Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By dantonvfx
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 2:33 pm
dantonvfx wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Thanks so much!!!

So you opened the Wand and added a mini jack or an Aux output and conected it to a mixer/speaker right? That brings me another question, What Speakers are you using for the proton pack? Are the same for the Wand? or you have diferent ones? What mixer do you use?

About the nanopixel Ring, with your setup, would it be possibel to connect 3 diferent rings at the same time but with offsets? So they have a diferent sequence and can give that extra layer of depth instead of only one ring light?

Thanks so much again!
For the audio hack I followed this video, but only did the audio hack not the rest.

It goes to a Little bear MC5 Mixer, then to a pyle 60 watt amp and to a 4 inch speaker. The GBfans speaker sold in the shop is great. I use the mixer to mix 3 signals, the Adafruit fx board with the pulsecon activation audio, the neutrona wand audio and a bluetooth dongle to send the music from my phone.

Its definetly possible to add more layers, just remember that neopixels are conected in series, if you put pixels in parallel they will do the same effect as the others. So if you want different sequences they have to be daisy chained.
Awesome! Its what I was planning to do witht he Wand too. So do you think its really necesary the pyle 60 watt amp step? Have you noticed the diference with and without? Would not be possible a better build speaker maybe and conect it directly to the Mixer? I'm just guessing, I don't know anything about Speakers or amps tbh

To be honest your setup is FANTASTIC, I already bought some stuff on amazon, just struggling wiht the neopixel Ring Sizing and options right now.

A question that comes ot my mind too is... would it be possibel to interconect gbfans light board, or ghostlab lightboard with the ardafruit sound board, without having the light setup coming form arduino?

Also for the Bluetooth dongle you mean something like this right?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01EFP ... GF3B&psc=1

Also about the coding, is there any Basic tutorial about arduino that you would reocmmend? What software do you use?

About Speakes, again, I don;t know much about it, but what other options do w ehave apart of the GBFans ones? I don;t want to wait until march tog et my steup done...

Does somehting like this works? What other alternatives do w ehave?

https://www.amazon.ca/Pyle-PLG4-2-4-Inc ... 550&sr=8-7

Also, this might sound stupid... but what cables do you recomend to wire the arduino/ardafruit stuff? Do you need a welder also?
By jonogunn
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 3:18 pm
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 2:56 pm I haven’t hacked my Spengler wand yet but what I have is same as that video. Leeds from wand to amp. Amp to speaker and blue brick battery.

Am I able to connect the adafruit to the same amp/speakers?

Honestly no connection other than sound from the wand to the pack works out just fine for an Afterlife style pack IMO.
Thats where the mixer comes in, the little bear mc5 is a passive mixer so expect a signal drop in volume, but it works well, it has 4 inputs and 1 output. The output goes to the amp.
Pardon my noobness and possibility stating the obvious. So the wand inputs to the mixer, the adafruit inputs to mixer, then mixer outputs to amp which outputs to speakers?
Gucabe liked this
By gerv
I think they missed a trick in the movie by not having it spin slower at idle, then have a visual of them going super fast when the streams were crossed, a silhouetted image from behind with 3 cyclotrons going mental would have made a nice visual and it helps to sell just how much power is flying through the packs.
Gucabe liked this
By Gucabe
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:11 pm
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Thats where the mixer comes in, the little bear mc5 is a passive mixer so expect a signal drop in volume, but it works well, it has 4 inputs and 1 output. The output goes to the amp.
Pardon my noobness and possibility stating the obvious. So the wand inputs to the mixer, the adafruit inputs to mixer, then mixer outputs to amp which outputs to speakers?
Correct 👏🏻
jonogunn liked this
By jonogunn
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:09 pm
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Correct 👏🏻
Do you have a link to the neopixel ring you used?

Given I’m a complete noob. If I do attempt Thai I feel I must mirror everything you did exactly to avoid issues.

Also did you by any chance use to tinkercad when you programmed it? And if so are you able to share the diagram you used in it? Or the complete tinkercad file if it’s possible
By dantonvfx
I'm interested to know what Ring did you use haha, It's hard to tell wich one to pick up. I know mine will need to be smaller (Spirit Pack) but it woudl help to know brand/size you used.

Also, about Speakers, anythign we need to know about? GBFans takes too long to be shipped so I'm looking for alternatives.

