This is just my 2 cents but I wouldn't sand/cut your eda disks off. The Heros had them cast in and I think the 330 shell looks good as is. You could always carefully drill the middle and insert a rivet into the fibreglass and then cover/blend it in with miliput. I wish I'd left mine as they were originally.
FunkPunkTwang liked this
julz wrote:This is just my 2 cents but I wouldn't sand/cut your eda disks off. The Heros had them cast in and I think the 330 shell looks good as is. You could always carefully drill the middle and insert a rivet into the fibreglass and then cover/blend it in with miliput. I wish I'd left mine as they were originally.
This is actually one of my concerns as well... good to know that I might actually not have to do it... ah, options options...
julz wrote:You could always carefully drill the middle and insert a rivet into the fibreglass and then cover/blend it in with miliput. I wish I'd left mine as they were originally.
I may have been overly cautious but had some concern the rivet pull might crack the gelcoat so I just removed the pin and epoxied the rivet head into the 1/8-inch hole.
Phew! That's a load off. I think I'll look at Julz's suggestion about the rivets. I just looked at the Spengler hero pack and also at a photo of my pack (not at home) they don't look bad as they are now. I saw bishop's build about doing that. I think the only detail missing now would be a slight indent from the hole in the rivet right?

Something to think about while I'm working today.
Ya broski i agree with all the statements thus far about the eda discs.
PssdffJay wrote:Phew! That's a load off. I think I'll look at Julz's suggestion about the rivets. I just looked at the Spengler hero pack and also at a photo of my pack (not at home) they don't look bad as they are now. I saw bishop's build about doing that. I think the only detail missing now would be a slight indent from the hole in the rivet right?

Something to think about while I'm working today.
That is exactly what is missing, a little rivet indent. You try that option first and see where it gets you. The rivet is mostly covered up by puttty and blended in anyway :cool:
I actually lucked out on those. I found this hole in the wall, bolt place that usually only supplies companies but it must have been a slow day. This little old man on a crutch was very helpful. I would ask for a such and such and he would hobble away for 5 minutes and come back with an old dusty box. The only thing he didn't have were slotted fillister. I had to order those from someone else. The only problem with those is that they are 1 1/2" long and will need to be cut down.
I took yesterday off and continued on today. I wanted to drill out the hole in the crank generator and figure out how to connect the 3/4" loom. I took some ideas from some suggestions here and ran with this idea.

First I marked out the hole and started to drill and forgot to take a photo. So here it is cause no one knows what I'm talking about without it. ;)

And now like magic, it's bigger!

While I was at Home Depot during one of my many trips last week, I planned ahead and hit the plumbing isle looking for some kind of PVC pipe to slide a 3/4" dowel in. I picked up a few different types if pieces and decided to use this one.

Well actually not really that one, but it looked just like it except it didn't have the little piece out the bottom.

Then I started to grind it down with my dremel to get it to fit.

There was more grinding done after but basically I was making it into a wedge shape so that I could do this.

And then I cut a piece of dowel and stuck it in the loom.

The hole wasn't big enough so I had to grind it out. The little attachment arm thing is great for that! I held my vacuum hose in one hand, dremel in the other and it sucked up all the dust while I worked.

Round enough.

Now I can do this.

In the same photo you can see I have it tacked with some hot glue but I'll get some epoxy action later.

Some test shots.

It does stick out far, like away from the shell, the dowel in the vacuum line may be a little tall and hold it too far out.

I think it looks good from this angle though.

I was thinking of putting in a bolt through the plastic into the dowel but it's holding really tight so far. This way I can easily remove the loom and dowel it I need to.
I also just drilled 2 little indents in the EDA discs. In a 1/8" rivets, the pin fits into about a 5/64 hole. So I marked, punched and drilled a little hole in each, but to me it almost looks like the top has a slight countersink so I touched the hole with my 3/32" bit. I think it looks ok. A bit odd because of the whit from the shell but it should look good when I paint.

