By mike_waclo
So I took advantage of today's nice weather in Ohio to get out and spray paint my lens face plate, and finally wrap up my GB Fans goggle build!

Bought everything available on GBFans (Frame, lenses, battery cover, side knobs, head straps) and supplemented with AN/PVS5 face pad, power knob and rotary switch from eBay. Foil labels are from GBFans, and dry-rub labels are from Mack's Factory.

Face plate was painted with Tamiya TS-28, and is a near-perfect match for the existing color on the frame!

RedSpecial, cristovalc, Borzou and 3 others liked this
By cristovalc
Those look most excellent, nice work!

When did you get the face padding? I’ve been looking all over for some and even previously purchased them from eBay, but due to limitations with purchasing “military equipment” from Canada I had to have them sent to a guy in the US, who flaked out on mailing them across the boarder. All this to say is I’m still looking but they really seem hard to find these days.
By mike_waclo
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

cristovalc wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:23 pm Those look most excellent, nice work!

When did you get the face padding? I’ve been looking all over for some and even previously purchased them from eBay, but due to limitations with purchasing “military equipment” from Canada I had to have them sent to a guy in the US, who flaked out on mailing them across the boarder. All this to say is I’m still looking but they really seem hard to find these days.
The seller I bought from does look like they're limited to US shipping, but there is a seller making replicas just for Ecto Goggles, and they look nearly identical in the photos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/185743045332
cristovalc liked this
By Ebobhazard84
Where did you find the Mack's Factory dry rubs? I can't find anything on their site. I'm currently using the GBFans mylar decals but I'd really prefer the dry rub kit.
By mike_waclo
Ebobhazard84 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 7:14 pm Where did you find the Mack's Factory dry rubs? I can't find anything on their site. I'm currently using the GBFans mylar decals but I'd really prefer the dry rub kit.
I messaged him a number of months ago to see if he still had any, and he was able to find one set lying around that he sold to me… Very lucky timing!
By mike_waclo
aburns84 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 5:24 pm Did you need to buy any hardware such as special bolt and nut for the side dials?
Nope! The side knobs friction set on the hex screws they come with, and the hex screws thread into the metal plate the lenses attach to. I did use a little super glue to help bond the knobs to the hex screws.
By Ebobhazard84
I'm a little jealous. I have the lens release that didn't have the wings to screw the hex screws into, so I had to rig mine up with a stack of washers and a nut.
By Jimm
I'm currently working on my own goggles using many of the exact same parts as you. Seeing how great yours are makes me feel like I'm on the right track. I ordered the the same rotary switch and knob from eBay (but have not yet received them) and I'm wondering how you attached the switch to the frame and the knob to the switch?

From the photos, it looks like the switch is threaded. Does it screw directly into the frame or is there a nut for the other side?

And the knob specifically says it does not include a set screw, did you have to buy a set screw for it?
WhoaFoogles liked this
By mike_waclo
Jimm wrote: November 9th, 2023, 7:32 am I'm currently working on my own goggles using many of the exact same parts as you. Seeing how great yours are makes me feel like I'm on the right track. I ordered the the same rotary switch and knob from eBay (but have not yet received them) and I'm wondering how you attached the switch to the frame and the knob to the switch?

From the photos, it looks like the switch is threaded. Does it screw directly into the frame or is there a nut for the other side?

And the knob specifically says it does not include a set screw, did you have to buy a set screw for it?
So I attached the switch to the frame with a thin 1/4" nut, and used some small set screws to attach the knob to the switch. What's not at all helpful is that I didn't really document which ones ended up working for me. :( I had to buy a few different options of each from Amazon to find the right thread pitch for the nut, and the right size set screws.

The set screws kept coming loose, so I ended up adding some blue LocTite to help seal them in there, and it's held up well since then.
WhoaFoogles liked this
By Jimm
mike_waclo wrote: November 9th, 2023, 7:37 am So I attached the switch to the frame with a thin 1/4" nut, and used some small set screws to attach the knob to the switch. What's not at all helpful is that I didn't really document which ones ended up working for me. :( I had to buy a few different options of each from Amazon to find the right thread pitch for the nut, and the right size set screws.

