Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
No spoilers only speculation.

I don’t know if this has been discussed before.

I feel that we will get links to the the previous films with the new afterlife movie.
Here’s my opinion only, none of this is based on fact / inside information. I think ecto-1a will show up with Peter’s, Ray’s, Winston’s characters. To provide a link to ghostbusters 2 and offer assistance to the kids.

After the torch is passed, At the end of the afterlife movie we’ll see the ghostbusters 2016 ecto-1 fall out of the sky or materialize somewhere in the afterlife universe. Because it went to the other side (not New Jersey) this would help To set up a sequel. The 2016 movie would be a parallel dimension and gozer could be trying to gain access there as well. Although others may disagree, I think these would be cool ways to link all four movies together.

Agree or disagree? Let me know why.
Alphagaia liked this
I strongly agree but only if happens this way:

It’s the 3rd act climax, multiple dimensional rifts/portals are opening all over town. Strange things are dropping out of the sky. The GBA crew are riding in the Wrecto along a country road talking amongst themselves about all the portals & chaos happening around the city, when, off in the distance they see the GB16 Ecto 1 drop from the sky towards an empty field. When it hits the ground it explodes into a massive fireball killing everyone inside it(including Chris Hemsworth). A dog approaches the flaming wreckage and lifts its leg to relieve himself on the charred remains. The Wrecto and the GBA crew all stare in silence out their window and slowly drive past the horrible scene. A beat. No one says a thing. And....they just continue their previous conversation and drive away as if nothing happened.

Think of it like the “Louis gets possessed” scene in GB1 where Louis is begging for help and all the people inside the restaurant ignore him. It has that sort of vibe to it except much darker. I think it would be hilarious. A bit mean...but hilarious.
Davideverona liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:39 pm I strongly agree but only if happens this way:

It’s the 3rd act climax, multiple dimensional rifts/portals are opening all over town. Strange things are dropping out of the sky. The GBA crew are riding in the Wrecto along a country road talking amongst themselves about all the portals & chaos happening around the city, when, off in the distance they see the GB16 Ecto 1 drop from the sky towards an empty field. When it hits the ground it explodes into a massive fireball killing everyone inside it(including Chris Hemsworth). A dog approaches the flaming wreckage and lifts its leg to relieve himself on the charred remains. The Wrecto and the GBA crew all stare in silence out their window and slowly drive past the horrible scene. A beat. No one says a thing. And....they just continue their previous conversation and drive away as if nothing happened.

Think of it like the “Louis gets possessed” scene in GB1 where Louis is begging for help and all the people inside the restaurant ignore him. It has that sort of vibe to it except much darker. I think it would be hilarious. A bit mean...but hilarious.
Then the remains are sucked back into the portal leaving no trace behind.
I always envisioned a scene with Winston and Ray exiting a movie theater. On the marquee it says "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call."

Ray starts complaining. "They got it all wrong Z! You can't destroy ghosts, you can only contain them! And that villain? We defeated a giant marshmallow man! And that was the best they could do? I wish we never licensed our logo. Now we're associated with this film forever!"

Winston sighs. "Let it go, Ray. It's just a movie."
guitar1036, Codaplex liked this
Alphagaia wrote:As said before, I think the comic already did the best way to link ATC (and RGB, XGB, ETC) with the prime world.

The leaks about the series seems to go that route, starting with ATC, so I'm looking forward how they will handle that!
That pretty much sums it up to a T. ;). I don't think we will see any linking or crossover in any live action films. Personally I think Melissa Mcarthy and Kristen Wigg have better things to do than reprise those roles. They just seem like they have very busy careers, of course they love working with Paul so never say never. ;)

If the world of ATC actually gets revisited in another live action film I will be very suprised, but lord knows what kind of ideas are being kicked around at Ghost Corps. :):):)
Alphagaia liked this
Hi thanks guys, I’ll have to pick up the comic book to see how they linked them together. Anyways just sharing a thought on some possible ways to link the four movies together. We’ll have to wait and see if anything like that happens.

I doubt the lady ghostbusters would want to reprise their roles based on how much backlash the received, but hey who knows.
As someone who likes and enjoys ATC, I'd like for it to remain in it's own distinct canon.

The worst thing Afterlife could do is try to bridge universes at the end. Eg. if it features an end credit sequence with one of the characters on a radio to Patti talking about Zuul I will be bitterly disappointed.
PaulDx508, Creativeguy, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:As someone who likes and enjoys ATC, I'd like for it to remain in it's own distinct canon.