What the buddy said about Batteries is somehting that I'm interested too. Arduino and ardafruti are running on 5V batteries right? Is there any way to provide 12V battery? How are you suplying energy, with a 5V batteries you have tor eplace? Or there are 5V rechargable batteries out too? How long the Batteries last?

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!

Cheers!!
By Gucabe
I personally used a strip and then just cut the excess, works the same way since this strip has the leds on the side.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3634

But I did buy a ring that wont get to me till next week... I am planning on replacing it so its much more sturdy than the strip. But TBH the strip works well

The ring I bouth is this one: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32960243 ... 63c06CSw4s
the 45 led verison.
jonogunn liked this
By dantonvfx
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

So I'm gonna try to recap all form the previous posts here, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything or I am missing anything:

Part list for SOUND:
1 - Breadboard
1 - Breadboarding wires
1 - 16MB Adafruit fx board
1- Battery 5V how many mah? (Other options? what about 12V?) (SHARED BETWEEN SOUND AND LIGHT)
1 - AUX Jack 3.5mm both sides Male cable
1 - AUX Jack 3.5mm Male cable to L and R Divider Male output
1 - Little bear MC5 Mixer
1 - Pyle 60 watt amp
2 - 4inch speakers (Examples apart of GBFans or this one I'm linking that I'm not even sure it would work?)
1 - 22AWG cable for speakers
1 - Bluetooth Dongle reciever

Part list for LIGHTS:
2 - Arduino pro mini, UNO or similar
1 - FTDI (to get usb conectivity on mini Pro)
2 - Breadboards
1 - Breadboarding wires
2 - 1x8 neopixel stick
1 - Neopixel ring at least 30 pixels or a neopixel strip
1- Battery 5V how many mah? (Other options? what about 12V?) (SHARED BETWEEN SOUND AND LIGHT)

Part list for WAND:
2 - AUX Jack 3.5mm Female Plug

GRAPHIC:

QUESTIONS or not CLEAR steps:

-How to connect the Bear MC5 Mixer Jack 3.5mm only Output to the Pyle Amp 2 inputs (L and R). Is there any specific cable we need?
-What Speaker options do we have apart of GBFans?
-What Type of Batteries do we need? RIght now we have one 5V for the lights and audio, and a separate 12V for the Amp. Is there a way to run all together from a 12V amp so we don't need to turn on 2 diferent switches/batteries?
By Gucabe

dantonvfx wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 3:50 pm So I'm gonna try to recap all form the previous posts here, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything or I am missing anything:

Part list for SOUND:
1 - Breadboard
1 - Breadboarding wires
1 - 16MB Adafruit fx board
1 - AUX Jack 3.5mm Male cable to L and R Divider Male output
1 - Little bear MC5 Mixer
1 - Pyle 60 watt amp
2 - 4inch speakers (Examples apart of GBFans or this one I'm linking that I'm not even sure it would work?)
1 - Bluetooth Dongle reciever

Part list for LIGHTS:
2 - Arduino pro mini, UNO or similar
1 - FTDI (to get usb conectivity on mini Pro)
2 - Breadboards
1 - Breadboarding wires
2 - 1x8 neopixel stick
1 - Neopixel ring at least 30 pixels or a neopixel strip

Part list for WAND:
2 - AUX Jack 3.5mm Female Plug

GRAPHIC:

QUESTIONS or not CLEAR steps:

-How to connect the Bear MC5 Mixer Jack 3.5mm only Output to the Pyle Amp 2 inputs (L and R). Is there any specific cable we need?
-What Speaker options do we have apart of GBFans?
-What Type of Batteries do we need? RIght now we have one 5V for the lights and audio, and a separate 12V for the Amp. Is there a way to run all together from a 12V amp so we don't need to turn on 2 diferent switches/batteries?
I didnt really use a breadboard, prety much soldered directly, but you can certainly use them.
For the power supply I am using this: https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Recha ... 892&sr=8-1

it is great cause it has the plug for the pyle amp from the 12v output and a USB that you can use to extract the 5v needed for the arduinos and neopixels.

for the pyle amp there is a front mp3 input that you can just plug the stereo cable, or you can get a stereo to RCA cable and connect to the RCA plugs on the back. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Home-Mini-A ... 074&sr=8-4

Speakerwise, you can get 1 or 2 of these: https://gbfans.com/shop/pack-parts/40w- ... d-speaker/
By rolandblais
jonogunn wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 7:23 am Regarding your idea to have the option of ‘84 vs ‘21 lights I don’t know much about neopixel but couldn’t you just activate 4 specific lights on the ring instead of installing a new set? Or does it always have to light up in sequence?
With the neopixel, the leds are addressable, meaning you can light whichever leds you wish on the ring.

