mikegbfan2009 wrote: 1. Is it correct to say that the GB1 frames are LC1 ALICE frames and have no 1" offset on the backbar and the GB2 frames are LC2 frames that have backbars raised 1" off the frame? I've found conflicting definitions of what LC1 versus LC2 actually refer to - frame, straps, pack, all of them together? In addition to the differences already pointed out between the straps in the two films I think this is an important distinction between the frames.
I believe this to be correct as well and have been meaning to post about it. I have a dirty/grimy/nasty (read: OLD) LC-1 frame, as well as a like-new LC-2. As Mike has described above, I've noticed on my LC-2 that the horizontal crossbar is not flush with the back of the vertical tubing (as on my LC-1), but is raised off of it a good 1/2-3/4". Not at home so I can't measure, but I will post a pic when I am.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I believe this to be the reason that some GB2 packs have a larger gap/larger spacers between the mobo and the ALICE frame than in GB1. When I tried using GB1-sized spacers on my LC-2 frame, the taller crossbar interfered with the mobo- thus I had to use larger spacers.

If you look carefully in the GB2 reference, you can see some of the packs still have LC-1 frames, based upon the height of the horizontal cross bar in the middle of the frame (the ones that were re-fit GB1 packs). When I say 'frame' I am referring only to the metal part of the ALICE frame, not the pads/straps.
LC2:
http://raccoonrocket.com/gb/reference/g ... ef-004.jpg
http://raccoonrocket.com/gb/reference/g ... ef-082.jpg
LC1:
http://raccoonrocket.com/gb/reference/g ... ef-033.jpg (GB1 refit pack)
http://raccoonrocket.com/gb/reference/g ... ef-038.jpg
http://raccoonrocket.com/gb/reference/g ... ef-116.jpg
Google is your freind.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... f&oq=&aqi=

22" x 20" x 19"
Ok, so I wasn't 100% convinced my Rothco milspec Alice frame was what I wanted to go with for my pack and I ordered the one Dan AKA recommended in his first post on the this thread. I weighed each of the frames multiple times(straps attached) on an USPS scale to get a decent reading. At some point I'll post some additional close-up pictures, but here's what I've got for now for a comparison:

Milspec, e.g. Rothco:
Condition: brand new, comes in myriad colors, easily found on places like Amazon.
Weight: 2.1 lbs.
Straps: They're sort of a cross between the GB1(LC1) & GB2(LC2) straps. The color appears correct (I admit I am partially colorblind so you might want to double-check this), and the straps have a bit of a sheen to them.
Back support bars: flush with frame body.
Construction: Very close to the real deal, though just comparing weight alone between this and the G.I. issued frame it's obvious they've cut some corners. Delving a bit deeper the back support bars are much flimsier on this frame.
Overall thoughts: Nice frame because it's light and comes in black so you don't have to do any painting. Straps also come attached.

G.I. Issue LC-2 frame:
Condition: Used - comes in GREEN.
Weight: 3.6 lbs.
Straps: On the model I purchased through Omahas it came with GBII (LC-2) straps. My kidney pad has "STRAP, WAIST, W/LOWER BACK PAD. PACK FRAME LC-2 <serial/model # info> STATE RECREATION INC" on it, though depending on wear and tear and manufacturer there's a chance you might not see this.
Back support bars: raised approx. 1 inch off of the frame body.
Construction: It weighs more, but there's no question this is a better build all-around from the frame to the pads when compared with the after-market Rothco frame. The center vertical support bar is flimsy compared to the rest of the frame, however it's still much more solid than the Rothco. Can't say for sure if it's true for all genuine issue G.I. frames, but this one's horizontal back support bar is very solid. I'd have to stand on it to effectively bend it at all.
Overall thoughts: Solid frame. Having the raised back support bar is a two-fold benefit: fits the profile for the newer model GB2 packs (not the re-structured GB1 frames used in GB2) and is much more comfortable to wear, imho. The frame comes in green, so you'll have to paint it to match the genuine hero packs.

Oddly enough, the Rothco and other similar milspec frames are probably going to cost you more than getting the read deal. At least It did for me. If you want to save on the painting effort, want a lighter frame (saves 1.5 lbs.) and don't feel as strongly about accuracy/authenticity, the milspecs are the way to go. Otherwise, I'd stick to Ebay or army surplus shops for getting your frame and straps.

