Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
SpaceBallz wrote: October 12th, 2020, 3:43 pm I think they're scoring a new trailer, the film has been in the can for awhile and that's not a full orchestra.
Do they usually do scoring sessions for trailers?

Also, has he posted anything that stated the film was 100% completed? My guess is that while the film has potentially been edited for awhile, they've been taking their time. Why crunch for a release date that's (currently) still five and a half months out?
I was thinking today, even if it gets delayed until 2022, at least the movie is already made...Its not like the film was being shot and something happened. We will get to see it eventually.
Sav C liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: October 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm Also, has he posted anything that stated the film was 100% completed? My guess is that while the film has potentially been edited for awhile, they've been taking their time. Why crunch for a release date that's (currently) still five and a half months out?
Last I remember was on August 16 at the Sony Pictures screening of GB1, he said, "It is a thrill to be in the midst of finishing the latest Ghostbusters film which is going to come out next year."
pizzarat, deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 12th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Alphagaia wrote: October 12th, 2020, 2:47 pm What's that M and S doing on screen?
It's a watermark, the contrast is such and the image so small that the rest of the word has been rendered nearly invisible. Unfinished footage will often have a watermark, firstly to make it unusable if leaked, and also potentially to identify the source of the leak.
Yeah, kinda figured it would be something like thatut thx for the clarification anyways! I was just wondering which word they used.
droidguy1119 wrote: October 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: October 12th, 2020, 3:43 pm I think they're scoring a new trailer, the film has been in the can for awhile and that's not a full orchestra.
Do they usually do scoring sessions for trailers?

Also, has he posted anything that stated the film was 100% completed? My guess is that while the film has potentially been edited for awhile, they've been taking their time. Why crunch for a release date that's (currently) still five and a half months out?
It is *extremely* rare for movie trailers to be scored like this. It does happen though. Off the top of my head the only trailer that immediately comes to mind is from almost 20 years ago. The very first Harry Potter trailer, which saw the debut of what was originally known as “Hedwig’s Theme” but became the identity for the franchise as a whole. But I doubt that’s what’s happening here.

Most likely I think that’s just a socially distanced scoring stage. Composing in small pieces intermittently and then mixing it together. Ludwig Goransson talked about scoring the 2nd season of The Mandalorian like this due to Covid.
deadderek, Dr.D, Corey91 and 3 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: October 12th, 2020, 6:27 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: October 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm Also, has he posted anything that stated the film was 100% completed? My guess is that while the film has potentially been edited for awhile, they've been taking their time. Why crunch for a release date that's (currently) still five and a half months out?
Last I remember was on August 16 at the Sony Pictures screening of GB1, he said, "It is a thrill to be in the midst of finishing the latest Ghostbusters film which is going to come out next year."
What I would guess we'll see is maybe another Instagram post where he posts a photo of the title screen or his director credit and actually says "Finished." or something to that effect. More inclined to agree with Richard that this is just a reduced orchestra due to COVID and they're still finishing post.

I know there's seemingly something in between the M and the S on the screen but "mixing and scoring' comes to mind.
groschopf, deadderek liked this
It was just a guess after looking at the photo, and it seemed like they scored the first trailer because you can hear some of Gozer's theme in the scene where Rudd is showing the kids the tv footage, but it wasn't a direct rip from the GB1 score so it had to be new stuff.
Davideverona, groschopf liked this
Ten months since the first trailer and I still have the goosebumps at the "call it fate" line.

Also, I really dig the "Everything happens for a reason" tagline. A nice throwback at the first iconic movie and a fitting subtle nod to what will happen in this new chapter.

Would it have worked so well with: "It's always the quiet ones"?
kahuna900, SpaceBallz, Wafflerobot and 1 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:46 pm We're witnessing a revolution in the entertainment industry.
While I agree, I also see it as the death of the blockbuster.

Not entirely sure if I mind.
One could argue that for too long studios were over reliant on special effects and did not put enough thought into story and character development. Perhaps forcing studios to spend less to make a movie will require them to focus on the story and character development as they won't be able to mask a bad script with explosions and other movie magic.
Alphagaia, groschopf, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this
It's fun to dream.

Studios ain't learning a damn thing. All of these moves are being done out of sheer desperation. For far too long old dudes have sat atop these corporate owned studios trying to figure out what their market research tells them will make money and what won't piss of the Chinese market. If this sounds jaded, maybe it is. But we've all seen the writing on the wall for a long time. I feel bad for the small mom and pop theaters that will not be able to weather this storm.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

As Droidguy mentioned Paramount has sold the Coming to America sequel to Amazon...

...for 125 million dollars.

I may end up having to eat crow on my “Ghostbusters Afterlife won’t go to streaming” prediction. I’m sure many studios are foaming at the mouth at that price tag. Granted “Coming to America” isn’t exactly Ghostbusters level of IP...but wow. 125 million. According to Deadline.

I just don’t know anymore. What an odd time we are in.
Wafflerobot, SpaceBallz liked this
They're panicking because a lot of these studios can't sit on their finished films anymore. They have no product to put out on the marketplace and even if they did there's not enough of an audience to actually go out and see it.

For the first time since all of this began, I do believe there is a world where GB:A is released onto streaming.
What will really help clarify what Coming 2 America does or doesn't mean for the possibility of Ghostbusters: Afterlife going to streaming will be word on whether Paramount sold any kind of IP (if Coming to America is considered an IP -- I definitely don't think Amazon owns the original now), sequel rights, and/or home video rights.
Last edited by tylergfoster on October 13th, 2020, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: October 13th, 2020, 2:13 pm
One could argue that for too long studios were over reliant on special effects and did not put enough thought into story and character development. Perhaps forcing studios to spend less to make a movie will require them to focus on the story and character development as they won't be able to mask a bad script with explosions and other movie magic.
THIS
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
Davideverona wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:06 pm ALSO, Coming to America 2 was eyeing a streaming release before the covid situation.
Coming 2 America was first rumored for streaming in August, but I don't have any awareness that it was rumored for streaming in January/February/March.

As far as I know, this was the first time there were rumors that it would go to streaming: https://twitter.com/zeitchikWaPo/status ... 6665951234
This movie REALLY has a lot of heart and soul put into it, and it shows.
RedSpecial, Wafflerobot liked this
deadderek wrote:This movie REALLY has a lot of heart and soul put into it, and it shows.
Yeah I know that this new news may seem simple, but it really hit me in the feels. This is a true LEGACY film. In the most literal and truest sense. I really believe that when this film comes out it is going to be something special. :):):)
deadderek, Prime 1986, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this
GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]

I'm not familiar with this one (is it a model?) […]

Also somewhat related question...I don't see giz[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]