By n0c00lgamertag
Nice build thread so far. Do you have a link to the "nuts and bolts" list you were talking about, and/or that screen shot of the shopping cart that you could post? I'm gathering my stuff as we speak but haven't got the tiny pieces yet...
By PssdffJay
This is the thread. http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 83#p367428

I ended up ordering both the "small" and "big" lists as well as all the Gb1 list. And I ordered double just in case. It's really cheap compared to some of the things I have bought for my pack so I figure having extra is ok. Too bad gEkX is absent right now or I would have just ordered the sets from him.
By PssdffJay
Krenzy wrote:Move to America; shipping's better ;)
Very true, and that's the eventual plan. But I have free health care.

I would like to move somewhere in Northern California. Not too hot, not too cold. I love driving around in my jeep with no doors and no top so it's got to be nice weather. Calgary only has a couple months you can do that. I did go almost 30 days straight last summer without having to put the roof and doors on and having it parked outside.
By PssdffJay
So I threw on GB2 on Netflix and sat down to actually take inventory of my accumulated parts and get some organization and I forgot that I had ordered grips from MMM. So there is a BIG difference between my brown Nickatron grips and the grey MMM ones. I want to go brown in the end for the weathering but here are a couple photos so you can see.

The brown ones are 129 mm long (5 1/16") and 34mm high (1 5/16").

The grey ones are 118mm long (4 5/8") and 31mm high (1 3/16").

I wonder which are closer to screen used. I'll have to check the photos and they compare when my thrower arrives.
By PssdffJay
I measured the Matty ones and they were 121mm and we know they are accurate because they had access to a screen used gun... ;)

They are the resin ones.

Not quite sure what you mean about the thicker end closer to the body. Do you mean only shave 1 side of the grips to make it fit? I would have thought to shave evenly on both sides.
By KagaSakai
PssdffJay wrote:Not quite sure what you mean about the thicker end closer to the body. Do you mean only shave 1 side of the grips to make it fit? I would have thought to shave evenly on both sides.
Nick's grips are the grips you'll want to use. What Enderwigan is tying to covey is that you'll have to cut or shave down only one side of the front grip to make it fit between the gun ear and the lock, which is accurate and can easily be down with a hacksaw. The end that you DON'T trim goes against the lock.
Enderwigan, PssdffJay liked this
By Enderwigan
Yup, and if you look closely one end of Nick's grips are a bit less "meaty" by just a hair. The thicker sides are close to the gun body, both with the front grip and with the back grip. Don't change the back grip at all, just look for the slightly thicker side.
PssdffJay liked this
By PssdffJay
While I wait for parts to arrive some more trap parts came in today. First off are the light kits that irricanian was selling. Looks like he threw in a switch and a red light cover too! Thanks Colin!

Secondly I found some relays on the evilbay. Now, if AJ puts out an email saying these are back in stock in the shop I'm going to be very angry! You can't imagine what I had to do to even buy these. First, they weren't cheap! Second, I had to convince the seller to ship to Canada because he was only willing to ship in the US. C, I had to fill out and submit an end user agreement contract for what I wanted them for and who the end user would be. (What are these things actually for in real life? I felt like I was asking for plutonium or something!) And finally fourth, customs held them for almost a week and charged me an additional $15. Anyway, here they are.

So no pack updates yet. Waiting on the last of my parts to ship and some screws. I have a 4 day weekend this weekend so maybe I'll be able to find something to do on it in the meantime. I do have my GB2 suit I'm working on to keep my busy too.
By VincentVegaFFF
Nice pack and interesting read.

Im thinking of building one myself and also live in Ontario and if you don't mind talking about it how have the duty charges been for you? I'm particularly concerned about the charges on the GB Fans shell, especially if it comes UPS and has to face their insane brokerage charges. It won't deter me but it would be nice to know if I'm going the have to shell (get it?) out an extra $100 at the door.
By PssdffJay
That was a while ago and I ordered about $7-800 from the gbfans shop all at the same time and it came in 2 packages. I think each one was about $30 each for duties. AJ ships USPS so you won't get hit with UPS's criminal costs.

Living in Canada, unless your close to the boarder like Hoot is and you can have things shipped to yourself in the US, you just got to bite the bullet unfortunately. I wanted to be a Ghostbuster when I grew up (didn't we all?) and now that I have the funds, I really stopped worrying about how much it costs. I've even ordered double of some things either because I forgot, or I found a part from someone else that I like better, or I wanted extras just in case. At the end, either I'll have a garage sale on the forum, or I'll build a GB2 semi hero. I'm in the position that I can do this, I didn't drop all the dough on the same day, I've been ordering parts since October, but that's my situation. I don't recommended people go broke doing this, buy as you can. But be careful, it gets addictive. I've stopped keeping track of what I've spent, I have a good idea, but I really just don't care what it costs to make my childhood dream a reality.

Woah! I almost fell off the soap box there!

Back to shipping and duties. Either your going to get hit with duties if you order lots at one time, or spend more on shipping smaller orders without paying duties. Either way, you're going to pay someone. I just take it as it goes. My last 3 or 4 gbfans orders haven't had duties. But that was 3 or 4 orders with shipping charges.

