Every year I spend a month or two working on my costume. Next year, I'm already planning on Goggle upgrades. Currently I'm using a custom made set I got on Etsy made from safety glasses. They're nice, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking at the Matty collector set and the Spirit Halloween set. Obviously the former is far more expensive to find, but for the sake of this discussion we are ignoring price. Additionally, the thing that stands out most to me with the Spirit Halloween Goggles is that the color is way too bright. I found some good repaint tutorials on YouTube I'm willing to go with, so for the purposes of this discussion we're also ignoring the paint job. Other than that, I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts about the two sets.

Particularly, for those with first-hand experience:
  • The comfort of wearing them
  • Screen accuracy (again, ignoring paint)
  • Overall aesthetic
  • I've heard the battery hatches and legalese on the Matty's are jarring. Thoughts?
The Matty ones are well made, great face padding and fairly accurate head strap, plus it interacts with the Matty PKE. But they're pretty heavy and sort of a sea foam green. The Spirit ones are much lighter but require repainting and you have to add a new head strap and other fittings to make them more accurate. Plus they're uncomfortable and you cant wear them with glasses.
Kieron W liked this
As Spectre said my biggest knock against the Matty’s (original paint color aside) is the weight. They definitely have some heft, and at least for me can get uncomfortable having up on my head for long periods of time. When I do bring them out, they spend the bulk of the time hanging off my radio. But they are fairly easy to tear down and paint a more correct color. I did this with mine, repainted and weathered the snaps to incorporate some brass coloring and I’m happy with them. As you mentioned, they have become quite expensive. I got lucky and snagged mine off eBay a few years ago for $100, I see them now going for consistently north of $300.

I don’t have much experience with the spirit version other than handling them in store but they definitely felt lighter. I’ve seen some cool mods people have done on here to get them closer to screen accurate. It’s up to you and what your situation is in terms of money, ability/willingness to modify etc. Also as a side note, keep an eye out on places like RPF, one member just did a a run of ecto goggles for $250 that looked phenomenal. Im a little bummed I missed it tbh, but there is always that option as an in between with the spirit/matty options.
DarkSpectre wrote: November 4th, 2021, 10:44 am The Matty ones are well made, great face padding and fairly accurate head strap, plus it interacts with the Matty PKE. But they're pretty heavy and sort of a sea foam green. The Spirit ones are much lighter but require repainting and you have to add a new head strap and other fittings to make them more accurate. Plus they're uncomfortable and you cant wear them with glasses.
Seconded here, I had to remove my glasses to try it on because it kept pushing down onto them!
I have both. I have to say I enjoy the Spirit versions better. The lightweight of them, the ease of adjusting them is way simpler. I removed the top strap on them however and added a greeblie on the screw hole for it. I've never cared for the way the head strap flops my hair around.

The Matty ones I had to have the straps folded back and electrical taped to keep them to a point they at least fit on my head. They do look more heavy duty. I actually don't wear them much at all and am looking to sell them. I mean they look nice on a shelf but the ease of wearing the spirit goggles as well as the weight and the customize options are imo a funner item to go busting with. Also easier to replace. I had hoped that Hasbro would have given us new traps, goggles, PKE's when they got the license but...I don't know when or if we will. Maybe Haslab projects in the next year.
One time wrote: December 12th, 2022, 6:20 pm I'd say any Matty GB prop is a collectors piece now. The Matty PKE is a work of art. I wouldn't wear them to cons. You could just repaint and customize a Spirit item and get it looking more accurate than the Matty anyway, and you wouldn't mind it being banged around.
I have to agree, as much as I would love to own a Matty wand or ghost trap for cons, I couldn't even want to put it in the cosplay pile, knowing that possibly someone would try to either steal it or it would fall off and get damaged. That's why I went with the Spirit versions, because at least I know IF anything goes wrong with it, I can buy another one anyway!
One time liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]