By Theoderic
Welsh Pirate wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:03 am
I've always wondered if those symbols on the front panel switches had real meanings to them, but I could never figure out the right search to find out. Could you elaborate on why you're saying the upper switch is for aux systems? I still can't really find anything for that label. Also, doesn't "auxiliary systems" usually refer to extra features or backups, not stuff necessary for primary functional operation?

I'm also not understanding how a power switch for the power generators would qualify as an intermediate switch. From my understanding, intermediate switches are for a three-way switch system. Like, so you can turn the same light on/off from three different locations without having to worry about what position the other switches are in relative to each other. A regular ON/OFF switch would only be needed to operate the power generator. Or a two-way switch system between the pack and wand would make sense. But a third, intermediate switch would be kinda useless.
Well - maybe somebody else ma already have stated this (so, sorry i case i'd have missed that) i my eyes, these symbols look pretty much like the iconography used by military (nato-forces) as symbols for various military-units, for tactical purposes on maps an even vehicles themselves - so the lower switch on the wand may as well call the mechanized infantry to show up as well :-P:wink:

Try an google for "military units tactical signs" and you'll find some very similar symbols (or combinations of them). And since i recall the overall design of the proton-packs was supposed to be inspired by "military-surplus" components 'n stuff, it wouldn't be too unreasonable to have some actual real-life military iconography choosen to actually decorate the equipment. :arrow:

I mean - look at all the warning-labels on the ecto-1...many (if not the most) of them make no actual sense at all, in regards to where they've been put at. They're choosen to be there by the prop-department just for looks and to produce a certain visual aesthetic only...

So i guess, that's the thing with these icons on the thrower as well.
Welsh Pirate liked this
By Welsh Pirate
Theoderic wrote: April 21st, 2022, 9:38 am Well - maybe somebody else ma already have stated this (so, sorry i case i'd have missed that) i my eyes, these symbols look pretty much like the iconography used by military (nato-forces) as symbols for various military-units, for tactical purposes on maps an even vehicles themselves - so the lower switch on the wand may as well call the mechanized infantry to show up as well :-P:wink:

Try an google for "military units tactical signs" and you'll find some very similar symbols (or combinations of them). And since i recall the overall design of the proton-packs was supposed to be inspired by "military-surplus" components 'n stuff, it wouldn't be too unreasonable to have some actual real-life military iconography choosen to actually decorate the equipment. :arrow:

I mean - look at all the warning-labels on the ecto-1...many (if not the most) of them make no actual sense at all, in regards to where they've been put at. They're choosen to be there by the prop-department just for looks and to produce a certain visual aesthetic only...

So i guess, that's the thing with these icons on the thrower as well.
That's a good point. They could've been from the assortment of surplus labels they were using. Or if the dry rub decals were custom made, they could have been based off of something seen in an old military manual or something. Either way, they probably weren't counting on all us weirdos obsessing over every label and trying to make sense of them.

Though I think I've come around to One Time's opinion on what makes the most sense as a functional machine:

Pack switch - Kill switch
Bottom switch - Start power generators
Top switch - Start auxiliary systems
ACTIVATE switch - Start cyclotron
Green lever - Firing safety

But I'll go against the grain by saying that, in my opinion, the red momentary button on the front barrel ear makes more sense to me as a firing trigger than the INTENSIFY button does.
One time liked this
I have my pack setup for both. The switch on the pack makes the powering on sound, but no idle hum. When I switch the wand on, I get the idle hum and basically ready to fire. So yeah, both is great.
Proton Props UK

Sure! As soon as I got my pack I will post the pic[…]

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]