Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Bison256 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm I have doubts that the farm house will survive the movie. Why else would they build a verison on a sound stage.
I get the impression the sound-stage version is a combined interior/exterior set... Something that'd allow them to, say, film a tracking shot following a given character running from inside of the house and out into the farm immediately surrounding it... Something that avoids the tricky "quick cut" to stitch the two locations together that even the best efforts don't always pull-off.
droidguy1119 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 4:59 pmHe says in "Pass the Proton Pack" that he was the age his father was when Ivan made Ghostbusters, and I think that made him introspective. I want the franchise to continue for sure, but I also think that Jason will move on to another thing after this, and not stick around to be the steward of Ghostbusters.
It's a considerable pair of shoes for Jason to step into, not just with regard to following up the 1984 hit and its sequel, but also to lay the foundation for how the franchise goes forward.

He's going to be subject to a considerable level of comparison to his father on multiple levels... And having grown up seeing how Ghostbusters has remained a constant presence in his father's life... A yard stick to which every film he's directed and produced after will always be compared to, I think we'd all support Jason if he wished to move on to other projects, even in the hopeful scenario of Afterlife proving successful.

It's wonderful he took on the task of making the film his father wasn't able to, but I wouldn't want him to have the pressure of becoming the film franchise's custodian at the expense of him doing the projects that best interest him... And as we've seen with Ivan, and even Robert Zemeckis with the Back to the Future trilogy, even having the original director on-board doesn't guarantee their next work in that universe will be as good or successful as the originator.

But if we're lucky, Afterlife might well be this franchise's Back to the Future: Part III: unable to eclipse the original, but a damn enjoyable film, probably the most solid after the first, and helps to soften the negatives of the middle movie.
BatDan, tylergfoster liked this
Since someone mentioned BTTF3, I’m going to share this unpopular opinion:

I’d be perfectly happy if Afterlife ties a bow on the story and we get a “The End” at the end credits. No more asking about the next one. Wrap up the trilogy in the Reitman family and be done with it.

I fully expect that won’t be the case though.
BatDan, Corey91 liked this
One more thing on GB2 continuity before we move on…

Okay now i know legacy sequels like have alot of “member berries” …but to put things back to basics…how many times was GB1 mentioned in GB2?

Outside of the familiarity the characters have with one another, the first films events are only sparingly mentioned for exposition and one comedic bit:

-winston talking about getting sued/Stay Puft after the birthday gig

- peter mentioning getting “stiffed by the bill” which caused them not to ghost bust anymore

- louis’ hilarious testimony to the judge about turning into a dog

Thats about it as far as GB1 continuity bled into mostly the first act of GB2.

So even if we dont get alot of GB2 references. Its there in spirit. But my money bets on mood slime in the pits of the mine.

That be pretty a big deal to me because i love the river of slime.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that in to put things in perspective.

Back to BTTF: bttf 2 is frickin awesome! I always thought 2 was better than 3 and never knew it was considered weak til the internet (much like gb2). Bttf 3 has grown on me though the years and its a solid ending to a great trilogy..I hope we get as good a wrap around the way bttf 3 tapped things off.
Sav C, pizzarat, Kingpin liked this
also, i remember seeing this wikipedia synopsis like a year or so ago (i snapshotted it in DEC 2019) and it was erased almost immediately that week...(now i know wiki is nothing to go off obviously and things get changed all the time) however...the way it was taken down and replaced with something more generic was peculiar.. as looking back it reads almost like how the new trailer builds up, which is very bizarre.
This Post Contains Spoilers
If Afterlife is successful, NO WAY Sony doesn't go all "franchise mode" on it. They have been trying to get another franchise (besides Spiderman), that they can bank on. So If Afterlife is successful, something will happen (sequel, series, animation, all of the above).

From an artistic stand point, I agree, if Afterlife is successful, ending is a smart move. We could put GB in the conversation with the great trilogies, that would be fun. But from a business stand point, I can't see it happening. Sony is actually doing pretty good, they have Spiderman, Karate Kid, Venom (although kinda spiderman), Ghostbusters hitting, and still have MIB as well.
pizzarat, tylergfoster liked this
BatDan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:46 pm One more thing on GB2 continuity before we move on…

Okay now i know legacy sequels like have alot of “member berries” …but to put things back to basics…how many times was GB1 mentioned in GB2?

