Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
starang11 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:06 am
jonogunn wrote: January 27th, 2022, 3:20 am Having the etco-1a be a separate mobile would make more sense in-universe
robbritton wrote: Ecto-1A is literally only a joke whereby the punchline is all the advertising and extra pointless junk they've strapped on top. It's funny - one of many long gag payoffs to the "oh they'll be totally discreet!" from the first film.
Ecto24601 wrote: It would not make sense to me if Egon, all by himself, would take Ecto-1A and all of Ecto-1s original gear to Oklahoma, strip it down and bring it back to Ecto-1 but with a setup that requires AT LEAST three people to operate effectively.
Ecto-gate is back on!
I'm in the "2 cars" club, but only since Afterlife came along - I assumed until then that it was the same car, its obnoxious restoration in 2 basically a middle finger to everyone who made fun of them since they went out of business (I like the deleted bit where Hardemeyer refers to it as a clown car).

But its appearance in Afterlife - I have a hard time seeing a reason (within the story) why it would be reverted completely back to its original look, including the original plates which New York discontinued in '86. (If it still kept some element from the 1-A - the plates, maybe a faded logo or the back bumper or something, I wouldn't have my tinfoil hat on.) Considering how forward-thinking Egon usually was (like adding the gunner seat) I can't see him strolling down memory lane and painstakingly reverting everything else back to 1984.
It's one of the factors behind the "GB2 is no longer canon" rumor, because its appearance here only makes sense if the Ecto 1-A never happened. (*whispers* ...unless there's two cars)
I absolutely concede that Afterlife has totally muddied the water by reverting back to Ecto-1, and has created an annoying need for there being two cars retroactively. Taken on GB2 alone though, I stand by it.

I still think Jason Reitman way overestimated what general audiences recognise on the roof rack, mind - no one would have been confused had there been some 1A elements on the roof rack. Ah well, Schrodinger's Ecto, innit? They should park it outside the Schrodinger's Firehouse Starbucks!
Last edited by robbritton on January 27th, 2022, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
starang11 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:06 am
It's one of the factors behind the "GB2 is no longer canon" rumor, because its appearance here only makes sense if the Ecto 1-A never happened. (*whispers* ...unless there's two cars)
I never gave in that "GB2 is not canon" rumor, it's just the fact that there are SO FEW ties and references to it in Afterlife that we've seen since 2019 and even in the finished movie that it feels like major aspects of it simply have been overlooked. Sure, we got Ray's Occult Books, the toaster, the gigameter. On the other hand we got a ton of stuff that's directly linked to the first movie- Ecto-1, Egon's pack, the trap, the jumpsuits. But a thing many just seem to forget is that the last time we saw the Ghostbusters before the opening scenes of Afterlife was them being handed the key to the city and celebrated on Liberty Island. Now tell me where that is referenced in Afterlife. It's ok if Jason/Gil/Ghost Corps want to save all of the what happened in-between 1990 and 2021 for a different story, maybe for the new videogame. But at the moment it is what it is.
The other thing about the car is that it was not a common vehicle to go out and replace after the courtroom scene. It’s a specific, old and out of production car that Ray bought because it’s what they could afford in the first movie.

It’s very easy to just explain they reverted it back because the the extra stuff was not needed and wanted to modify it. I’m sure they would not have continued using the 2 logo forever either.
Until stated otherwise It makes more sense to me that they had 2 vehicles. Ray went back to the guy he bought the first one from and he had another laying around. Maybe he used to own a funeral business?

The Ecto-1 was retired and just sitting around somewhere after they built the Ecto-1A and have been using that for some time. Then maybe during a car chase battle with some spooks the Ecto-1A got wrecked and they had to revert back to the Ecto-1 and then implementing the idea of a gunner seat. They didn’t bother with any more upgrades because it was towards the end of their career and money was tight.
Wafflerobot liked this
jonogunn wrote: January 27th, 2022, 4:04 pm Until stated otherwise It makes more sense to me that they had 2 vehicles. Ray went back to the guy he bought the first one from and he had another laying around. Maybe he used to own a funeral business?

The Ecto-1 was retired and just sitting around somewhere after they built the Ecto-1A and have been using that for some time. Then maybe during a car chase battle with some spooks the Ecto-1A got wrecked and they had to revert back to the Ecto-1 and then implementing the idea of a gunner seat. They didn’t bother with any more upgrades because it was towards the end of their career and money was tight.
Not to totally take this thread off topic, but I've always been a two-car supporter and I think I have a theory that answers why the 1 is in Afterlife and not the 1A if the two-car theory is correct. Here's a screen cap of the end of GB II. Notice what's not there? Yep, the 1A. Notice what it? The Statue of Liberty right where the 1A was.

