Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Inevitably, Paul Rudd is going to appear on Conan to promote Afterlife.

Equally inevitably, Rudd will promise to show him a clip from the film, but it will be the out of control wheelchair scene from Mac & Me instead.

Hey Conan... beat him to the punch and show this clip instead:

Last edited by Kingpin on April 30th, 2021, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Alphagaia, Sav C, zeta otaku and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:25 pm Inevitably, Paul Rudd is going to appear on Conan to promote Afterlife.

Equally inevitably, Rudd will promise to show him a clip from the film, but it will be the out of control wheelchair scene from Mac & Me instead.

Hey Conan... beat him to the punch and show this clip instead:

If it was me I'd go really meta and animate Garrett over top of the kid.
As a Star Wars fan I was thrilled by the toy potential of this when it was announced https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/13/2238 ... ben-ridout

But I'm also excited for the potential with Ghostbusters roleplay toys. Imagine the lightsaber blade core with an outer spiral (think of a Slinky) to simulate a proton pack stream. Or a pink blade with a unique burst tip design for a slime blower.

As much as I love the original Kenner designs and rereleases I hope some of the future Afterlife toys will make use of some of these advances.
Prime 1986 liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:55 am
philmorgan81 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:35 am LOL! I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I think it would be kind of cool if they revealed that Grooberson was one of the little boys waving around the Ghostbusters T Shirts at the end of the first film. :):):)
Didn't Jason Rietman reveal that as the plan? Or did I dream that? Because I've had that same thought since day one.
LOL! Nice to know I am not the only one with that train of thought. :):):)
Ghostytheghost wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:17 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:35 am LOL! I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I think it would be kind of cool if they revealed that Grooberson was one of the little boys waving around the Ghostbusters T Shirts at the end of the first film. :):):)
Makes sense considering they probably did witness the Crossrip, definitely has a reasonable age distance between '84 and '19. Way more sense than Oscar, who was born way after GB1 even happened. Granted I've seen a claim that Grooberson is the rookie from the 2009 game, although wouldn't work due to the game being supposedly retconned.
Oh we don’t know for sure that the events in the 2009 game are going to be ignored yet. I’ll try not to open up that can of worms again. ;)

Either way I doubt Rudd is the Rookie. I am not sure where that rumor came from, I think it was something that was brought up early in this thread that somehow got spread as fact. No the actual original wording that I heard about Rudd’s character was that he was “a seismologist, and that he was present in New York during the events of the 1984 New York Crossrip.” Supposedly in Afterlife that is how the events of the first film will be addressed. I see no reason they can’t refer to the events of Ghostbusters 2 as the 1989 New York Crossrip, and the event of the game as the 1991 New York Crossrip. I believe these are supposed to be a play on the events Ray referred to at the end of the first movie like The Taguska Blast of 1909. :):):)
philmorgan81 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:48 pm
Ghostytheghost wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Makes sense considering they probably did witness the Crossrip, definitely has a reasonable age distance between '84 and '19. Way more sense than Oscar, who was born way after GB1 even happened. Granted I've seen a claim that Grooberson is the rookie from the 2009 game, although wouldn't work due to the game being supposedly retconned.
Oh we don’t know for sure that the events in the 2009 game are going to be ignored yet. I’ll try not to open up that can of worms again. ;)

Either way I doubt Rudd is the Rookie. I am not sure where that rumor came from, I think it was something that was brought up early in this thread that somehow got spread as fact. No the actual original wording that I heard about Rudd’s character was that he was “a seismologist, and that he was present in New York during the events of the 1984 New York Crossrip.” Supposedly in Afterlife that is how the events of the first film will be addressed. I see no reason they can’t refer to the events of Ghostbusters 2 as the 1989 New York Crossrip, and the event of the game as the 1991 New York Crossrip. I believe these are supposed to be a play on the events Ray referred to at the end of the first movie like The Taguska Blast of 1909. :):):)
Besides being another bridge from '84 to the present, I also feel like the recollection of more antics from the OGB will make their legendary status more foreshadowing before the kids actually get to meet them in their small town.
philmorgan81 liked this
pizzarat wrote: April 30th, 2021, 9:34 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:48 pm

Besides being another bridge from '84 to the present, I also feel like the recollection of more antics from the OGB will make their legendary status more foreshadowing before the kids actually get to meet them in their small town.
Yeah I am looking forward to finding out how long the Ghostbusters were active in the film universe before they disbanded. I am getting the disbanded feel with the car, uniforms, and all the equipment being locked up in the middle of nowhere. I am also getting a feeling that the OGs might be saving the world this time for more personal reasons rather than for being awarded a hefty paycheck. That’s not to say that Venkman won’t possibly do his best to try to get paid in the aftermath. ;) Again I think the fate of the world is still hanging in the balance, but having the action in a small town will have it feel more personal. Even though this movie is to be the new jumping off point for more Ghostbusters projects, I really feel like this is supposed to feel like the closing chapter of the whole Legacy.

I could be wrong, and it is way too soon to tell, but I feel like this adventure with this cast is a one and done deal. To tell a wonderful story about four kids suiting up in a desperate situation to save the world, not to start up a business. That to me makes it feel linked to the spirit of the original film yet remarkably different from it as well. I really don’t see much reason for the Ghostbusters Business to re open or even take off again after they save the world in Afterlife. I can’t imagine Callie would want her children to continue to handle unlicensed nuclear accelerators. That would just be irresponsible parenting. ;)

I am wondering if the Ghostbusters truly faded into obscurity or if there are more people like Grooberson who know who the Ghostbusters are and Callie has just gone out of her way to hide her children from any affiliation with the Ghostbusters.