The set screws kept coming loose, so I ended up adding some blue LocTite to help seal them in there, and it's held up well since then.
That is extremely helpful info! At least now I know that it's gonna take some effort, and I won't just be thinking "that other guy didn't have this problem." Thank you!
mike_waclo liked this
By WhoaFoogles
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Jimm wrote: November 9th, 2023, 7:44 am
mike_waclo wrote: November 9th, 2023, 7:37 am So I attached the switch to the frame with a thin 1/4" nut, and used some small set screws to attach the knob to the switch. What's not at all helpful is that I didn't really document which ones ended up working for me. :( I had to buy a few different options of each from Amazon to find the right thread pitch for the nut, and the right size set screws.

That is extremely helpful info! At least now I know that it's gonna take some effort, and I won't just be thinking "that other guy didn't have this problem." Thank you!
Dude, you and I are in the exact same boat, and I was just about to reply to this old thread asking the same questions you did today.

I literally just received this assortment of set screws this afternoon and I can confirm that the M3 thread size is too large for securing the on/off switch. Off to source some M2 set screws meself, and also a nut that will fit the rotary switch.

Cheers to both of you gents. I absolutely love my "idealized" set of goggles and they're almost finished thanks to y'all.
mike_waclo, Jimm liked this
By Jimm

WhoaFoogles wrote: November 9th, 2023, 11:50 pm Dude, you and I are in the exact same boat, and I was just about to reply to this old thread asking the same questions you did today.

I literally just received this assortment of set screws this afternoon and I can confirm that the M3 thread size is too large for securing the on/off switch. Off to source some M2 set screws meself, and also a nut that will fit the rotary switch.

Cheers to both of you gents. I absolutely love my "idealized" set of goggles and they're almost finished thanks to y'all.
Let me know if/when you source set screws and a nut that work well! Would love to take advantage of your trial and error, so that I don't have to do it myself... :lol:
By WhoaFoogles
Jimm wrote: November 13th, 2023, 7:44 pmLet me know if/when you source set screws and a nut that work well! Would love to take advantage of your trial and error, so that I don't have to do it myself... :lol:
I ventured out to brave the terrible Alaskan roads and hit up my local hardware stores today. I couldn't find any set screws, but I did get a 1/4-28 jam nut (this exact type), that is nice and thin and fits the toggle switch perfectly. I ordered a couple M2 set screws from eBay that will arrive after Thanksgiving, so fingers crossed those do the trick to complete the ensemble.

The Frozen Empire teaser features goggles that definitely have the on/off switch, so I feel justified for adding it to my idealized goggles. Here's hoping the inevitable Afterlife/FE-style premium aluminum lenses will fit the current mounting plates...
mike_waclo, Jimm liked this
By WhoaFoogles
WhoaFoogles wrote: November 18th, 2023, 5:39 pm
Jimm wrote: November 13th, 2023, 7:44 pmLet me know if/when you source set screws and a nut that work well! Would love to take advantage of your trial and error, so that I don't have to do it myself... :lol:
I ventured out to brave the terrible Alaskan roads and hit up my local hardware stores today. I couldn't find any set screws, but I did get a 1/4-28 jam nut (this exact type), that is nice and thin and fits the toggle switch perfectly. I ordered a couple M2 set screws from eBay that will arrive after Thanksgiving, so fingers crossed those do the trick to complete the ensemble.