Now, before anyone says, "But they drove the car to get to the Statue of Liberty!" know that the customs house aka museum is literally across the street from Battery Park, the place where you hop on the ferry to go to Liberty Island. The guys walked over to battery park to hop the ferry. SO, cut to the chase: Lady Liberty fell on the 1A while the 1 was mothballed hence why we see the 1 in Afterlife and not the 1A.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

LOL! I may have brought this up before and I enjoy it every time this subject gets brought up. ;) I am of the thought that the Ecto 1 and 1A are the same car just reconfigured. Much like the Wrecto is just another configuration of the same vehicle.

I know that this book may not be considered official canon, but it states that the Ecto 1 and 1A are the same car.

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Ect ... 5511088186

It’s a very fun read. :):):)
69428scj wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:57 pm
jonogunn wrote: January 27th, 2022, 4:04 pm Until stated otherwise It makes more sense to me that they had 2 vehicles. Ray went back to the guy he bought the first one from and he had another laying around. Maybe he used to own a funeral business?

Not to totally take this thread off topic, but I've always been a two-car supporter and I think I have a theory that answers why the 1 is in Afterlife and not the 1A if the two-car theory is correct. Here's a screen cap of the end of GB II. Notice what's not there? Yep, the 1A. Notice what it? The Statue of Liberty right where the 1A was.

Now, before anyone says, "But they drove the car to get to the Statue of Liberty!" know that the customs house aka museum is literally across the street from Battery Park, the place where you hop on the ferry to go to Liberty Island. The guys walked over to battery park to hop the ferry. SO, cut to the chase: Lady Liberty fell on the 1A while the 1 was mothballed hence why we see the 1 in Afterlife and not the 1A.

It's a neat thought, but in the world of the movie the museum is on lower Central Park East rather than down in Battery Park - hence the long walk in the Statue of Liberty to get there.

You can see its position in the matte shot when the slime shell lifts off - it's also supported by the shot of the clouds forming over the scene from the Mayor's office.

Ecto-1A is sitting safe and sound somewhere by the river!
robbritton wrote: January 28th, 2022, 5:31 am It's a neat thought, but in the world of the movie the museum is on lower Central Park East rather than down in Battery Park - hence the long walk in the Statue of Liberty to get there.

You can see its position in the matte shot when the slime shell lifts off - it's also supported by the shot of the clouds forming over the scene from the Mayor's office.
Gosh. If I remember right, it's been a good 6 or 7 years since I brooded about it, I settled on it likely being on Fifth Avenue and E 68 or E 69 street. Because when they see the eclipse from the Mayor's office there's a shot of the Essex House then earlier when the GBs go the museum to taking readings and photos, there's the one shot of Ray and Peter's back and if you look out the window, outside appears to be the Frick Collection on E 70th. I forget if the drafts helped square that as there was a scene of Ray and Peter arguing the route to take the Statue to the museum.
I got it squared up once by the matte painting and Google earth, based on the position of the road through the park behind it, but annoyingly I can't find the Facebook post i did it in! Definitely in the ballpark of yours, though.
There were only two things in Afterlife that kinda bothered me... the first was when Pheobe picked up the proton gun and turned it on and aimed it at the sheriff... that was kinda out of character for her at that moment to me.

The second really bothers me on a technical standpoint...

When she opens up the proton pack in the basement we see that the red lens' over the cyclotron are covered with some kind of electronic do-dads that she repairs... however, when it's first turned on in the field for testing, you see the lights of the cyclotron rotating under those lens... how can that happen if they are completely covered by something to prevent the light from shining thru them? It ruined the whole effect for me. Now, if they had decided not to have anything under the lens from the beginning, it would have made alot more sense... but because of it it just couldn't be possible. They should have stuck with just the LEDs turning on/off in sequence instead of the spinning LEDs or keep the lens clear so the cyclotron lights could be seen while it was spinning. IN any event, I think it broke the continuity for me. Thoughts?
lrdsatyr8 wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:54 am There were only two things in Afterlife that kinda bothered me... the first was when Pheobe picked up the proton gun and turned it on and aimed it at the sheriff... that was kinda out of character for her at that moment to me.

The second really bothers me on a technical standpoint...

When she opens up the proton pack in the basement we see that the red lens' over the cyclotron are covered with some kind of electronic do-dads that she repairs... however, when it's first turned on in the field for testing, you see the lights of the cyclotron rotating under those lens... how can that happen if they are completely covered by something to prevent the light from shining thru them? It ruined the whole effect for me. Now, if they had decided not to have anything under the lens from the beginning, it would have made alot more sense... but because of it it just couldn't be possible. They should have stuck with just the LEDs turning on/off in sequence instead of the spinning LEDs or keep the lens clear so the cyclotron lights could be seen while it was spinning. IN any event, I think it broke the continuity for me. Thoughts?
It was her "YOUR MOTHER" moment. Runs in the family.

Can't really say much on the second bit.
in Pheobe's case she's pissed off. People do stupid things when they're pissed off. My only gripe about that scene is now the proton pack becomes a weapon. Although they covered the potential dangers of the proton pack falling in the wrong hands with Extreme Ghostbusters.

(That scene is more likely the reasoning behind the changes to the Hasbro rifle. But that's as far as i'll go on that subject in this topic.)

