Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
This is why GBA doesn't want to end up on streaming. Look at these numbers for WW84:
tylergfoster, Kingpin liked this
Ok, I got it.

End of the movie.
Ray is willing to restart the business, with Callie, Grooberson and Sheriff Domingo as the new team, Phoebe and the other kids as a sort of research and development team.

They have to discuss the legal and business side of the reopening.

Zoom call, it's Louis.
deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:42 amAs bad as his performance in GB16 was, at least it was a one scene deal. He was in and out. It felt like someone was pointing a gun at his dog off camera “If you don’t give us another take...boom”.
FWIW, on the bonus disc I got (I think it was Target) there is candid behind-the-scenes footage of him and Paul on the day of his cameo shoot and he seems perfectly lively and engaged. I personally still think the issue with the cameos in the 2016 movie is that Aykroyd and Murray should've played different parts. Aykroyd, as the real-life ghost enthusiast, would be funnier as the skeptic that Murray played. Murray, in my opinion, should've played the Mayor, even though Andy Garcia is really funny in the role.

If Ramis was alive, I would have put him in the Charles Dance role.
timeware wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:12 pmThe only OG I see sticking around is Ernie.

If Rudd isn't the next Rowan I do see him starting a new team even if the kid's are stuck being junior Ghostbusters.
I dunno, it seems really hard to believe Dan wouldn't appear in any future movies. He's the cheerleader. It's his baby.

If there is a sequel to Afterlife, my guess is it does not involve a new "team" in the sense that it goes back to the model of the original, but that it instead continues in Summerville with Phoebe and Trevor and Logan Kim and Celeste O'Connor, with the Coon and Rudd characters in supporting roles.
RichardLess wrote: January 4th, 2021, 6:20 am Some random early morning thoughts/rambling:

Man. Think of hard it must be to make a Ghostbusters movie.
It has to be funny. It has to be scary. It has to have action & visual effects. It has to have mythology. And you have to have enough of each so that neither over powers the film.
I agree and I don't agree, mainly because I view Ghostbusters, first and foremost, as a comedy. The effects, in particular, are over-emphasized (including by the 2016 movie), but while the spectacle in these movies should be cool, I don't think spectacle is actually much of a selling point like it is with, say, the Fast & Furious movies.

The core appeal of the original Ghostbusters is a group well-drawn characters and the comic dynamic that arises from their distinct personalities in the face of what's happening around them. That's the engine behind most of the original film's great lines and moments -- Peter getting slimed, Ray being excited about it, Egon telling Ray to save some of it, and later, Winston's pragmatism. The logo, the music, the gear, and the car also provide additional movie-specific iconography, which is cool, but it's hard to know how much value that continues to add to movies made after the original introduced them and people like them. So, you have to rely on that core comic dynamic, IMO.
yourbigpalal83 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:29 pmThe film comes out, and to alot of fans, not all, but alot, it looked bad and the reason it looked bad was because it had nothing to do with the classic films. We wanted Peter, Winston and Ray and a continuation and this just wasnt that.
I have said it before, and will say it again: I am positive that not one person at Sony outside of Ghost Corps is thinking about the fans re: whether this is the original universe or a reboot universe. If everyone agrees (and it seems like they do) that the original timeline would not have gotten an Afterlife-like sequel if the 2016 movie had been a hit, well, there you go. It's just whatever they think will make money. Sony is interested in keeping their $1b+ merch train alive and mining a new franchise out of an IP they fully own, and it really does not matter to them what it consists of. I certainly believe Jason and Eric and Ivan and others who are actually creatively involved in the film care what we think, but the corporation is only interested insofar as it makes them money.

I don't want Afterlife to bomb, but if it does, for me the silver lining would at least be that the mythical (both as in "legendary" and as in "fictional") power of the fan as something studios care about might be punctured a little bit.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 5th, 2021, 2:35 am Not going to tell anyone what to think but if ATC is the worst film you've ever watched, you ain't watched many films, Manos or no Manos.
As someone who has seen hundreds of low-budget, independent, direct-to-DVD films over the years, this is right on the money. A person might hate a film that much, but, just for example, Ghostbusters (2016) is in focus. You can hear the dialogue. It's possible to follow what is happening on a basic level.

Most people don't actually see the truly bad stuff. It doesn't make it that far.
deadderek wrote: January 10th, 2021, 5:58 am Check out the options for Ghostbusters cakes coming this summer:
How it started:
January 2020 - "I can't wait to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife in theaters on July 10th, 2020!"

How it's going:
January 2021 - "New cake decoration spoilers just dropped. They don't tell us anything we don't already know."
robbritton liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Asking for the full picture:

Wonder Woman didn't air here in the Netherlands. Any other countries where it didn't?
Just released in Ukraine, Uruguay, and Philippines. Here's a couple upcoming international dates.