The Frozen Empire teaser features goggles that definitely have the on/off switch, so I feel justified for adding it to my idealized goggles. Here's hoping the inevitable Afterlife/FE-style premium aluminum lenses will fit the current mounting plates...
Welp, M2 set screws are too small. Goldilock's Theorem suggests M2.5 will do the trick, so a couple of those are on the way now.
Jimm liked this
By mike_waclo
WhoaFoogles wrote: November 24th, 2023, 4:00 pm Welp, M2 set screws are too small. Goldilock's Theorem suggests M2.5 will do the trick, so a couple of those are on the way now.
If I recall, I might have had success with a non-metric sized set-screw
Jimm liked this
By WhoaFoogles
mike_waclo wrote: November 24th, 2023, 4:06 pm
WhoaFoogles wrote: November 24th, 2023, 4:00 pm Welp, M2 set screws are too small. Goldilock's Theorem suggests M2.5 will do the trick, so a couple of those are on the way now.
If I recall, I might have had success with a non-metric sized set-screw
Yeah, M2.5 is also too small, just catching the thread enough to be annoying. I think I'll just glue the knob on the stem and call it done at this point; I've wasted enough money on useless set screws to cover a fancy latte or a craft beer with nothing to show for it.
By mike_waclo
WhoaFoogles wrote: December 6th, 2023, 11:32 pm Yeah, M2.5 is also too small, just catching the thread enough to be annoying. I think I'll just glue the knob on the stem and call it done at this point; I've wasted enough money on useless set screws to cover a fancy latte or a craft beer with nothing to show for it.
Just looking at mine, and I remembered that I was only able to get a set screw to fit in one of the holes… they’re two different sizes. So I have a set screw in one, positioned to interface with the divot in the switch stem, and then I ended up leaving the other one empty.
By mike_waclo
Jimm wrote: December 14th, 2023, 5:13 pm Would you guys be mad if I said that the first set screws I tried seemed to be a perfect fit? :angryvigo:
That’s amazing! Still highly recommend throwing some blue loctite in there so it stays attached.
Jimm liked this
By WhoaFoogles
Jimm wrote: December 14th, 2023, 5:13 pm Would you guys be mad if I said that the first set screws I tried seemed to be a perfect fit? :angryvigo:
Will you reveal the secrets of your success? I never got around to actually gluing mine in, so that approach is still technically on the table if the right screw can be found.

To answer your other question, yeah, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the GBFans frames for the switch to fit through. I also used a small washer on the inside of the frames so when the knob was applied it fit more flush with the frame instead of sticking out a couple millimeters.
By Jimm

WhoaFoogles wrote:Will you reveal the secrets of your success? I never got around to actually gluing mine in, so that approach is still technically on the table if the right screw can be found.

To answer your other question, yeah, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the GBFans frames for the switch to fit through. I also used a small washer on the inside of the frames so when the knob was applied it fit more flush with the frame instead of sticking out a couple millimeters.
I sent a message to the eBay seller asking if they knew what size set screw would work with the knobs they're selling. There is technical information in their listing but I couldn't figure it out on my own. The National Supply Number for the knob is 5355-01-099-3473, and the specification for the set screw holes is #4 so 0.112" x 40 thread.

With that information, I went to Amazon and found these 4-40 x 1/8" set screws which worked perfectly.

I thought the frames already included a hole for attached the switch and knob, but clearly they do not. I have lenses ordered but it will probably be a couple months yet until I have them in hand, and I'm hesitant to drill into the frames without knowing how much space I'll have inside.
mike_waclo, WhoaFoogles liked this
By Joeyvenkman
How heavy are these once fully assembled? Currently debating whether I should build these from the GBFans parts or just mod & repaint the spirit goggles.
By mike_waclo
Joeyvenkman wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:18 am How heavy are these once fully assembled? Currently debating whether I should build these from the GBFans parts or just mod & repaint the spirit goggles.
Even with the weight of the metal lenses, the GBFans frame is crazy light... I just weighed my goggles, and they came out to 16.1 oz. I've worn them all day at cons, and barely notice that they're there.
By Joeyvenkman
Damn. I'm tempted to drop the 500 bucks for it all lol. How's the head strap? Does it seem to hold up ok despite being new old stock?

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]