By Pookie0102
I have always wanted a proton pack and I want one that will make people say wow! I currently only have a couple hundred bucks saved up and I have no idea how to build one or how to install the electronics. I'm not the best at reading up how to build up especially since electronics seem very complicated and I'm afraid to mess it up. I would love some help or advice or something. I hope to be a ghostbuster this halloween and head to the firehouse downtown because I think they do something there every year. Thanks, -Gabe.
By Kingpin
The first piece of advice I can suggest is read some of the most recent topics on the forum, as there's a couple of Proton Pack builds currently being documented, which hopefully should give you a bit of insight into how to assemble one. Study the links on the equipment page to famaliarise yourself with the part names and the various components of a Pack.

The next, is be prepared for the possibility that a Pack you'll be assembling may not be ready in time for this Halloween. Pack parts aren't always available all the time, and it's not uncommon that it could take a few months to acquire the pieces needed. Even commissioning a Pack from a prop maker can take months depending on how busy they are.

What you may wish to consider is to purchase a Spirit Pack for Halloween 2020 (especially as we have no idea what Halloween is going to be like in lieu of the pandemic), and you start collecting the pieces for the Pack you'll be wearing for Halloween 2021.
Pookie0102 liked this
By GBfan77
I agree with Kingpin. If this is your first time I'd go with a spirit pack. I wish they were out back in 2012 when I built my first pack because it would've saved me some headaches. Most of the assembly work is already done, so if you're on a budget that's a good thing. If you are electronically inclined you can swap out the pack's electronics or if you are not you can simply leave them as it is.

To add to what Kingpin has said, be mindful of the weight of the pack. Depending on what materials you use these things can be heavy. I don't know how much a 100% screen accurate pack weighs but my wooden and Teflon pack weighs about thirty five pounds and it's hard on my lower back if I wear it for more than an hour, which is why I retired it and modded a spirit.

Necessity is the mother of invention, so if it's not in the budget to get screen accurate parts be creative. With my second attempt at a pack I used materials that people told me flat out wouldn't work. As it turned out they worked just fine.

Above all, have fun and try not to get discouraged.
Kingpin, Pookie0102 liked this
By Pookie0102
Thank you all for your help! I will be going with a Benofkent pack kit and building it myself even if it takes me forever. I know that there is tons of reference and even help on this awesome site, go big or go home right? Thanks again. -Gabe.
Kingpin liked this
By Kingpin
Excellent to hear, Gabe. I know it can seem daunting at first, but there's a really rewarding sense of accomplishment when you put your Pack together. And by all means, fire away with any questions that come to mind, as that's what the forum's here for. :)
Pookie0102 liked this
By ccv66
I like the spirit packs, but would much rather see someone put effort and money into a kit. However walking around with an expensive pack and bumping into people isn't a lot of fun . The wand is definitely the hardest part of the the build especially if you want to add all the bell and whistles. Depending when you get the kit and how much free time you have and how gun ho you are to be done by Halloween, you may want to consider get the Hasbro wand, until you can finish benofkent wand. I've rushed to be done by Halloween before and it took some of the fun and quality out of it.

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker scen[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]