I am really looking forward to the answer of when Egon started a family and why is he apparently not on speaking terms with them. Like many here have tried to figure out, was Egon even aware that he had a daughter? Like did he have some fling with some girl pre events of the first film and Callie is just as in the dark about who her father was. Like did they get evicted from their home and she just recently found out about her father who had just passed away?

I am really looking forward to what goes through Trevor’s mind when he finds the Ecto 1. Is he thinking, “Wow what an awesome Cadillac. I bet I can fix this baby up.” ?

Does he have any questions about the decals on the car? Does he wonder why the car has hazard lights? Does he think that it was a pursuit vehicle of some kind? I am super excited to see this story unravel. I think we will be taking the journey with these new characters as they slowly discover not only their connection with the Ghostbusters, but also what has happened to the OGs from the events post Ghostbusters 2. :):):)
seekandannoy liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:03 pm Sony has pushed back Morbius by a week
If anything, that suggests that they are sure they will be releasing around that time. Reassurance from Sony is a good thing in my book. Always holding out hope that they will move the film either up to before Halloween, or to a holiday film in December. November just doesn't feel all that Ghostbustery of a month.
I agree that after Halloween but before Christmas seems a bit odd for a Ghostbusters film to be released. I'll have to make sure to smuggle in a plate of turkey and mashed potatoes to my inevitable weekly adventures to see the movie while it's still in theaters.
Davideverona liked this
deadderek wrote: May 1st, 2021, 8:11 am I agree that after Halloween but before Christmas seems a bit odd for a Ghostbusters film to be released. I'll have to make sure to smuggle in a plate of turkey and mashed potatoes to my inevitable weekly adventures to see the movie while it's still in theaters.
I love thanksgiving.It's the only time of the year you can give your relatives the bird!
Last edited by timeware on May 1st, 2021, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
below_radar_00 liked this
Alphagaia wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:42 am Isn't November close enough for Christmas and Black Friday to have an effect on the release date?

Should be bigger than Halloween right, as most countries don't even have that.
Why would someone “dislike” this comment? He was asking a friggin question. Why would you dislike that? Who does that?

Shame on you.
groschopf, Alphagaia liked this
RichardLess wrote: May 1st, 2021, 12:18 pm
Alphagaia wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:42 am Isn't November close enough for Christmas and Black Friday to have an effect on the release date?

Should be bigger than Halloween right, as most countries don't even have that.
Why would someone “dislike” this comment? He was asking a friggin question. Why would you dislike that? Who does that?

Shame on you.
Thank you, you are a good lad, indeed I was only asking a question about the movie that we all can't wait to see, but some people are stressed out and sad and need to crush the others to get a bit of hapiness, but hapinness doesn't work like that I tell you.
As for your question on the mini pufts alot of us think the scene works just fine. There's good CGI and there's bad CGI. Just watch a Scy Fy channel movie and you'll know what I mean.

So far from what iv'e seen the special effects have been better then the last Ghostbusters film and more of a Ghostbusters II look I think for the sake of nolstagia.

Iv'e worked a few black Friday's and the situation is a mad house no matter what you shake at it. usually theaters offer discounts around that time of year so attendance is full. The store I worked at was right near a Regal that had a full parking lot. Last thing I wanted to do was work a full nights shift then jump into another mad house. Yikes!
Kingpin, Sav C, Timo liked this
jaypakavelya wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:58 am I wonder if the mini stay pufts CGI will be reworked or this is pretty much the version we will see in the final product, in my opinion the CGI could be better, looks cheap like a commercial version.. even better would be pratical effects like in gremlins but I know they won't go that route
First off... no idea why this was disliked twice... anyway, I don't think the effects will change much. While it's possible they're going back to tweak the visuals as this is the -checks notes- third time the movie has had a release date, it's also unlikely they've done anything with them since the first delay.
Sav C liked this
zeta otaku wrote: May 1st, 2021, 1:21 pm
jaypakavelya wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:58 am I wonder if the mini stay pufts CGI will be reworked or this is pretty much the version we will see in the final product, in my opinion the CGI could be better, looks cheap like a commercial version.. even better would be pratical effects like in gremlins but I know they won't go that route
First off... no idea why this was disliked twice... anyway, I don't think the effects will change much. While it's possible they're going back to tweak the visuals as this is the -checks notes- third time the movie has had a release date, it's also unlikely they've done anything with them since the first delay.
I was under the impression it was a picture lock. They were done with the work on it.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
It's clear they're CG rather than practical puppets, but they seem perfectly passable quality-wise. There'll definitely be films coming out in the near future (low and high-budget) with effects that'll look poorer in comparison (*coughFastandtheFurious9cough*).
Kingpin wrote: May 1st, 2021, 8:26 pm It's clear they're CG rather than practical puppets, but they seem perfectly passable quality-wise. There'll definitely be films coming out in the near future (low and high-budget) with effects that'll look poorer in comparison (*coughFastandtheFurious9cough*).
I also do not mind the quality of the mini-pufts. However, I hope that the proton streams blend-in more to the scenes. In the trailer it appears almost like a quickly-rendered temp file. I really like that the new stream looks like a hybrid from the first and second movie. The lasso effect is one of those subtle changes that you didn't notice when you first saw GBII at age 5.
deadderek liked this
Yeah, as was discussed before, the CGI enables the Pufts to do a lot more for a LOT less money. And they look perfectly fine.

If this was to be done with puppets it would have cost a lot more, and since this is a relatively cheap movie, I think the budget spent on puppets is done for bigger ghosts. Can't wait to see those in action though!
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
With the Baby Groot animatronic robot coming out this year, I wonder if Universal has plans on doing much smaller mini pufts for the park?

Granted they would be half the size of Groot but I don't think anyone would care if the puft's aren't made to exact scale. Would it not be awesome to see the Gremlins and Puft's running around universal causing supervised Chaos?

deadderek liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]