Greetings everyone,

I've started printing the parts for a proton pack that I found on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2479141

Here's the cyclotron, the first of pieces printed:

I'll work through a bunch of the other parts before posting more to the WIP. I intend to fiberglass the 3D printed shell and do all the necessary surface prep. Seems shells are either hard to come by or priced outside my range. Hopefully the 3D printed route will A) give me proton pack building exp and B) give me something to do until a more popular shell is available. I figure the base shape should be acceptable and then find some nice parts for flair.

I've ordered Spengler's Wand from Hasbro and it's awesome! However, I think I'll do a similar thing of printing the body and collecting the parts for the wand. I'm good at prep, assembly, and paint, but I don't know much for electronics. I'd like to get a proton pack tricked out but I figure a painted and assembled pack is step one. Look the part.

Question about the motherboard: Any issue with fitment and 3D printed files?

I'm concerned if I get the GBFans motherboard, I'll need a GBFans shell (or other recommended shell) to fit properly. Seeing as I'm a ways off from assembling and fiberglassing my own shell, I thought I'd bring this up if anyone has insight on the topic.

Anyone in the Bay Area have a GBFans motherboard I could test fit parts on?
Perhaps one for sale?

I didn't expect to start this WIP until I was further along, but found I had some questions and figured I'd get it started.
Who's files are you using? If you use the Mr Kiou files then I believe they fit the GBFans motherboard. There's a great facebook group that will be able to provide advice too, called 3D Printed Ghostbusters Props.
tobycj wrote: April 28th, 2021, 10:08 am Who's files are you using? If you use the Mr Kiou files then I believe they fit the GBFans motherboard. There's a great facebook group that will be able to provide advice too, called 3D Printed Ghostbusters Props.
I'm using the link above by maker "MileyORiley". These were all I could find but appear comprehensive based on my limited knowledge of the props right now. I imagine after I get through the first build I'll figure out more or less what's 'correct'. I'm basing the appearance of the shell off of the GBFans and Mack's shell, visually anyway. I hope it's in the realm of correct and fits the parts I acquire, or I'll print them scaled appropriate. I'm hoping the files I have just do the job with little more than print and prep required.

I don't have Facebook unfortunately. I left so I couldn't join groups thereby preventing me from buying new costumes and props (but we see how good thats doing lol) I may end up picking up the motherboard and upgrade shells. I can't imagine I'll stop with just one proton pack build, or at least spend some time upgrading the first. I've never printed a proton pack, nor have I really studied one in person. This is all new ground for me. Hopefully the size works out, if not, then I have a stunt pack for a family member or a display piece for kicks.
Thanks so much for that reference! I've book marked it for later. I have a feeling I will want to revisit files and compare differences, to those of the resin versions too.

I've printed off another segment of the pack. So far so good and looks like I'm going to build this shell no matter what. I may print a second shell based on Mr. Kiou's files once I have a better understanding of what I'm looking at. Right now all the pack stuff is jargon haha. I'm just slamming out files in chunks. I'll let the printer take a break when I have a serviceable shell in hand.

Here's where I'm at presently. A few more files cooking on the printer for tomorrow morning.

Spacers were printed and assembled:

I think I'm going to print the larger more obvious parts. There are a few metal greeblies I'd like to just have to help sell the illusion. Anything black and part of the shell will get lost in the mix wether its metal, resin, or plastic. I guess this part of the costume build will be like 85-90% printed parts.

More to come! I suppose I could also finish this 3D shell, then trace out a motherboard for a scratch build. Currently lacking that motivation, but we'll see as I get more desperate/closer to the finish line.

quick note: this file has itty bitty spacers that are part of the print. Seems you can print these things and click the pack together. I don't have that kind of patience so I just aligned the slots and used CA glue and accelerator. Huzzah. Super quick. I even used this to reinforce the seams of the prints. In the end though, I'm going to fiberglass and bondo the whole thing. should be rock solid.

tobycj liked this
Finally got most, if not all, of the proton pack parts printed. Huzzah. Here's a dry fit.

There are a number of items for the pack that will be aluminum, but large items and certain greeblies will be printed. Equipment order is in on GBfans! Huzzah. Now we wait, or get to work finishing the shell. Super excited! I ordered a GB2 ribbon cable just so I can complete the build, but I'd like to have a GB1 ribbon cable.

