Little update on the ITT Connector that is used on the Afterlife pack. I have not personally found one yet, but while doing some research, I found some Cannon Electric Catalog pages from 1948, which shows the accurate connector. I figured I'd share.

This is why this part is so rare: they are from 1948 and I can only imagine that the majority of them have been replaced for updated, modern parts over the last 70 years.

Happy Hunting!
Kingpin, RedSpecial, Glenn Frederick and 2 others liked this
tobycj wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:46 am Have you found if it has an NSN at all? Might help with trying to track down what it was fitted to if it was used in any military applications.
From my understanding (and I could be wrong), but this is before NSN numbers were being used for military equipment.

EDIT: looked up and found that they started using NSN numbers in 1949. So there maybe a NSN number for this part, but honestly, I have no idea what it is or even how to look it up.
Kingpin wrote: August 10th, 2021, 11:23 am It's like film productions go out of their way to get the rarest, most expensive bits of kit/costume out there, in order to frustrate the prop replicating fans as much as possible.
It's either that, or the polar opposite. "Oh hey this looks cool" in a surplus bin and it just turns out that way lol
mburkit, RedSpecial, Jimsy33 and 1 others liked this
I was just browsing and noticed you guys might have some questions I can solve. I am an expert in Mil-Spec parts. I don't know all the details, but I looked up MS3102E16S-4S (mentioned earlier) and found the NSN is most likely 5935-01-225-1987 or 5935-00-814-4115. Let me know if you have any more questions.
mburkit, Kingpin, tobycj and 1 others liked this
Bluecrusader wrote: August 10th, 2021, 1:40 pm I was just browsing and noticed you guys might have some questions I can solve. I am an expert in Mil-Spec parts. I don't know all the details, but I looked up MS3102E16S-4S (mentioned earlier) and found the NSN is most likely 5935-01-225-1987 or 5935-00-814-4115. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Hey, thank you for the support! I think the issue we have is that the part we are trying to find is from the 1940's. The part number of this part has not really changed over the years, but the design of the part has. We have been trying to source a part with the part number either AN3106A16S-4P or MS3106A16S-4P or 973106A16S-4P. Once again, these part numbers are slightly different depending on the year of the part or the manufacturer, but the style of the connector has changed over the years too. So I am unsure if having the NSN number would even help, because I feel like it will just point us to the modern equivalent part.
Bluecrusader liked this
Do you know which "class" you need for sure? Its the letter in the middle of the part number (A, E, K, W, etc).
Which facebook group is having a similar discussion?

I think the "class" more or less defines what the general shape will be, and the rest of the code will be the size. For example, AN3106AXXXX probably won't have the wire clamp with screws, but MS3106F will have that clamp with screws (if that is what you are looking for).
The one individual I know that owns a real Cannon connector, TJ Becker, AKA "Prop-Forge" on Ebay, allowed me to share this photo of a real connector de-constructed.

The 2 "clam shell" halves clamp around the core, then the threaded coupling is slipped over the clam shells, with the threaded tapered ring screwed on behind the threaded coupling to hold it all together.
I was wondering about that recently too, because I did the same thing on my pack but now couldn't even find a reference to it when I was comparing it to other models. Just seems like one of those things that one person did and it just sort of became a thing on other fan build packs. I mean it makes more sense than the jankey weld up by the ion arm, but yeah. Ah well!
I mean, I guess we can't 'know' what the makers intended for certain, but in my mind it was 100% dressed up to look like a weld joint.

All of the hero packs have it in GB1.

Most of the packs didn't have it in GB2. Maybe they had to remove it when they refurbished them, or wanted to match the look of the new shells they cast.

But... some say, on dark and dreary nights, you can still see it on the superhero pack to this day.

Personally I think the weathered aluminum edge looks cooler.
I'm building one of these Afterlife packs and still have hundreds of questions.

1) One of the new parts is 9mm spring clamps, but I haven't yet seen where they go.
2) There are two new hoses/wire looms - the one that plugs in the top of the cyclotron in front of the ribbon cable, and the one that plugs into the side of the booster box.
a) Do both of those just go into the hole that the ribbon cable goes into?
b) I know what the new front version that plugs into the cyclotron consists of, but what kind of a hose/wire goes from the booster box back into the body? Can't get a clear shot of it anywhere.
3) Just to verify, the switch under the crank gen is black?
4) Sure would like to get some more info on the heat sink and how the wire is wrapped around it, etc.
5) More detail on all the new wiring around the Clippard valve, how it's connected and where it goes would also be really helpful.
6) Is it confirmed that the Legris straights have been replaced by the compression unions?
oxrageous wrote: August 27th, 2021, 10:17 am So, there's now no weld on the bottom of the booster tube, is that right?
There's no weld on the bottom of the Booster Tube. There's nothing to weld the booster tube to there; as the shell is made of fiberglass.

With that stated, at one point, several of the packs had hot glue on the bottom of the booster tube that was painted black. Here is a shot of the Super Hero pack when it was on display in the Sony Lobby. I believe the Murray pack at one point had this too (probably for casting purposes for the GB2 semi-heros).

cristovalc liked this
oxrageous wrote: August 28th, 2021, 7:25 am I'm building one of these Afterlife packs and still have hundreds of questions.
1) One of the new parts is 9mm spring clamps, but I haven't yet seen where they go.
- They hold together the copper colored wires that come off the clippard disc, and possibly the copper wires off the booster tube
2) There are two new hoses/wire looms - the one that plugs in the top of the cyclotron in front of the ribbon cable, and the one that plugs into the side of the booster box.
a) Do both of those just go into the hole that the ribbon cable goes into?
b) I know what the new front version that plugs into the cyclotron consists of, but what kind of a hose/wire goes from the booster box back into the body? Can't get a clear shot of it anywhere.
- Yes they appear to go into the ribbon cable hole. The type of black wire is unidentified but looks to be either 1/4" or 3/8", similar to like a coaxial cable that you'd use on your TV/Modem.
3) Just to verify, the switch under the crank gen is black?
I've heard it's red, it's unclear in the Adam savage video.
4) Sure would like to get some more info on the heat sink and how the wire is wrapped around it, etc.
Adam savage video is the only official reference right now.
5) More detail on all the new wiring around the Clippard valve, how it's connected and where it goes would also be really helpful.
It seems that most of the wires go to the ribbon cable hole but a few may actually go into a small hole below the clippard disc, again I'd wait for more reference before doing any additional drilling
6) Is it confirmed that the Legris straights have been replaced by the compression unions?
That is the general consensus
oxrageous wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:15 pm How about this connector? Anyone know for sure?
That is just the bottom half of the strain relief. The bottom piece unscrews from the top. It looks like they used the bottom half of it for that connector on the cyclotron.

kahuna900 liked this
I love these threads. I also agree with Ben and lament about how hard some of this stuff is to source at times. Thankfully we have a lot of amazing talent that can make files available. Also I don;t know if this has been mentioned but we're all in agreement that the "Spengler" pack is more or less the "hulkbuster" due to all the add-ons that the other packs don't seem to have.
Kingpin, jarana2 liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]