Outside of the familiarity the characters have with one another, the first films events are only sparingly mentioned for exposition and one comedic bit:

- peter mentioning getting “stiffed by the bill” which caused them not to ghost bust anymore

So even if we dont get alot of GB2 references. Its there in spirit. But my money bets on mood slime in the pits of the mine.

I suggested a few posts back that I think the Giga Meter having a cameo on the table in Afterlife would be neat because I enjoyed the subtle callbacks to GB1 in GB2 like Peter's wall in his apartment and office in the Firehouse had newspapers/magazines from the first movie's montage. Or the Star Magazine Rudy the museum guard reads has a photo of Peter, Ray, and Egon that is a promo shot taken during production of the first movie in New York at 696 Madison Avenue during filming of what became the Ectomobile Rejects A Parking Ticket deleted scene. Also some out-of-universe stuff like Peter playing Dana's cello like a guitar or the mink coat were from drafts of the first movie. So seeing a lot of bts photos in the recent trailer did make me grin.
Sav C, pizzarat liked this
So...

On TVG front, I'm thinking some of the proton mods from TVG WILL end up in Afterlife. This is just my speculation, but for evidence I point to the Plasma series Spengler Wand and the Hasbro MOD wand. Both of them have a "slime blower" type feature. Makes me hope...

I don't think the game will be canon, but I'd love to see the pack mods become official movie Canon.
mrmichaelt wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:33 pm
BatDan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:46 pm One more thing on GB2 continuity before we move on…

I suggested a few posts back that I think the Giga Meter having a cameo on the table in Afterlife would be neat because I enjoyed the subtle callbacks to GB1 in GB2 like Peter's wall in his apartment and office in the Firehouse had newspapers/magazines from the first movie's montage. Or the Star Magazine Rudy the museum guard reads has a photo of Peter, Ray, and Egon that is a promo shot taken during production of the first movie in New York at 696 Madison Avenue during filming of what became the Ectomobile Rejects A Parking Ticket deleted scene. Also some out-of-universe stuff like Peter playing Dana's cello like a guitar or the mink coat were from drafts of the first movie. So seeing a lot of bts photos in the recent trailer did make me grin.
This makes a great point. Even if the audience doesn't necessarily remember the Giga-Meter, river of slime, or even the Statue of Liberty walk, it will still look really cool or provide some more history about about who the OGB were. I never knew the cello guitar was in the first movie's draft! There will always be new info about that movie to learn.
Sav C liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: August 5th, 2021, 3:43 pm
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm Switching gears...

My gut feeling regarding the Firehouse is, it'll get mentioned or referenced, but the Ghostbusters no longer have it. So I feel it's a thing of GB past at this point, hence why we haven't seen a SINGLE piece of toy/merch/whatever firehouse related. Going forward this farmhouse from Afterlife is most likely going to be the base of operations imo, if they need a "base of operations."
In my mind, just my mind, Ray still owns it to watch over the ECU. He lives there all alone and works at ROB during the day.
Maybe he rents out the very top level to help with the bills.

I could see him having the main level of the firehouse be a Ghostbusters giftshop that's covered in dust and cobwebs from not being used in years.
BatDan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:47 pm also, i remember seeing this wikipedia synopsis like a year or so ago (i snapshotted it in DEC 2019) and it was erased almost immediately that week...(now i know wiki is nothing to go off obviously and things get changed all the time) however...the way it was taken down and replaced with something more generic was peculiar.. as looking back it reads almost like how the new trailer builds up, which is very bizarre.
The one part that sets off my BS flags is the "young recruit" part, which does not line up with the Vanity Fair coverage saying Grooberson was merely a witness to the 1984 Crossrip. The rest of it is pretty generic and pretty obviously true from the first trailer.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:49 pmIf Afterlife is successful, NO WAY Sony doesn't go all "franchise mode" on it. They have been trying to get another franchise (besides Spiderman), that they can bank on. So If Afterlife is successful, something will happen (sequel, series, animation, all of the above).
There is also the fact that Ghostbusters is an IP Sony owns outright, and so many of those other franchises are not.

I would like to see them think outside the box on whatever comes next. I was under the impression that "Ecto Force" was dead, but as far as I know, the CGI "Real Ghostbusters" movie is still being developed. I also remember walking out of Spider-Verse and thinking, "man, they could do so many fun things with Ghostbusters using CG animation." But we'll see what even happens. I'm still cautious in my optimism about how this one will do.