Thursday, Jan. 14 — Azerbaijan, CIS Others, Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Russia

Friday, Jan. 15 — Romania, Turkey

Thursday, Jan. 21 — Chile, Peru

Friday, Jan. 22 — Poland

Thursday, Jan. 28 — Italy

TBD — Bahrain, Ghana, Israel, Kuwait, Lebanon, Asia – Other, LatAm – Other, Islands – Other

https://collider.com/wonder-woman-1984- ... ase-dates/
Alphagaia liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:49 am Well, officially five more months to go.
Don't jinx it.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:23 am
Alphagaia wrote:Asking for the full picture:

Wonder Woman didn't air here in the Netherlands. Any other countries where it didn't?
Just released in Ukraine, Uruguay, and Philippines. Here's a couple upcoming international dates.

Thursday, Jan. 14 — Azerbaijan, CIS Others, Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Russia

Friday, Jan. 15 — Romania, Turkey

Thursday, Jan. 21 — Chile, Peru

Friday, Jan. 22 — Poland

Thursday, Jan. 28 — Italy

TBD — Bahrain, Ghana, Israel, Kuwait, Lebanon, Asia – Other, LatAm – Other, Islands – Other

https://collider.com/wonder-woman-1984- ... ase-dates/
Hmm, to be fair, that are still a lot of countries that will get revenue, so I'm not sure posting the 'BO' is a fair assessement of the facts. Especially if you take HBO and PVOD into account, assume people might watch it at a later date, etc.
We are not even on that list ( just checked, we are slated for 20 january)

Don't get me wrong: I'm not advocating to release GB:A on digital. I absolutely don't want that as I think it's a terrible idea.

I dont think these 'missing countries' will suddenly boost the profits by a 220 M or so. But even with WB releasing these numbers I think there still too much 'Dark Matter' we cannot see to make it a fair assement either way, especially with a movie that quickly got mediocre reviews. Or am I missing something?
mrmichaelt, SpaceBallz liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: January 10th, 2021, 12:37 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:42 amAs bad as his performance in GB16 was, at least it was a one scene deal. He was in and out. It felt like someone was pointing a gun at his dog off camera “If you don’t give us another take...boom”.
FWIW, on the bonus disc I got (I think it was Target) there is candid behind-the-scenes footage of him and Paul on the day of his cameo shoot and he seems perfectly lively and engaged. I personally still think the issue with the cameos in the 2016 movie is that Aykroyd and Murray should've played different parts. Aykroyd, as the real-life ghost enthusiast, would be funnier as the skeptic that Murray played. Murray, in my opinion, should've played the Mayor, even though Andy Garcia is really funny in the role.

If Ramis was alive, I would have put him in the Charles Dance role.
timeware wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:12 pmThe only OG I see sticking around is Ernie.

If Rudd isn't the next Rowan I do see him starting a new team even if the kid's are stuck being junior Ghostbusters.
I dunno, it seems really hard to believe Dan wouldn't appear in any future movies. He's the cheerleader. It's his baby.

If there is a sequel to Afterlife, my guess is it does not involve a new "team" in the sense that it goes back to the model of the original, but that it instead continues in Summerville with Phoebe and Trevor and Logan Kim and Celeste O'Connor, with the Coon and Rudd characters in supporting roles.
RichardLess wrote: January 4th, 2021, 6:20 am Some random early morning thoughts/rambling:

Man. Think of hard it must be to make a Ghostbusters movie.
It has to be funny. It has to be scary. It has to have action & visual effects. It has to have mythology. And you have to have enough of each so that neither over powers the film.
I agree and I don't agree, mainly because I view Ghostbusters, first and foremost, as a comedy. The effects, in particular, are over-emphasized (including by the 2016 movie), but while the spectacle in these movies should be cool, I don't think spectacle is actually much of a selling point like it is with, say, the Fast & Furious movies.

The core appeal of the original Ghostbusters is a group well-drawn characters and the comic dynamic that arises from their distinct personalities in the face of what's happening around them. That's the engine behind most of the original film's great lines and moments -- Peter getting slimed, Ray being excited about it, Egon telling Ray to save some of it, and later, Winston's pragmatism. The logo, the music, the gear, and the car also provide additional movie-specific iconography, which is cool, but it's hard to know how much value that continues to add to movies made after the original introduced them and people like them. So, you have to rely on that core comic dynamic, IMO.
yourbigpalal83 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:29 pmThe film comes out, and to alot of fans, not all, but alot, it looked bad and the reason it looked bad was because it had nothing to do with the classic films. We wanted Peter, Winston and Ray and a continuation and this just wasnt that.
I have said it before, and will say it again: I am positive that not one person at Sony outside of Ghost Corps is thinking about the fans re: whether this is the original universe or a reboot universe. If everyone agrees (and it seems like they do) that the original timeline would not have gotten an Afterlife-like sequel if the 2016 movie had been a hit, well, there you go. It's just whatever they think will make money. Sony is interested in keeping their $1b+ merch train alive and mining a new franchise out of an IP they fully own, and it really does not matter to them what it consists of. I certainly believe Jason and Eric and Ivan and others who are actually creatively involved in the film care what we think, but the corporation is only interested insofar as it makes them money.