M
Is there any potential structural issue if the mounting hole in the upright of the ALICE frame is not three inches above the crossbar? Mine's only a thumbprint's distance above the crossbar... this was because it was drilled without consulting reference. :oops:
Kingpin wrote:Is there any potential structural issue if the mounting hole in the upright of the ALICE frame is not three inches above the crossbar? Mine's only a thumbprint's distance above the crossbar... this was because it was drilled without consulting reference. :oops:
No. It will be fine.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I just received my LC-2 ALICE frame that I bought from eBay... And that was a good buy. :) The frame is in great condition, just a little chip here and there. The straps are in great condition too, almost new... Of course, the thing smells like a army surplus, but that adds to the charm. :P Anyway, some genuine LC-2 in great condition, at a great price from a great seller, I thought that might interest a few of you. The auction is still live, if anyone's interested. (Hint: the seller's ID is ejo4outdoors... ;))
I've just completed mine, strap removal, paint, and reassembly. It isn't that hard, even the dreaded kidney pad. :P The only problem that I see is the strap behind the kidney pad, that is completely different than the LC-1... The instructions doesn't apply for the LC-2. But I found the exact procedure right here on these forums:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =42&t=2587

This one is useful too, it's a little clearer for the securing thingy :P

http://www.ehow.com/how_5317742_put-ali ... ether.html
Shredder565 wrote:Just a quick question. I'm assuming you can buy these things new at the link below? As someone with major OCD, I hate buying used things, never know where they've been ;).
You're f**** for the most part.
I just wanted to add something to this thread because I've only ever seen one person add this to their pack.

There seems to be a large spacer on the top bolt holding the ALICE frame to the Motherboard.

It can be seen in these screen caps:

And as I stated, I've only seen one other person in the community add this to their pack. Here is a shot of pchrisbosh1's pack with the spacer.
I have talked to Chris and he said he just used scrap wood from his garage to make his spacer.

Well, as I work on my new pack, I took some pictures to show what I found to work pretty well for this spacer. It is a Polyurethane foam rubber bumper, part #8215K12 at www.mcmaster.com. It is the Medium-soft 2" x 1" bumper. Here is how it looks on my fitting of my LC-1 ALICE frame onto my motherboard.

The space between the frame and the mother board should be about 1/2" so the 1" thick bumper gets squished down to have the same look as that's seen in the film.

Just figured I'd share.
kind2311 wrote:agreed, clean it with a solvent of some kind and i suppose in this situation a little sanding wouldnt hurt either.

i did no prep work besides cleaning when I painted my first frame with one thick coat of krylon flat black and had no problems. If you're having a problem, i would try using Rustoleum since it was developed for use on metal. also flat black it what you want, not satin.
Is there a special kind of solvent to use? I just received an OD frame from ebay that I want to paint black.
mburkit wrote:I just wanted to add something to this thread because I've only ever seen one person add this to their pack.

There seems to be a large spacer on the top bolt holding the ALICE frame to the Motherboard.
Agreed. I also mention this in a wall of text on page 3 of this post (with pic references).
mikegbfan2009 wrote:2. Anybody know what that black looking blob is between the motherboard and frame on the GB1 packs? There's clearly a large gap between the two running the length of the pack and it's not obvious to me what the attachment point is up top.
It's nice to see all this ino on the alice pack frames. They have changed little over the years. I have bought several and noticed that the kidney pads, straps, and belts have several different versions. I finally got the ones I wanted after a little research. It just doesn't look good having camo on a proton pack. I used my old issued straps originally but did not like them. The od green is more accurate to the time.
Does it affect the kidney pad if the waist strap isn't part of the kidney pad

The current waist strap I have has the kidney pad and waist strap together...I just purchased a LC1 QR waist strap? Will I be able to fit it and have the strap and kidney pad seperate?
cheers for the reply! was going to cut off the waist strap from the kidney pad but was worried about how id fix the waist strap on!! Its those horrible big black buckle which arnt accurate to any movie. Couldnt find the lc2 buckle that appeared in the movie so will settle for the lc1...
New ALICE frames are pretty rare. When it's new it's usually mil-spec, aftermarket stuff, and the quality takes a serious drop. Plus the mil-spec frames are too small.

Push comes to shove you do what I did: you buy one in mint condition and you give the straps a good wash. :)
found a good source for original LC1 Alice frames with straps. 52 shipped in us

http://armedforcesmcss.us/cart.php?targ ... gory_id=41

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]