As a side note, I love all three of the Back to the Future movies, even if the first one is the one with the emotional hook (would I be friends with my parents if I met them at my age?) and the others are basically pure character-driven adventure. I think I can trace a huge chunk of the kind of sequel "tricks" that I really like back to Back to the Future Part II returning to 1955 and basically strolling through the original movie.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
BatDan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:47 pm also, i remember seeing this wikipedia synopsis like a year or so ago (i snapshotted it in DEC 2019) and it was erased almost immediately that week...(now i know wiki is nothing to go off obviously and things get changed all the time) however...the way it was taken down and replaced with something more generic was peculiar.. as looking back it reads almost like how the new trailer builds up, which is very bizarre.
The first trailer came out on Dec 9, 2019. I feel like what's written could have easily been taken from watching that (minus the obvious guesses [time of him moving and Rudds backstory]).
deadderek liked this
Cincithon1109 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 2:48 pm
deadderek wrote: August 5th, 2021, 2:41 pm

A downright dumb thought to have when there's 0 evidence to back it up. Not a SINGLE shred of evidence to think otherwise.
Dude.....you need a hug.
Not really. Just annoyed by dumb shit in the fandom.
devilmanozzy liked this
Corey91 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 11:27 pm
The first trailer came out on Dec 9, 2019. I feel like what's written could have easily been taken from watching that (minus the obvious guesses [time of him moving and Rudds backstory]).
AGREED.
Kingpin wrote: August 5th, 2021, 3:29 pm Ghostbusters fans, like all fans, have a tendency to get caught up in ideas and run away with them.

Remember when some fans were so absolutely certain when we saw the Times Square scene in the trailer for ATC that it was going to be a time warp to 1984? And that we might see the original Ghostbusters?

We gotta calm down about these assumptions we jump to. :P
Well said. WAY too many people get worked up when we haven't even seen the movie yet.

The ladder thing should have been enough to calm people down.
devilmanozzy liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 4:59 pm
groschopf wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:07 amIf I'm Dan, and I look at how that entanglement of each person's rights prevented more movies being made, eschewing the deal was the smart thing to do.
I am 100% confident Ghostbusters 3 would've been made before this if that veto arrangement hadn't been in place...for better or worse.
JonXCTrack wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:10 amMurray may have been the reason Ghostbusters 3 wasn't made years ago, but maybe he wasn't being a jerk, and really thought the scripts were terrible.
I simultaneously think that Bill never read a Ghostbusters 3 script before Afterlife, and also feel confident that the sequels pitched in the interim would've been okay at best. The concept for Hellbent is cool, but the jokes that are always cited (like "Luke Siffler") aren't exactly convincing.

I'll also give the potentially controversial opinion that the game strikes me as mediocre in all the ways I would've expected the third movie to be mediocre. The jokes and levels continually call back to the original movies instead of doing something fresh, and so do the mythos in the story (which is why I'm so concerned about seeing that in Afterlife). Bill also gives a pretty over-the-top performance in it, although in this hypothetical alternate universe where there was no deal, I doubt he would've been in it at all.
RichardLess wrote: August 4th, 2021, 11:46 amAnd yes, Aykroyd and Ramis complemented each other wonderfully.

I’ve always resisted the idea that they needed new GBs in the mid-late 1990s to pass the torch to.
If I were to boil down the core issue with Ghostbusters 3 through the '90s and early '00s, it's that what we were getting was almost all Aykroyd and very little Ramis, IMO.

IMO, between the four guys and Ivan, I think that's about the full spectrum of levels of commitment to a Ghostbusters 3. Bill on the negative end, with his feeling that Ghostbusters II wasn't up to snuff and a strong desire to do other things. Harold is warmer, not exactly negative, but simply that the "other things" were the source of his active attention, even if he was easygoing and willing to contribute to Dan's ideas. Ivan was probably right in the middle: actively willing, if the script was right, but arguably the most pragmatic about the obstacles in the way. Then you have Ernie, a working actor who was game for anything, and finally Dan, the full-on cheerleader.

