By Matareno
I was hoping if there is anyone who knows where all the wires go for a Code-3 Mx-7000 lightbar, I have the manual for the lightbar but all it tells me about wiring is to reference a small tag that was on the wires its self. I bought this lightbar on ebay and there was no tag with it, I contacted the seller for the tag and he said he did not have it. I feel as if I'm at a loss and I can't figure out what wire is for what, other then the ground wire that is. I have googled it all over again and again, youtube has been no help either. Dose anyone own this style lightbar who might be able to give some insight and help? Thanks.
By ChevyEcto1
Hey Boomer,

Have you ever looked at the manual for a Code 3 MX7000 bar?? I have the PDF for it and its basically useless.. Why don't you let people who actually have answers for questions answer them.
By AJ Quick
ChevyEcto1 wrote:Hey Boomer,

Have you ever looked at the manual for a Code 3 MX7000 bar?? I have the PDF for it and its basically useless.. Why don't you let people who actually have answers for questions answer them.
So were you gonna answer the question? Or just attack Boomerjinks?
By Foom Man
We have that same manual for our lightbar- it's pretty much useless. We basically hooked up the ground and a few of the hot wires to the battery terminals in the HHR via a switch box Pat and I put together one afternoon.
By ChevyEcto1
Already answered it in a PM from that member,

Foom Man, did you guys put any relays in place or just go right to the 12v source?
By BSjohnson
I have two MX7000 lightbars that I bought locally. Both were pulled from police cars and the wire harness was simply cut off. If I understand your question correctly, you want to know which wire goes to which component on the ightbar; e.g. this wire goes to the rotators, this one to the intersections, alleys, takedowns, etc.

The simplest way to figure that out is to tap the wires to your car's battery. By doing this you'll learn that the blue wire leads to X, the orange to Y and so on. Not only will you discover which wire does what, you'll discover what components are working or not. I gleaned that from the aforementioned "useless" installation manual.

As far as wiring it to controls, that manual that Boomer posted is indeed no help at all. It shows you how to hook the built-in Arrowstik to a control head, but leaves the rest of the bar for the operator to deal with.

You can wire up custom switches like Foom Man did, but for the love of Pete, use relays between the battery and the switch so you reduce the risk of the switches melting.

Personally when I get around to wiring up my light bars I plan to use something based on a discussion I had with Bryan a few weeks ago:

It's a Federal Signal Unitrol Omega 9000 control head and you can pretty much wire up anything in your light bar to any switch on there. With all that's going on in an MX7000, multiple switches are needed.
By Foom Man
Pat and I used automotive fuses for our control box. We connect the box from the terminals with some disconnects we put together, currently.

We really need to make use of the control box we grabbed off some guys a few months back (it came wih our blue lenses for the Mx7000). If you need lenses let anyone on GBNH know.

Let us know how wiring goes man.
By BSjohnson
Boomerjinks wrote:Thaaaat is an awesome control box.
Isn't it though? It's what will be in the Bonneville when all is said an done.
By RA24_4_Me
To reduce the risk of switches melting, don't use shitty plastic switches off of the parts store shelf. I found and ordered some borg warner 50 amp metal switches and they dont even get a little warm after prolonged use, whereas the plastic ones I used heated up after a few minutes of use.
By ChevyEcto1
Using relays will solve your problems as well. I have two switches, one that controls all 4 rotors and one that controls the take down and alley lights. The rear arrow stick is connected to the tail lights and illuminates with the brakes and turn signals. The whole bar lights with the brakes and the outer 3 sections light with the corresponding turn signals.
By BSjohnson
Well ... that certainly is interesting. If I didn't want to use my Arrowstik as intended I'd probably do the same.
By RA24_4_Me
I tried wiring a relay in mine when I was having problems with things heating up, also tried a solenoid at one point, all that did was cause the relay to heat up instead of the switch.
By ChevyEcto1
What size power wire and wires were you using to connect everything? I used an 4 ga Amplifier install kit for my power and ground wiring, everything else is 12 ga. I'm pretty sure I threw two relays in there, one for the rotors and one for the surrounding lights. The arrow stick is hard wired right to the rear brake light harness.
By ChevyEcto1
That explains it... according to the users manual (only part of it that is worth something) rotors pull the most amount of amperage. I never could figure out though what standard rotating lamps and rotating lamps meant in power supply table.
By ChevyEcto1
That's a pretty big dent to buff out. . . looks like the whole pass. quarter needs to be replaced. But the roof rack is almost done !!!
By Boomerjinks
ChevyEcto1 wrote: Have you ever looked at the manual for a Code 3 MX7000 bar?? I have the PDF for it and its basically useless.. Why don't you let people who actually have answers for questions answer them.
Sorry bro, dude was asking for the installation manual in the OP, said he couldn't find it anywhere, so I provided a link, bro.
By BSjohnson
Boomerjinks wrote:Sorry bro, dude was asking for the installation manual in the OP, said he couldn't find it anywhere, so I provided a link, bro.
Matareno wrote: I have the manual for the lightbar but all it tells me about wiring is to reference a small tag that was on the wires its self.
He was asking for help with the wiring. Said he already had the manual. It's okay, it's easy to miss that.
By ProtonCharger
if he has the manual, it has the wiring diagram in it.

i dont have this thing and it took nothing to look for "wiring instructions" pg 6-7 on the right of each of the diagrams that say preferable wires, it has wattage specifications in table 1, and has some instructions of installation. is he wanting a map of how to feed the wires throughout his car? no. thats something he's going to have to figure out on his own.
By robandliv
Ok, I am going to check out some mx7000 this weekend. Can some one give me some instructions on how to easily test them? The guys had about 8 of them and has no idea if they work. From what I understand, I am going to ground the black wire to the metal of my car and the rest of the wires I can test on the positive wire of my car?

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]