside for a somewhat similar, but distinctly different typeface.
This would help give it a different look. Sadly, I imagine this is the kind of thing that happens when you go from a teaser trailer that a filmmaker is crafting based on his personal artistic inclinations, and a piece of art a studio marketing department is responsible for.
deadderek wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 5:15 pm I NEED this in my life. Target stores in Texas these are showing up:
Personally, while I really enjoy Funkos, I have never liked the way Mr. Stay-Puft looks as a Funko, and these Mini-Pufts are no different. I'll be a little bummed if we don't get any Pops for the human characters -- I'd rather have Phoebe and Callie and all.
timeware wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 11:09 amAnyone planning on making a mass migration just to see this event?
I actually just started working for an airline and so theoretically I could look into whether or not my free flight benefits will accommodate it, although I'd be a lot more excited about the prospect if I knew who from the film might show up at it.
deadderek wrote: September 25th, 2021, 12:33 pmWhat makes a spoiler ok to post and what makes one not? Asking for some clarification.
I would think not getting on the bad side of the studio that releases the movie series we're all here to celebrate seems like a pretty straightforward line in the sand. Especially given some of you have at least a friendly relationship with Eric at GC.
By deadderek
mrmichaelt wrote: September 26th, 2021, 5:17 pm
deadderek wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:38 pmIt's 2021. Unless you stay 100% offline, spoilers (intentional or not) are going to happen. It's shitty but it's reality.
The legal atmosphere has changed in the past 5 years in entertainment. You've seen it in this thread and on social media with take down notices being more pervasive. While members here may not suffer any consequences individually with posting big leaks/spoilers, it runs the risk of reflecting badly against AJ and the site with Sony and Ghost Corps. Whether it is something minimal as a stern email or something more debilitating like blacklisting, it's not worth the risk. That's the big issue we're grappling with behind the scenes. And just because the rest of the Internet may not be able to keep its trap shut in the next month and a half doesn't mean we should jump off the cliff with the other lemmings.

AJ has the final say and let's just wait for his decision, please.
starang11 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:06 pm I think it will be hilarious if they show up in the 1A, which acknowledges GB2 in the biggest way possible.
That would be pretty splendid. Eric making a cryptic tease was cool to see. Alternatively, maybe there's a pile of 1A parts stacked up in the barn where Ecto-1 is parked.
Hairy Biker wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:54 pm I was simply making a joke that Dan Aykroyd would try and squeeze in a promotion of his buddies product, sort of how Jim Belushi had a bottle of Crystal Skull on his desk in the Defendants.
Ha ha, in that trailer shot, I was scrutinizing what was in those jars on the counter. It's all medicinal! j/k :P
pizzarat wrote: September 26th, 2021, 3:50 pm Off the top of my head, the references/connections to GBII that we know about so far... the toaster, Ray's Occult, Cannibal Girls poster at the local theater, and now what happened to 1A... am I missing any? The mood slime was such a memorable part of that film that I bet we'll see it in the background of Afterlife... or even the second logo patch or slime blower pieces. In my opinion anything at all from II just adds another layer of coolness to the GB mythology for the teens to learn about.
During principal photography, someone did find a flier posted up around one of the towns used about Chloe Webb's Elaine character. I don't recall if that was confirmed by anyone on the staff or posted up by someone who got on the set.
I wasn't specifically meaning GBFans forum, I meant in general. If people absolutely 100% avoid spoilers, the only sure way is to stay off the internet.
starang11 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 3:00 pm
Dr.D wrote: September 26th, 2021, 1:15 pm Uh...for those not following...the Ecto 1A does not exist anymore...it was converted into one of the Wrecktos.
It didn't exist before GB2 either. They built the farmhouse for this movie (not to mention the Ecto-1 which is not the original car), I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could build a new 1A for a few shots. Or something similar to the 1A but not exact, which could easily be explained by them changing it after GB2.

