By PssdffJay
Enderwigan wrote:As for the GBfans bellows mount, that is pretty easy, I have that in my build thread somewhere if you want to look. Honestly, a very simple part to attach.
I've got your build saved. It's awesome! I'll look through it again for the bellows.
By PssdffJay
I have figured out how the gun mount goes together, that's for the help! I'm curious about what other people have done with the metal itself. Do you leave it as is? Sand it and clean it up? I've got some of those letters on it that is stamped on the metal that will show. I haven't tried to wash it off. I'll try that now. Just curious, my edges are quite rough.

By Wharin
If you want, hit the edges with a file, then take some steel wool to them, that should take care of the rough edges and anything on the surface. Most leave the vhook mount alone; on my pack, I keep a beat up acid brush in my tool kit, and spraying some of the paint I used on the shell into a Dixie cup, and just gave the outside edge of the hook base a once over with the paint. It looks splotchy and beat up, so I was happy.
PssdffJay liked this
By PssdffJay
Everything has got to be a challenge doesn't it?!

I just finished the install of Ejgunth87's gun mount. None of the following is Eric's fault.

I used some painters tape to line up the template taking into account where the top most holes are going to drill, triple, nay, quadruple check that it looks good and drill my holes. Small bit of chipping. Does that happen to everyone? I'm going slow... I think it's just so close to the edge.

Anyway, I had made sure that the holes would work, but what I didn't check was how the inside plate would sit with the curve on in inside. So I spent an hour and 6 sanding drums with my rotary tool trying to take an 1/8 off of the plate to get it to align with the holes. I eventually got it down enough to start threading the screws. Unfortunately the screws Eric provides are only 1/2" and only just come through on the other side. Again, I know this is because of me and not getting that inside plate in the perfect position. I bet if I had done it right, the screws would be perfect. Luckily, I had the same size screw but 5/8" long and I was able to make that work. I hope I ordered enough extras of those I won't be short some later on when I figure out what they were supposed to be for...

I got the 2 long screws in last, with some struggle because that just happens to be the way I do things, and voila! Done! Yes, I know I need to cut those screws down but I am not taking that f****** thing apart until I'm done with the dry fitting!! Ahem, sorry, need to use my inside voice.

For your viewing pleasure, or comedic relief at my expense, the photos.

You can see the chip from the L bracket mounting hole too.

Lookit that hack job...

Please no one tell me that I mounted it upside down. I might throw something!
By PssdffJay
Just finished mounting my Clippard R-331. Used 8-32 cap head screws and tapped the shell and put on a washer and nut. Again with the chipping but it's hidden.

I was drilling an extra little 1/8 slot for that tab to go in and I missed the first time. But creating the second one accidentally created a little self locking nub that I could drop the Clippard into and twist to lock. But it was a total fluke.

I needed something easy to install after tonight's earlier fiasco.
By NoodleMaps
Things are looking good so far sir. It's why dry mounting everything first is a good idea. All those chips should be easy fixes. You're moving along great. I need to start mounting some of these pieces on mine.
PssdffJay liked this
By Ejgunth87
One thing I learned from my machinist friend- when you're trying to drill a hole that is extremely precise or very fragile, you can't just drill one hole.

Say you had to drill a 3/8" hole for one of the Clippard fittings or Legris straights. I would first use a center punch to mark off where you want to drill. Then use the smallest bit you have to drill the hole. Then use an intermediate sized drill bit, like 1/8", to make a more pronounced hole. From there, I would use the 3/8" bit.

Slowly sizing up the hole will definitely help with cracking of the shell. Also try to use carbide bits, they'll cut a lot easier through the shells.
By NoodleMaps
Ejgunth87 wrote: Slowly sizing up the hole will definitely help with cracking of the shell. Also try to use carbide bits, they'll cut a lot easier through the shells.
That is exactly what I did with most of the holes I drilled on my shell and it worked like a champ. It wasn't until I did the 1/2in" holes that chipping occurred. BUT, and I blame myself for this, I bought the cheapest set of bits they had. Overall, still fixable. And from what I see from the photos PssdffJay posted. All fixable as well.
Ejgunth87, PssdffJay liked this
By PssdffJay
I was starting small and moving up unfortunately. I drilled out the Clippard hole with 5 different bits and it wasn't until the 4th that it chipped and then the 5th really chipped it. I don't know what my bits are made out of but I bought a brand new set specifically for this build because I knew my old set were getting dull. I'll look and see if they are carbide. Good tip, thanks!

I've been drilling the holes on the slow gear on my drill. I read that's better then high gear for fibreglass. Is that right? This is my first fibreglass project.

Going to be lots of little touch ups to be done. Good thing I ordered 1 pound of the Apoxie Sculpt!
By PssdffJay
NoodleMaps wrote:Things are looking good so far sir. It's why dry mounting everything first is a good idea. All those chips should be easy fixes. You're moving along great. I need to start mounting some of these pieces on mine.
Thanks! I don't have the parts yet for the pack that you do so I needed to do something. Watching your build is making me want to get going on mine. This waiting game is brutal, but it'll be worth it when the parts get here.
By Hoot
PssdffJay wrote:
Ejgunth87 wrote:I think it should be on the other side of the pack. Its all wrong
I had to double check after you said that. Jerk. Lol.
Its ok. He did the same thing to me...on all the parts ive bought from him lol
By Ejgunth87
Yeah, ideally you'd want to use one of these-

Not too many people have them, but they do have new ones for sale online. A drill is too powerful for fg. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely do-able, its the torque behind the drill that causes the chipping, not so much the speed of the bit. Thats what makes the above tool ideal to fg and other fragile materials.
PssdffJay liked this
By Wharin
Ejgunth87 wrote:Yeah, ideally you'd want to use one of these-

Not too many people have them, but they do have new ones for sale online. A drill is too powerful for fg. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely do-able, its the torque behind the drill that causes the chipping, not so much the speed of the bit. Thats what makes the above tool ideal to fg and other fragile materials.
cool, pick one up for the shop so WE can stop chipping shells too, mmmmkay?
Ejgunth87 liked this
By PssdffJay
So it looks like the bits are not carbide. Just the mastercraft maximum. Which went on sale 50% since I bought them so I need to go get half my money back.

I'll have to look for some carbide bits.
By PssdffJay
So true, all my wrenches and the like have been mastercraft and on sale. Luckily they do reimburse the difference if you buy it full price and it goes on sale 14 days after.

I'm having trouble finding carbide drill bit sets. Are they only sold individually?
By PssdffJay
Unfortunately, I do not live in the US :sigh: . The Canadian stores don't carry them. That was the first place I looked. All I can find are singles, or Rona has a 7 piece concrete drill bit set that is carbide but in comparison to the individual bit prices, it is very cheap.
By PssdffJay
Yep. It's 10 feet from the front door of my office. Not seeing anything on their site when I search carbide.

Ah ha, but now that I searched just drill bit, they have some carbide tipped masonry bits. Weird that their search bar doesn't find it. I'll head over there now.
Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]