This thread spurred me to jump back in and try my hand at creating my own setup. Tinkercad.com and wokwi.com are two places that have arduino simulators if you want to fool around with them and some of the neopixel components before you buy.
By Gucabe
jonogunn wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 7:23 am Regarding your idea to have the option of ‘84 vs ‘21 lights I don’t know much about neopixel but couldn’t you just activate 4 specific lights on the ring instead of installing a new set? Or does it always have to light up in sequence?
The version i proposed requires more parts but less code. its prety much cheating cause both the ring and the 4 cyclotron pixels would be getting their code but only one will get power at a time. Its lazy i know... but makes life easier when coding.

The code to interrupt one sequence and select the other is the tricky part. Most neopixel sequences are perfomed via subroutines and they wont stop until that sub is completed. This is where interrupts come in to play, but still tricky to execute. I did try, but just didnt like that in some ocasions the swich did not interrupt the sequence to jump on to the other subroutine.

If somebody wants a crack at it here it is:

//------Gusbuster 1984/2021------
//Designed by: Gus Canales
//Date:11/17/2021
//Last update: 11/17/2021
//Designed using an Arduino pro mini, 2 neopixel sticks (1x8) for the power cell
//and a neopixel ring or strip. Set CTPIX to match your setup
//Wire the 2 1x8 sticks in series and then the ring or strip.
//The order is important.
//Use a switch to select between the 1984/2021 verison per wiring schematic provided by me.
//Enjoy Ghostbusting

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>
#define PIN 4
#define CELLPIX 16 //Set it at 16. Powercell uses 15 pixels only so the first one is ignored
#define CTLOOP 30 // how many pixels per cyclotron loop?
int PIXELS = CELLPIX+CTLOOP; // Total Pixels
int CTPIX = CTLOOP/4; //
int CTPOWER = 10; //0-255 (lowest to highest) brightness
int CELLPOWER = 10; //0-255 (lowest to highest) brightness
int SPEED = 0; //0 - 4 (lowest to highest)
int luz = 3; //2021 beam lenght
float intensity = 0;
int Spd = 50; //milisecond delay
int loops=25;
int hold=200;
int stage = 0;
int ramp = 0;
int r = 100;
int x=1;
int y=1;
int z=0;
const byte buttonPin = 2;
volatile byte buttonState = LOW; // variable for reading the pushbutton status
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(PIXELS, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() {
strip.begin();
strip.show(); // Initialize all pixels to 'off'
// initialize the pushbutton pin as an input:
pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT_PULLUP);
attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(buttonPin), swap, CHANGE);
}

void loop() {
// read the state of the pushbutton value:
buttonState = digitalRead(buttonPin);
if (buttonState == HIGH) {
//----1984----
for (int a=0;a<4;a++){ // cyclotron position
colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 0, CELLPOWER), 50-SPEED*10); // Blue
if(a<1)
CTA(strip.Color(0, 0, 0), 3);
else if(a>0)
CTA(strip.Color(0, 0, 0), a-1);

CTA(strip.Color(CTPOWER, 0, 0), a);
colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 0, 0), 0); // Black
}
}
else {
//----2021----
ramp = loops + random(loops);
hold = hold + random(hold);
for(int b=0;b<ramp;b++){ //rampup
Cyclotron(r,0,0,luz,2+Spd);
Spd = Spd-2;
Spd = constrain (Spd,1,ramp*2);
}
for(int c=0;c<hold;c++){ //speedhold
Cyclotron(r,0,0,luz,2+Spd);}

for(int d=ramp-1;d>0;d--){ //rampdown
Cyclotron(r,0,0,luz,2+Spd);
Spd = Spd+2;
Spd = constrain (Spd,1,ramp*2);
}
}

}

// Fill the dots one after the other with a color
void colorWipe(uint32_t c, uint8_t wait) {
for(uint16_t i=1; i<strip.numPixels()-CTLOOP; i++) {//added 4 last pixels as a cyclotron
strip.setPixelColor(i, c);
strip.show();
delay(wait);
}
}