Everything becomes easier to explain if it's two separate cars. It never made sense (within the movie timeline) that they would turn the 1 into the 1A but then back again, and assuming they arrive with their own equipment, it's the easiest way for the OGs to arrive.
If the OGBs have been out of business for 30 years I can't see them rolling up in rural Oklahoma in a pristine Ecto-1A. Ray sounded pretty stern when he got that phone call in the trailer and replied "WE'RE CLOSED." I doubt he's keeping the car in a garage somewhere just in case.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Solid points, but we don't know why Ray sounded stern and what the context was.

Could just as easily been annoyed that he thought he was being called by another Heman fan, and cut of the conversation.
By SpaceBallz
zeta otaku wrote: September 26th, 2021, 8:54 pm He's also a working New Yorker answering a phone after business hours... if anything, his response was TAME.
True.
zeta otaku liked this
By Sav C
I don’t know why but the first time I saw the trailer I thought that when Ray said “we’re closed,” it was almost like he knew the person who was calling, and was saying he was closed because he didn’t want to get involved. Not sure why I got that impression.
Dr.D, Davideverona liked this
By Dr.D
It's the editing...I also got that vibe from that scene. If you look closely, it looks like maybe the scene was cut slightly. I think maybe the phone has been ringing but it's the old GB number and the fact that it's ringing kinda freaks Ray out at first and maybe he doesn't pick up right away.
Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
Dr.D wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:45 pm It's the editing...I also got that vibe from that scene. If you look closely, it looks like maybe the scene was cut slightly. I think maybe the phone has been ringing but it's the old GB number and the fact that it's ringing kinda freaks Ray out at first and maybe he doesn't pick up right away.
There is definitely some dialogue cut out from that clip.

Like the idea that he redirected the OGB phone number!
deadderek liked this
By Kingpin
starang11 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 3:00 pm I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could build a new 1A for a few shots.
It's not impossible, granted... But it's extremely unlikely. We know Sony is wanting to spend less on Afterlife after how much was spent on Answer the Call, and their historical reluctance to spend more money than they felt necessary to restore Ecto-1A... Turning the '1A back into '1A for "a few shots" seems a lot of time and money for a brief sequence.

...But I can't rule it out completely.

I guess what I would advise is don't hang your hopes on seeing Ecto-1A looking like its old self in case they didn't go through the effort of finally restoring her.

I really don't understand how things are "easier to explain" with two cars. The idea of a second car in my mind makes it needlessly complicated.
I'm not sold on seeing the Ecto 1A pop up in this movie either. At least not in it's GBII form.

Would it serve this movie and new audiences to have the OG's turn up in a second Ecto in the final act? Hmmm.

If it happens I'll still be happy with it, but concerned it detracts from the nostalgia and iconography of the "Wreckto" if there's a brand new cleaned up 1A model. I mean, maybe if it was gifted to Trevor in a final scene to replace a destroyed Wreckto that could work. I love the Ecto 1A in it's own way, but it is a very goofy, 80's excess design so if they'd stripped the GBII branding and maybe added some updates we could have another Ecto variant, that might be cool.

I just don't think the film needs it based on what we've seen.
Kingpin liked this
I feel like there are only 3 ways we're seeing Ecto-1A in the film. 1) video/images of scenes from GB2 2) a CGI replica 3) a shot of the roof gear SOMEWHERE in some scene made to look like it's on a car without seeing the full car?

We know they only have the one Ecto-1 for the film and had they made a SECOND full Ecto-1 with MORE roof gear, we would've seen it by now. Ray works in his bookstore and thanks to the toys we know Venkman
This Post Contains Spoilers
, so either of them using it as a daily driver in New York. That leaves Winston who

I dunno, those are just my thoughts on it.
Alphagaia liked this
The thing that bugs me is that with our team, we planned to see Ghostbusters Legacy on day one, in Rome.
I bought the train ticket, booked a room, ready for November 18th.