Thoughts?

Marked.

Drilled with and empty rivet for reference.

rays_occult liked this
Bloody brilliant on attaching the loom!
halliwax wrote:Looks really good jay! Do u happen to know the extract length of the hose from the crank box, or is this something we have to eye when putting together?
It's about 14.5". Give or take, it's stretchy.
I got a bit more done today. I wanted to drill out the holes in the injector tubes and shell for the tubing. I had to remove my bumper for that. :(

I had to pump up the brightness on that photo. I marked it out in pencil based on where Julz drilled his. I actually scaled a photo from his build on my iPad and used a ruler to figure out where it goes. Thanks Julz!! I hope it's right, I'm sure he is!

And then I screwed it. My step bit went for a bit of a walk. At least it went in and not out. I did center punch but I guess I need to start drilling out a small hole with a regular bit first. I think it's still fine, just not exactly where I wanted it. At least there both consistent.

I cut some loom and gave it a test fit. It is very tight! I have to pull it from inside the shell to get it in.

Then I had to remove the injector tubes to drill out those holes. I did not use the barbs, I drilled these out to 1/4" to fit the tubes inside.

Pre marked! Thanks Vin!

And drilled.

Tubes and loom attached. How in the heck are you all keeping the loom from sliding? A bit of tape on the tube? This is the red and blue tubing from the GBFans shop but I will be looking for some Nycoil tubing for it.

And just the tubes pulled through the inside. Not cut to size yet while I dry fit everything. Snug!

While I was in the tubing mood I started on the red tube from the HGA to the straight and the straight to the elbow.

I pulled off those little caps and drilled them out. No safety squint here, put on the glasses! These things splintered and got everywhere!

Drilled out to 3/16".

Now I ran into a decision. I have the red tubing from the gbfans store and I have a Nycoil red tube I got from MMM I believe. The gbfans tube will fit through the vintage straights if I want to have this all as one piece but the OD is slightly too small to stay in the ID of the replica elbows. The Nycoil red tube fits in the elbows, but won't go all the way through the vintage straights. It will however go through the replica gbfans straights. I haven't decided what I want to do yet but I know I'm not going to drill out my vintage straights. I may just make it 2 pieces of tube. So drilling out those caps was probably a waste of time. Oh well. We'll see.

I didn't want to cut anything yet, so I did a mock up with the gbfans as 1 piece and use some green tape to hold them in the elbows.

It is red, just doesn't look it in this photo.

And a pull back.

Yikes, would you clean off that table already!?

Get off my back would ya!

Jeep is going into the shop tomorrow so I should be able to get some work done while I'm stuck at home.
Well you're just chugging right along, Jay! Awesome job on the crank gen attachment. You took what I was first attempting to do and failed at, and nailed it.

And I forgot, what brand of elbows are you using?? Those look like Nickatrons...
Thanks! A little bit every day and good thing I'm a night owl and never actually sleep. I get a lot done and midnight which is why I post so late with updates.

The elbows were from the run of 3D printed ones that AJ did through the store. (I'm guessing it was AJ anyway).

They're pretty good looking. Not as smooth as a resin part would be but if you can't tell then bonus. I could have sanded them but... I didn't.

Your crank gen attachment is what gave me the idea. Not perfect, but it is doing what I want it to do. Thanks for the inspiration!
Last edited by PssdffJay on July 8th, 2014, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Had to be up and stupid o clock to take the jeep in so I figured I should work while the weather is cooler.

I roughed out the length of the red tube from the beam line to the HGA. It's on loose and will need to be cut down at assembly and pushed on to the barbs. Hopefully I didn't cut the loom too short. Pretty sure it'll be good. That was one thing I forgot to buy a back up of from the GBFans store. Looks like a trip to Princess Auto may be in store.

Looks fine in the photo but is got some slack to take out if it's supposed to be as tight as I think it looks in the reference photos.

And then, disaster!! :(

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]