I have Spengler's wand in the photo for size reference. Does that look about right? I've never paid this much attention to a proton pack before, heh. I've started printing the neutrona wand and already seeing notable differences to the Hasbro model.

Here's some in progress body work. It's not much. Bondo filler sanded with 80 grit then filler primed. That was a lot more sanding than I expected. The pieces were quite large and lots of seams to fill along with the occasional print line.

Last thing on the update is the 3D printed wand compared to the Hasbro version. Already seeing differences in size and placement of... everything. BUT! I'm committed. Going all in on the 3D file I selected at the get-go and will see how it goes. So far so good.

Not much of an update, but a milestone to the build: Proton pack shell assembled! GBFans order is in and should be shipping in a few weeks. This should cover all the proton pack accessories and bits. Still have to look into electronics but I'm hoping to have some awesome sound quality.

Waiting on a day to fiberglass the shell and will find some time to assemble the particle thrower. It's finished printing and will need a few accessories to finish it out, but somewhere in this photo is a neutrona wand.

Kingpin wrote: May 24th, 2021, 3:43 am I'm concerned about the voids created in the Synchronous Generator by the disks for the Clippard Valve and the hose to the Gear Box, wouldn't having such large holes compromise the strength of the S.G?
There are two pieces that attach over the holes (not pictured) and I'll be adding a fiberglass layer to the shell interior, which should make it structurally sound and fill those gaps.

Good point though. There were a number of parts that had the tops detached and I think it was the file maker reducing the need for printing supports or slicing models. The simplicity of the design was what drew me towards this particular file. I hope to pick up another reputable makers shell one day when they're in stock and build a second one.
Kingpin liked this
Just noticed that I didn't finish this build log. So, a quick catch up :)

When I started this build, I struck off on my own, regrettably, found an easy to print set. By the time I figured out what I was doing, I was past the point of no return and decided to finish the quest.

First up is the neutrona wand WIP. I didn't finish this piece, but it's not far from complete. I'll just use the Spengler/Hasbro wand for the look until I find a kit to build into. I used it as a reference, and it's not too bad, but not where I want it to be. The side opens up and electronics can be added. Maybe a rainy day.

on to the pack!

I fiberglassed the shell, trimmed it back and put a primer on the back. Filler primer on the top and sand, sand, sand.

I went with a wall texture spray to mimic the look, masked off a few bits that shouldn't get it.

I put down a black I liked on everything.

This next bit was just a sprint and I didn't document much of it simply because others have done it much better and you should check out their work instead, hahaha. I'm just finishing the build so I can call it good enough and start a new one.

For at least the "look", I put in some screen repair tabs and red acrylic on the cyclotron. A bit of back lighting and it'll do the trick.

and the last bit, all kind of together, minus the motherboard and a few other things.

I've mounted it to a frame and cut a plastic motherboard from 6mm pvc, which, hopefully works for a few times I take it out a year.

Oh. THIS next bit. ugh.

I ordered a mother board from GBfans, arrived in a timely manner, looked awesome. Solid. ...didn't fit the pack, cause apparently the measurements were... not the same.

It hurt. lol. but hey, now I have a motherboard for that other proton pack shell I'm planning to get, that isn't 3D printed, and will be more accurately sized. Huzzah. Fun first pack build, maybe my wife or kid will wear it.

Here's it's present state, just waiting on finishing details.
No, not my intent at all. Just printed each file as it was. I had no reference to build from besides images, no measurements. At least until I started doing actual research, but at that point I was already in the thick of it. I guess the smaller packs are great for a lot of folks, but I'd want a hero sized pack for myself. But again, that was sort of the goal: do an inexpensive build to learn the ropes and use for the costume, then build more of the museum replica type over time.

There are far more advanced models with detailed measurements on every item. This one was straight forward with all files included in an easy to print and build format. Fiberglassing the shell was the biggest hurdle besides buying parts -- to note, every item was available to be printed, but I figured to help sell the 'look', certain parts should be metal, and worst case I can rip it out and move it to a hero pack upgrade :D

I'm definitely building another pack. It's documented very well and there are some fine quality replicas and found parts for just about everything. And I gotta say, the stickers! That's what does it for me. The decals take it to the next level. Light and sound? Even more. I have the electronics, just have to take the time to install them and like most, I'm procrastinating because I don't have any events that would require a proton pack.

It's a rainy day type of build now. Weathering and detailing when the time is right. Maybe a Ghostbuster build party if one happens to be in my area.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]