Some reference notes for anyone else that finds themselves in my situation in the future.

Bear in mind this is my first build of a wand so I don't know how much of this was expected but the instructions provided from the 2014 build thread didn't clarify any of it or were out of date.

Since both grips are stand alone now, I had to wet sand the rear grip down to taper it to fit the pipe and I had to drill and countersink holes for the rear grip. I also had to get bolts of the same size but were 5/8'' long instead as the ones provided were much too short.

The front grip is the difficult part. I'm not sure if it was cut incorrectly but the front grip is about 1/4'' short along the entire front handle. On top of that the raised channel along the handle prevents the grip from sitting flush.

I had to wet sand the raised channel down until I was able to get the grip to sit close enough to the body of the handle, and now I'm extending the grip with miliput so it goes the entirety of the length of the handle so I can actually attach it with some bolts as intended.

Lastly it looks like the bar graph window on the gun body is way too small to fit the bar graph supplied on the GBFans shop so I'm going to have to figure out how to cut that hole open larger.

If anyone has suggestions on cutting it to size, please let me know!
Depending on how much you need to enlarge the bargraph slot you can should mark out the size it needs to go to, then either cut most of the way with a dremel or similar, then finish it up with files checking regularly so you get a real snug fit and don't take too much out.
CaptainAssholay liked this
Both good tips, thanks! It took the better part of the day but with a lot of sanding and some milliput I have the front handle in a better spot.

I plan on using a filler primer to fill out the tiny imperfections on the pieces like in the instructional video. What's the best grit to smooth that out before applying the paint layers? I think the highest I have on hand is 1000 or 1200. Do I need one of those auto polishing grade grits? Outisde of prop assembly, proper painting technique and prep is my biggest skill gap. :blush:
On mine I just bought a fender washer that was roughly the same size as the disc, put the S-hook around the disk and then used the washer to hold the S-hook down. That way it gives the same effect as the originals with the disc flipped upside down and the bottom unpainted but you don’t have to cut/dremel off the molded on disc.
cristovalc liked this
My thrower finally gave up the ghost. Probably about to snag this kit. Anyone got any pointers or words of advice before doing this build?
I love the look of this kit, and it's particularly appealing to me that the screw holes are all pre-drilled. That's the biggest reason I stay away from BOK's stuff, for example - I don't want to drill a couple millimeters off and ruin the whole thing.

I'm curious, though; would this accept aluminum parts from the GBFans store, or from Mack's factory? It would be cool to get one of these kits, and then bit by bit, as finances allow, upgrade from plastic/resin parts to aluminum.
Peeno liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]