I don't want Afterlife to bomb, but if it does, for me the silver lining would at least be that the mythical (both as in "legendary" and as in "fictional") power of the fan as something studios care about might be punctured a little bit.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 5th, 2021, 2:35 am Not going to tell anyone what to think but if ATC is the worst film you've ever watched, you ain't watched many films, Manos or no Manos.
As someone who has seen hundreds of low-budget, independent, direct-to-DVD films over the years, this is right on the money. A person might hate a film that much, but, just for example, Ghostbusters (2016) is in focus. You can hear the dialogue. It's possible to follow what is happening on a basic level.

Most people don't actually see the truly bad stuff. It doesn't make it that far.
deadderek wrote: January 10th, 2021, 5:58 am Check out the options for Ghostbusters cakes coming this summer:
How it started:
January 2020 - "I can't wait to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife in theaters on July 10th, 2020!"

How it's going:
January 2021 - "New cake decoration spoilers just dropped. They don't tell us anything we don't already know."
Andy Garcia gets one of the few genuine laughs from me in the movie where he gets upset over the comparison to the Mayor in Jaws. His delivery is perfect. I chuckle just thinking about it. But I also think your idea of Bill as the Mayor and Dan as the skeptic would’ve really worked. Interesting.

As for your saying you agree and disagree with what I was saying about why it’s so hard to make Ghostbusters. I’m not sure what you are disagreeing with. I’m in exact agreement with you. All I was saying was that nailing all of those things is difficult. Extremely difficult. Of course it’s primarily a comedy. But a comedy containing all these other elements make it especially difficult to pull off. It’s a hard needle to thread. The movie goes from scary, to funny, to suspense, to funny, to action, to funny. All without undercutting the tension, suspense or horror element. That’s an amazing feat. And you add to that not only is it funny, but it’s *really* hilarious, the action really works, and the horror is really effective & scary. So many movies have failed at that “Ghostbusters” style comedy where there’s scope of big set pieces & great comedy.

It’s actually interesting how many here don’t view Ghostbusters as a comedy first & foremost. They see it as more of a sci fi spectacle that just happens to have funny people in it. They are in it for the gear, ghosts and busting more than the comedy. Which is fine. Buts it’s just interesting how you can get that dichotomy of fans who want and expect different things from this franchise. As a kid, I had zero idea Ghostbusters was a comedy. Mr. Stay Puft wasnt a great sight gag but just another obstacle the GBs had to face. Or when Louis is like “Maybe I got a milk bone” to the terror dog, as a kid I thought “damn it’s too bad he doesn’t have a milk bone otherwise the terror dog would leave him alone”. I didn’t see the joke as a desperate geek totally out of his league dealing with an inter dimensional being & thinking a milk bone might placate it.
To be fair, many people here don't see Ghostbusters as a comedy first hand because they saw it as a kid, and a lot of the jokes went over their heads. The actual scary stuff was right in their face, and it felt more of an 'adventure' type movie to a lot of us.

It's only later most of the fans started to get that innuendo's like crossing the streams and grab your stick were dick jokes. Even 'aim for the flat top' was a joke, as you don't see them hitting her head, but lower.
Alphagaia wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:44 am Even 'aim for the flat top' was a joke, as you don't see them hitting her head, but lower.
Wait....what?
deadderek wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:16 am
Alphagaia wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:44 am Even 'aim for the flat top' was a joke, as you don't see them hitting her head, but lower.
Wait....what?
I guess someone is rewatching that scene right now and going 'o shit, he's right'!

It's a brilliantly done misdirect visually. You get the aim for the flat top line, and what seems to be a POV shot where the streams are blocking the view, only to see a headshot of a cross eyed Gozer. You expect that's where she gets hit, only you realize there aren't any streams in the shot anymore, just some flashes of light, with her 'other flat top' not in the shot while the streams are audible still going off.

Next shot, with streams still firing through her torso, she vanishes.
We'll be getting "Ghetto Busters" soon:

https://abc30.com/amp/ghostbusters-spoo ... s/9542241/
Kingpin wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:20 am It was more a direction to shoot at Gozer in general, rather than to specifically aim at its head.
Hmm, I took it as another innuendo in a string of them, starting after Venkman saying this chick is toast.