Just now, news is spreading that Ghostbusters Legacy will have its European premiére on October 14th, in Rome.
Christian Hodkinson wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:42 am The thing that bugs me is that we see the Ecto in Afterlife with the orange plates from GB84. But at the start of GB2 it has the white liberty plates. If 1 and 1A are different cars then that explains the appearance of the Afterlife Ecto 1, but not why the plate is 'incorrect'.
There are a million trivial explanations for this. It's just not that interesting a detail.
Alphagaia liked this
Davideverona wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:52 am The thing that bugs me is that with our team, we planned to see Ghostbusters Legacy on day one, in Rome.

Just now, news is spreading that Ghostbusters Legacy will have its European premiére on October 14th, in Rome.
Our team put in our requests off so many times. Then we felt safe for November....then it got pushed a week.

With the big marketing pushes I feel confident this one is actually happening.
mrmichaelt, Chicken, He Clucked and 3 others liked this
deadderek wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:59 am NEW ARTICLE! NEW PICTURES!

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... ve-images/
Interesting, that second still is from the scene first seen in Trailer #2 of Lucky, Podcast, Trevor, and Phoebe checking out the underground temple. Also didn't occur to me until now that Podcast's wardrobe staple is vests.
deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:52 am The thing that bugs me is that with our team, we planned to see Ghostbusters Legacy on day one, in Rome.

The French release was pushed back to December 1st last week. I've been told that Sony Pictures France is now very confident in the movie's potential. They think that the movie will surprise people and now see it as a Christmas movie (we don't celebrate Halloween over here). They wanted to release the movie closer to the Christmas break in order to allow families to go see it during the holidays. I'd rather have the opportunity to see it in November but c'est la vie as the saying goes. It's good to see that Sony Pictures thinks it has a hit on its hands. I now hope that there'll be press screenings soon.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: September 27th, 2021, 7:32 am Muncher looks so good.

So... another trailer in the next couple of weeks and then the floodgates open I guess with TV spots, full merch reveals, interviews, loads of press coverage etc... so close...
The movie will look amazing visually. I've said it before, but a long delay is the best thing that can happen for CGI. The people can really perfect the imagery instead of working towards an impossible deadline.
Kingpin liked this
zeta otaku wrote:I feel like there are only 3 ways we're seeing Ecto-1A in the film. 1) video/images of scenes from GB2 2) a CGI replica 3) a shot of the roof gear SOMEWHERE in some scene made to look like it's on a car without seeing the full car?

We know they only have the one Ecto-1 for the film and had they made a SECOND full Ecto-1 with MORE roof gear, we would've seen it by now. Ray works in his bookstore and thanks to the toys we know Venkman
, so either of them using it as a daily driver in New York. That leaves Winston who

I dunno, those are just my thoughts on it.
I don't think we'll see an operational Ecto-1A in this movie. It will either show up in a Youtube video that Phoebe watches, such as "Where are the Ghostbusters now?" Or it will show up in a framed photo on Ray's desk. There may be some throwaway line about why the Ecto-1 was saved and the Ecto-1A was not. It could be as simple as the Ecto-1A was destroyed in a bust post-GB II, or Ghostbusters went bankrupt and the Ecto-1A was auctioned off to pay their creditors, and the original Ecto-1 was not auctioned off either because it was not held in the company's name, or because it was deemed so run-down it wasn't worth anything.
zeta otaku, mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:24 am Also didn't occur to me until now that Podcast's wardrobe staple is vests.
Looks like the sort of vest I used to wear when working at a big box store in college.

That device to the left looks like a... scissor lift? Between that and the bunch of electrical cords tucked in behind the steps, it makes me wonder if someone has been working on that temple recently.

Side note: it just occurred to me that Egon might not be dead, just absent. I'm sure he wouldn't survive to the very end of the film, but maybe there's sort of a "character faking their own death and making people think a house is haunted" Scooby Doo element to this mystery. I don't think that scenario is probable... but I guess it could be a possibility.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]