Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Trying not to rush to judgement but...this makes no sense at all and feels like it could be really forced. How convenient that there just happened to already be a song called Ghostbusters...I'm not sold. I know they want to do a whole thing with connecting the kids to the older generation but that just seems like a gag they really wanted to do without thinking about how it makes zero logical sense.
Glenn Frederick, Kingpin, Timo and 2 others liked this
Dr.D wrote:Trying not to rush to judgement but...this makes no sense at all and feels like it could be really forced. How convenient that there just happened to already be a song called Ghostbusters...I'm not sold. I know they want to do a whole thing with connecting the kids to the older generation but that just seems like a gag they really wanted to do without thinking about how it makes zero logical sense.
I agree. I don't really like this idea at all.
Well! That new info about the theme song is really cool, in my opinion. A few months back I wrote that it would be humorous if the kids found the boombox and cassette tape from GBII and *that's* how the theme song shows up, but this is even better. It's definitely an acknowledgement of Harold Ramis' generation of music, and it re-establishes from the first sequel that the song exists in the movie universe (I love that!).

At first I was trying to understand the "cover" angle too, but I think it makes sense in this way. Unless they do go the music/lyrics route, it's very possible that the 60s version is just an instrumental, and RPJ added the lyrics in the 80s because it was one of Egon's favorite songs.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
I think we are missing an angle here. If this is true the thing that makes sense is if the beat from whatever the song was in the 60's was sampled by Ray Parker Jr. for his version of the song. So beat/instrumentals preexisted and he added his words and spin to the track. But who knows....
I really don't like the Idea of the song having a backstory. Kinda like the Ghost Logo being given a backstory in ATC, it's completely pointless to the plot and serves no purpose being mentioned.

Unless Ray Parker Jr is in Ghostbusters Afterlife and this is a plot device to incorporate him in the film, I really don't want a scene telling me in Universe "how the song was created?" or "Who designed the Logo?".
I'm sure they'll have some kind of quick explanation that's part of a throw away gag.

I was confused when the theme showed up IN GB2 honestly.
Glenn Frederick wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:09 am I really don't like the Idea of the song having a backstory. Kinda like the Ghost Logo being given a backstory in ATC, it's completely pointless to the plot and serves no purpose being mentioned.

Unless Ray Parker Jr is in Ghostbusters Afterlife and this is a plot device to incorporate him in the film, I really don't want a scene telling me in Universe "how the song was created?" or "Who designed the Logo?".
Relax it will probably be a minute long scene and song on the sound track.
yankeetrex wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:37 am I think we are missing an angle here. If this is true the thing that makes sense is if the beat from whatever the song was in the 60's was sampled by Ray Parker Jr. for his version of the song. So beat/instrumentals preexisted and he added his words and spin to the track. But who knows....
Maybe in universe Huey Lewis and The News existed in the 60s....
Wafflerobot liked this
Also, the logo backstory in ATC cumulated into Rowan turning it into evil, just as he had done with their science drawn from their book, so it had a reason for being set up.

I'm quite curious how meta that number will be, though. Huey lewis comes to mind, but it might also be a original score with different words.
Bison256 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:45 am
Glenn Frederick wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:09 am I really don't like the Idea of the song having a backstory. Kinda like the Ghost Logo being given a backstory in ATC, it's completely pointless to the plot and serves no purpose being mentioned.

Relax it will probably be a minute long scene and song on the sound track.
That's why I don't like the idea, it sounds too gimmicky and unnecessary. Of course that isn't going to be a factor in how I like the song when we finally hear it . If the new song is good then I Guarantee you it will be on my playlist.
Kingpin liked this
Alphagaia wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:44 pm Also, the logo backstory in ATC cumulated into Rowan turning it into evil, just as he had done with their science drawn from their book, so it had a reason for being set up.

I'm quite curious how meta that number will be, though. Huey lewis comes to mind, but it might also be a original score with different words.
As I got home today I just realized Kevin's "artwork" for their possible Logo was setting it up for how they eventually would get the Logo. I think story wise the origin could've had Patty designed it but that's definitely for a different topic for a different discussion.

I am wondering now if this is the same music as Ray Parker Jr's Ghostbusters, could it be a jab at Huey Lewis since that beat is similar to a lot of songs released prior to "I Want a new Drug"?
"Pop Muzik" by M is a good example and I also recall someone saying The Jackson 5 had a song with a similar beat. There must to be more to this then Jason just wanting a "Oldie" Version of the theme in the film?
Kingpin liked this
I hope people aren't too disappointed about the theme song, because there could be very likely be other similar jokes/segments that give us new insight into the OGBs. For instance, the throw-away line about "spores, molds and fungus" has become a real thing that we see in the underground HQ.
I could see it being funny if done right...like what if the song just has the same melody and beat but has NOTHING to do with Ghostbusters. Like...someone puts on a 45 and it starts playing and we think it's gonna be the theme but the lyrics end up being totally different.

I dunno could work...
pizzarat, mrmichaelt liked this
Dr.D wrote: February 26th, 2021, 4:51 pm I could see it being funny if done right...like what if the song just has the same melody and beat but has NOTHING to do with Ghostbusters. Like...someone puts on a 45 and it starts playing and we think it's gonna be the theme but the lyrics end up being totally different.

I dunno could work...
I'm leaning toward toward an instrumental version as being the most effective. I wonder what other relics they'll find...
mrmichaelt liked this
One of the few ways I see it working is either as others have said, it's instrumental, or it has some lyrics which are similar to the final song.

