Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

The Stiff wrote:Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

i only like the music that huey lewis made on oliver and company
By The Stiff
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece.

It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

By Ketchum
Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Christie?

It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

http://youtu.be/vPHc5RpwJSI
By jmfoxfire
Ketchum wrote:Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Christie?

It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

http://youtu.be/vPHc5RpwJSI
By jmfoxfire
The Stiff wrote:Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece.

It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

i sure do like Phil Collins hes :cool:
Every note these 2 guys ever played was gold.. All other musicians should just throw out every intrument they own lol

Oh yeah, can't forget the most demonic metal lineup ever
The song itself isn't from the 80's but it's really close (3 years shy). It doesn't hurt that it's a James Bond theme either. Nonetheless, this recording was made in the 80's, therefore; it counts.

This song reminds me of 6th grade

If you're a fan of the Donger....

I could go on for days and days....
By cowbybill
As much as I hate to say this I like alot of the one hit wonders of the 80's (no videos most are too painful to watch):
Dexys Midnight Runners "Come on Eileen"
Flock of Seagulls "I Ran (So Far Away)
A-Ha "Take On Me"
Tommy Tutone "867-5309 / Jenny"
Soft Cell "Tainted Love"
Kajagoogoo "Too Shy"
Thomas Dolby "She Blinded Me With Science"
Devo "Whip It"
Nena "99 Luft Balloons"
Men Without Hats "The Safety Dance"
Dead or Alive "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)"
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians "What I Am"
Musical Youth "Pass the Dutchie"
M "Pop Muzic"
Cutting Crew "I Just Died In Your Arms"
Stacey Q "Two of Hearts"
John Parr "St. Elmos Fire (Man In Motion)"
Madness "Our House"
The Vapors "Turning Japanese"
The Waitresses "I Know What Boys Like" (Mainly because this song used to annoy the hell out of my sister!)
The Buggles "Video Killed the Radio Star"
Til Tuesday "Voices Carry"
Peter Schilling "Major Tom"
Buckner & Garcia "Pac-Man Fever"
Ray Parker Jr. "Ghostbusters"
Tim Curry "I Do The Rock"
Divynls "Back to the wall"
Dramrama "Anything, Anything"
As cheesy as it is - The Song "Doctor in Distress" that was recorded to try and save the show Dr. Who
While I don't know if he qualifies as a one hit wonder but all of Wierd Al's stuff as well.
And the Dr. Demento show ( Is it even still on?)
'Tonight Tonight Tonight' By Phil Collins is one of the coolest pop songs I've ever heard.

Can I just point out the fact that he was a short, chubby, bald, Pommy session drummer. No part of him deserved to be a pop god, yet he was because he had a ridiculous ear for melody, and when he wasnt writing his own stuff, he was producing other artists such as Howard Jones' 'No One is To Blame'

Other than that I would have to rate Mr Mister's 'Welcome to ther Real World' as THE BEST album of the 80's. It sounds a little dated, but look past the keyboards and synth drums and you will find elements here and there that would stand up even today as great pop songs.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]