For users in: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, & Wyoming.
I was born in Seattle, but I haven't been there in almost 30 years... Only person here that I know of off the top of my head from that area is Lunoki/Tara Duffin... Did a quick search on Facebook and I didn't find a local group out of there... Perhaps you can ask Tara...
Press and Duffin are up that way. They're good people.

Not sure how tight the local group is. From what I've seen on Facebook, Chicago has much larger, more active group. But if someone from Seattle wants to set me straight on that, by all means...

I've got a friend from college that lives on Capitol Hill. It's a decent neighborhood, but the rent sounds like it's bit crazy. Apparently all the new Amazon employees moving into the area and messing with housing.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/is-a ... d=19751290

Driving in Seattle can be a bit difficult. Sure, the Kennedy can be it's own batch of fun in traffic -- but Seattle has bridges to bottleneck things even worse. You'll be used to some of the aggressive drivers, but the oblivious ones will drive you up a wall.

Keeping in close proximity to your place of work be might be recommended. Not sure what neighborhoods are decent and affordable right now, but I've had some friends talk about Georgetown and West Seattle. From what I've seen, those areas are spotty -- and that might be better for renting, not owning.

In short, I know just enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but a local really needs to get on this thread and lay it all out.
Alan Hawkins liked this
freudiandave wrote:I'm coming in on this REALLY late, but if you still want some info about the area let me know. I've lived out here my whole life and can probably help you out.
That would be great! I'm learning about the area. The place where my wife would be working is in south Seattle so we are checking areas there.
If you're down south you might want to look a little outside the city and commute in, since that area can be really affordable. SeaTac can be slightly trashy but it's not awful. If you're set on living in Seattle itself, try looking north to the Shoreline area for cheaper housing, or in Fremont/Ballard if you want to live in a place with some life. Avoid anything east of Lake Washington (that's what everyone is talking about when you hear people refer to the "East Side"); the area is expensive and has the worst traffic in the state.
Alan Hawkins liked this
freudiandave wrote:You could do worse. I don't have much of an opinion of that area one way or another. I believe the rents are cheap, but spend some time on Google looking at the commute.
Yeah, I work from home and take care of our spawn. My wife will have the commute. What sucks about Renton is I like doing improv and most of the theaters are up north from there. So that might be a grind for me. I've been watching places on Zillow and they only seem to be up for a few days and then they are gone. The cost of rent vs Chicago is about the same, but the availability seems worse.

Thank you for your help btw. :)
Oh hey there! Ok so I am really late to this discussion... anyway I live in the Georgetown industrial neighborhood just north of Boeing Field. Its noisy with SeaTac and Boeing air traffic but otherwise an affordable Seattle SODO area to live with two incomes, I think the houses are still around the $300,000 mark for 3 beds 1 bath, etc.
Renton is decent but there is an area called "highlands" which is cheap and your car will get stolen weekly, Don't rent there. Try the new area called "the landing" which is by the other Boeing Field owned by Paul Allen of Microsoft. Some decent apts. there and also a couple parks, strip mall areas to walk to.
In North Seattle the Ballard area and Greenwood area are cool and sorta affordable. The VA you speak of is walkable from my house but I don't have a local grocery just 5 bars 3 pizza places and a Harbor Freight tools.
So I am interested in starting a franchise for Seattle but have yet to meet many locals and am not sure where other folks are on their pack builds. It seems to be the largest financial undertaking and, well, that's because it is.
Alan Hawkins liked this
You don't need packs to start a franchise, soft goods and belt gear, two or three like minded (and geared up) people and some guidelines for how you want to work with charities.

My hope is to rent a house with a garage. I have to build things or I'll go crazy. So there could be build days.
Well to start I was thinking a couple other GB fans would be great to attend the outdoor movie showings and comic cons as a team. Also I have lots of spare parts to swap or trade as I have this OCD thing where I buy 2 of everything (including electronics).
The EMP (experience music project) is in Seatttle center and their Halloween costume party is amazing with a $1000 prize etc. I haven't been in a while as I am usually slated to take my 5 year old son to a kids costume thing the same night.

Oh yeah if you can get a garage with decent lighting you'll be set...

-Dave Press
Alan Hawkins liked this
That's great! I helped start the Windy City Ghostbusters http://windycitygb.com and am currently working on making molds of all the parts for packs and guns. Plus some belt gear. I'm still learning but so far my parts have come out pretty good.

We will probably be out there in November. If we can't move before winter then we will see if we can get it delayed to the Spring. Winter in Chicago is no time to move. But it all depends on the FED.

I hit you up on the facebooks. If anyone else in this thread wants to friend me please do.
Great! Would like to see you at Fremont! There was a few guys at the Portland outdoor movie showing last weekend on Facebook and looked like they had a great time.
Hello Alan. I'm mostly inactive on these forums due to delays in my build. So it sounds like you will be coming out here to Puget Sound? I'm an eastsider in Kirkland but have lived in Renton and Seattle/Beacon Hill. Let me know if you need any help too. I'd love to get in with an active group like the Chicago or Louisiana Franchises

William
Yeah Alan and FreudianDave( and anyone else reading this) I have been trying to decide. Let me know which sounds better:

Seattle Ghostbusters or Emerald City Ghostbusters.

I am leaning towards the latter only because we have Emerald City Comic Con.... But trying not to copyright infringe or whatever.

It might just be easier to petition Lex San and join the PNW Ghostbusters. There is a FB page (check it out).

Any and all suggestions please speak up I would like to have a decent showing next March at the convention center. It's embarrassing when the Canadians have more staff and photos than Seattle in our home town!
freudiandave wrote:I'd prefer Emerald City. It's not infringing, Emerald City is just a nickname for the city. If PNW isn't Seattle centered, I don't see why we can't affiliate with them but still be our own city specific crew.
I like Emerald City GB too.
OK, I am going to ponder this and post something on the Seattle 2013/24 thread. maybe a "no ghost" logo idea. something with the space needle or other landmark... I dunno yet. I'm not much of an artist, I work on medical electronics by trade.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 22&t=34900

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]