As for the technical stuff i'm going to have to watch Afterlife one more time. I was just happy to see the inner workings of the proton pack to notice those small mistakes. There was a ton of easter eggs I missed the first viewing as I couldn't get over that we made it to the release date.

(If you really think about it Jason could have turned Egon into a mad scientist selling the proton pack to the highest bidder raking in millions as a black market arms dealer. The devistation would have been unthinkable.)
Egon and Phoebe are both human and though some of us disassociate and suppress our emotions on a regular basis we can’t always keep those unhealthy defenses up and so when we blow we blow up big. Her reaction is quite human.

Egon’s “your mother” moment is the most human thing he’s done in these movies
https://www.tiktok.com/@dreadmakerrober ... 4032901381
On the trap doors opening and closing on the R.T.V. props, Ben Eadie deferred to Mike, the local RC champion hired to control the R.T.V. during filming, at 00:14-00:32:
"On this stunt R.T.V., the Trap doors were solid. They were not able to open or close. On the hero R.T.V.'s, that were used on set, some were able to open the doors and some were able to close the doors. They had to start in one position then move to the other."

https://www.tiktok.com/@dreadmakerrober ... 0096809222
On what camera was used for the Ecto Goggles, at 00:01-00:20:
"What camera was used in the inside of the Ecto Goggles? Well, it was an Instanx--Insta--in, I'll show a picture here. The guts of it was basically stripped out of this camera and put into the goggles. Uh, the flash module itself was used but the frame holding the flash module that pops up? That was a custom build."
Note: He shows the Amazon listing for the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Instant Camera.

https://www.tiktok.com/@dreadmakerrober ... 5826854150
On the gunner seat Particle Thrower , at 00:16-00:46:
"Okay, I'm not trying to bug ya man, but the wand was actually made as a snub nose. Now you'll notice--I'm ex-infantry so when you have vehicle weapons, they always have a shorter barrel and the reason for the shorter barrel is that you can get in and out of the vehicle a lot faster. That same methodology or thought process went in on the wands so the Ecto wand was shorter and did not extend so that it would kind of go with everything. It was also called the snub nose."
lrdsatyr8 wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:54 am

The cyclotron lights and the little electronic things are already being replicated by people 3d printing and they have it set up so the lights are between the lens and the electrical components that plug into the pack. Which makes sense considering the components placement. Short clip showing it:

https://imgur.com/a/akJ14YH
Projected to pass $128 million domestic this weekend and more screenings added.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/01/30 ... this-week/

YHS interviewed Brynn Metheney, Francois Audouy, and Ozzy Inguanzo two days ago.

Containment Unit interviewed Metheney on the 26th.

And Danielle Kennedy.

Ira Heiden

Sarah Natochenny
timeware wrote: January 30th, 2022, 5:40 pm Can't wait to see how we do in Japan. Any bets on the take? I'm going to predict $20 million at the most, $10 million at the least.
Yeah I hope it can make $10million.

ATC did $12million. But look at how other movies are performing I wouldn't be confident it can match it.

Spider-man has only done £30million, for example.
I wonder how late of an addition Bug Eye was, cause I gonna be honest, it's the weakest effect in the film. The animation, design and polish look a bit off compared to the high production value of rest of the movie.

The only other effect I find lacking is Muncher turning around mid car chase and starts shooting metal pellets. Which can't be a late addition right? Or did they cleverly use some existing footage around it?
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 31st, 2022, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia wrote:I wonder how late of an addition Bug Eye was, cause I gonna be honest, it's the weakest effect in the film. The animation, design and polish look a bit off compared to the rest of the movie.
I can answer that one. Brynn Metheney talked about it in her interview with The Containment Unit in the one I posted a few posts up (around the 16:30 mark):
"...he came about because the film was delayed because of covid and so we had time and so they were like 'Well, that if we put in another ghost? How about Bug-Eye?' Because someone had, I think Jason, or someone was like 'Bug-Eye's a good one. He's kind of an obscure ghost that the fans really love and it'll be you know a ton of fun and so I remember literally sitting there just sketching Bug-Eye while I was sitting next to Jason on a couch while we were talking about it like and it was that right at the beginning of the covid stuff..."
Alphagaia, deadderek, Sav C and 2 others liked this
gerard55 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:48 pm
lrdsatyr8 wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:54 am

The cyclotron lights and the little electronic things are already being replicated by people 3d printing and they have it set up so the lights are between the lens and the electrical components that plug into the pack. Which makes sense considering the components placement. Short clip showing it:

https://imgur.com/a/akJ14YH
I realize that... I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense. When Adam Savage got to look inside the pack itself, you can see that's it's just a spinning light under the cover, which means that the lens aren't covered and are unobstructed so you can see that spinning light. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/BDdOBorpp5s?t=307

The image you provided still looks like just a few LEDs that simulate the spinning effect under that cover. My main point is that with the lens covered completely, you wouldn't be able to see the spinning light of the cyclotron at all in a convincing way. This was my main point.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]