Good luck with your build! It's exciting to see so many of us with builds on the go. I look forward to your build thread!
By VincentVegaFFF
Oh, that's not bad at all. I was worried I would be paying an extra $10-20 for every $50 spent just in duty which would impact my budgeting of the pack. I can live with those charges. Thanks for the info.
By PssdffJay
Small update, my screws finally came in from fastener warehouse. I feel bad for the guy who individually bagged each screw separately and labeled each bag. I was worried it would come all in one big bag. No fillister though. Need to find those locally though to keep shipping costs down.

I also sanded down the top left (when you're looking at it) corner so my shell would fit more flush to the mobo. What a pain. I didn't have a big board or big sheets of sand paper to do what Alex did but I got it flat enough that I can live with it. It's not perfect, a few small gaps still at the top and top left but way better then it came from the shop. I also marked out where to drill the holes to attach to the L brackets and successfully test drilled in some extra aluminum a tapped hole. Not as hard as I thought. It will be different when I'm doing it blind though. I'll do that hopefully tomorrow or Friday night. I need to shower, I'm covered in fibreglass dust.

Edit: With those small gaps, is it possible to fill them in with Apoxie Sculpt? I wonder if i were to put a layer or cling wrap on top of mobo between the shell and fill it in if it would not permanently attach the 2 pieces together. Anyone have any experience doing that? Once I get the shell mounted properly I will be able to see the gaps better.
By PssdffJay
Hoot wrote:Slotted filliser for clippard on gun?
Yes. They had called me and said they don't have slotted only Philips and they would put those in for me. But they didn't. I haven't looked locally yet. Someone has offered to ship me a couple but I'm sure that's not cheap for shipping. Or there was a pound of them on eBay, but I don't need that many.
By PssdffJay
Big update! Well, I think it's big anyway. I drilled, tapped and mounted my shell to my motherboard! A bit of chipping when I threaded the bolts through but I can touch it up. Not a big deal. And, just because I can now, I mounted it to the Alice frame and tried it on for the first time!! I can see how the weight adds up. I kept hitting my n filter on things too. That will be something to get used to.

And photos of boring bolts in a shell but I don't care! It was a big step drilling her for the first time. (You be quiet Hoot! lol)

I think the bolt under where the gun mount will be is probably about 1/4" too high but I didn't want to drill too close to the edge. It was also the first hole I drilled.

And the amazing over the shoulder reflection selfie photo in my hallway closet door!

And no, you're not seeing things. I am wearing an orange t shirt and green camo pyjamas.
By PssdffJay
These are the places where I have a gap. It's about 1/16". I clamped the shell down tight and had sanded the shell to even get it to that gap. It was about 3/16 before that.

The top is more noticeable than the side. When I can start mounting parts I'll reassess the situation and maybe try to Apoxie Sculpt something while I'm doing other touch ups. What have others done about small gaps like that?

Also, how tight are you tightening the bolts that hold the mother board on? Finger tight or actually using a wrench?

I think the project for the weekend will be sand and mount the bumper, figure out how to install Eric's gun mount (Hoot I may be picking your brain on that one), and also figure out how you all have been installing the gbfans bellows GB1 style. I have been having trouble finding info on that.
By Morydees
Great progress. Not entirely sure about the gap as, admittedly, I've got the same thing going on but it was so minor I haven't addressed it yet. As for bolts, finger tight and maybe a quarter turn after is probably as far as you're going to want to go. Over-tightening can be bad news if your shell is anything like mine.
PssdffJay liked this
By Morydees
Yeah, once I painted my edges black it blended in quite a bit better. That said, if there's a relatively safe/easy fix I'd be all ears if someone can recommend it.
By abaka
I wouldn't be worried about gaps. The movie shells weren't perfectly flush with the mobos, and every shell and mobo combination I've ever had has had some issues with little gaps.
PssdffJay liked this
By Hoot
Wow pre-emptive told to be quiet. Awesome!
Looks good brother.
As for Eric's gun mount; his comes with a drilling template I do believe using the reinforcement plate. I eyeballed the placement on the pack and used the reinforcement plate as a template.
PssdffJay liked this
By PssdffJay
Hoot wrote:Wow pre-emptive told to be quiet. Awesome!
Looks good brother.
As for Eric's gun mount; his comes with a drilling template I do believe using the reinforcement plate. I eyeballed the placement on the pack and used the reinforcement plate as a template.
Still love ya, just preempting the jokes on that one comment! ;)

I pulled the gun mount out last night and I was looking at all the parts trying to make sense of it but it was a long day. I'll look again tonight. Thanks for the help.

Good to know about the gaps. The reference section photos I've seen had some gaps but I thought it was due to time and being old.
By Enderwigan
Gaps? That's weird I don't have any gaps, you must be doing it all wrong, lol. No, really to echo others on here it's there in one way or another on all packs I think. I have done some other props in the past, and I know it is tempting to think everything has to be perfect, but the truth is the people who built the props were not perfect. They made mistakes, and covered them up, and I believe the people in this community have actually come up with better ways to build these packs than the original makers. So bottom line, do not sweat it.
As for the GBfans bellows mount, that is pretty easy, I have that in my build thread somewhere if you want to look. Honestly, a very simple part to attach.
PssdffJay liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]