I'm not keen on it, as I don't think the song needs an origin, especially given the real-world infringement issue surrounding the actual song.

I hope the execution isn't confusing or cheesy, but we'll have to see.
Glenn Frederick, robbritton, Dr.D and 1 others liked this

Janine designed the logo, it's in the movie novelization, so we already have that back story.
I love backstories actually.
Glenn Frederick liked this
janeb984 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:19 pm

Janine designed the logo, it's in the movie novelization, so we already have that back story.
I love backstories actually.
The backstories are going to be especially important to the younger audiences who may not have even seen the first movie yet. I'm sure Jason has crafted these in a such a way that will keep new audiences entertained and also give long-time fans some juicy tidbits to digest.
Glenn Frederick liked this
pizzarat wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:15 am Well! That new info about the theme song is really cool, in my opinion. A few months back I wrote that it would be humorous if the kids found the boombox and cassette tape from GBII and *that's* how the theme song shows up, but this is even better. It's definitely an acknowledgement of Harold Ramis' generation of music, and it re-establishes from the first sequel that the song exists in the movie universe (I love that!).

At first I was trying to understand the "cover" angle too, but I think it makes sense in this way. Unless they do go the music/lyrics route, it's very possible that the 60s version is just an instrumental, and RPJ added the lyrics in the 80s because it was one of Egon's favorite songs.
Kingpin wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:17 pm One of the few ways I see it working is either as others have said, it's instrumental, or it has some lyrics which are similar to the final song.

I'm not keen on it, as I don't think the song needs an origin, especially given the real-world infringement issue surrounding the actual song.

I hope the execution isn't confusing or cheesy, but we'll have to see.
I'm leaning to it being a jazz instrumental version. Something similar to when Rowan played the tune on the piano before throwing it at the Ghostbusters inside the Mercado. In-universe, Ray Parker, Jr. sampled the jazz instrumental for his Ghostbusters song.

We know already that Ray Parker Jr. said no one reached out to him about using the song in the movie so it didn't seem likely it would be in. That interview was in late 2020 whereas this Menahan band said they worked on their take in early 2020. Unless Ray was doing a legally obligated fib... wait, though even if it's an instrumental wouldn't he still have had to give his okay or is that a legal loophole that if the lyrics aren't used they don't need his approval/have to pay him?
pizzarat liked this
I don't remember the source, but I seem to remember RPJ confirming that he was contacted about using the song in the new movie. Maybe he was just referring to the actual music/lyrics though. I could see the 1984 version making a comeback at the very end when the torch is officially passed to the new team.
pizzarat wrote:I don't remember the source, but I seem to remember RPJ confirming that he was contacted about using the song in the new movie. Maybe he was just referring to the actual music/lyrics though. I could see the 1984 version making a comeback at the very end when the torch is officially passed to the new team.
I'm not sure if the interview I was alluding to was the one you're thinking of pizzarat, but on September 18, 2020 with / Film, Ray Parker, Jr. said:
https://www.slashfilm.com/who-you-gonna ... interview/
You’re credited as co-writing the theme song that Run DMC did for Ghostbusters 2, so how involved were you with the creation of that theme?

They wrote the rap. They just licensed the original theme. And that’s another example of a song that didn’t really take off. People wanted the original song. So let’s hope one day in the future – I don’t think it’ll be in the upcoming film because as far as licensing, I don’t think they have the original song in that film.

So they haven’t reached out to you to do anything for Ghostbusters: Afterlife?

No. Maybe in one of the films after that. But I’ll probably be too old to sing it then if they keep fooling around. Maybe I can be the ghost if they wait any longer.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: February 26th, 2021, 10:33 pm
pizzarat wrote:I don't remember the source, but I seem to remember RPJ confirming that he was contacted about using the song in the new movie. Maybe he was just referring to the actual music/lyrics though. I could see the 1984 version making a comeback at the very end when the torch is officially passed to the new team.
I'm not sure if the interview I was alluding to was the one you're thinking of pizzarat, but on September 18, 2020 with / Film, Ray Parker, Jr. said:
https://www.slashfilm.com/who-you-gonna ... interview/
You’re credited as co-writing the theme song that Run DMC did for Ghostbusters 2, so how involved were you with the creation of that theme?

They wrote the rap. They just licensed the original theme. And that’s another example of a song that didn’t really take off. People wanted the original song. So let’s hope one day in the future – I don’t think it’ll be in the upcoming film because as far as licensing, I don’t think they have the original song in that film.

So they haven’t reached out to you to do anything for Ghostbusters: Afterlife?

No. Maybe in one of the films after that. But I’ll probably be too old to sing it then if they keep fooling around. Maybe I can be the ghost if they wait any longer.
Hmm. I don't think it was that one. I don't remember reading this one, but I'm not surprised they didn't ask him to do anything new for the movie.
I feel like this is basically assumed knowledge at this point, but:
I was able to be apart of the most recent reviews of the Afterlife merchandise. And a detail that stood out to both myself and my fellow Ghosthead, was something Jason Reitman has apparently commented on...
The new Hasbro Pulse Ecto-1 includes the R/C Trap that was leaked in the TMZ footage/images. But that's not all, it also includes a few other details! Image
Oh! Oh my, does that mean the canon name for the new R/C trap is... Dun dun daaaaaaa! The Remote Trap Vehicle?!
Another thought on the 60s gb theme: maybe it's in the background of a flashback of the guys when they were in high school or college, like not actually on a radio but just playing over the scene of them meeting for the first time.

EDIT: nevermind, just re-read the details of the scene.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]