// Fill the dots one after the other with a color
void CTA(uint32_t c, uint8_t pos) {
for(uint16_t i=1; i<CTPIX-1; i++) {//added 4 last pixels as a cyclotron
strip.setPixelColor(CELLPIX+pos*CTPIX+i, c);
strip.show();
delay(1);
}
}

void Cyclotron(byte red, byte green, byte blue, int light, int Spd)
{
x=1;
y=0;
z=0;
for (int i=0; i<CTLOOP; i++)
{
for(int a=0;a<light;a++){
y=x+a;
strip.setPixelColor(CELLPIX+i+a+1, strip.Color(red/y, green, blue));
if(i+a >= CTLOOP)
strip.setPixelColor(CELLPIX+luz-a-1, strip.Color(red/y, green, blue));
}
z= constrain (i,0,CELLPIX-1);
strip.setPixelColor(z, strip.Color(0, 0, CELLPOWER));
strip.show();
strip.setPixelColor(CELLPIX+i, strip.Color(0, 0, 0));
delay(Spd);
}
colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 0, 0), 0); // Black
}
void swap() {
// read the state of the pushbutton
asm volatile ( "jmp 0");
By Gucabe
oh and forgot to mention, that last code is not complete... I did not finish it cause I figure i would just add 4 more pixels to the powercell circuit and make things easier..
By Mark15
wow this is amazing likeness for the afterlife upgrades! Keep up the good work! Are these new sounds available to download, or is my newb ass just missing the right thread where these are?
By Gucabe
jonogunn wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:49 pm
Gucabe wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 1:51 pm oh and forgot to mention, that last code is not complete... I did not finish it cause I figure i would just add 4 more pixels to the powercell circuit and make things easier..
Hi Gucabe. Just wondering if there’s been any update to this?
Well I have another neutrona wand and I will be making the electronics for it, it will interact with the pack now. Im in the early stages but will share updates soon.
jonogunn liked this
RedSpecial wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:10 pm I've isolated the audio for the pack and thrower power up sequences but someone more savvy than me would need to remove the extraneous audio.
Thank you so much for this but does anyone know how to properly loop the hum of the proton pack?
Last edited by Kingpin on January 2nd, 2022, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote formatting.
By dantonvfx
It's awesome that you are trying to connect the Wand tot he pack!!

I was gonna follow your steps, but the bill was going too high to work on a Spirit Pack tbh, and more knowing I woudl resell it after I get my haslab. I still have all what I need on the Amazon shoping lsit, just for sounds, but its like 300CADs, if I add light stuff goes more up...

So I decided to go with Ghostlab Spengler Link... but it will take 4 months to get the components at least....

And now you say you are working on to connecting the wand with the Pack... and makes me want to wait to see what you get and follow your steps again lol.
By rolandblais
Thank you so much for this but does anyone know how to properly loop the hum of the proton pack?
I took apart a sound file from the Facebook Group Germany GB Fans, and separated the startup from the regular hum. I have a 30 second, 1 hour, and 5 hour version, because hey, why not. Startup sound is in there too.

They're in my Gdrive: here. Enjoy.
Last edited by rolandblais on January 27th, 2022, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimsy33, mike_waclo, dUaL liked this
By dantonvfx
rolandblais wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:15 pm
I took apart a sound file from the Facebook Group Germany GB Fans, and separated the startup from the regular hum. I have a 30 second, 1 hour, and 5 hour version, because hey, why not. Startup sound is in there too.

They're in my dropbox: here. Enjoy.
Thank you so much!!!!!! I love these!!! Are there Shutting down sound files that you think are worth it to match with your start up and hum quality sounds?

How is going the interaction between wand and PP? I'm on fire to hear updates haha
rolandblais liked this
By dantonvfx
Thanks so much!

I was wondering how the interconnection between Wand and Pack is going. Also how is that gonna affcet your current setup, since now the Wand goes by itself connected tot he Amp directly.

Cheers!
rolandblais liked this
By rolandblais
No interconnection for now. I was looking at maybe doing an "aux output" mod on my Spengler, but it's a bit too much dissection for me. When I make a wand from scratch that'll be a different story. And more programming :-P
By dantonvfx
Awesome!

So then its GOLD?? I have everything I need on my Amazon cart, but its arround 300CAD, and just for Sound, not counting Lights.... so I'm still thinking what to do.... I guess the AMP and Mixer is what really drags the money
By rolandblais

I'm using this soundcard, and I will probably use this as an amp. I tested the card as a proof of concept, and was happy with it; haven't tested the amp; haven't bought it yet.

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]