In keeping with that, I feel like Harold was the one who was most consistently bringing up the fact that they needed new blood. Some of that was pragmatism (both artistic and commercial), some of that might've been his own step back from the spotlight, and some of that was his generosity -- I think he probably would've liked shepherding some young actors into a big spotlight, and maybe the opportunity to play comedically with fresh talent was something that would've made him more invested in the project.
RichardLess wrote: August 4th, 2021, 11:46 amOne thing that kind of excites me with us finally getting a 3rd film is hopefully us getting a documentary on the eventual DVD/Blu Ray about the crazy long journey this movie has been thru.
While I would really like that, I'm skeptical it will be on the Afterlife Blu-ray. I can imagine five minutes being devoted to this in an EPK, but really digging into it sounds more like something a fan will have to be passionate about.
RichardLess wrote: August 4th, 2021, 11:46 amI’m just thankful we never got the “Venkman is a ghost” or “Ray and Egon are ghosts” ideas. I HATED that concept. It was too shark jumpy for me.
When Bill said it, I assume that was just a flip joke. I was kind of surprised that they went that route with Alive Again.
JonXCTrack wrote: August 4th, 2021, 12:36 pmI'm wondering what will happen with Ecto-Force should Ghostbusters: Afterlife be successful.
Isn't this dead?
lozbloke wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:01 pm Likewise, what happened to the Etan Cohen script. Did any plot details of that ever surface. I can't remember now lol
Wasn't Alive Again the Etan draft? He might've rewrote Stupnitsky and Eisenberg as well, but Etan is the last writer I remember tackling the project before it became a reboot.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:39 pmI also feel that Jason, Ivan and Dan need to sit down within the next few months and REALLY start planning out the future of the franchise. Does Jason want to do more GB films? I think the idea of Cobrai Kai type series is smart, but that's just my opinion.
To be entirely honest, I don't know what's going to happen after this, but I would be somewhat surprised if Jason remains as more than an executive producer. One of the things that gives me the most hope for the film as a film and not just as a fan of the series is that Jason has an emotional hook, which is exploring his father's legacy. He says in "Pass the Proton Pack" that he was the age his father was when Ivan made Ghostbusters, and I think that made him introspective. I want the franchise to continue for sure, but I also think that Jason will move on to another thing after this, and not stick around to be the steward of Ghostbusters.
BatDan wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:57 pmEvolution was just a (desperate?) attempt to recreating GB..its almost like it was GB3 just filtered out all the IP. That movie wouldve been better had Harold doctored up a draft for Ivan.
I used to feel this was true, but looking at it now, I think the movie is better than that, even if it's only occasionally successful. So much of what makes it seem like Ghostbusters is the marketing, with the symbol the marketing is built around and the ridiculous cartoon. While I have always wanted more Ghostbusters movies and I'm excited for Afterlife and whatever comes next, I think Evolution was a smarter thing to do: apply the broad formula to something new. In an IP-saturated marketplace, the movie ends up feeling refreshing.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:14 pmHence why Gozer is a GREAT choice for a villain. How often do we see the same villain return in a franchise (outside of horror)?
I feel like this happens all the time. I don't think the normies are any more swayed by Gozer than anything else -- I honestly don't think they even recognize Gozer in the trailer. They probably recognize the Terror Dog.
RichardLess wrote: August 5th, 2021, 1:37 pmHas there been an example of a so called “legacy sequel” where the original CAST, WRITERS & DIRECTOR have all been brought back?
Quite a few of them, including some that qualify more than Afterlife.

Key living people from all categories, albeit not in the same roles, ala Afterlife:
  • Blade Runner 2049 (Ridley Scott, Hampton Fancher, Harrison Ford)
  • Creed (Sylvester Stallone, Robert Chartoff, Irwin Winkler)
  • Halloween (2018) (John Carpenter, Jamie Lee Curtis)
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Harrison Ford)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, Hugh Keays-Byrne)
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton)
Meets your criteria better than Afterlife:
  • T2 Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, John Hodge, Andrew MacDonald, the five leads)
Meets most of your criteria:
  • Bill & Ted Face the Music (Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson, Scott Kroopf, Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, William Sadler, several other cast members -- note that all three of the movies have had different directors now)
I think you misunderstood what I was saying about legacy sequels. Or what a legacy sequel is(which I understand to be a sequel that ignores certain parts of continuity from other sequels. Like the latest Halloween movies or Terminator Dark Fate, Prometheus etc) So the context of that was someone saying GB2 might be ignored because so many movies have ignored sequels that bombed critically and financially as of late. E.g. Halloween, Terminator Dark Fate etc. What I was asking/saying is when have they made a legacy sequel that ignored continuity from a film in the franchise that the original cast, crew and director was back for? In other words Terminator Dark Fate ignored all the Terminator films James Cameron & Linda Hamilton had nothing to do with. So none of those movies meets my criteria. If Ghostbusters Afterlife were to take place within a continuity where GB2 never happened, it would be the first movie to ignore a sequel(in this case GB2) all the original writers, actor & directors were back for. Interestingly enough things could have turned out that way If David Puttnam, former head of Columbia for during the mid-late 1980s had his way. Puttnam wanted GB2 to be cheaper to produce so he thought about making GB2 without any of the stars or Reitman. If that had occurred then I could understand fans being unsure if it was canon. Luckily Dawn Steele took over from Puttnam & got the ball rolling

I hope that makes sense. Am I wrong about what a legacy sequel is? I always thought it meant a franchise film that has some of the original talent behind and in front of the camera while ignoring the the less well received sequels in said franchise.