Fine either way, just thought it was a funny gag that's easy to miss.
Variety published an article today about studios prepping to push movies out again as the vaccine distribution moves slowly. Ghostbusters: Afterlife doesn't come up specifically, but there is the following note:
Neither Sony nor Paramount have a streaming service ready to offload titles, so those companies will probably continue to delay release dates or sell their movies to platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Sony declined to comment on the scheduling.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/movi ... 234881304/
Last edited by tylergfoster on January 11th, 2021, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardLess wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:25 amAs for your saying you agree and disagree with what I was saying about why it’s so hard to make Ghostbusters. I’m not sure what you are disagreeing with. I’m in exact agreement with you. All I was saying was that nailing all of those things is difficult. Extremely difficult. Of course it’s primarily a comedy. But a comedy containing all these other elements make it especially difficult to pull off. It’s a hard needle to thread. The movie goes from scary, to funny, to suspense, to funny, to action, to funny. All without undercutting the tension, suspense or horror element. That’s an amazing feat. And you add to that not only is it funny, but it’s *really* hilarious, the action really works, and the horror is really effective & scary. So many movies have failed at that “Ghostbusters” style comedy where there’s scope of big set pieces & great comedy.

It’s actually interesting how many here don’t view Ghostbusters as a comedy first & foremost. They see it as more of a sci fi spectacle that just happens to have funny people in it. They are in it for the gear, ghosts and busting more than the comedy. Which is fine. Buts it’s just interesting how you can get that dichotomy of fans who want and expect different things from this franchise. As a kid, I had zero idea Ghostbusters was a comedy. Mr. Stay Puft wasnt a great sight gag but just another obstacle the GBs had to face. Or when Louis is like “Maybe I got a milk bone” to the terror dog, as a kid I thought “damn it’s too bad he doesn’t have a milk bone otherwise the terror dog would leave him alone”. I didn’t see the joke as a desperate geek totally out of his league dealing with an inter dimensional being & thinking a milk bone might placate it.
What I was getting at is that I mostly don't isolate any of those other things that are not comedy from the comedy. The "Revelations" scene in the original is serious, and there's some good eeriness in some Ghostbusters II scenes (Janosz's glowing eyes, the burning photos, the tub slime, parts of the sewer sequence), but I personally don't think of these movies as scary or horror in any meaningful sense. I also think you can get away without the mythology, that it's mostly us fans who are interested in that aspect of it.

I also saw the original as a kid and just thought it was a sci-fi action/adventure, but I still think the movie is overwhelmingly recognized as a comedy, and that a filmmaker doesn't necessarily have to cater to the sci-fi adventure aspects for them to come through (it feels kind of built into the premise).
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:02 pm Variety published an article today about studios prepping to push movies out again as the vaccine distribution moves slowly. Ghostbusters: Afterlife doesn't come up specifically, but there is the following note:
Neither Sony nor Paramount have a streaming service ready to offload titles, so those companies will probably continue to delay release dates or sell their movies to platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Sony declined to comment on the scheduling.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/movi ... 234881304/
They know they're not gonna make $200-300 mil at the box office with just theatrical release, those days are long gone until MAYBE 2022. Of course exhibitors are criticizing the numbers for WW84, they got a huge kick in the nuts with WB going duel theatrical/ streaming this year (plus that movie kinda sucked). WB isn't banking on just B.O. profit, they're betting on accumulated subscription services for the next year.
SpaceBallz wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:31 pmWB isn't banking on just B.O. profit, they're betting on accumulated subscription services for the next year.
Worth reiterating here that fellow streaming giant Disney doesn't expect Disney+ to turn a profit until 2024.

viewtopic.php?p=4943172#p4943172
BatDan wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:53 pm They better not. Please dont.

Hollywoods gonna shoot itself in the foot if they keep doing this. Just stick with the new dates and VOD for 20 bucks like Bill and Ted 3.
Again, Bill & Ted 3 grossed in the neighborhood of $32m worldwide.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/bill-ted-f ... 234588800/

If the movie is going to be successful enough to result in more Ghostbusters movies or TV shows, then it has to go to theaters (or a streaming service has to offer a $150m-ish pricetag to get the temporary, non-video, non-merch, non-IP rights to it).

People are worried that theaters won't survive, but, the very studios that are holding their movies for theaters are going to do something to save theaters. I don't know what it is, but multiple companies, even the ones with streaming plans like Disney and Warner Bros., they have billions of dollars worth of box office laying in wait on the table once we can finally say the pandemic is past us, and I imagine they're anticipating an even higher demand than normal.
Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last mil[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]

A Victorian Ghostbuster

Since September I put up a new shop building, and […]