The worst thing Afterlife could do is try to bridge universes at the end. Eg. if it features an end credit sequence with one of the characters on a radio to Patti talking about Zuul I will be bitterly disappointed.
If they were going to officially bridge universes, they should have done it in ATC. The post credits scene with Patty asking what Zuul is should have been removed and replaced with a scene like this:

INT. FIREHOUSE - DAY

Holtzman has various schematics and forumlas on a whiteboard behind her. Abby, Patty, and Erin are seated at a table watching her. Holtzman is very animated.

Holtzman: So after reviewing our readings from our battle with Rowan and calculating the ionization rates, it's obvious that ectoplasmic disbursement is unattainable, at least with this technology. I know we set out to catch a ghost to prove that our business wasn't fraudulent, but it seems that we'll need to lower our power output on our proton packs when battling ethereal entities so that we don't blow them apart, and catch them with the trap instead.

Abby: Okay, but where do we keep the ghosts after we catch them?

Holtzman: That's what I wanted to show you.

Holtzman moves the white board to the side revealing a large metallic loop with wires and cables leading to a control panel stationed nearby. She hands everyone some goggles.

Holtzman: Here, put these on. The pulsed UV and Gamma generated by this device could damage your retinas over time without some added protection.

Patty: Oh, great, another dangerous piece of equipment. Just what we need!

Holtzman pulls a lever, flicks some switches and types in a passcode. The metallic ring starts starts to become engulfed in blue electricity. A large flash of white light emits from the center of the loop.

Erin: So what does this do?

Holtzman: This is a portal to an alternative dimension! Once we catch ghosts, we toss the trap through the portal, dump the ghost out, and close the portal. Problem solved.

Abby: Maybe for us, but I think these guys might feel differently about it.

The camera turns back to the portal. In place of the white light is the interior of the firehouse, but it's set up differently than the one occupied by Patty, Abby, Erin, and Holtzman. The Ecto-1 from the 1984 ghostbusters film is there. In front of it is PETER VENKMAN, WINSTON ZEDDEMORE, and RAY STANTZ.

Zeddemore: Yeah, don't even think about it.
darthbuster, Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
darthbuster wrote: August 24th, 2020, 7:57 pm No spoilers only speculation.

I don’t know if this has been discussed before.

I feel that we will get links to the the previous films with the new afterlife movie.
Here’s my opinion only, none of this is based on fact / inside information. I think ecto-1a will show up with Peter’s, Ray’s, Winston’s characters. To provide a link to ghostbusters 2 and offer assistance to the kids.

After the torch is passed, At the end of the afterlife movie we’ll see the ghostbusters 2016 ecto-1 fall out of the sky or materialize somewhere in the afterlife universe. Because it went to the other side (not New Jersey) this would help To set up a sequel. The 2016 movie would be a parallel dimension and gozer could be trying to gain access there as well. Although others may disagree, I think these would be cool ways to link all four movies together.

Agree or disagree? Let me know why.
Disagree. Leave it as it's own entity, seperate from the originals.
jonogunn wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:53 pm I'm on board for a crossover. Though GB 2016 was not the GB movie I wanted I still enjoyed it and I love the cast. I'd be fine with a crossover so long as it has a tight script.
No let that mess fade into obscurity like other failed reboots.
Bison256 wrote:
jonogunn wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:53 pm I'm on board for a crossover. Though GB 2016 was not the GB movie I wanted I still enjoyed it and I love the cast. I'd be fine with a crossover so long as it has a tight script.
No let that mess fade into obscurity like other failed reboots.
I concur :sigh:
Creativeguy wrote: October 18th, 2020, 12:27 pm I politely disagree. This film should have no connection to Answer the Call.
Yeah I agree. This movie should stick with the original continuity. Trying to tie Afterlife with ATC would just make things overly complicated. It has been said before, but the IDW comics have already tied not only the Classic films with ATC, but have tied all aspects of the franchise together. :):):)
Keep them separate.
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
Back when Ghostbusters (2016) was coming out in theaters, I hated the idea of linking the canons, and my opinion hasn't changed. I don't even like that they did it in the comic book. The whole point of creating a new canon was so that the characters in the 2016 movie didn't have to be following in the footsteps of the original characters, and on some level I feel like linking the canons still undoes that, because it inevitably reiterates that the original characters were "first" even in-universe. As a fan of the movie, I hope the alternate canon is treated with the same level of respect as the original canon, but I still think they should stay their own things.
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]