So Blade Runner 2049 wouldn’t count because it’s just a straight up sequel. There was no Blade Runner sequel that was ignored.
Indiana Jones 4, same thing. Not a sequel that ignored the events of the previous films. It’s just a sequel.

Anyways, hope that clears things up.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
I rarely check Facebook nowadays, but this caught my eye on Ghostbusters Dutch Devision Facebook page:

I'm 90% sure it's fake and done for kicks, but I found it interesting Gozer is portrayed as an Zombie.

Would totally love for this to actually happen! Those balls were great!
deadderek liked this
timeware wrote: August 5th, 2020, 1:47 pm Keep telling ya man, never say never. Neither of our opinions are set in stone. Nothing's for certain.
Well a full year later we have our answer. It's theatrical release.
We still have a border crisis with god knows what kind of covid varients are coming across. Almost 200,000 people from around the world a month are coming into the United States and transported to different states largely without being tested.

With the CDC flipping on mask guidelines I don't have the confidence the movies date will hold. I'm still relunctant to just say the dates going to hold a hundred percent.

If California shut's down who's to say a theatrical release along side streaming isn't out of the realm of possiblity still? I'm not changing my mind on this until were in the theatre with our Ghostbuster popcorn buckets.
RichardLess wrote: August 6th, 2021, 12:57 amAm I wrong about what a legacy sequel is? I always thought it meant a franchise film that has some of the original talent behind and in front of the camera while ignoring the the less well received sequels in said franchise.
Ignoring entries is not a criteria of "legacy sequels." It's mostly just a term for a certain tone of modern sequels, largely ones with a long gap between the new entry and the previous one, which tend to play into the fact that so much time has passed in-universe, with the events of said original movie or movies being elevated in importance during the intervening years (even if that only matters to the characters involved, like T2 Trainspotting). Basically, if you could reasonably give the movie the subtitle "Legacy," then that's the kind of sequel we're talking about.
BatDan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:47 pm also, i remember seeing this wikipedia synopsis like a year or so ago (i snapshotted it in DEC 2019) and it was erased almost immediately that week...(now i know wiki is nothing to go off obviously and things get changed all the time) however...the way it was taken down and replaced with something more generic was peculiar..
I used to edit Wikipedia but gave up because some of the people overseeing the pages were real stickers for their rules. I can see that section being erased quickly because it was viewed as unverified at that point in time.
timeware wrote: August 6th, 2021, 1:48 amIf California shut's down who's to say a theatrical release along side streaming isn't out of the realm of possiblity still?
I think Sony's made it categorically clear there won't be a dual streaming/cinematic release. They delayed it once rather than go the streaming route, I don't see them as being hesitant to do it again if they think another shutdown is possible.
deadderek liked this
I think Sony's made it categorically clear there won't be a dual streaming/cinematic release. They delayed it once rather than go the streaming route, I don't see them as being hesitant to do it again if they think another shutdown is possible
If there is another delay I only see it being by a month or two which will still suck. I want to be wrong on this I really do. If they have to delay again I don't see how they can't avoid a dual release. Afterlife has already been hurt by delaying the release. We lost the twinkies and they risk more advertisers pulling away with another delay.
Can you blame me for not thinking Ghostbusters won't get delayed again? Things are constantly changing during this pandemic. We all want Sony to be right that we'll have a theatrical release come November, hell i'd love it if the trailer keeps trending and we get afterlife a few weeks earlier.

It would be hella fun to dress up in costume on Halloween to see this thing.
Davideverona wrote: August 6th, 2021, 4:46 am I really hope they'll release the score.
I'd be genuinely surprised if they don't. To date, all of the movie so-far have had, or will have a musical score release. Given the potential for further income... And also given Sony is clearly taking advantage of merchandising for Afterlife, it feels a sure thing that we'll be adding Rob Simonsen's score to our respective collections. :)
deadderek, robbritton liked this

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]